• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Only slightly less useless than the rest of the game :p

Best thing about Tita is simply her area attack. Put a petrify or death quartz on her and hope it activates early and often.

anyone else using every available character? i always switch around whenever possible. i even keep gear on the same character. aint nobody got time to switch that.

Erheller

Chapter 7 end spoilers:

5paBJcA.jpg

Psxphile

Isn't the 3rd more of a dungeon crawl with cutscenes in between?

Also I read that there are
16!!!! characters holy shit.
Can confirm. Was looking at a video the other day, seemed to be the game's final dungeon maybe. The game
splits your massive group of PCs up into 4 teams of four, and each one tackles a different area of the dungeon. You're allowed to put anyone in any one team. Basically anyone who was ever a party member in SC is available, and then some.

ALSO about chapter 8, poor Tita. She becomes effectively USELESS.
How so? I know you guys don't like her very much, but I don't think I understand why. Her AoE physical has always managed to get me through some tough jams. I assume it's because of her low HP and defense that she gets benched more often than not.

EDIT: ooooooh right, the
ZFG
. That makes sense. I used her and Zane in the final dungeon of Chapter 7 and beat a bunch of Shiny Poms while there, which made their levels go through the roof, so I basically benched them for the whole of Chapter 8 while the others caught up. Yeah, I can see why it could be a problem in the final legs of that chapter.

Only slightly less useless than the rest of the game :p

Best thing about Tita is simply her area attack. Put a petrify or death quartz on her and hope it activates early and often.
Basically this. Although late-game enemies tend to start resisting deathblows and the better status effects.

anyone else using every available character? i always switch around whenever possible. i even keep gear on the same character. aint nobody got time to switch that.
Pretty much the same here. I choose my party based on who's falling behind on experience rather than who I prefer to use for battle. No one left behind! That's basically how I play all jRPGs. It's even easier to manage in Trails because low-level party members level-up fast in regular battles. Usually Estelle + second-in-command is able to carry the team anyway.

Yeah I use everyone including bringing
Josette, Mueller, and Julia to various enforcer boss battles
. I always try to use everyone in JRPGs evenly anyways except for games like Chrono Cross, Suikoden, or tactics rpgs because they throw waaaay too many playable characters at you to reasonably use them all.

Also there's a reason why chapter 8
leaves you with one Zero field
so it's not like Tita just ends up perma bench at that point unless you want to. Besides she's a good character yeah if I had to tier her she'd be one of the lower characters but she does have a lot of good things going for her.

hohoXD123

Don't play on Hard.

Or prepare to grind and possibly ruin your experience with the game unless that's your thing.

Bit late for that now, rather not have to replay the 2 and a half hours >_<

I know there's no "official" way of changing the difficulty mid-game but is there some tinkering I can do of some files for the steam version?

mugwhump

^Actually yes, remember the "retry offset" option? Makes battles easier if you lose.
Anyway, you'll want that second blue quartz from the sewer so you can get la tear. Then group your characters together at the back so they can't be separated. The boss will start healing himself when he drops below 2300, so have some s-crafts ready. You might wanna grind to level 40, I was 42 when I did it but probably could've been lower.
It's a real challenge, but I'm glad I stuck with it. The challenge drops off and people say normal gets kinda easy.

Beat chapter 3. That boss on hard was brutal.
Finished off the tank, everybody's hurting, but thinking "at least it's over"... then amalthea pops out. lol.

I for one would like to see an anime adaptation which realistically depicted fight scenes, with characters running around shoving food in each other's mouths and killing the boss with meatballs.

fuzaco

I'm in chapter 9,
at Bladelord, and can anyone tell me why there was no Renne fight for me? According to walkthroughs, there was supposed to be one but my party just simply activated the terminal and that's it.

Bit late for that now, rather not have to replay the 2 and a half hours >_<

I know there's no "official" way of changing the difficulty mid-game but is there some tinkering I can do of some files for the steam version?

Nope, the only way is to start a new file. I started on hard as well and gave up after that boss wiped the floor with me about 10 times. It's just not worth the frustration when the game is already 55+ hours, it also took less than half as long to get back to him because I just skipped the dialogue and knew where all the chests were.

Damn that sucks. Can anyone tell me what happened storywise?
Also what happened with Zane and Walter because I didn't bring him and didn't want to beat him again.

Walter reveals the master was going to pass down the dojo to Zane instead of Killika and Walter wanted to fight Zane in a battle to the death to win the dojo for his love interest when the master barred Walter from fighting Zane which led to the duel where the master died. Zane reveals the master had cancer and was going to die soon meaning he intentionally let Walter kill him. Zane and Walter then have their final confrontation and Zane wins leaving Walter unconciois on the floor.

After the Renne & Pater Mater fight Estelle slaps Renne then hugs her, giving an Estelle speech which further digs into Renne's heart confusing her and causing her to cry. Renne panics and flees with Pater Mater saying she needs time to process Estelle's words. Seems like a story line that will be concluded in 3rd

fuzaco

Just finished it. What a great game! Really want to play TC now, I'm guessing we
learn more about Kevin there and it ties up most of the loose ends.
And Zero and Ao too... Sigh, I'll just buy Cold Steel (even though I don't really have much interest in it compared to the other games) and hope for the best concerning the older games.

hohoXD123

Nope, the only way is to start a new file. I started on hard as well and gave up after that boss wiped the floor with me about 10 times. It's just not worth the frustration when the game is already 55+ hours, it also took less than half as long to get back to him because I just skipped the dialogue and knew where all the chests were.

That's nothing compared to the painful hours lost due to playing on Hard. Restart while you can.

Damn, guess I'm restarting...
I just assumed normal would be too easy like in FC, should have researched a bit beforehand.

evilalien

Used her even in the last boss. No regrets.

Good Area attacks and healing. I also stacked her status for attack, so she was dealing considerable damage at extremely long range.

He's talking about chapter 8 specifically where she can end up pretty much useless because of certain things. She's definitely useful elsewhere.

Xeteh

I wish characters sitting on the sideline leveled with Estelle. I just never swapped them in once they fell behind unless I was forced to. Its a bummer but I just don't have it in me, which means I missed out on some cutscenes later in the game but I just watched those on youtube instead.

Linkark07

Banned
Heh, didn't have any problem with her (granted, playing in normal instead of hard).

In the end, Agate and
Joshua
were the real threats for the enemy, Estelle was just raising everyone's morale and Tita was healing.

Bladenic

Heh, didn't have any problem with her (granted, playing in normal instead of hard).

In the end, Agate and
Joshua
were the real threats for the enemy, Estelle was just raising everyone's morale and Tita was healing.

I used Zane instead of Tita and worked really well. Thank the gods I fought those worms with 2 ZFG left but I got lucky with some crits and got a lot of them killed with S-crafts. I could see that fight being really hard otherwise.

Xeteh

I used Zane instead of Tita and worked really well. Thank the gods I fought those worms with 2 ZFG left but I got lucky with some crits and got a lot of them killed with S-crafts. I could see that fight being really hard otherwise.

It wasn't hard, just super slow since you have to single target them all down so it takes forever... some say people are still fighting them today.

Linkark07

Banned
It wasn't hard, just super slow since you have to single target them all down so it takes forever... some say people are still fighting them today.

Yeah, it was slow.

In my case, managed to get most of them together, so started delaying their turns for avoid their attacks.

Also,
is Josette useful or she should just stay in the ship? Used her once and found she even lacks a S-Craft

Taruranto

A bit late, but about the character design talk: Given the "quality" of the original character design for Ys 7, I think no one at Falcom know what the hell they are doing.

Made more progress in Chapter 9. I'm having the same issues I had with Chapter 7 honestly. When the entire chapter is just dungeon crawling without the town/NPC/guild/sidestory stuff supporting it, I just don't feel it's as fun. I think it exposes a lot of the flaws of the game as well - the slower than ideal battle system, the repetitive enemy patterns, the slow animations for lifts/teleporters/etc.

Should still be able the clear the game within the next couple of days I think. But I'm going to have to re-evaluate how excited I am for 3rd after this, since I hear it's one huge dungeon crawl. :/

Yeah, that's where the game lost steam for me too. I think the chapter would have been improved much more without all the backtracking to the
ship
and generally a better designed area.

And for the story...
Zemuria itself could have been much more for sure. More logs about the people on the past, etc

Then there is the issue with the Aureole and Oroborus which I already lamented some posts ago.

Yeah, it was slow.

In my case, managed to get most of them together, so started delaying their turns for avoid their attacks.

Also,
is Josette useful or she should just stay in the ship? Used her once and found she even lacks a S-Craft

She is the worst character in the party, though she will get an scraft once you rescue her brothers. Her use comes in her 30% def down craft and her ability to do decent damage at a long range while not being as frail as Tita. She also has an orbament like Estelle which is more flexible then most melee units desite the forced earth

Isn't the 3rd more of a dungeon crawl with cutscenes in between?

Also I read that there are
16!!!! characters holy shit.

Anyway, still going through chapter 8. People who use Agate and Zane probably gonna laugh at me but I've just in this chapter used them to their full potential. That being Zane as a tank with Taunt and Agate as a Final Break machine with Wild Rage.

Not really a spoiler, but I guess some might consider it one.
There is an armor for her (only she can equip it) in the final dungeon that has ridiculously high defense so she doesn't get 1 or 2 shot by most things, but it is fairly late in chapter 9.

I used her in Chapter 8, I just let her have the
zfg the whole time

Wait, wyrdwad was banned? No wonder we haven't seen him post around lately.

I kind of missed that whole thing too. I wanted to ask about it, but a Mod made a post about how everyone has to abide by policies, so I figured it was best to leave it alone.

Nyoro SF

Crap,
have to use Josette for enter the Glorius. Thanks for reminding everyone about the tomboy, Estelle.

She's not as bad as people make her out to be, but I found her forced inclusion to be really obnoxious. Never once struck me as an important character even during her scenes with Joshua.

Psxphile

I kind of missed that whole thing too. I wanted to ask about it, but a Mod made a post about how everyone has to abide by policies, so I figured it was best to leave it alone.
I read that post without any context of what was happening and it left me scratching my head. I'm still left wondering what exactly happened.

She's not as bad as people make her out to be, but I found her forced inclusion to be really obnoxious. Never once struck me as an important character even during her scenes with Joshua.

Always the bridesmaid...

Just a reminder: you can get SC for 10%-off over at GOG (Winter Sale) if you want a DRM-free version.

Josette isn't annoying, even if she's even more loud-mouthed (and wide-eyed) than Estelle or Kloe. And I can't think of anything forced about the Sky Bandits interlude on Liber Ark other than how it exacerbates the main flaws of Finale (unskippable, long animations and treks back-and-forth going against common sense)

Hopefully Tom can fix the Marvelous forums to be more easily accessible (password retrieval's still down, and you have to sign in from Marvelous's USA website, and that can take a while to load).

Xeteh

I really like that they added her in as playable, I just wish she was more useful when they did. I love the dumb banter between her and Estelle but I just couldn't justify sitting Kloe or Kevin for.

Aeana

I never do this, but because I'm tired of being contacted about it, and I'm tired of seeing people give misinformation, I'm going to say one time:

wyrdwad was banned for 2 months for the combination of this post and this post. Not for any other posts, and it is not permanent.

Do not respond to this post in this thread. If you want to talk about it, as usual, we ask that you PM a moderator.

So, I'm on Chapter 7 and will the dungeon designs for the
altered version of the four towers
will have a repetitive layout? I was at Carnelia Tower, and I noticed that I'm doing the same thing like I did for Esmelda Tower.

Linkark07

Banned

As a character, I like her. Always find amusing the volley of insults Estelle and Josette throws to each other. Now, as a playable character, she is kinda disappointing.

Shouta

I don't have a problem with pandering, myself, but Fie's outfit in Sen 2 really made me do a double take. It looks kinda out of nowhere and like it doesn't fit with any of the designs of the rest of the cast. Someone feel free to correct me on if there's a good reason for it besides being figure-making bait.

There's a pretty good reason for it and the reasoning can be extrapolated from the first game even if you don't know any background on her character. Quite a few folks had a gut reaction to the design when Sen II was announced but it makes way more sense when you think about it.

I really like the art style and character designs of whoever did TitS FC/SC and Ys Origins/Oath.

Cold Steel looks very... generic? To me.

Whoever did Adol's Ys 7 rendition is also great.

Cold Steel's art is just more in line with what's more common in art and design nowadays. Sky and the earlier Ys games have what's common from that period of time is all. It's about the same amount of generic really. The difference is what you're more familiar with.

Finalow

-
And for the story...
Zemuria itself could have been much more for sure. More logs about the people on the past, etc
I understand the feeling of "wanting to know more" but here it's not really an issue of the writing or the story. FC and SC are hardly the only 2 games where that lore is present, so I wasn't expecting more than what we got. and actually we already see/read quite a bit of history, e.g. the stuff at the museum, the logs, the crystals etc.
it's obvious that when you're writing something big like this, you want to focus on the characters and events of the single games and you surely don't want to explain everything about the history of the continent or the whatever ancient civilization in one go.

finished the game. about Kevin
what happens if he's in your active party at the end? He just disappears and reappears magically? New dialogue in his scene with Weissmann?
-
also curious about
Kevin&Loewe
anyone^?

and I'd like to know what happens if you bring
Zane at the Walter fight and Schera at the Lucciola fight.
more backstory stuff and/or action scenes? I wish there was a video or something because honestly I won't really enjoy doing the last dungeon again, I don't even think I have a save file where I'm near that dungeon entrance.

Bladenic

Finally in chapter 9. The end is near-ish! I think!

Anyway I got Rank A Bracer too! All Gambler books. Now to decide who the heck I'm gonna use as my final party (or if I'm gonna switch them around a bit)

Gu4n

I understand the feeling of "wanting to know more" but here it's not really an issue of the writing or the story. FC and SC are hardly the only 2 games where that lore is present, so I wasn't expecting more than what we got. and actually we already see/read quite a bit of history, e.g. the stuff at the museum, the logs, the crystals etc.
it's obvious that when you're writing something big like this, you want to focus on the characters and events of the single games and you surely don't want to explain everything about the history of the continent or the whatever ancient civilization in one go.

anyone^?

and I'd like to know what happens if you bring
Zane at the Walter fight and Schera at the Lucciola fight.
more backstory stuff and/or action scenes? I wish there was a video or something because honestly I won't really enjoy doing the last dungeon again, I don't even think I have a save file where I'm near that dungeon entrance.

About Kevin:
Nothing about the dialogue changes. Loewe does make an interesting remark if you take Kevin to his fight.

About the second spoiler tag:
Yes, you get scenes and backstory if you bring Zane and Schera with you to the Walter and Lucciora fight. I am not entirely sure what the scenes are like without them, since I never tried that.

And yes, FC and SC are barely scraping the surface of Zemuria's long, long history. Fortunately, Trails of Cold Steel is around the corner and offers another peek in the history books.

zakujanai

About the second spoiler tag:
Yes, you get scenes and backstory if you bring Zane and Schera with you to the Walter and Lucciora fight. I am not entirely sure what the scenes are like without them, since I never tried that.

The scenes without them are basically them saying "You really should've brought the appropriate character to this fight to avoid seeing another boring running away scene. I'll get them next time" or something like that.

i used
josette for a bit when she joined. her special attack can debuff def. that's pretty powerful if you have a hard hitting party. also her s-craft which unlocks a bit later is kinda hilarous. looks like a low-budget FF summon attack. i like that stuff.

Top Bottom