• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Bladenic

The ending was perfect. Dying for The 3rd now, I love Kevin.

If I had to choose between 3rd and Zero/Azure, I'd choose the latter. But if I had to choose between 3rd and Zero with Azure being an SC situation or something happening and Azure not being localized, I'd take 3rd right away.

Bring on Cold Steel ASAP!

Chapter 9

Loewe's ridiculously high speed, multiplication, and Silver Thorn are giving me a ton of problems in addition to his adds. Wish I had the proper foresight to bring 4 anti-confuse charms with me, guess its time to make the 10 minute trip back to buy shit -___-

Edit:
holy shit? 8-9k on that ice s-break? wtf at this spike in difficulty

Chapter 9

Loewe's ridiculously high speed, multiplication, and Silver Thorn are giving me a ton of problems in addition to his adds. Wish I had the proper foresight to bring 4 anti-confuse charms with me, guess its time to make the 10 minute trip back to buy shit -___-

Edit:

Bring Kevin you can activate his scraft before Loewe can move. Loewe is also susceptible to all stat down moves so after lowering his speed with clock down and raising yours you can either use a def/str down art or craft to make him pretty harmless. Have Kevin keep applying Earth Wall manually if anyone loses it during the fight with action 4 on everyone and cast 2 on your mages you should get so many turns Loewe can't do much. Focus on killing Loewe and hope he doesn't make 2-3 clones before you kill him.

Bring Kevin you can activate his scraft before Loewe can move. Loewe is also susceptible to all stat down moves so after lowering his speed with clock down and raising yours you can either use a def/str down art or craft to make him pretty harmless. Have Kevin keep applying Earth Wall manually if anyone loses it during the fight with action 4 on everyone and cast 2 on your mages you should get so many turns Loewe can't do much. Focus on killing Loewe and hope he doesn't make 2-3 clones before you kill him.

Yup,
turns out Kevin was a big help after all. Saved my ass a few times with his s-break when everyone had low health and I guessed Loewe would use his s-break. Luckily, I took him down quick (thanks food items), so he couldn't use it anymore even though I still had to deal with his clones. Also, gat damn I leveled up a lot. Guess I'm gonna need them now that I'm right out front of the final boss's door, but I'm gonna save that and the ending for tomorrow.

Linkark07

Banned
Chapter 9

Edit:

Which difficulty are you playing for that fight? In my case, on normal, I used Kloe and Agate and didn't have any problem with the fight. He killed some party members a few times but managed to defeat him. Also, remember to slow him down.

Which difficulty are you playing for that fight? In my case, on normal, I used Kloe and Agate and didn't have any problem with the fight. He killed some party members a few times but managed to defeat him. Also, remember to slow him down.

Normal. I didn't think he was weak to slow, I remember using clock down on his pets, but he resisted it, but I might be wrong idk. Anyway, I already beat him after a few tries. That food item/s-break spam

And done! What a fantastic finish to the Liberl arc. Thanks so much to XSEED for localizing this, it was so well worth the wait for it.

Hope we can get TC and the 2 games before Cold Steel, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen. At least we get some form of resolution for the story unlike with only FC and we are getting Cold Steel in less than two weeks as well.

His clones resist it, he does not.

Ha didn't know that. Oh well, I'm actually kind of surprised as
he was way tougher of a boss than all three forms of Weissman.

omgfloofy

Banned
Edit:

Thank the people who complained after SC's original release. :D

People complained on the BBS (Falcom used to have on their site) that the fight wasn't hard enough, especially considering who it was. So Falcom obliged and patched the game to make it harder. The PSP version (and later PC re-issues also, I think?) had the 'rebalancing patch' applied to it automatically as well.

People complained on the BBS (Falcom used to have on their site) that the fight wasn't hard enough, especially considering who it was. So Falcom obliged and patched the game to make it harder. The PSP version (and later PC re-issues also, I think?) had the 'rebalancing patch' applied to it automatically as well.

LOL. That's kind of amazing.

In retrospect
I am glad that Loewe was as tough as he is. He's much stronger than the rest of the enforcers and probably stronger than Weissman without the power of the Gospel/Aureole. The final boss was pretty weak though which was kind of sad, but it was still a really fun fight.

that's a good thing. people should complain more. we need harder games. SC is too easy :/

That's actually pretty awesome.

I definitely had my moments of frustration with that fight, but it was a really memorable one and I'm glad it was as tough as it was.

Nyoro SF

that's a good thing. people should complain more. we need harder games. SC is too easy :/

Personally I think over half the fights could've used a difficulty increase, and that different difficulty levels like Hard and Nightmare weren't necessary (witness the two people killing themselves trying to complete NG Nightmare by grinding themselves to death) just one difficulty with bosses dealing more damage overall and arts costing way more EP and crafts costing more CP would be welcome.

I find it a little sad that I was actually carefully rationing EP in the first two chapters before power creep began settling back in again. Luckily there were many challenging monster fights, but man... (chs. 7 & 9)
can you really be called an Enforcer when I'm not even scared of your Crafts? At least Ch.9 pre-final boss hit for 2k, but he can be debuffed, so it doesn't even matter! lol

SephLuis

And done! What a fantastic finish to the Liberl arc. Thanks so much to XSEED for localizing this, it was so well worth the wait for it.

Hope we can get TC and the 2 games before Cold Steel, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen. At least we get some form of resolution for the story unlike with only FC and we are getting Cold Steel in less than two weeks as well.

TC PSP isn't happening, but if they bring it, will be PC exclusive probably.

I am playing the TC PS3 version and it's more of an epilogue story than anything. You get to know what happened to each character and they give more context about the secondary characters in FC/SC like Mueller, Josette, etc.

It's also one giant dungeon crawl with a hub and you can teleport between different places. I am still on chapter 2 though.

Gu4n

TC PSP isn't happening, but if they bring it, will be PC exclusive probably.

I am playing the TC PS3 version and it's more of an epilogue story than anything. You get to know what happened to each character and they give more context about the secondary characters in FC/SC like Mueller, Josette, etc.

It's also one giant dungeon crawl with a hub and you can teleport between different places. I am still on chapter 2 though.
The 3rd (Falcom refers to it themselves as AC, or Advanced Chapter) is so much more than an epilogue story.

It contains an emotional main story that hit me harder than anything else in the series, and twenty Doors leading to side-stories that massively expand the world-setting of the series. These inform you about Tita's parents, but also what happened in North Ambria fourty years earlier, what happened in Erebonia during FC (and thus the reason Cassius was there), Scherazard's childhood, what the Epstein Foundation is, Renne's background, a report on Phantom Thief B -- in other words, The 3rd is a library of knowledge all the subsequent games will make use of. And yes, whereas it concludes the Sora trilogy, it also inaugurates Zero and Cold Steel.

Bummer that we likely wont be able to migrate our save then

Well

That might be a boon in my case since I have missed so many BP already lol

Heading into Chapter 4 and LOVING it

sounds like my game then. i prefer the dungeon crawls, provided they localise a version with faster battle speed. i usually go with animation speed over attack power in these games, just to have faster battles.

Bummer that we likely wont be able to migrate our save then

Well

That might be a boon in my case since I have missed so many BP already lol

Heading into Chapter 4 and LOVING it

If you're playing on psp/vita you should be able to upload your save to the pc version or just download someone's pc sc save for tc if/when it gets released here.

Gu4n

sounds like my game then. i prefer the dungeon crawls, provided they localise a version with faster battle speed. i usually go with animation speed over attack power in these games, just to have faster battles.
In the Evolution remakes on Vita, you can hold down X to speed up both conversations and battles, or skip animation with a press on the Start button. Hopefully XSEED will implement something similar into the Steam version of FC and SC.

In the Evolution remakes on Vita, you can hold down X to speed up both conversations and battles, or skip animation with a press on the Start button. Hopefully XSEED will implement something similar into the Steam version of FC and SC.

VITA IS LIFE

Thats what I have been playing the entire Kiseki series on thus far and I gotta say

JRPGS are this things killer apps... remember when we used that term guys? Good times

yes, my heart can't take this knowing this was possible in FC and SC on Vita.

SephLuis

The 3rd (Falcom refers to it themselves as AC, or Advanced Chapter) is so much more than an epilogue story.

It contains an emotional main story that hit me harder than anything else in the series, and twenty Doors leading to side-stories that massively expand the world-setting of the series. These inform you about Tita's parents, but also what happened in North Ambria fourty years earlier, what happened in Erebonia during FC (and thus the reason Cassius was there), Scherazard's childhood, what the Epstein Foundation is, Renne's background, a report on Phantom Thief B -- in other words, The 3rd is a library of knowledge all the subsequent games will make use of. And yes, whereas it concludes the Sora trilogy, it also inaugurates Zero and Cold Steel.

I was thinking of beginning Zero before finishing The 3rd.
I will travel and Zero is on Vita, while The 3rd isn't =(. I don't think I can finish The 3rd before the 21st.
Will I miss much if I start Zero without 3rd ?

I am still on cp2 and so far have seen a little bit about
Tita and her parents and what happened to the Capua Family. Just got Joshua into the party

Can I bother you with a PM if I don't understand something after I finish the game ? I am playing, but my japanese isn't enough for me to understand everything that's going on.

So how do you all form your parties? I kind of want Oliveir in my party, mostly for story aspects, but i usually have Kloe in as a staple for her healing arts. Because of that i have to make tough decisions for the 4th person.

irriadin

So how do you all form your parties? I kind of want Oliveir in my party, mostly for story aspects, but i usually have Kloe in as a staple for her healing arts. Because of that i have to make tough decisions for the 4th person.

(Only on Chapter 5)

I usually keep Agate, Scherazard and either Kloe or Olivier as the fourth. Originally, I wasn't a huge fan of the Silver Streak as a member of my party, but given the right orbment setup, she can be ridiculously powerful with arts. And her support craft that boosts everyone's turn is VERY good.

Anyhow... mid-chapter 5 spoilers:

Agate's backstory is surprisingly heartfelt, for all that it is a little cliche. It really makes a lot of sense for him and how he has acted throughout FC / SC to this point. The game drops a lot of hints that something happened to Mischa, but the moment when I read the tombstone in his home village, Agate really "clicked" as a character to me. I'd already liked him to that point, but he's now one of my favorite characters in the game.

The flashback scene with Mischa made me tear up a bit, especially her last line. DAMN YOU GAME! ;_;

Really loving this game. It is a legendary RPG in my mind, and I can already see myself replaying this some day, which is a rarity for me.

Gu4n

I was thinking of beginning Zero before finishing The 3rd.
I will travel and Zero is on Vita, while The 3rd isn't =(. I don't think I can finish The 3rd before the 21st.
Will I miss much if I start Zero without 3rd ?

I am still on cp2 and so far have seen a little bit about
Tita and her parents and what happened to the Capua Family. Just got Joshua into the party

Can I bother you with a PM if I don't understand something after I finish the game ? I am playing, but my japanese isn't enough for me to understand everything that's going on.
I would recommend to not play Zero beyond Chapter 2 without having finished The 3rd.

Feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help out!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally getting into this - so glad I picked Agate in the beginning. He was fairly bland in FC, but he's getting a chance to shine here. I can't believe they let you pick between him and Schera, because I'm into Chapter 2 now and he's still with me and has a lot of dialogue in scenes. I wonder how Schera changes the story.

Looking at the PC screenshots in OP... wow, I may have made a huge mistake. Those look so crisp and clear. At least I get to play it in bed :)

duckroll

Need some guidance from people who have finished it. Chapter 9 spoilers.

I'm at the point now where I can infiltrate the Glorious to save Don and Kyle. I went back to the ship to tell Josette about it, but the game doesn't require me to bring her along. Am I missing much storywise if I don't swap her into the party? She really sucks, so I don't really want to have a gimped party, but I also don't want to miss out on potentially cool story events. Ugh... help.

Bladenic

Need some guidance from people who have finished it. Chapter 9 spoilers.

I'm at the point now where I can infiltrate the Glorious to save Don and Kyle. I went back to the ship to tell Josette about it, but the game doesn't require me to bring her along. Am I missing much storywise if I don't swap her into the party? She really sucks, so I don't really want to have a gimped party, but I also don't want to miss out on potentially cool story events. Ugh... help.

I brought her and I wouldn't have been sad if I hadn't seen those events with her present.

Are you sure she's not required? I was under the impression that she was.

ta9qi

i didnt try to go without her from the beginning, she's so bad in battles, but her dialogs with Estelle make it up @@
completed the game 2 days ago, one of the best JRPG's i played ever.so much great unforgettable scenes, and estelle expressions are GOLD!
playing on Hard made some optional fights nearly impossible..felt this is better story wise!
Thank you Falcom and Xseed for this masterpiece! hope more people play this.

duckroll

I believe the game makes you go back and get her if she isn't in the party for that part

Hmmmm. The game did make me go back, and I went back, and now I'm at the ship, but I talked to her and I don't have any prompt to force her in my party. Maybe when I try to leave? Ugh.

Finally completed this game yesterday. I'm a little disappointed in some aspects; once the plot started rolling in there was a paucity of quiet moments which really made the game for me.

End Game Spoilers/Whining:
All of Chapter 8 I was expecting more quiet or romantic moments, even going out of my way to revisit places like the Bright home or the lakeside, so was sad it was basically all serious business. Still, I'm glad that the game ended on a quiet/emotional note since that's really what Trails seems to do best.

Though really, the plot of this game, and especially the villains, really drags down the main narrative for me. At least in FC you were fighting reasonable goals (take over the country!), and you got the sense that Richard was depending on Bracer neutrality to hold. FC had like, operations to take over places and undermine the coup and a really nice proactive plot where it felt like the villains had to actually adapt and respond to your own actions. A sort of, "and I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling Bracers!". Richard himself was actually personable and at least on the surface level his plan seemed reasonable if a bit fascist.

I am entirely unclear what the main team actually accomplishes in SC. I mean, like, EVERYTHING was "calculated". You never stop the Enforcer's experiments, they just let you go. You don't stop a single tower from activating, they just let you go. Some other dudes stop an invasion of the capital, but "lol, that was just for shits and giggles". I'm not even sure why Ouroboros organized the Erebonian invasion. And the whole Aureole plot was nonsensical; I'm gonna shoot down your airship then LET you be. Oh you beat all the enforcers? Well that was just a test, and I actually wanted you to witness the activation of the Aureole! Weissman has like access to the macguffin for who knows how long and just sits there and waits for you to come to power it up. It's really unsatisfying when Weissman is just plain crazy, card carrying megalomaniacal villain. He pretty much commits suicide by stupidity. And if I'm reading it correctly at the end of the game Campenella just warps away the Aureole stuck in Weissman's staff?

Literally what would change if the protagonists were not around? Weissman would summon the Aureole, Liberl's orbs would all shut down. Then he would deliver the Aureole to the "master", which would remove the city's power source, causing the city to collapse and the orbs to all turn back on. Literally the only difference would be Weissman himself would be alive.

Maybe I could stomach this if my expectations were a shitty, nonsensical JRPG plot but FC really impressed me and raised the bar. On one end you have one dumb main plot, and on the other hand you have these beautiful moments like Ch 2's Kloe scene, Ch 5's Agate scene, Ch 6 and the final parts of the ending. I don't regret playing this, but I really hope Cold Steel is more like FC and less like SC.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but
Gilbert
has the best animations ever. He even has one that specifically plays when he hits an Earth Wall.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm. The game did make me go back, and I went back, and now I'm at the ship, but I talked to her and I don't have any prompt to force her in my party. Maybe when I try to leave? Ugh.

If there is a point where it doesn't let you progress without her, I think it's when you try to go in. So you could grind or do whatever without actually progressing, but once you want to go into the next area you have to bring her along. Might be remembering wrong though, but something implied that I needed to take her along, otherwise I wouldn't have. Because I didn't really want to.

Psxphile

I don't think the game will force her into your party. You're meant to place her in manually and return to the ship to progress.

I didn't have this problem since I put her in to tackle the dungeon just before to raise her levels and just kept going once I got to the ship. And yeah, she's not really all that useful but the ship is still doable with her.

EDIT:
Also rescuing the other Capuas gets you her only S-Craft, so I'm pretty sure you *have* to bring her.

On a not-really-all-that-random note, seems Esterior.net will be doing a "Translation Tuesday" where they fan translate lore from Falcom games every other week. Their first entry was one of the "Star" doors from TitS the 3rd, the one about
Cassius Bright's trip to investigate a series of attacks on Erebonia's Bracer Guilds
. Apparently they're doing that one and others because they'll be addressed in some way in Cold Steel which is releasing later this month.

Nyoro SF

These criticisms I agree with the most and highlights probably the most negative part of SC for me.

And just like you said, it has those great positive points to swing it back up towards a great game.

It's tough to review a game like SC because it has so much content, there's bad parts and great parts but there are so many combined together it makes it tricky to come up with a simple final opinion on it.... I feel overwhelmed by how much unique content the game provides.

max_505

Maybe I could stomach this if my expectations were a shitty, nonsensical JRPG plot but FC really impressed me and raised the bar. On one end you have one dumb main plot, and on the other hand you have these beautiful moments likeCh 2's Kloe scene, Ch 5's Agate scene, Ch 6 and the final parts of the ending. I don't regret playing this, but I really hope Cold Steel is more like FC and less like SC.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but
Gilbert
has the best animations ever. He even has one that specifically plays when he hits an Earth Wall.

Must be because I just got off from work since I can't recall it, but what particular Kloe scene in Ch 2 were you talking about?

Didn't know about the Gilbert-Earth Wall thing. I have to try that when I play SC again.

Man Im only just now getting into Chapter 5

SOOOO GOOD

All the characters in this game... so deep, well realized, and well written

Certain scenes in the two games have already given me the feels man

Kain

As much as I love the first game and I'm liking the second, I find the recycling of locations and assets to be a little off putting. I was expecting a whole new kingdom or something but instead I found I have to revisit ALL the areas from FC again. I know this time around all the places that were locked down in the first game are open, but still, it's not enough. I like the revisiting aspect (hell, Pokemon Gold&Silver are the absolute best because of this) but I feel having to go everywhere again is a little bit too much.

Still, I have high hopes the last episodes will be entirely new locations. Don't crush my hopes please xD

I was expecting a whole new kingdom or something but instead I found I have to revisit ALL the areas from FC again.
Huh, I don't know why people get the idea you're going to leave the country for any moment of time just because you did all the areas in FC. Setting continuity is what SC's whole story relies on, and XSEED's blurb makes that clear. There's new locations in Liberl but you only exit national bounds for a moment way late in the plot. Final chapter has all new areas, by the way.

Obviously the best possible case for SC would have been some re-hauls to city layouts and more new areas to explore, but then I can pie-in-the-sky speculate about what my version of the game would be irrespective of development conditions.

Top Bottom