• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Must be because I just got off from work since I can't recall it, but what particular Kloe scene in Ch 2 were you talking about?

Didn't know about the Gilbert-Earth Wall thing. I have to try that when I play SC again.

The scene in the
school auditorium right after they meet up again for the first time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You can choose party members in this game. My first thought was "oh no, this means less character specific dialogue for your chosen members. One line quips at best."

Nope. Choose Olivier and he still Oliviers his way through into and through every conversation, characters show up in event scenes, etc.

I'm beginning to understand the giant script picture more clearly now. XSeed must have had their work cut out for them, what with all the alternate dialogue paths.

Zeta Oni

So I want the game, but reading the OT indicates playing FC is critical and I don't think I can get both currently.

Decisions, decisions.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So I want the game, but reading the OT indicates playing FC is critical and I don't think I can get both currently.

Decisions, decisions.
FC is a full length RPG. Get that and put SC out of your mind for now. No reason to get them both at the same time.

You can choose party members in this game. My first thought was "oh no, this means less character specific dialogue for your chosen members. One line quips at best."

Nope. Choose Olivier and he still Oliviers his way through into and through every conversation, characters show up in event scenes, etc.

I'm beginning to understand the giant script picture more clearly now. XSeed must have had their work cut out for them, what with all the alternate dialogue paths.

i was in that woodcutter house with agate before the story took me there and they start rambling about their past and stuff. yup, this game is insane with that kind of detail.

SolVanderlyn

Sorry for blowing up this thread, but this game is fiercely amusing (And my Vita battery just died)

I'm only on Chapter 3 and I'm liking SC a LOT more than FC so far, even though FC was pretty good to begin with. It feels like it has a much greater focus and a real story to tell. FC felt like the entire game was basically "here is *region* or *person*, this is why they exist and what they are like" and then never did anything substantial with said region or person. It was fun enough to see Estelle and Joshua travel from place to place and meet new friends, and to discover Liberl one piece at a time, but aside from the final chapter it felt mostly like one giant prologue. SC is like the realization of everything FC spent 40+ hours setting up.

I was excited for Cold Steel before, but now? Cannot wait. Especially since it's in Erebonia. Don't even care about the school setting - that imperial goodness is alluring enough on its own.

Psxphile

Speaking of locations, where was the Prologue set?

Le Locle? According to Cassius it's somewhere in the Leman State, near the Bracer Guild's international headquarters. So it's outside of Liberl Kingdom and takes a day by airship to reach. No idea where Leman is though, none of the maps I've seen online (that I can read) indicate where it might be. Best indication I found was that it was located in "mid-west Zemuria" which is no help at all when we can't even be sure just how big the continent is. Best guess is that it's somewhere east/northeast of Liberl, possibly on the other side of Calvard and/or the Principality of Remiferia, which you can see on this map is located due northeast of Liberl just beyond Crossbell.

I was shocked by how much dialogue each non-mandatory party member would get. Its still noticably less than mandatory ones in certain scenarios, but much more than others that feel like they just got erased from the plot. And in some situations, depending on who you decide to bring can have a major impact on how scenarios play out.

I was shocked by how much dialogue each non-mandatory party member would get. Its still noticably less than mandatory ones in certain scenarios, but much more than others that feel like they just got erased from the plot. And in some situations, depending on who you decide to bring can have a major impact on how scenarios play out.

Indeed. That is one of the most important beauty of Trails series.

Bladenic

Le Locle? According to Cassius it's somewhere in the Leman State, near the Bracer Guild's international headquarters. So it's outside of Liberl Kingdom and takes a day by airship to reach. No idea where Leman is though, none of the maps I've seen online (that I can read) indicate where it might be. Best indication I found was that it was located in "mid-west Zemuria" which is no help at all when we can't even be sure just how big the continent is. Best guess is that it's somewhere east/northeast of Liberl, possibly on the other side of Calvard and/or the Principality of Remiferia, which you can see on this map is located due northeast of Liberl just beyond Crossbell.

Man there's still so much to see. I wonder if it's possible 30 years from now if we'll get a game that ends the series and let's us visit the whole continent.

Linkark07

Banned

That reminds me of that quest when
you had to find the missing cat.

The reaction of everyone when Scherazard was trying to enter the ship was priceless, especially Olivier.

Olivier: Oh yes... Crap, I'm jealous now.

Gu4n

Leman State is at the centre of Zemuria, so probably east of Remiferia and north of Calvard. We know the Holy City of Arteria is also in central Zemuria, probably a city-state in Leman, similar to Vatican City. The other nations we know, North Ambria and Ored, are respectively north of Erebonia and east of Calvard. There's even more than that, but nothing that been mentioned by name so far.

So there's still a lot of ground to cover and Kondo has already announced that once the story in Erebonia is wrapped up, the focus will move to Calvard. The reveal that the online spin-off, Akatsuki no Kiseki, will partially take place in Remiferia has me believe that none of the main series will focus on Remiferia - or North Ambria for that matter - and that we'll continue to move toward Zemuria's eastern half after Erebonia's arc is finished.

Well, we also know that series as a whole passed its halfway mark as of Cold Steel II.

Psxphile

Not to drag this thread even more off-topic but:

Akatsuki no Kiseki

What happened with this? It was announced in 2014 with an estimated release date of 2015 but there's been little new of it since they revealed several TitS characters would be featured in it.

Gu4n

Not to drag this thread even more off-topic but:

What happened with this? It was announced in 2014 with an estimated release date of 2015 but there's been little new of it since they revealed several TitS characters would be featured in it.
No news at all after the announcement that a couple of bracers from Liberlian branches and the Crossbell branch are said to be helping out the main characters. There's a Falcom shareholder meeting this week, though, in which they usually announce new projects. If there's any news on Akatsuki, it's likely we'll hear it there. I'd recommend to keep an eye on Endless History.

Then he would deliver the Aureole to the "master"
Ostensibly, but his own desires took over by end-game.
Paying due diligence to Ouroboros wasn't on his mind before activating it, and Campanella wasn't allowed to intervene and stop. If the Bracers failed to defeat him, Angel Weissmann likely would either have descended on Grancel using the Liber Ark as his fortress, forcibly stealing the crown, or the Aureole would have overwhelmed him and, still absorbing Orbal power in the zone around it, would have prompted an Erebonian invasion allowing Osborne to help Ouroboros for whatever reason they got him in their pocket to begin with. Then Erebonia could forcibly take the ZFGs, ride up to the Liber Ark, and deliver the Aureole to Ouroboros while in the process annexing Liberl. The ambiguity here is whether or not Ouroboros could have known how everything would turn out up to this point. Campanella was obviously smart enough to acknowledge Weissmann's disgrace and warp the Aureole away from the staff, but I don't know (having only played FC and SC) if this was the plan all along

It's not as strong a finish as FC's, but acting like this has little to no logic? Let's agree to disagree. Richard is definitely a more interesting character, though.

I thought they said the Aureole "disappeared". But this would explain why Campanella didn't go after Loewe's sword too (I figured it was "I cant let this demonic(?) staff fall into Church hands in addition to all the rest of this shit Weissman fucked up.) See ya, Kev Baby!"

Ostensibly, but his own desires took over by end-game.
Paying due diligence to Ouroboros wasn't on his mind before activating it, and Campanella wasn't allowed to intervene and stop. If the Bracers failed to defeat him, Angel Weissmann likely would either have descended on Grancel using the Liber Ark as his fortress, forcibly stealing the crown, or the Aureole would have overwhelmed him and, still absorbing Orbal power in the zone around it, would have prompted an Erebonian invasion allowing Osborne to help Ouroboros for whatever reason they got him in their pocket to begin with. Then Erebonia could forcibly take the ZFGs, ride up to the Liber Ark, and deliver the Aureole to Ouroboros while in the process annexing Liberl. The ambiguity here is whether or not Ouroboros could have known how everything would turn out up to this point. Campanella was obviously smart enough to acknowledge Weissmann's disgrace and warp the Aureole away from the staff, but I don't know (having only played FC and SC) if this was the plan all along

It's not as strong a finish as FC's, but acting like this has little to no logic? Let's agree to disagree. Richard is definitely a more interesting character, though.

Yeah, maybe I'm underselling the protagonists here.
I dunno if Weissman's plan was to become the weird-tech thingy, or increase his intelligence (god knows he could've used it), or actually give it away to Oroboros. So yeah, worst case scenario likely averted by the charactesr.
Though I can't deny how unreal and insane the antagonists behave.
I guess I really like the FC villains, but it's entirely reasonable how Richard's forces organized their coup. Hell in SC on the of the NPCs has throwaway lines about how the coup was funded. It made sense why they went out of their way for a bloodless coup. I can understand how FC villains were defeated, how they miscalculated. They were believable villains in a very believable and practical world. Practically nothing makes sense about Ouroboros, from the ludicrous technology gap, to their entire private army. Going by the stuff they field their GDP must be like twice that of Liberl's. Weissman is an organ-playing maniac somehow in charge of a huge chunk of this? I get they're supposed to be mysterious Illuminati with shadowy motives that secretly controls the world, but it would really help me if I could identify a motive.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I thought they said the Aureole "disappeared". But this would explain why Campanella didn't go after Loewe's sword too (I figured it was "I cant let this demonic(?) staff fall into Church hands in addition to all the rest of this shit Weissman fucked up.) See ya, Kev Baby!"

That is all that was said, IIRC.
It sounds like there was either a minor oversight in the translation and a small detail was left out prior that would allow us to correctly determine where it "disappeared" to, or something from 3rd was dropped in this thread that was thought to be from SC. Loewe and Weissman name dropped "Divergent Laws" and say both of their weapons were made them (or something along those lines) when Loewe attacks Angel Weissman, but nothing was said or implied about them having the capability to "store" a Sept-Terrion.

That, or I completely missed a chunk of text somewhere.

I get they're supposed to be mysterious Illuminati with shadowy motives that secretly controls the world, but it would really help me if I could identify a motive.

If what I read a while back is accurate, it doesn't sound like any of the games actually explain their full motive, just smaller objectives like what we saw in SC with hints toward the big objective. I've seen some speculation about their true goals, including suggestions that Ouroboros are actually the "good guys" somehow.

Maybe we'll get enough of the other games in the series to get an idea of what's going on.

That is all that was said, IIRC.
It sounds like there was either a minor oversight in the translation and a small detail was left out prior that would allow us to correctly determine where it "disappeared" to, or something from 3rd was dropped in this thread that was thought to be from SC. That, or I completely missed a chunk of text somewhere.
It definitely wasn't a translation oversight. I'm pretty sure the whole
Campanella taking both Weissmann's staff and the Aureole hidden in its hoop
spoiler is mentioned in 3rd.

Practically nothing makes sense about Ouroboros, from the ludicrous technology gap, to their entire private army.
The Society's tech advantage is still a bit of a mystery (nothing about Divergent Arts has yet been explained), but they're mostly hiring Jaeger corps. for muscle and letting Doctor Novartis produce Orbal Archaisms at the Thirteen Factories, the latter of which is like Saruman's Orc nurseries but for the Kiseki games
. It's up to Falcom to flesh out these details now that we're halfway through the series as of Sen II.

duckroll

Huh... I got to what I assume is the final dungeon in Chapter 9, but there was something weird. It seemed like some cutscenes played out of order?
When I got out of the Axis station from underground, there was a "hey look at that" cutscene, then I was automatically in the next screen heading towards the pillar. I moved forward and there was a fight with a Riot Lion and some scrub bots, and then I entered the tower. I left the tower and went back to the station screen to look for the rail elevator, and when I did, I got a cutscene where everyone was standing outside the station talking about the Axis pillar as if they just saw it. It seems like that should have been the scene that played when I got out of the station instead? What gives?

Huh... I got to what I assume is the final dungeon in Chapter 9, but there was something weird. It seemed like some cutscenes played out of order?
When I got out of the Axis station from underground, there was a "hey look at that" cutscene, then I was automatically in the next screen heading towards the pillar. I moved forward and there was a fight with a Riot Lion and some scrub bots, and then I entered the tower. I left the tower and went back to the station screen to look for the rail elevator, and when I did, I got a cutscene where everyone was standing outside the station talking about the Axis pillar as if they just saw it. It seems like that should have been the scene that played when I got out of the station instead? What gives?

Yeah there is some wonkyness with the scenes there I dunno if thats a bug that cropped up in the xseed translation or a hold over from Falcom's original release though.

jschreier

Just started Chapter 8. Anything I should know to make sure I see the hidden stuff? I don't care about unique accessories; I just want to do all the quests with interesting stories/character development.

duckroll

Just started Chapter 8. Anything I should know to make sure I see the hidden stuff? I don't care about unique accessories; I just want to do all the quests with interesting stories/character development.

- Don't complete all of the initial main delivery quest before visiting Grancel
- In each of the 3 cities where you deliver the generators to, there is a hidden story side quest which you do not want to miss, some also trigger additional cutscenes in the respective towns after you beat them, so be on a look out

IIRC, that's about it.

jschreier

- Don't complete all of the initial main delivery quest before visiting Grancel
- In each of the 3 cities where you deliver the generators to, there is a hidden story side quest which you do not want to miss, some also trigger additional cutscenes in the respective towns after you beat them, so be on a look out

IIRC, that's about it.
Cool, thanks. Is there a recommended order?

Bose -> zeiss -> grancel -> rolent

Bose has some really powerful defensive gear if you want to go gambling. It really doesn't matter though just make sure you complete everything in Grancel before turning in the last generator.

Psxphile

As said, each town has some unique scenes that'll play out when you talk to the right people or visit certain areas. Many important sidequests won't be made available until you first make the delivery to the respective guild house. And some scenes can only be seen after those sidequests are complete.

I went Bose -> Ruan ->Zeiss -> Grancel -> Rolent, but the game doesn't seem to care what order you tackle them. Going by the order you find the remaining Gambler Jack books, the "right" order seems to be Rolent -> Bose -> Ruan -> Zeiss (i.e. FC order of events), with a visit to Grancel anytime before making the final delivery in order to complete the guild requests for that region (you won't get a chance later).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Basically there is a ton of missable stuff in chapter 8. I got the books and did the quests and was surprised to hear how much I missed.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently you can also catch that lake master fish in chapter 8 which gets you some kind of reward, and you need to do that before giving out all the ZFGs so you can go to the fishing guild.

Psxphile

Central Market holds a revival sale where you can get some useful items for end-game
Also
one of the Gambler Jacks.

Apparently you can also catch that lake master fish in chapter 8 which gets you some kind of reward, and you need to do that before giving out all the ZFGs so you can go to the fishing guild.
Can confirm the first part. Too bad I did it after making the last delivery.

Finally finished my run, and enjoyed every bit of it, but damn that
Loewe
fight was such a pain in the ass. But there are too many left opened doors, and too many questions left unanswered. Here's hoping that the Third Chapter will get translated.

SephLuis

Loewe
fight was such a pain in the ass. But there are too many left opened doors, and too many questions left unanswered. Here's hoping that the Third Chapter will get translated.

Gotta hope that XSEED sells enough copies to do a PC version. They already said they won't be working in another PSP game ever again.

Bladenic

Loewe

I loved that fight. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know, but I had a blast with it. First try, and he still had 3 clones up.

Bladenic

It took me 90 hours to get everything that is possible to get in a single playthrough on Normal, but I'm known to be a tad slower than the average player. So I'd say 70-80 hours?

Fuckkkkkkk, was hoping for more 40 hours like FC. I ain't got time for these gamesssss

So, I finished Chapter 8. Damn, that was one info dump on the lore. For those who played Sen no Kiseki/Trails of Cold Steel....

Do we get to see all of the Erberonia references that were mentioned in SC such as City of Parm, The Iron Chancellor: Giliath Osborne, and their Noble Caste System in Trails in Cold Steel?

ta9qi

how come alot of you guys played all these games of the series that still didnt get localized.. is there a fan translations somewhere or you just understand japanese?

Gu4n

Fuckkkkkkk, was hoping for more 40 hours like FC. I ain't got time for these gamesssss
It is very FC-like in the sense that Cold Steel I and II were originally intended to be one game, but Falcom had to cut it in half to make it fit on the Vita cartridge.

So, I finished Chapter 8. Damn, that was one info dump on the lore. For those who played Sen no Kiseki/Trails of Cold Steel....

Do we get to see all of the Erberonia references that were mentioned in SC such as City of Parm, The Iron Chancellor: Giliath Osborne, and their Noble Caste System in Trails in Cold Steel?
No, yes and yes.

There are no English fan translations for any Kiseki games.
There is a Zero no Kiseki fan translation being worked on, but I haven't heard of any progress in the last couple of months (if they have made progress, I simply haven't heard of it).

In the category of shameless self-plugs, I've teamed up with omgfloofy from Endless History to translate a couple of Doors from The 3rd for the new column, Translation Tuesday. We picked a handful of doors that provide more insight in what has already happened in FC or SC and tie in with Cold Steel. Especially Cold Steel II tends to rely heavily on The 3rd, and since there's no indication that a localisation will be shipped out before Cold Steel II's release, we provide a contextual bridge between Sky and Cold Steel. We won't be doing the doors that would lead into Zero and/or Ao.

Maybe it's best to continue further Cold Steel discussions in this thread?

Top Bottom