• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

There is a Zero no Kiseki fan translation being worked on, but I haven't heard of any progress in the last couple of months (if they have made progress, I simply haven't heard of it).

Yeah, I should have put clarified that I meant finished projects. The closest we've got is that awful machine translated Nayuta patch, which doesn't really qualify as English.

Psxphile

There is a Zero no Kiseki fan translation being worked on, but I haven't heard of any progress in the last couple of months (if they have made progress, I simply haven't heard of it).
About that: this was posted last week.

There is a tentative release date planned for this. But it is a long way off. You could play Sora no Kiseki SC and Sen no Kiseki both comfortably before this patch is released. Yesterday I laid out the formal timeline leading up to the release and hopefully we can pull it off. I can say more updates about the project will start flowing out in the early month of next year. The sheer amount of work that we have put into this has been time consuming but a great learning experience. Ao no Kiseki should run a whole lot smoother when we start it. In the meantime, we do have other games that we will hopefully release to tide everybody over.

Make of that as you will.

Gu4n

Oh wow, I had no idea it was still going on.

So, how bad would playing Zero before 3rd be?
Apart from ruining yourself a plot line set up in SC and continued in The 3rd, it wouldn't be too bad, I think. Like FC and Cold Steel I, Zero is a pretty self-contained story focusing on world-building.

ta9qi

Happy to hear about the Zero fan translation hope its keep going well and (with no falcom interceptions), now its just 3rd is the missing link..hope Xseed do it since i heard here it doesnt have a troubling script as the two previous chapters
Do you know Chinese or Korean?
Only arabic and -not that good- english which make me sadly just watch your discussions without being part of it p=

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It is very FC-like in the sense that Cold Steel I and II were originally intended to be one game, but Falcom had to cut it in half to make it fit on the Vita cartridge.

No, yes and yes.

In the category of shameless self-plugs, I've teamed up with omgfloofy from Endless History to translate a couple of Doors from The 3rd for the new column, Translation Tuesday. We picked a handful of doors that provide more insight in what has already happened in FC or SC and tie in with Cold Steel. Especially Cold Steel II tends to rely heavily on The 3rd, and since there's no indication that a localisation will be shipped out before Cold Steel II's release, we provide a contextual bridge between Sky and Cold Steel. We won't be doing the doors that would lead into Zero and/or Ao.

Maybe it's best to continue further Cold Steel discussions in this thread?
Just wanted to say that I love your posts in this thread, they're all very helpful and informative. Your blog is nice too.

Also, I am absolutely in love with this boss music. Can't wait for the Evo version of the OST.

omgfloofy

Banned
Just wanted to say that I love your posts in this thread, they're all very helpful and informative. Your blog is nice too.

I'm actually the owner of Endless History. I've got Guan teaming up with me on a few of the Translation Tuesdays, and I'll have some others team up on others, and I've got a few of them that I'm working on personally as well.

Psxphile

I'm actually the owner of Endless History. I've got Guan teaming up with me on a few of the Translation Tuesdays, and I'll have some others team up on others, and I've got a few of them that I'm working on personally as well.

I was actually talking about that feature 2 pages ago. Looking forward to more. Is it every Tuesday or every other Tuesday?

omgfloofy

Banned
I was actually talking about that feature 2 pages ago. Looking forward to more. Is it every Tuesday or every other Tuesday?

Every other Tuesday. I'd kill myself doing it every Tuesday. xD

EDIT: Though Guan's given me grief elsewhere, stating that that that would be because I'm already killing myself in 3rd Nightmare right now. :p

I loved that fight. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know, but I had a blast with it. First try, and he still had 3 clones up.

Nice!! Yeah for me I totally had to change my approach in terms of casting spells after the first few fights, since my orbment setups were more emphasized on power then on speed. So yeah, every time more then two clones appeared my team would get wrecked just on interrupts alone.

Gotta hope that XSEED sells enough copies to do a PC version. They already said they won't be working in another PSP game ever again.

Yeah, it just sucks that this games release wasn't as explosive in terms of sales compared to the first. BUT I STILL BELIEVE!! I NEED MORE!!!

I'm actually the owner of Endless History.

As a person who just found out about Endless History, thank you for all your hard work!!

varkuriru

Just finished this! Eh it was ok... ;p

OH MY GAD having waited about 4 years for this was so worth it - absolutely amazing

Thanks to everyone involved in localizing the game!

Nyoro SF

I have no interest in a machine translation... the joy of these games is dialogue.

The only way I would invest my time in such a thing is if it was very clear that I had no other choice.

Dio

Banned
Great, now we have people poisoning the well with machine translations for mainline Kiseki games.
It's even worse because XSEED is doing such a goddamned fantastic job with the official Kiseki localizations that it's even more jarring going to machine-translated garbage. There are companies releasing retail translations that might as well be machine translations, of course, but in this case it's far worse because of the sheer quality of the official work. I don't think I'd ever wanna play a fan-trans of Zero/Ao if it used machine TL, and even if it didn't they would still need to be enormous Kiseki fans with a bible to reference for translation terms.

Erheller

I'd rather never play a Kiseki game than play its machine-localized translation. I've read a few dialogue-oriented machine-translated works, and they completely ruined my enjoyment.

There are some great fan translations out there, done by people who love the source material and bring out its character in the translation. Nayuta's translation wasn't one of those.

What they're doing with Zero/Ao is very uninteresting, but Heroes of Legend isn't taking the same approach for their work on Wander Wonder, the Xak games, and Brandish 2/3 Renewal. I'm rooting on XSEED to do Crossbell on their own terms, and so are the guys doing the fan translations.

Gu4n

I had been keeping an eye on the process and corrected a couple of terms until the public visibility/editability of the files got removed, so I honestly have no idea how far they've progressed behind the scenes.

While the project leads of the translation of Zero and Nayuta are both part of the Heroes of Legend translation group, they are different persons with different working methods. I'm affiliated to the same group (they have done hacking for my projects), but do the actual translation and editing on my own.

What I do know is that there's a huge gap between machine-translation and the quality XSEED delivers. As I'm working on the side stories from The 3rd, getting the lines translated - which draw from political, scientific and military jargon in rapid succession - is one thing. Getting them to be readable is another. But achieving the wittiness Olivier is known for or Mueller's hard comebacks is a whole different level. I'm mostly staring at the ceiling during editing and play out the scenario in my head how Olivier and Mueller would bring it. It's fun, sure, but extremely time-consuming. So props for XSEED for pulling off those personality traits -- not just once, but at least twice so far -- perfectly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC the hacker working on Zero did almost the entirety of Nayuta and has little to no Japanese knowledge. He's just doing the hacking on Zero and other people are handling the translation (supposedly not machine translations, but I don't know myself) and editing.

All things considered, I doubt I'll ever mess with the fan translation even though I'd really like to play the Crossbell games. If the translation isn't good, or the terminology doesn't match up with the XSEED translations, or 3rd and Ao aren't translated, it's not really any better than nothing.

omgfloofy

Banned
What I do know is that there's a huge gap between machine-translation and the quality XSEED delivers. As I'm working on the side stories from The 3rd, getting the lines translated - which draw from political, scientific and military jargon in rapid succession - is one thing. Getting them to be readable is another. But achieving the wittiness Olivier is known for or Mueller's hard comebacks is a whole different level. I'm mostly staring at the ceiling during editing and play out the scenario in my head how Olivier and Mueller would bring it. It's fun, sure, but extremely time-consuming. So props for XSEED for pulling off those personality traits -- not just once, but at least twice so far -- perfectly.

I want to add in to Guan's comments here, because I've been working on Endless History for over six years now, and I can promise it is INFINITELY easier to translate news, interviews, etc etc than it is to translate prose and any of the text out of the Kiseki series.

I've been doing an editing pass for the next Translation Tuesday video that will be going up next week- it's actually one of the memory doors from 3rd that disturbs me the most when you get down to everything in it. I always end up feeling so drained trying to work the lines in it to sound /right/ for the type of report that it is, that sometimes, I end up doing stupid crap like this:

1BJYodel.jpg

...or watching dog videos on youtube. Or go hug my dogs. Or something. I don't think I've ever had something that has emotionally drained me to the degree that this video has.

(As a result, I can't wait to get to the one Guan's been working on, because that levity will be SO much needed.)

On the other hand, I can't wait for people to see this, because it really is truly- in my opinion- one of the great 'WTF HAPPENED???' moments of the lore for the Kiseki/Trails setting. As a result, I feel that it's 100% worth it, don't get me wrong. But I have so much respect for the people who do this stuff for a living, because I've felt so burned out and drained from it. I don't think I could do it for a paycheck by this point.

I want to add in to Guan's comments here, because I've been working on Endless History for over six years now, and I can promise it is INFINITELY easier to translate news, interviews, etc etc than it is to translate prose and any of the text out of the Kiseki series.

I've been doing an editing pass for the next Translation Tuesday video that will be going up next week- it's actually one of the memory doors from 3rd that disturbs me the most when you get down to everything in it. I always end up feeling so drained trying to work the lines in it to sound /right/ for the type of report that it is, that sometimes, I end up doing stupid crap like this:

1BJYodel.jpg

...or watching dog videos on youtube. Or go hug my dogs. Or something. I don't think I've ever had something that has emotionally drained me to the degree that this video has.

(As a result, I can't wait to get to the one Guan's been working on, because that levity will be SO much needed.)

On the other hand, I can't wait for people to see this, because it really is truly- in my opinion- one of the great 'WTF HAPPENED???' moments of the lore for the Kiseki/Trails setting. As a result, I feel that it's 100% worth it, don't get me wrong. But I have so much respect for the people who do this stuff for a living, because I've felt so burned out and drained from it. I don't think I could do it for a paycheck by this point.

Is it that Rita Mordio's in Trails?!?!?!?!

I didn't know about this Translation Tuesday effort at all! Thanks for (yet again) helping providing additional support for Trails/Falcom gamers in the West. Since you said you're focusing on the scenarios that are relevant Sky and Cold Steel, I'll have to look into it when I'm finished.

I'm taking my sweet time and assuming I'm near the end of Chapter 3, which is definitely more interesting than Chapter 2 was.
I really like how Joshua seems to be working surprisingly well with the Capua family. He's only been seen in two scenes so far, but it feels clear that despite going on the shadowy/edgy side, he's still the same person at the end of the day. I'm also glad to see Fight with Assailant and Recapture make their triumphant returns, along with Agate and Kevin. One thing that does suck is that a lot of my better Quartz was on all of the other party members that are now K.O.'d in the Guildhouse. I only tried one fight against the giant tank thing but I think it's gonna be another toughie. I miss Heaven's Kiss...

omgfloofy

Banned
I didn't know about this Translation Tuesday effort at all! Thanks for (yet again) helping providing additional support for Trails/Falcom gamers in the West. Since you said you're focusing on the scenarios that are relevant Sky and Cold Steel, I'll have to look into it when I'm finished.

Some of them may require waiting. The one last week isn't so much one of those, since it's referencing why Cassius was gone during FC. However, the one that comes up next week should absolutely not be seen until you've finished SC.

Some of them may require waiting. The one last week isn't so much one of those, since it's referencing why Cassius was gone during FC. However, the one that comes up next week should absolutely not be seen until you've finished SC.

Good to know. I'll probably just wait until they're all done to be safe. It's what I'd do if I had 3rd available to play anyways.

Whoops. Did this by mistake...

Whew

Man this game is good

its also VERY long! And I keep fucking up the bonus bracer point sections lol

They build this long ass game to be played again?! Are they crazy?

Anyways loved the Joshua/Estelle reunion scene. I cant believe how much Estelle has grown on me. What a damn smartly written character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just started chapter 6. Just as soon as
things start to REALLY pick up, it's the beach episode of the series. Fantastic. (Total sarcasm right here by the way)

Aeana

things start to REALLY pick up, it's the beach episode of the series. Fantastic. (Total sarcasm right here by the way)
That's Trails for you. Any time something interesting happens, it's time to ease off and take a break. I love this series to death, but the formula can be exhausting.

That's Trails for you. Any time something interesting happens, it's time to ease off and take a break. I love this series to death, but the formula can be exhausting.

True

The old school way of doing things. I think the writing it the only thing elevating it above the current standards

That's what I love about it though. They always find an excuse to take a load off.

I can relate to this on so many levels.

SolVanderlyn

I've heard a lot of bad things about it. I still want to check it out. At least it gave us this GIF (Chapter 2 Spoiler I believe, correct me if wrong)

fgj7fav.gif
LOL

Amazing. Walter is
such a sterotypical villain in every which way, from his story as a martial artist who killed his master to his sadistic for no reason personality,
but damn if he doesn't have a great visual design.

Psxphile

Chapter 9/Finale: It was posted about before but apparently there's a glitch during the
Axis Pillar climb that force skips you out of fighting Renne and seeing her story bits.
Just wanted to say that I got to that point and the game proceeded normally, no glitches. Either it was fixed since the last time it was discussed here (last week) or it's not 100% unavoidable.

So close to the end now I can taste it...

Xeteh

Chapter 9/Finale: It was posted about before but apparently there's a glitch during the
Axis Pillar climb that force skips you out of fighting Renne and seeing her story bits.
Just wanted to say that I got to that point and the game proceeded normally, no glitches. Either it was fixed since the last time it was discussed here (last week) or it's not 100% unavoidable.

So close to the end now I can taste it...

I had a bug where I had Chapter 9/Finale:
arrived at the tower from the tunnels and when I exited the tunnels it put me on the stairs leading up where you get ambushed by the archaism lion. I thought it was weird there was no elevator up to a train back to the ship but I figured it'd be inside the tower. So I go in, bear Bleublanc and decide to backtrack, as soon as I walked down the stairs outside the tower it puts me outside the tunnel (not the exit towards the tower I was coming from) and they give their dialogue like they've seen the tower up close for the first time. And its on the map with the elevator.

Psxphile

I had a bug where I had Chapter 9/Finale:
arrived at the tower from the tunnels and when I exited the tunnels it put me on the stairs leading up where you get ambushed by the archaism lion. I thought it was weird there was no elevator up to a train back to the ship but I figured it'd be inside the tower. So I go in, bear Bleublanc and decide to backtrack, as soon as I walked down the stairs outside the tower it puts me outside the tunnel (not the exit towards the tower I was coming from) and they give their dialogue like they've seen the tower up close for the first time. And its on the map with the elevator.

Yeah, this happened to me too and Duckroll posted about it earlier. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.

Marow

I honestly kinda enjoyed the OVA, but do remember to finish SC before you give it a watch. It takes bits of the story from SC and alters it in order to make it work in mere two episodes. Basically, it's just pure fanservice ("omg it's a kiseki anime and omgomgomg that scene" etc). Incredibly well-animated fanservice, for that matter. Like, I seriously hope you enjoy sakuga because you're gonna be flooded with it.

The first half is probably better thanks to being more focused and smaller in scope, whereas the second really tries to condense the plot as if to act as a commercial for the game ("buy the game to learn more!"). A bit of a shame, but hey, it was fun in the sense of a "what if" scenario. I also really dig the character designs, so that's a plus.

Yeah, this happened to me too and Duckroll posted about it earlier. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.
Yeah, this happened to me to. XSeed should know it by now, I think (I sent an email).

SephLuis

Just would like to give XSEED props for localizing this the way they have. While my japanese isn't fluent, I fell that the little things they add, make the game even better. I started playing SC in japanese and I sure missed the chests texts.

it's actually one of the memory doors from 3rd that disturbs me the most when you get down to everything in it.

Out of curiosity, which door is it ? Do you remember the type and number ? No spoilers, just something for me to look forward to.
I am currently playing The 3rd and Gu4n already helped me a lot with one of the doors =)

Top Bottom