• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Famassu

Lol @ this (chapter 7 spoilers)
fourth tower
boss. I was thoroughly unprepared for all the petrifying & killblow BS that the boss & its aides dished out immediately after the battle began. First,
Joshua
died and then the robots kept shooting petrifying & poisoning lasers that killed two others. Soon I was left with no one but Estelle. -_- So I quit the game before she even died, equipped some more proper accessories that give immunity to petrify & killblows -> start battle with 200CP -> wreck dat bijatch with four S-Crafts (& do some damage to the others) & then focus on healing against the fast robots' laser attacks & waiting for a couple of openings and for a certain attack-all S-Craft to be usable again to kill the rest of the robots. So satisfying.

irriadin

I swear to god, I never have as much trouble picking my party out in a game as I do in this one. I just want to bring everyone with me =/

Kudos to Falcom and Xseed for making me love these characters too much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chapter 9:

Hey, it's Solaris from Xenogears, except less dystopic and more utopic

Psxphile

Well it's not always physically possible to go to another branch.

Although true, FC's first chapter illustrates how the Guild branches all work together as a single unit by allowing you to begin a job in Rolent (delivering the Father's letter) and completing it in Bose, where you receive your payment.

Remember the words of instructor Sara from the trailer: "We now have a sixth class, appropriately called Class VII". Seven, huh? Very appropriate. *anime glasses*

The Sora Evolution games go even a step further and allow you to speed up not only cut scenes, but also battles by holding the X button. Alternatively, you can hit the Select button to have auto-battle in super sonic speed, which is terribly easy to gather CP in an area with low level enemies -- but also terribly easy to lose a battle when you're not on top of things. No, Cold Steel's approach is definitely the safest middle ground.

Thats the Atlus/superior way though!

Here's my spoiler-free impressions about the game since I finished it yesterday! It was a solid game, but I don't think the game is extraordinary IMO. What really hampered it was that chapters 1-5 were really slow. Honestly, I just went through all of the regions in FC and I have to do it all again in SC except the pacing was slower. It was not until midway through chapter six is when the plot finally picked up. By the time it was endgame, I kind of rolled my eyes to see a lot of tropey stuff that happened at the final dungeon. Then again, it's a mid 2000s RPG, so I can let it slide.

It's a good thing that their universe lore is very interesting, and I liked how they handled the regions on a micro scale. I've seen this in recent Falcom RPGs how the npc changed their dialogue throughout the game, and it's mainly how they go about their lives. I thought it was a nice touch. What really got me was all the regions they briefly mentioned throughout the game. It had that Suikoden vibe to read about the regions. This was the reason why I'm interested of playing Trails of Cold Steel next week. I wanna see that regional lore.

TraBuch

Banned
I know this is the SC OT, but would someone be willing to help me out? I'm jumping back into FC for the first time in over a year (So says my save file, could've sworn I was playing it a lot more recently), and I've completely forgotten what's happened in the game. I think I'm still early. I'm currently at an inn with Olivier and Scherezard and they're getting drunk together, I'm almost positive there was fishing involved here. I'm about to start a stakeout looking for some Sky Bandits or something. Would someone mind summarizing what's happened up to this point, or pointing me towards a synopsis or something?

They were amazingly well done! I only remember the one though. Almost done with chapter 8 but its all straight rollercoaster at this point

There hasnt been a quiet moment of characters interacting in awhile... not since the great beach scene

There's been two so far that I've seen (in Chapter 4 now).
One was in the Academy auditorium, and the other (smaller) one was on the airship ride from Grancel in Chapter 4. Kloe was able to figure out a rough understanding of what Joshua was up to just by reading the situation and Estelle's reactions to it.

I know this is the SC OT, but would someone be willing to help me out? I'm jumping back into FC for the first time in over a year (So says my save file, could've sworn I was playing it a lot more recently), and I've completely forgotten what's happened in the game. I think I'm still early. I'm currently at an inn with Olivier and Scherezard and they're getting drunk together, I'm almost positive there was fishing involved here. I'm about to start a stakeout looking for some Sky Bandits or something. Would someone mind summarizing what's happened up to this point, or pointing me towards a synopsis or something?

OP

duckroll

Made some good progress through the final dungeon. Should be able to finally beat the game tomorrow, unless other stuff get in the way again. I have to say, the dungeon design in the game sux balls. Even for a final dungeon, it's just the same circular set of corridors copied and pasted floor after floor, with a predictable repeat boss at the end of each floor. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Can't wait to get this over and done with so I can see some cool cutscenes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Made some good progress through the final dungeon. Should be able to finally beat the game tomorrow, unless other stuff get in the way again. I have to say, the dungeon design in the game sux balls. Even for a final dungeon, it's just the same circular set of corridors copied and pasted floor after floor, with a predictable repeat boss at the end of each floor. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Can't wait to get this over and done with so I can see some cool cutscenes.
It was cool until it repeated five times. It slightly makes up for this by
letting you take Mueller with you

I would have preferred a straight
boss rush instead of the tower climbing mini-game we got.

duckroll

The worst things about the final dungeon:

- You can't tell which boss you're going to fight beforehand to match the party members with the fight

- The teleporter shortcut only activates AFTER you beat the boss

- The rest of your party decided to sit their ass back on the ship instead of storming the dungeon with you like in FC... wut?

Because of these shitty design decisions, I'm not even bothering with matching the bosses with the right party members for the extra scenes, I'm just rushing ahead with a fixed party and I'll watch the missing scenes on youtube later or whatever. Fuck it.

So is the
tank boss
at the end of chapter 3 supposed to be really "tanky" and difficult?

I just barely beat it and now looking at the boss immediately afterwards.

Just I hate having to grind in this one when I'm not on quests (and grancel doesn't have a bunch of them in this chapter)

28 hours in, so many more to go and cold steel on Tuesday...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So is the
tank boss
at the end of chapter 3 supposed to be really "tanky" and difficult?

I just barely beat it and now looking at the boss immediately afterwards.

Just I hate having to grind in this one when I'm not on quests (and grancel doesn't have a bunch of them in this chapter)

28 hours in, so many more to go and cold steel on Tuesday...

That was probably the story boss I struggled the most with, primarily because I was completely unprepared. Lack of restoration items and all my good quartz were on other characters.
Used everything to beat the tank then was left with little EP or items to beat Amalthea. Didn't help that should was so ridiculously fast, and I swear something is/was wrong with mine setting attacks since they give/gave immediate turns afterward, even when used in succession.

omgfloofy

Banned
- The rest of your party decided to sit their ass back on the ship instead of storming the dungeon with you like in FC... wut?

Yeah, storm the dungeon and leave stuff unrepaired. Brilliant idea. Not arguing the dungeon design, but it doesn't make sense from the storytelling standpoint.

Psxphile

The boss order is the same as Chapter 7, so you can tell who it's gonna be.

Pretty much. I was lucky enough to bring the two right party members for the first boss in the dungeon, and knowing who it was I figured the rest would follow the same pattern. And I was right.

I guess this isn't really much of an accomplishment for the game's great finale, but let me just say:
Bringing Josette along for the final string of boss battles? Not as bad as I would have imagined. She really wasn't all that much help though, good thing Agate is an S-Craft machine.
Maybe I was over-leveled (Estelle and
Joshua
were at 92 I think)...

yea, i only ran into the first boss with random party members. for the rest i switched around. the trek back feels a little long because of multiple screen transitions. it's not that bad if you look at the time, like 2-3 battles :D

certrain party members will also get a few lines of dialogue back at base.

yami4ct

Finally sat down and beat the game tonight after at least a week of telling myself 'tonight's the night'. People weren't kidding that Chapter 9 was big.

Trails SC was an incredible experience from beginning to end. The writing is so clever and interesting and the world is really well realized. It's easily my favorite RPG since Persona 4. Falcom has made a Trails fan for life of me now.

The ending really makes me want to see
Estelle and Joshua show up one day as side characters. It be amazing to see them as Cassius level badasses after touring the world.

- You can't tell which boss you're going to fight beforehand to match the party members with the fight

What?
The second you saw Blueblanc as the first boss, it should be painfully obvious that its the same order as the towers. You even mention yourself that its a "predictable" boss at the end of each floor. Come on now.

Nohar

- The teleporter shortcut only activates AFTER you beat the boss

Because of these shitty design decisions, I'm not even bothering with matching the bosses with the right party members for the extra scenes, I'm just rushing ahead with a fixed party and I'll watch the missing scenes on youtube later or whatever. Fuck it.

Yup, I experienced the same frustration as you for that final dungeon. They really should have added an option to switch characters easily instead of what we got (and that shortcut thingy is indeed /facepalm worthy).
That being said,
the order in which you fight the bosses is rather easy to guess, since it is the same order as the one you actually fight them the first time (BleuBlanc, Walter, Lucciola, Renne)

SolVanderlyn

Beat the game. Took
Olivier and Mueller with me the entire way, which led to some really interesting dialogue with Weissman. I didn't bother matching characters to enforcers. Perhaps on another playthrough.

They really couldn't resist the triple formed godly angel boss, could they? I had enough money to buy 99 ingredients of everything, so I made a shit ton of meatballs and meatball'd my way through the last few bosses of the game. Renne almost never had a chance to attack me. I wasn't expecting the last form, though, so, out-meatball'd and defenseless, that battle actually took me a while. I'm glad the game FINALLY decided to kill off a character or two, not because I'm a sadist, but because it seemed painfully afraid to commit to tragedy until this point, unless it already happened in a flashback.

Cassius' hint towards other conflicts, the remaining members of Ouroboros, and the Kevin hint at the end all have me super excited for the rest of the games in the series. I knew something was up with Kevin - he had a similar smile-with-underlying-internal-torment attitude to Joshua in the first game, or at least he came off that way to me. On that note, I'm surprised how they managed to make Joshua's character growth so authentic. He feels genuine in this one, like his mask is gone, and it's all through subtle touches to his character like giving him a more serious looking character portrait, removing his extreme confidence, making him show outward affection towards others, etc. He became my favorite character pretty fast in this one.

Very enjoyable game. Cannot wait for Cold Steel. I may even jump into TC with my paltry Japanese skills.

Beat the game. Took
Olivier and Mueller with me the entire way, which led to some really interesting dialogue with Weissman. I didn't bother matching characters to enforcers. Perhaps on another playthrough.

They really couldn't resist the triple formed godly angel boss, could they? I had enough money to buy 99 ingredients of everything, so I made a shit ton of meatballs and meatball'd my way through the last few bosses of the game. Renne almost never had a chance to attack me. I wasn't expecting the last form, though, so, out-meatball'd and defenseless, that battle actually took me a while. I'm glad the game FINALLY decided to kill off a character or two, not because I'm a sadist, but because it seemed painfully afraid to commit to tragedy until this point, unless it already happened in a flashback.

Cassius' hint towards other conflicts, the remaining members of Ouroboros, and the Kevin hint at the end all have me super excited for the rest of the games in the series. I knew something was up with Kevin - he had a similar smile-with-underlying-internal-torment attitude to Joshua in the first game, or at least he came off that way to me. On that note, I'm surprised how they managed to make Joshua's character growth so authentic. He feels genuine in this one, like his mask is gone, and it's all through subtle touches to his character like giving him a more serious looking character portrait, removing his extreme confidence, making him show outward affection towards others, etc. He became my favorite character pretty fast in this one.

Very enjoyable game. Cannot wait for Cold Steel. I may even jump into TC with my paltry Japanese skills.

The Batman/Bruce Wayne thing going on before and after the mindfuck by Weissmann in FC was handled astronomically well.
Joshua is just aces.

Linkark07

Banned
Anyone have a list (or link to a list) of which party members to bring to each section in chapter 9?

Kloe when you need to get a gospel after you rescue Josette. Obligatory, else, you can't continue.
Josette when you enter the Glorious. That one is obligatory too.

These are optionals:

Kloe and Olivier against Leblanc. Dude wants to fight his princess and his beauty rival.
Zane when you fight Walter. Next fight after Leblanc.
Scherazard for the fight with Luciola. Next fight after Walter.
I suppose Tita with the fight against Renne. That said, fight was glitched when I played the game. Dunno if it was fixed.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a list (or link to a list) of which party members to bring to each section in chapter 9?

First fight - Kloe and Olivier, but it's really minor and not worth it if you don't want to use them
Second fight - Zane gets a special scene
Third fight - Schera gets a special scene
Fourth fight - no one has anything significant, Tita might result in some extra lines but nothing big
Fifth fight - I think all the characters get mention/extra dialogue here, but I'm not sure which are noteworthy. Kevin's apparently references some stuff for later. IIRC someone mentioned Olivier and Mueller both had some interesting stuff.

Sorry if this has been answered already, tried to search for it but no luck. Is the second chapter compatible with PSTV in Europe? I know it is in the US but the European store page says it's only PSP-compatible.

zakujanai

Sorry if this has been answered already, tried to search for it but no luck. Is the second chapter compatible with PSTV in Europe? I know it is in the US but the European store page says it's only PSP-compatible.

Aren't all PSP games compatible? I've never found one that didn't work, pretty sure it's only vita games that aren't. That said, the first one is ugly as shit on vita tv, if you have a PC I'd recommend getting that version. If not, best to stick to playing on the vita.

Gu4n

Aren't all PSP games compatible? I've never found one that didn't work, pretty sure it's only vita games that aren't. That said, the first one is ugly as shit on vita tv, if you have a PC I'd recommend getting that version. If not, best to stick to playing on the vita.
Valkyria Chronicles 2 isn't compatible with PSTV, for one. I don't know about Trails in the Sky SC. Since I haven't heard complaints about it, I've assumed it just works.

Yup finaly at chapter nine

Holy hell do they make if difficult to choose characters

So many good ones!

I think Im gonna do the special scenes and fall back on my core team though

zakujanai

European account? Because it used to work until Sega/Sony removed it from the whitelist a while back.

Yeah EU. So they actually removed compatibility for it? Seems pretty stupid. Like Gu4n said then, I've not seen anyone complain about SC being incompatible but hopefully someone who owns it can confirm. Still strongly recommend not playing it through Vita though if it's remotely as unsightly as FC.

Wrapping up the bonus section between chapters 3 and 4 (right after disc change) and a thought hit me. I've had two Sewars so far (la loche and Grancel) is the game going to force me into more of them?

I'm already dreading cold steel's inevitable sewer dungeon right out the gate.

Kalor

Wrapping up the bonus section between chapters 3 and 4 (right after disc change) and a thought hit me. I've had two Sewars so far (la loche and Grancel) is the game going to force me into more of them?

I'm already dreading cold steel's inevitable sewer dungeon right out the gate.

I don't think there are any more sewers but I might be forgetting some small section.

So my chest molestation achievements seem to be horribly broken. I'm something like +14 chests more than I should've encountered now. I've been following the guide up on GameFAQs for BP and chest totals, and ever since the start of chapter 3 I've been gaining extra counts towards the counter. Otherwise I broke the Doll Knight achievement and who knows about Penguin de Samba. Thankfully, I don't care too much about achievements, but is does make me worry since I did want all BP and chests on this run.

Top Bottom