• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Hikami

So the game's been out for almost 2 months now and I've only played it for 30 minutes.. Finally on vacation now though, can't wait to continue.
1b44b8713b.png

It feels strange to have finally finished this game after so many years. I'm satisfied with the ending even
if it went a bit heavy on the shounen "power of bonds" cliches. Ouroboros as a whole feels like a missed opportunity in this game, the more that is revealed about the society's motivations the less interesting they become. Weissman at the end of the game could have been swapped with some generic Tales villain and I wouldn't have noticed. Though I suppose I'm grateful that they didn't try to make him overly sympathetic, we had enough of that with the other enforcers.

And now I can go back and read all the black bars in this thread and consider my thoughts on the game. I liked it a lot, but I think I may actually prefer FC.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So the game's been out for almost 2 months now and I've only played it for 30 minutes.. Finally on vacation now though, can't wait to continue.
1b44b8713b.png
The art is so different between this and the Evo version.

1419479021-1.jpg

The art is so different between this and the Evo version.

I don't think Estelle is really that different there. From what I've seen of the Evo art, I don't really understand the outrage. Then again, I don't think the character design of the original games was anything particularly outstanding.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really don't like the Evo designs. Seriously, what were they thinking?

I don't think Estelle is really that different there. From what I've seen of the Evo art, I don't really understand the outrage. Then again, I don't think the character design of the original games was anything particularly outstanding.
I actually really like the Evo designs. It looks "cleaner" than the original releases, but it's just a difference in style to bring it up to date with later games in the series. The character design hasn't been overhauled or anything, and it's nowhere near as bad as the Star Ocean remakes on PSP, which changed the tone of the game entirely. You say she doesn't look that different, and that's because the basic design philosophy behind her character is the same. A truly bad "evolution" or change of art style is this, which takes the more grounded tone of the original and kawaii-fies it tenfold:

So yeah, I don't think it's bad at all. I do disagree that it doesn't look different, but it's not a bad different. Trails always looked pretty anime.

Plus, Evo gave us scenes like this:

I actually really like the Evo designs. It looks "cleaner" than the original releases, but it's just a difference in style to bring it up to date with later games in the series. The character design hasn't been overhauled or anything, and it's nowhere near as bad as the Star Ocean remakes on PSP, which changed the tone of the game entirely. Plus it gave us scenes like this:

tumblr_npgx3tLJRc1s4h0g8o2_1280.png

The evol style looks good here but not in that menu shot imo

epmode

I've seen comparisons of Estelle's expressions in both games and Evo loses virtually every time.

Estelle is pretty great, BTW.

Nyoro SF

Estelle also lost around half of her expressions in Evolution and the ones she kept, were way reduced in scope. If that's not bad, then I don't know what is.

And I haven't even talked about how the same-face syndrome absolutely rages throughout the EVO remakes. It's super jarring that everyone has almost the exact same head shape.

If that's considered "good" by some metric of "bringing up to modern standards" or "okay, because it's anime, and all anime is anime!" then neither of those are even close to good enough excuses for what they did. Character portraits are ridiculously important in story games, so they don't get a free pass.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Evo ones looks worse stylistically, and they are less expressive. Worse all around.

And that's just Estelle, Joshua fares a whole lot worse.

SolVanderlyn

Estelle also lost around half of her expressions in Evolution and the ones she kept, were way reduced in scope. If that's not bad, then I don't know what is.

And I haven't even talked about how the same-face syndrome absolutely rages throughout the EVO remakes. It's super jarring that everyone has almost the exact same head shape.

If that's considered "good" by some metric of "bringing up to modern standards" or "okay, because it's anime, and all anime is anime!" then neither of those are even close to good enough excuses for what they did. Character portraits are ridiculously important in story games, so they don't get a free pass.
I didn't know about the reduced amount of expressions. That's disheartening.

I do still think the Evo style is fine. It's not good because "all anime is the same," I never said that - I just think it fits, tonally, with the character designs of the original. Unpopular opinion, I suppose. But no, they don't get a free pass for removing the amount of expressions in the game, you are right about that.

Nyoro SF

I didn't know about the reduced amount of expressions. That's disheartening.

I do still think the Evo style is fine. It's not good because "all anime is the same," I never said that - I just think it fits, tonally, with the character designs of the original. Unpopular opinion, I suppose. But no, they don't get a free pass for removing the amount of expressions in the game, you are right about that.

I just get a little snippy (lol) when someone says "Trails is anime, so it's OK that it has this anime style" to which I think, anime is just a general catch-all term we use for art originating from Japan, it doesn't speak at all to quality or perspective.

Her art with staff in EVO version there is ridiculous! What is she doing with her staff :|

Wow, I didn't even notice that before... yeah, that's pathetic.

I'm comfortable saying I can fully write off these Evolution ports.

Eusis

I actually really like the Evo designs. It looks "cleaner" than the original releases, but it's just a difference in style to bring it up to date with later games in the series. The character design hasn't been overhauled or anything, and it's nowhere near as bad as the Star Ocean remakes on PSP, which changed the tone of the game entirely. You say she doesn't look that different, and that's because the basic design philosophy behind her character is the same. A truly bad "evolution" or change of art style is this, which takes the more grounded tone of the original and kawaii-fies it tenfold:

So yeah, I don't think it's bad at all. I do disagree that it doesn't look different, but it's not a bad different. Trails always looked pretty anime.

Plus, Evo gave us scenes like this:
Yeah, Evo could be way worse, it looks more like an attempt at a more modern spin on the art, versus SO2 being more like throwing out the old art and doing some cheap, low detail moe-esque art instead. But everyone looks eerily like they're, uhh, "mass produced", as if they're just applying the character's looks to a single base template, then there's this bit:
Her art with staff in EVO version there is ridiculous! What is she doing with her staff :|

Dio

Banned

Oh hey, it's that image I made a while back.

Also, the thing that irritates me a lot about the FC portraits is that one particular scene [FC ending spoiler]
Joshua's face at the end scene
was messed up in Trails FC Evolution. I actually went and watched that Evo sequence on Youtube and they didn't even change it to a
facial sprite I'd never seen before in the entire game before that point which added extra impact
it just stayed the same damn thing the entire time. It's really, really minor but I thought the omission of that really hurt for some reason.

https://youtu.be/2PTdXwdDL8E?t=1066

You can watch the entire ending here in Evo (won't be spoilers if you haven't already played FC, which I'm assuming if you're in here you've already played it.)

Finished the game!

It was truly a sublime ride~

My thanks to everyone involved in creating and localizing this game! Falcom, Carpe Fulgur and XSEED!

Now I await for Cold Steel.

i'd play all evo ports for faster gameplay. the artwork isn't so important in comparison.

It's not just the artwork though, you lose out on the expressions of the characters too. You have lesser portraits of Estelle in Evo (Or any other important character), whereas in the original you can see above how many different portraits she has and how masterfully Falcom used it. Personally, the artwork and expression employed by the character's is extremely important in my opinion.

I understand where you're coming from, and if it isn't an issue for you then by all means go ahead.

Dio

Banned
i'd play all evo ports for faster gameplay. the artwork isn't so important in comparison.

Well, yeah, being able to fast forward text and skip attack animations is huge.

However, narratively and for character depiction, I think having more expressions for characters (and more expressiveness in general) is better.

Also, the soundtrack of the Evo titles isn't always great. They overarranged a ton of tracks on FC:

Victory jingle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6Gh21SBeI

That sounds way worse and badly balanced than the original.

I don't like Secret Green Passage as much as the original. The instrumentation just sounds WRONG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFALXuK2Is

Ancient Makes isn't as good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQHLkVmLMU

You get the idea.

What are the items the OP mentions that you get from transferring your save file with max BP? I have the first game to finish, and I know there was a time-specific quest I missed out on. I never felt like going back to restart my file just to get it, but I'm still aiming to complete every mission/side quest besides that single one I missed out on.

It's not just the artwork though, you lose out on the expressions of the characters too. You have only 4 portraits of Estelle in Evo (Or any other important character), whereas in the original you can see above how many different portraits she has and how masterfully Falcom used it. Personally, the artwork and expression employed by the character's is extremely important in my opinion.

I understand where you're coming from, and if it isn't an issue for you then by all means go ahead.

i prefer the original art too. i don't mind giving the new stuff a chance since i'm already familiar with the old. can't beat faster battles.

Well, yeah, being able to fast forward text and skip attack animations is huge.

However, narratively and for character depiction, I think having more expressions for characters (and more expressiveness in general) is better.

Also, the soundtrack of the Evo titles isn't always great. They overarranged a ton of tracks on FC:

Victory jingle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6Gh21SBeI

That sounds way worse and badly balanced than the original.

I don't like Secret Green Passage as much as the original. The instrumentation just sounds WRONG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFALXuK2Is

Ancient Makes isn't as good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQHLkVmLMU

You get the idea.

yea, i sampled a couple of new arrangements after i beat the game. they're different takes of familiar themes. that's good enough to get a fresher experience on a replay!

Gu4n

It's not just the artwork though, you lose out on the expressions of the characters too. You have only 4 portraits of Estelle in Evo (Or any other important character), whereas in the original you can see above how many different portraits she has and how masterfully Falcom used it. Personally, the artwork and expression employed by the character's is extremely important in my opinion.
Actually, browsing through my screenshots folder, I think they have the same amount of portraits but that the portraits aren't simply as expressive as the originals. Estelle's legendary annoyed face isn't simply as annoyed as the orignal is:

But with all changes, it's something to need to get used to. It's rather a matter of whether it's something you want to get used to.

omgfloofy

Banned
So I've just got to disc 2, so I'm about half way through then?

The disc swaps aren't like they were for PS1 games. In SC, the disc swaps, IIRC, are based on what region of Liberl you're in. If you had the CD version of Riven, you kind of get the idea of how this works- but thankfully, it's just on two discs, instead of five. ;D

Actually, browsing through my screenshots folder, I think they have the same amount of portraits but that the portraits aren't simply as expressive as the originals. Estelle's legendary annoyed face isn't simply as annoyed as the orignal is:

But with all changes, it's something to need to get used to. It's rather a matter of whether it's something you want to get used to.

Noted. Thanks for informing me!

Erheller

What are the items the OP mentions that you get from transferring your save file with max BP? I have the first game to finish, and I know there was a time-specific quest I missed out on. I never felt like going back to restart my file just to get it, but I'm still aiming to complete every mission/side quest besides that single one I missed out on.

I believe you get a Luck quartz (someone correct me if I'm wrong) for max BP, which is hardly game-breaking (but may help in an early sidequest before you can buy it).

That being said, you can just use the 100% save file (which is mine!) linked in the OP to save yourself some hassle.

I believe you get a Luck quartz (someone correct me if I'm wrong) for max BP, which is hardly game-breaking (but may help in an early sidequest before you can buy it).

That being said, you can just use the 100% save file (which is mine!) linked in the OP to save yourself some hassle.

You do get some quartz such as yin-yang from certain sidequests, but you can obtain them later as well.

Just beat it

Loved the game and am beyond ready to start Cold Steel! Its going to be an adjustment to change scenery, characters and themes.... hopefully I like it :p

Regarding the ending

Was a tad disappointed that there wasnt more bonus epilogue material. With SO many characters.. to only get brief images behind the credits. What a Bummer!

Loved Father Kevin's scene and the allusions to the bigger ongoing conflict.

DPB

Estelle just looks a bit bored there, and Joshua looks like an entirely different person, like he's been replaced by your typical happy-go-lucky RPG protagonist.

SolVanderlyn

You get the idea.
It can be great, though. None of these are better than the original, necessarily, but they're still really good.

Factory City of Zeiss

Leiston Fortress

Silver Will

Joshua also looks much better in his full portrait.

BpOlYYRCQAEULrU.jpg

Also, disc-wise, yeah, it's tied by region. Chapter 8 in particular will have you swapping discs back and forth a couple of times.

Gu4n

Don't forget that Joshua is two years older in Zero than he is at the start of FC. Plus some stuff happened in between that speeds up the process. The same goes for Estelle.

Theoretically, Estelle could be a mother at the start of the new arc.

It can be great, though. None of these are better than the original, necessarily, but they're still really good.

Factory City of Zeiss

Leiston Fortress

Silver Will

Joshua also looks much better in his full portrait.

BpOlYYRCQAEULrU.jpg

Also, disc-wise, yeah, it's tied by region. Chapter 8 in particular will have you swapping discs back and forth a couple of times.

Errrrhhhh

He looks like a completely different person. Like you would think they would try to at least somewhat try to capture the original look

Gu4n

Well, Zero's characters are drawn by a different artist and his design does fit in very well with the rest of the cast.

Marow

I figured I'd share this interesting tidbit regarding the S-Craft name origin for one of the bosses in the game. I learned it as I provided some feedback on various bugs or translation errors. Hatsuu was kind enough to reply to me and also answered a question I had about said S-Craft.

HUGE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY:

Renne’s S-Craft is レ・ラナンデスin Japanese, and it’s a messy, very difficult to get combination of “Renne,” “Run,” and “Death.” In fact, even most Japanese players only figure this out when it comes up in a quiz of sorts in Sora no Kiseki 3rd. Translating the exact name was therefore impossible, because the intent was that it was basically supposed to be read as flowing, garbled text. In English, her S-Craft, Rennede, is a messy combination of Renne, Rend (to tie to her “Angel of Slaughter” name), and End (as opposed to “Death” for flow). Not that we ever mind revealing the logic behind the name as I did now, obviously, but if we’re ever fortunate enough to localize 3rd, it will most definitely be pointed out there in the text the same way the Japanese was.

Really fun to learn about.

Top Bottom