• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

I feel the Evo redesign wouldn't be so jarring if the whole game was redesigned to look more like the Cold Steel games, keeping the old fashioned look for the world/characters/gameplay but then updating the conversation models is weird

Nyoro SF

I feel the Evo redesign wouldn't be so jarring if the whole game was redesigned to look more like the Cold Steel games, keeping the old fashioned look for the world/characters/gameplay but then updating the conversation models is weird

They just needed more quality and focus overall instead of modernization or consistency (in fact, the designs are too consistent).

I mean they even ruined Nial's design. That's only possible if you just don't care about the quality of your work.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just introduced some people to this game. My friend's reactions have been pretty great.

AWEOvgF.png

Charizard's female cousin. Hahaha

Niks

Going to buy on the steam sale. Loved the FC..
Gotta support Falcom and XSEED so Im gonna buy trails of cold steel later on too.

demidar

I figured I'd share this interesting tidbit regarding the S-Craft name origin for one of the bosses in the game. I learned it as I provided some feedback on various bugs or translation errors. Hatsuu was kind enough to reply to me and also answered a question I had about said S-Craft.

HUGE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY:

Renne’s S-Craft is レ・ラナンデスin Japanese, and it’s a messy, very difficult to get combination of “Renne,” “Run,” and “Death.” In fact, even most Japanese players only figure this out when it comes up in a quiz of sorts in Sora no Kiseki 3rd. Translating the exact name was therefore impossible, because the intent was that it was basically supposed to be read as flowing, garbled text. In English, her S-Craft, Rennede, is a messy combination of Renne, Rend (to tie to her “Angel of Slaughter” name), and End (as opposed to “Death” for flow). Not that we ever mind revealing the logic behind the name as I did now, obviously, but if we’re ever fortunate enough to localize 3rd, it will most definitely be pointed out there in the text the same way the Japanese was.

Really fun to learn about.

It was lost on me because
I pronounced it Ren-ned

I recently finished Chapter 4.
The dream scenes actually almost made me cry...

Traveling with Agate as my partner instead of Schera is a change of pace. Not used to having this much testosterone in my crew, lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
wp9KyNP.jpg

Kevin with the lucky number 7.

Also, image linked for possible spoilers. I love this character.

After powering through a perfect FC run over the past few weeks (10 days really), I've finally started SC for real. I don't regret that FC replay as everything is very fresh in my mind right now.

squall211

After powering through a perfect FC run over the past few weeks (10 days really), I've finally started SC for real. I don't regret that FC replay as everything is very fresh in my mind right now.

Yeah, that's the only problem I'm having with SC. Only in chapter 3 now, but quite often I'll go talk to an NPC and Estelle will say "Hey so-and-so! I haven't seen you since we helped you with (insert problem here) a while back!" Some of those events come back to me and others I simply don't remember, as I played FC 4 years ago and didn't touch it again other than to re-watch the ending before starting SC.

max_505

I figured I'd share this interesting tidbit regarding the S-Craft name origin for one of the bosses in the game. I learned it as I provided some feedback on various bugs or translation errors. Hatsuu was kind enough to reply to me and also answered a question I had about said S-Craft.

HUGE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY:

Renne’s S-Craft is レ・ラナンデスin Japanese, and it’s a messy, very difficult to get combination of “Renne,” “Run,” and “Death.” In fact, even most Japanese players only figure this out when it comes up in a quiz of sorts in Sora no Kiseki 3rd. Translating the exact name was therefore impossible, because the intent was that it was basically supposed to be read as flowing, garbled text. In English, her S-Craft, Rennede, is a messy combination of Renne, Rend (to tie to her “Angel of Slaughter” name), and End (as opposed to “Death” for flow). Not that we ever mind revealing the logic behind the name as I did now, obviously, but if we’re ever fortunate enough to localize 3rd, it will most definitely be pointed out there in the text the same way the Japanese was.
Really fun to learn about.

Ooh, nice. I always liked the pun in her S-craft.
Just goes to show how hard it is to think of alternatives for some difficult-to-translate Japanese words.

Yeah, that's the only problem I'm having with SC. Only in chapter 3 now, but quite often I'll go talk to an NPC and Estelle will say "Hey so-and-so! I haven't seen you since we helped you with (insert problem here) a while back!" Some of those events come back to me and others I simply don't remember, as I played FC 4 years ago and didn't touch it again other than to re-watch the ending before starting SC.

yea, that's precisely why i had to replay the game. no regrets, enjoyment + 100%.

SolVanderlyn

Check out his battle music from Third Chapter, where he becomes the main character.

I was dumb and took
Mueller
over Kevin at the endgame. If I had to do it again I'd leave Olivier behind instead, even though
those two together produce some interesting dialogue

Gu4n

Check out his battle music from Third Chapter, where he becomes the main character.

I was dumb and took
Mueller
over Kevin at the endgame. If I had to do it again I'd leave Olivier behind instead, even though
those two together produce some interesting dialogue
Although I'm in the minority, I really do prefer The 3rd over SC. Kevin is not just my favourite Kiseki protagonist, he is also one of my favourites in any game.

Although I'm in the minority, I really do prefer The 3rd over SC. Kevin is not just my favourite Kiseki protagonist, he is also one of my favourites in any game.

Well hes a damn badass and a womanizer

Always with a warm smile as he takes down heretics in the shadows

jdevil99

I'm in the same exact boat, I rewatched the ending for SC and I find myself remembering some references that NPC's make during those random conversations but quite often there is stuff that I, for the life of me, can't pull out of my head since its been 4 years. It doesn't bother me too much because I do have the major stuff down and I'm ok with that. My only real problem is finishing it quick enough because the urge to play Cold Steel is strong, very strong.

Ultimadrago

Same. The whole cast is amongst my favorite JRPG casts ever.

Good! Most of the cast is fantastic! :D

Indeed! Between FC and this game (I'm only about to start Chapter 4), I'm hard pressed to find another overall cast I prefer in a JRPG, actually. It really covers a lot of the "bases" in a relative undertone that weaves itself through the whole narrative with pacing and all compared to the violent whiplash mess I've encountered in many other JRPGs. Not to say I've hated all of the titles pertaining to the latter, but I really haven't run into another series like it. Had to mention it again!

Guys, I think Estelle may be one of my favorite JRPG protagonists ever.

Indeed! Between FC and this game (I'm only about to start Chapter 4), I'm hard pressed to find another overall cast I prefer in a JRPG, actually. It really covers a lot of the "bases" in a relative undertone that weaves itself through the whole narrative with pacing and all compared to the violent whiplash mess I've encountered in many other JRPGs. Not to say I've hated all of the titles pertaining to the latter, but I really haven't run into another series like it. Had to mention it again!

Oh Christ, you don't even know yet.

Estelle is already my favorite female game protagonist and fighting for favorite overall with maybe 3 other characters, and I'm at Chapter 5. If she somehow gets MORE amazing....

Guys, I think Estelle may be one of my favorite JRPG protagonists ever.
It's okay, I'm in the same boat.

I'm in chapter 2 right now, and doing both games back to back, I love the character progression. I mean, the ending to FC is a really high mark in JRPGs for me, but the way they deal with the fallout of that moment is really good. I feared everything would feel slow, coming off the roller coaster of FC's last few hours, but I'm thoroughly enjoying all the character building moments.

It's hard to qualify, but I think I love how solid the writing is. You don't have to have the most original ideas to write a good story, clearly delineated and relatable characters who grow over time, plot execution, universe building and stakes slowly increasing will do wonders. These guys are seriously good. I hope the other games are as well written.

I'm almost happy I won't be home for another week to receive my Cold Steel copy, that spares me a dilemma.

Nose Master

I really wanna buy this, but I haven't beaten the OG yet. Will I be left in the dark plot wise? I might read a wiki, but I'll play the original eventually. Dunno where my PSP charging cable ran off to.

Ratrat

I really wanna buy this, but I haven't beaten the OG yet. Will I be left in the dark plot wise? I might read a wiki, but I'll play the original eventually. Dunno where my PSP charging cable ran off to.
Play FC first. They are literaly two parts of the same game. It would be like playing the second half of a single game first.

Just play FC for now, and buy this one when you're done with it. SC is not going anywhere and you'd be essentially jumping in the middle of a game. OTOH, playing SC right after FC totally pays off.

The first few hours of FC are a bit tedious, but once the ball gets rolling, it's pretty engrossing. If you have my kind of OCD where you don't want to miss side stuff, I suggest you use a guide (there's a good one on gamefaqs).

Psxphile

Will a Xbox One or ps4 controller work easily without much set up?

The game supports both Xinput and directinput, if your setup can spoof those then they should work with little problem. Personally I use a PS3 controller w/ a wireless Mayflash adapter in Xinput mode. Works like a charm, and all the buttons are preconfigured to mimic playing on a console.

I've never tried any of the Bluetooth solutions.

duckroll

Almost finished the game today. Spent 2 fucking hours fighting like 4 boss fights in the row at the end of the final dungeon. The cutscenes were super cool, and the fights were actually pretty fun even with a lvl92 party. Then the game refused to end after that and once I managed to save, I had to quit to take a break. Spent a few hours building a new model kit, so I guess that's that for today. Tomorrow I -will- finish the game and finally post final impressions! Lol. Game timer is at 69 hours and counting now. Longass game!

thematic

after finishing this game today, I really hope they localized 3rd chapter someday.

because
too many unanswered questions, like who the hell is "grandmaster"?, what's the story for most Enforcer after the ending?, Kevin's/church history.

anyone who finished 3rd chapter can tell me if they cover it in 3rd or not?

epmode

Just finished the game. Good times. Thanks, XSEED.

One thing: I'd like to have seen the ending of
Zane and Scherezard's arcs with their rivals but

A. Both characters were pretty underleveled compared to my main party
B. There was no fast way to swap out party members at the end of the game. Had to leave the tower, walk to the elevator, take the skyway, back down the elevator, to the airship and all the way back.

On to Trails of Cold Steel!

Is it possible to play this game with a controller?
You need a mouse to use the external configuration program but 99.9% of the game is playable on a controller. (I ran into a few cases towards the end where I had to use a mouse to choose a dialogue option. Probably a bug/oversight)

Gu4n

after finishing this game today, I really hope they localized 3rd chapter someday.

because
too many unanswered questions, like who the hell is "grandmaster"?, what's the story for most Enforcer after the ending?, Kevin's/church history.

anyone who finished 3rd chapter can tell me if they cover it in 3rd or not?
The first one isn't (Falcom hinted at getting valuable hints in Cold Steel III); the second and third question will be answered wholly. Endless History is currently running a biweekly feature called Translation Tuesday addressing these kind of topics (not these two yet).

thematic

The first one isn't (Falcom hinted at getting valuable hints in Cold Steel III); the second and third question will be answered wholly. Endless History is currently running a biweekly feature called Translation Tuesday addressing these kind of topics (not these two yet).

so
the Grandmaster is like "common enemy" in each Trails games?

please XSEED, translate the 3rd one!!!
hopefully the sales number from 2nd is high enough though

Just finished the game. Good times. Thanks, XSEED.

One thing: I'd like to have seen the ending of
Zane and Scherezard's arcs with their rivals but

A. Both characters were pretty underleveled compared to my main party
B. There was no fast way to swap out party members at the end of the game. Had to leave the tower, walk to the elevator, take the skyway, back down the elevator, to the airship and all the way back.

On to Trails of Cold Steel!

You need a mouse to use the external configuration program but 99.9% of the game is playable on a controller. (I ran into a few cases towards the end where I had to use a mouse to choose a dialogue option. Probably a bug/oversight)

So I could just plug in my Xbox One controller after setting things up with a mouse?

Top Bottom