• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if I'd say better in every way.

I think FC had better pacing, especially compared to the first half of SC. FC has that gradual build up and payoff in each chapter, with the events in each chapter getting progressively bigger and better. SC's entire first half is like the same thing over and over, and the one chapter that could have been more interesting was blown by coming at a point where you already know what to expect so any potential for surprise was lost.

In general, I think I agree with the complaint that SC's repetition is it's biggest issue.
Taking four chapters to introduce the four enforcers, the four tower dungeons + boss fights getting it's own dedicated chapter with nothing to break it up, then another super linear tower with those same four bosses in slightly harder fights.

Other than that, I'd agree it's FC but better.

Does Valve have restrictions on bundles or is it something one can just make at a whim?

I didn't think there were any restrictions on it, Steam has tons of bundles including some from small indies with multiple games. Can't imagine there would be an issue there, if XSEED wanted a bundle they could probably get it. Most likely they just don't want to (yet, or at all, who knows), or Falcom doesn't want the games to be sold as a bundle.

JPS Kai

Found a small glitch.

I was playing on a friend's TV where I had to adjust down the screen size. Came home to play it today and saw it was still letterboxed, so I readjusted the sliders back up to max before loading my save. Now my game is still letterboxed, but when I talk to NPC's, their character portrait is the size it would be if the screen were fully stretched out. I'm talking to Instructor Thomas now and his portrait is clipping through the box and going off the top of the screen.

It's the little stuff in life.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It would be nice if XSEED could somehow change the name of the game on Steam to be called "Second Chapter" instead of just "SC"

I might be alone in this, but if they were to go that route then dropping the "Legend of Heroes" moniker in the game listing/library might not be a bad idea either. That brand doesn't really have any nostalgia or bring anything to the table in English, and sounds incredibly generic which can be offputting to the casual browser. The Trails titles themselves stand out a lot more.

I might be alone in this, but if they were to go that route then dropping the "Legend of Heroes" moniker in the game listing/library might not be a bad idea either. That brand doesn't really have any nostalgia or bring anything to the table in English, and sounds incredibly generic which can be offputting to the casual browser. The Trails titles themselves stand out a lot more.
It seems like they've done this with CS. The Trails of Cold Steel branding feels far more upfront. Even on the game box Cold Steel is front and center with Legend of Heroes in small print.

I don't disagree on the idea of it.

I wish we live in a world where the name "Legend of Heroes" isn't perceived as generic though.

I like how simple and straightforward it is as a title. A story that tells of the legends of heroes.

It's a pity that simple names like that has been smeared with mobile crap.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think it's more the fact that "Legend of Heroes" is something that anybody could come up with. I'm sure many fourth graders have written stories with that title.

It seems like they've done this with CS. The Trails of Cold Steel branding feels far more upfront. Even on the game box Cold Steel is front and center with Legend of Heroes in small print.

Even Falcom themselves are doing this, with how they've effectively removed the numbering scheme for Cold Steel even in their Japanese marketing.

Einhander

It works for the "Tales of" series, so why not "Trails of"? I would miss "The Legend of Heroes" title, though. It makes it sound like an epic journey.

Eusis

It works for the "Tales of" series, so why not "Trails of"? I would miss "The Legend of Heroes" title, though. It makes it sound like an epic journey.
Outside of a handful of entries, there aren't many canonically connected Tales entries, whereas if they ever move on from the Trailsverse there may be issues there. Not that that is a HUGE hurdle, but if they want to make a new game of that style without any prequel baggage they might want to use Legend of Heroes for that.

More importantly actually I think Legend of Heroes kind of detonates their traditional JRPGs from their action RPG output, which is almost everything else to some extent (of anything that had a release within, like, the last two decades I think only Dinosaur Resurrection and Vantage Master are exempt.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
More importantly actually I think Legend of Heroes kind of detonates their traditional JRPGs from their action RPG output, which is almost everything else to some extent (of anything that had a release within, like, the last two decades I think only Dinosaur Resurrection and Vantage Master are exempt.)

That doesn't really mean much for western audiences in 2015, where Falcom is basically Ys, and to a lesser extent Trails. Basically everything else has been dormant for around 2 decades. Gurumin is the only exception that comes to mind. And I guess Brandish, which released earlier this year digital-only on a dead platform with zero fanfare.

2016 may bring a nice helping of Xanadu though, since we're getting Xanadu Next and Tokyo Xanadu would be about the least surprising announcement ever.

That doesn't really mean much for western audiences in 2015, where Falcom is basically Ys, and to a lesser extent Trails. Basically everything else has been dormant for around 2 decades. Gurumin is the only exception that comes to mind. And I guess Brandish, which released earlier this year digital-only on a dead platform with zero fanfare.

2016 may bring a nice helping of Xanadu though, since we're getting Xanadu Next and Tokyo Xanadu would be about the least surprising announcement ever.
It was already mentioned in the recent meeting that Falcom were looking at the possibility of bringing Tokyo Xanadu to the West, so yes, it has a decent chance of coming.

Famassu

Finished this last night. Wow, what a ride. Some random thoughts...

Almost screwed up the last, LAST boss
lost Agate when I didn't know that the one attack from the boss could just make characters vanish like that, almost lost Joshua too when I forgot what I was doing and didn't move him far away from the attack that would've made him vanish. I did a "basic attack -> S-craft intercept" attack pattern and luckily the basic attack moved me on to a platform that was JUST outside the attack's range, though left Joshua unable to move. I really did mean to just move him far away before using the S-Craft, but a moment of forgetfulness lead me to attack. Otherwise it was a pretty lulz fight, with Kevin, Gladiator Belt & his lovely 2 x Max Guard around. The boss was so slow that it couldn't really do anything to me. All those big, deadly looking attacks were nullified by either Kevin's S-Craft Max Guards or Earth Walls

I really liked the emotional roller-coaster of a moment at the end of Chapter 8 when
Olivier appeared. First I was all "yay, Olivier!", then he started acting like an asshole and I was all "Olivier...? I thought we had something special going on ;___;", then there was a small moment of doubt as to whether he was even Olivier and not just his asshole twin brother or something when he claimed he didn't recognize us, but no, it was Olivier. Betrayal! Rage! And then he was awesome again. Rarely do I have such a change of emotions within such a short time span, hehe.

There was one thing that annoyed me throughout the game. It was how the Enforcers just ran away so easily with their Awesome Super Skills. The bad guys (or "bad guys") did that in FC too, but the way they escaped was usually more plausible/believable, not just the baddies disappearing with a puff of smoke or something. All-in-all, the enforcers (apart from Loewe) were kinda the weakest aspect of the game. They weren't super-bad, but they weren't as great as everything else. Their appearances were a bit too generic villain-y & superficial earlier in the game and I felt that the exposition later in the game was a bit too brief. They were supposed to be these super-emotional moments, yet they fell a bit flat because they had such small (on-screen) parts otherwise overall. With the exception of
Renne
and that's because we actually did spend a bit more time with that one.

I've got to say, I really liked (Chapter 6)
how Estelle & Joshua's relationship was developed. Probably one of the best written romances in gaming, from the somewhat tropeish I'm-developing-romantic-feelings-towards-this-person-how-can-I-tell-him-no-it's-too-embarassing in FC to what it becomes in SC. I especially liked the talk on the beach. I feel like you rarely get that well written relationship talk in fictions, let alone in JRPGs. Stuff like Bioware's games seem like such amateur hours in comparison. Joshua was trying to go with the whole emo you're-better-off-without-me crap & Estelle wasn't taking any of that shit, lol. They even kissed and it was handled pretty well.

Kain

I'm in the last dungeon and I've really liked the last two episodes. I complained before that I didn't like the repetitiveness of the first episodes (there were some pacing issues there) but the final part is very cool. Especially (final episodes spoilers)

the last dungeon is super, super cool. I really dig the "ancient civilization with super advanced technology" trope in this game, I felt they did it really well.

Can't wait to see how this ends.

This game is still omgwtfawesome. Question about endgame area:

Do I really have to keep fucking Kloe in my party once I get the gospel to use it? I'm sick of walking and back and forth from the ship to the second area lol.

This game is still omgwtfawesome. Question about endgame area:

Do I really have to keep fucking Kloe in my party once I get the gospel to use it? I'm sick of walking and back and forth from the ship to the second area lol.

No, she only needs to be present to obtain it, but sadly you always have to walk back to the ship to switch party members :/

zakujanai

Cook lots of Meatballs. Throw them all at Loewe.

Enjoy. SC is like FC, but better in every way.

Almost like Terminator 2 or Home Alone 2 - the same, but not, and also better

I'm sure most wouldn't agree but Terminator was better than Terminator 2 and Home Alone 2 is basically a bigger budget remake of Home Alone. I actually prefer FC to SC in a lot of ways but just like those movie sequels, SC is awesome in its own right and a must play of you enjoyed the first one.

hohoXD123

Just finished it. Damn, this may actually be one of my favourite games ever (combining FC and SC). Can't wait for TC to be translated, any word on the success of the series so far on steam? Looking at the sales estimate for SC on the store page it's only about 10,000 or so which seems really low.

ok good because I'm all about that estelle/joshua/agate/kevin combo

If you stick to that combo though you'll lose out on some story and cutscene elements later on. It's a hassle to keep going back and forth but worth it imo.

Gu4n

Just finished it. Damn, this may actually be one of my favourite games ever (combining FC and SC). Can't wait for TC to be translated, any word on the success of the series so far on steam? Looking at the sales estimate for SC on the store page it's only about 10,000 or so which seems really low.[/SPOILER]
Unlike the PSP releases, the Steam releases have been considered surprisingly successful. You just finished it, considered it one of your favourite games every and will surely recommend it to a couple of friends, who'll get it and the cycle repeats itself. It really is just a matter of time.

Einhander

End of chapter 2 spoilers

I got my ass handed to me by the Abyss Worms. They are tough. I hate when they make you fight multiple strong mini-bosses. My initial strategy was to kill those flying creatures, then taking on the worms, but that didn't work out. Oh well. Off to round 2.

End of chapter 2 spoilers

I got my ass handed to me by the Abyss Worms. They are tough. I hate when they make you fight multiple strong mini-bosses. My initial strategy was to kill those flying creatures, then taking on the worms, but that didn't work out. Oh well. Off to round 2.

Gameplay spoiler for end of chapter 2.

Did you figure out that you should probably focus on one at a time, because hitting them makes them earthquake? It's risky to do aoe moves on them.

Einhander

Gameplay spoiler for end of chapter 2.

Did you figure out that you should probably focus on one at a time, because hitting them makes them earthquake? It's risky to do aoe moves on them.

I found that out by reading a strategy guide online.
It didn't occur to me that their earthquake ability is only triggered when you hit one of them. I ended up casting Airstrike using Estelle, Scherazard, and Tita. Kloe was my healer, casting La Tear. It took quite a bit of time, but I defeated them.

Finished chapter 5, it was really good but something is bothering me about these side quests
I never managed to report the first three monster hunting quests separately, so I got some story BP for doing all three, but when I check my log, the separate quests never gave me any BP. Is this normal?
I'm playing on PSP.

Diablos54

Finished chapter 5, it was really good but something is bothering me about these side quests
I never managed to report the first three monster hunting quests separately, so I got some story BP for doing all three, but when I check my log, the separate quests never gave me any BP. Is this normal?
I'm playing on PSP.
Yea that's normal no need to worry.

I beat the game late last night. It was super fantastico. I have very little complaints (not being able to skip attacak animations and
way too many boss fights at the end
).

Other than that I loved everything. The story the characters the world the gameplay. Loved every minute and am sad to have finished.
I didn't have any trouble beating any boss at the end. Some really difficult and long fights but the team of joshua/estella/agate/kevin beasted me through. I did manage to catch a few of those extra cutscenes at the end by bringing the right character but I don't think I caught all.

I also thought that
Joshua and Estelle was handled really well <3
. Also why I do I get the feeling
Cassius could have ended the enforcers and this entire plan like in 1 day if he wanted to.

omgfloofy

Banned
I beat the game late last night. It was super fantastico. I have very little complaints (not being able to skip attacak animations and
way too many boss fights at the end
).

Sadly, that isn't something that gets introduced in the series until 3rd. And only for S-Crafts. Zero then introduces the ability to skip arts and so forth as well, making battles go much faster. (Which even allows them to manage one of the surprise fights in Ao no Kiseki.)

Other than that I loved everything. The story the characters the world the gameplay. Loved every minute and am sad to have finished.
I didn't have any trouble beating any boss at the end. Some really difficult and long fights but the team of joshua/estella/agate/kevin beasted me through. I did manage to catch a few of those extra cutscenes at the end by bringing the right character but I don't think I caught all.

That's a good description for that team- it's a beast of one. ;D

And having Agate in it helps during the TM battle while Joshua's not there. And Kevin being around helps a lot- you get a bit more of an explanation of what Kevin did to Joshua by having him directly on hand. (Also, you can catch Kevin taking off to go hunt down Weissmann after the battle if you keep your eye on him.)

I'm very glad you enjoyed the game, though! Congrats for beating it. :D

Sadly, that isn't something that gets introduced in the series until 3rd. And only for S-Crafts. Zero then introduces the ability to skip arts and so forth as well, making battles go much faster. (Which even allows them to manage one of the surprise fights in Ao no Kiseki.)

That's a good description for that team- it's a beast of one. ;D

I'm very glad you enjoyed the game, though! Congrats for beating it. :D
Thanks!
And yes I did catch that scene with Kevin. That's what kills me about this game. There's still so much overarching mystery between all the different parties. I feel like it was pretty satisfying but it's pretty crazy how much we don't know about the story. Or at least I don't know.
I'll start Cold Steel sooner or later but this game feels like the Persona 4 of the series where I honestly can't imagine the next being better. I just don't see how it's possible. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

omgfloofy

Banned
That's what kills me about this game. There's still so much overarching mystery between all the different parties. I feel like it was pretty satisfying but it's pretty crazy how much we don't know about the story. Or at least I don't know.

Oh, the series is SO GOOD at that.

For example, 3rd has Kevin as a main character- yet somehow, once the game is done, we learn pretty much jack about the Septian Church, despite the fact that a high ranking member is the main character. And Falcom has maintained that mystery about them through the entire series. So much so that Guan and I've had a number of debates over our views of them. ;D

Oh, the series is SO GOOD at that.

For example, 3rd has Kevin as a main character- yet somehow, once the game is done, we learn pretty much jack about the Septian Church, despite the fact that a high ranking member is the main character. And Falcom has maintained that mystery about them through the entire series. So much so that Guan and I've had a number of debates over our views of them. ;D

I feel like we know more about
Ouroboros
than the
Septian Church's inner hierachy.

Probably because at least with the former, we know it runs by the [3rd spoiler]
whim, foppery and extremely lax rules of the Grandmaster.

omgfloofy

Banned
I feel like we know more about
Ouroboros
than the
Septian Church's inner hierachy.

Probably because at least with the former, we know it runs by the [3rd spoiler]
whim, foppery and extremely lax rules of the Grandmaster.

I agree 100% with this.
Vague general spoilers:
Though I've had a bit of a running theory that the Ouroboros and Septian Church are more connected than at first thought.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Translation Tuesday that was recently posted has some super interesting information about the ENDING SPOILERS
special bolt Kevin used to turn Weissman to salt
, so I highly suggest taking a look at it. It's also quite possibly the most interesting piece of Zemurian lore I've seen yet.

Top Bottom