• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Shahed

I think limiting bonding events is a mistake as it means there's less opportunity to get to know both Rean and the other characters better.

For example I never liked Alisa, Millium or Machias. A few others were a bit more tolerable but it was only really Laura, Gauis and to a lesser extent Emma and Elliot I liked. So naturally when there were bonding events I gravitated towards them and other characters that were decent and rarely seen like Sara and Towa.

So I had characters I liked more and others I wasn't a fan of. By limiting the bonding events I chose my favourites and this widened the divide between those I like and those I didn't. Since there was multiple playthroughs and Link levels were carried over it wasn't necessary to view all the events to meet the requirements for each characters ending so on a repeat playthrough where I'm speeding through everything as fast as possible I'm going to miss out on those characters that I ignored again.

If they decided to remove the bonding event limit I would have seen them all and may had a greater appreciation for characters I skipped and Rean himself. While in a more normal RPG and the Sky games you didn't have to pick and choose between your characters. You see their development and characterisation throughout.

I think limiting bonding events is a mistake as it means there's less opportunity to get to know both Rean and the other characters better.

For example I never liked Alisa, Millium or Machias. A few others were a bit more tolerable but it was only really Laura, Gauis and to a lesser extent Emma and Elliot I liked. So naturally when there were bonding events I gravitated towards them and other characters that were decent and rarely seen like Sara and Towa.

So I had characters I liked more and others I wasn't a fan of. My limiting the bonding events I chose my favourites and this widened the divide between those I like anr those I didn't. Since there was multiple playthroughs and Link levels were carried over it wasn't necessary to view all the events to meet the requirements for each characters ending so on a repeat playthrough where I'm speeding through everything as fast as possible I'm going to miss out on those characters that I ignored again.

If they decided to remove the bonding event limit I would have seen them all and may had a greater appreciation for characters I skipped and Rean himself. While in a more normal RPG and the Sky games you didn't have to pick and choose between your characters. You see their development and characterisation throughout.

Thats not even the worst part

By nature of them being optional they can only ever contribute to moderate fleshing of back story and are never called back upon or move established relationships forward

They end up being empty extras. So yes, Rean spent this time with said character they revealed said details that will never be carried over.

It works for Persona because each game is a One-Off story and the relationship you create carries to the end as your canon story

It actively works against the serialized trails storytelling and they have to be forced to consider this when moving the script forward. So while they create these very personal moments with these characters they dont STICK and ultimately dont matter

Shahed

Thats not even the worst part

By nature of them being optional they can only ever contribute to moderate fleshing of back story and are never called back upon or move established relationships forward

They end up being empty extras. So yes, Rean spent this time with said character they revealed said details that will never be carried over.

It works for Persona because each game is a One-Off story and the relationship you create carries to the end as your canon story

It actively works against the serialized trails storytelling and they have to be forced to consider this when moving the script forward. So while they create these very personal moments with these characters they dont STICK and ultimately dont matter

It's also why I'm not a fan of having endings for each character. That's fine in a standalone game, but in a series where you will take those relationships forward over multiple games it just becomes a mess. I ended up with Laura the way things went but if what if they decide in Cold Steel II or III they want go with Alisa, Emma or whoever instead because it fits the overall plot better? Do they decide any decisions I make are meaningless or hold back on what may be valuable story and character development because I may have picked someone else? Neither option is ideal and I'd rather they just decided on their and had things fixed so they could plan things ahead and have a more cohesive path going forward.

Sure I might not like Alisa or something, but if Falcom say she's the main heroine then fine do that and build you series story and character development around it. Bouncing all over the place can get messy.

It's also why I'm not a fan of having endings for each character. That's fine in a standalone game, but in a series where you will take those relationships forward over multiple games it just becomes a mess. I ended up with Laura the way things went but if what if they decide in Cold Steel II or III they want go with Alisa, Emma or whoever instead because it fits the overall plot better? Do they decide any decisions I make are meaningless or hold back on what may be valuable story and character development because I may have picked someone else? Neither option is ideal and I'd rather they just decided on their and had things fixed so they could plan things ahead and have a more cohesive path going forward.

Sure I might not like Alisa or something, but if Falcom say she's the main heroine then fine do that and build you series story and character development around it. Bouncing all over the place can get messy.

Taking the Persona approach was a mistake... creatively

Im not sure what it meant for them from a marketing and money perspective. Change isnt bad but cmon Falcom. Look to your strengths and double down on them

zakujanai

Some serious performance issues in that last dungeon, almost had to take a break because the stuttering frame rate was driving me mad.

famfrit

Cant believe that the OP dont put the title of "The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Persona". Everything in this game scream Persona to me... and I like that.

Awesome game, playing in Nightmare here. Started the 4º chapter this week, but my sister borrowed the PS3. /sad

zakujanai

I love how right before the big reveal in the final chapter,
Millium just comes right out and says that C is Crow and he's going to kill Osbourne.
Imagine if right before Estelle goes for ice cream at the end of FC Joshua turns to her and says
by the way, that Alba guy is actually my old boss from an evil secret organisation and he's going to unlock my memories of being an assassin in a minute so I'm probably going disappear soon.
The following scene wouldn't have quite the same dramatic effect after that.

He had a sweet moment with Estelle near the beginning of SC and a couple of other events during the early parts of the game made it clear that he's not a totally worthless character and
that twist at the end with him killing Weissman & stuff
made me more interested in what 3rd has in store for him. But as of right now, I don't particularly care about Kevin as he was in SC. That's just me, probably. I have very little interest in that stereotypical womanizers that Kevin is portrayed as, no matter how much of a heart of gold they have. Olivier is somewhat similar, but he has some comedic value and the over-the-topness makes it pretty clear that it's mostly just an act, whereas Kevin is a bit more serious so his womanizing ways just come off as lame.

I actually have an opposite interpretation that you about those two characters.
Kevin's womanizing moments always come off as a facade that's there to make people take him less seriously. You could see how quickly he drops it when needs be, even in his first appearance.

Whereas Olivier's shenanigans seems like it's actually his real self letting loose, away from Erebonian eyes where he must maintain appearance to some degree. You could see he could not even maintain his serious persona for long during the Haken Gate negotiation.

I actually have an opposite interpretation that you about those two characters.
Kevin's womanizing moments always come off as a facade that's there to make people take him less seriously. You could see how quickly he drops it when needs be, even in his first appearance.

Whereas Olivier's shenanigans seems like it's actually his real self letting loose, away from Erebonian eyes where he must maintain appearance to some degree. You could see he could not even maintain his serious persona for long during the Haken Gate negotiation.

Whike i agree to an extent i think kevin is slightly more nuanced than that. I think HE does like the ladies but is held down by the church so he rebels and tempts himself from time to time as a coping mechanism lol

Whike i agree to an extent i think kevin is slightly more nuanced than that. I think HE does like the ladies but is held down by the church so he rebels and tempts himself from time to time as a coping mechanism lol

Yar, I agree that he does like the ladies, but I also think that he mostly uses that inclination it as a tool. I've got the impression that he'd quickly bail out before anything ever happens, while Olivier would just go all in.

zakujanai

In what can only be the final confrontation of the game, it has completely frozen. I've got very little desire to repeat the two previous fights as one was rather lengthy. This is the third freeze I've had so far, incredibly disappointed with the performance of the game. I hope the next one doesn't suffer from similar issues.

Cant believe that the OP dont put the title of "The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Persona". Everything in this game scream Persona to me... and I like that.

I don't like the Persona approach they took at all. Persona 3 and 4 were designed around that kind of school life/calendar-based style, whereas in CS it feels really crammed in and makes this already relatively uneventful game downright monotonous. The social links and sidequests in P3 and 4 were there to break up all the dungeoneering, while in CS there isn't really anything to break up.

I don't like the Persona approach they took at all. Persona 3 and 4 were designed around that kind of school life/calendar-based style, whereas in CS it feels really crammed in and makes this already relatively uneventful game downright monotonous. The social links and sidequests in P3 and 4 were there to break up all the dungeoneering, while in CS there isn't really anything to break up.

Agreed

I get who they were targeting and I can see why some people like it. For me it made up the worst parts of the game and brought it down as a whole

Millium just comes right out and says that C is Crow and he's going to kill Osbourne.
Imagine if right before Estelle goes for ice cream at the end of FC Joshua turns to her and says
by the way, that Alba guy is actually my old boss from an evil secret organisation and he's going to unlock my memories of being an assassin in a minute so I'm probably going disappear soon.

this.

In what can only be the final confrontation of the game, it has completely frozen. I've got very little desire to repeat the two previous fights as one was rather lengthy. This is the third freeze I've had so far, incredibly disappointed with the performance of the game. I hope the next one doesn't suffer from similar issues.

happened to me too. trust me, it's not too long. you'll be there very quick.

the truth. i'm glad more people are catching up.

omgfloofy

Banned
cough. unmarked spoilers here. big time.

EDIT:
oops. fixed now. I must've had good timing to catch it. lol

EDIT mk 2:
Nope. On reload, it just looks like none of the spoiler tags on the page were loading at all for me for that moment. Weird.

Carry on!

zakujanai

On my second go it took about 5 minutes to catch up, not sure how it took so long the first time. Still annoyed at it freezing at such an exciting moment.

Once I finished (132 hours somehow) I got straight into the Sen 2 demo again. Thought it was going to end when it got to the title screen but it just kept going, had to stop myself playing because I didn't want to see any more of
Yumir
. My Japanese is really basic so I didn't attempt to follow much of what was happening, I am intrigued to find out why Rean had seemingly
been unconscious in the Eisengard for a whole month though.

On my second go it took about 5 minutes to catch up, not sure how it took so long the first time. Still annoyed at it freezing at such an exciting moment.

Once I finished (132 hours somehow) I got straight into the Sen 2 demo again. Thought it was going to end when it got to the title screen but it just kept going, had to stop myself playing because I didn't want to see any more of
Yumir
. My Japanese is really basic so I didn't attempt to follow much of what was happening, I am intrigued to find out why Rean had seemingly

That demo spans all the way
through the end of the prologue.
I was surprised that the demo gave us a handful of content that was not in Trails of Cold Steel 1. It made me realize the wait for the second game to be more agonizing.

Stuart444

Yumir

Didn't know Sen 2 had a demo *downloads*

Finished my second playthrough and got platinum. Yep, still GOTY until CS2 comes out. The last fight on Nightmare hahaha.. took me at least 10 tries <.< It's kind of unbalanced (har har)

While playing around with different Master Quartzes I realized how broken Moebius on Lv5 is since it gives healing items an Area (M) effect. Combined with Hotpot and Burgers.. ridiculous healing (HP/EP and CP) and buffing power. Probably the best support MQ, just as broken as Angel and Vermillion.

O, just going to accept that me and Fammasu are polar opposites

Cant believe we found someone that doesnt consider Kevin one of the best RPG characters ever made

I hated Kevin until the very very end of SC. Now I think he's "okay".

Finished my second playthrough and got platinum. Yep, still GOTY until CS2 comes out. The last fight on Nightmare hahaha.. took me at least 10 tries <.< It's kind of unbalanced (har har)

While playing around with different Master Quartzes I realized how broken Moebius on Lv5 is since it gives healing items an Area (M) effect. Combined with Hotpot and Burgers.. ridiculous healing (HP/EP and CP) and buffing power. Probably the best support MQ, just as broken as Angel and Vermillion.

I hated Kevin until the very very end of SC. Now I think he's "okay".

Booooo

Lol naw i can totally see characters giving mixed reactions. Its all subjective.

Jk Kevins the best :p

I thought everyone loving Kevin played Third and there was something I'm missing.
SC-Kevin is pretty meh until the final few scenes. His localised dialoge also didn't do anything for me.
Yeah I don't really understand the love either

Maybe people just like jerks with bad hairstyles :p

Psxphile

Yeah I don't really understand the love either

Maybe people just like jerks with bad hairstyles :p

1uKLtF1.gif

Not really.
It was super obvious by that point that C was Crow and I appreciate the game not treating me like an idiot and making it look like some big clever reveal. After all, why would Crow head to the capital at the same time Osbourne is supposed to give his speech to the public other than to fulfill the IFL's greatest goal and kill him. Alba being revealed as the puppeteer behind Joshua's memories and the big bad at the end of FC was a much more surprising reveal.

Essentially, I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be a dramatic reveal, especially in the same vein
as the reveal in FC.

Don't like it at all in modern Persona and didn't really care for it here after playing through it a few times. It's just a poor approach in general.

Not really.
It was super obvious by that point that C was Crow and I appreciate the game not treating me like an idiot and making it look like some big clever reveal. After all, why would Crow head to the capital at the same time Osbourne is supposed to give his speech to the public other than to fulfill the IFL's greatest goal and kill him. Alba being revealed as the puppeteer behind Joshua's memories and the big bad at the end of FC was a much more surprising reveal.

Essentially, I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be a dramatic reveal, especially in the same vein
as the reveal in FC.

Don't like it at all in modern Persona and didn't really care for it here after playing through it a few times. It's just a poor approach in general.

My main thing about that one is "why is Millium not stroking out over her Gramps being in danger? Oh right, not an actual character."
:)

noonche

I just wanted to say that I'm having way more fun with this than I expected to. I haven't been able to get into Trails in the Sky and found the Legend of the White Witch or whatever it was called, to be really boring.

I like the characters (apart from Millia or whatever her name is) and writing. The musics pretty good and the production values are good enough to not turn me off.

I just wanted to say that I'm having way more fun with this than I expected to. I haven't been able to get into Trails in the Sky and found the Legend of the White Witch or whatever it was called, to be really boring.

I like the characters (apart from Millia or whatever her name is) and writing. The musics pretty good and the production values are good enough to not turn me off.

Trails in the sky picks up major steam once you leave the first town

Come to think of it.... Where did she go and what was her reaction to the murder?

She stayed with the class ..i'm convinced she would had a more obvious reaction if lecter or claire got shot..

She probably realised that there wasn't much she could do , once she couldn't contact anyone on time.

Nyoro SF

I'm always wary of people who say they like or don't like a story, but then can't even remember character names from said story... >:-|

(Also Kevin is quite an interesting character... (SC spoiler)
it's pretty amazing how good he is at drawing attention away from himself in all situations. Even when he reveals his identity you don't really get the full breadth of his character and he's good at slipping away even in conversations.

zakujanai

That demo spans all the way
through the end of the prologue.
I was surprised that the demo gave us a handful of content that was not in Trails of Cold Steel 1. It made me realize the wait for the second game to be more agonizing.

I'm glad I stopped when I did now, I'm pretty sure
the prologue in Steel took me hours to get through.

Not really.

as the reveal in FC.

It was pretty obvious it was Crow by then but only because they made it so. If the villain hadn't been called C then I probably wouldn't have got it even when he vanished. I know in Japanese C would be a synonym for "death", wonder if it makes the connection to the word "Kurou" (I presume his name was something like that) any harder to spot? Even though it was guessable though, it was still really awkward and strange to have it spelled out before it even happened.

omgfloofy

Banned
It was pretty obvious it was Crow by then but only because they made it so. If the villain hadn't been called C then I probably wouldn't have got it even when he vanished. I know in Japanese C would be a synonym for "death", wonder if it makes the connection to the word "Kurou" (I presume his name was something like that) any harder to spot? Even though it was guessable though, it was still really awkward and strange to have it spelled out before it even happened.

I talked about this earlier in this thread- the forthright clues and obvious nature for Crow = C is something that I think was 100% intentional, because the game wanted you to feel the anticipation of it / nervous factor of 'whaaaat?' regarding him. There's a lot of meta storywriting in the game, using the mechanics against you.

The calendar, for example, is essentially a giant countdown. You're waiting for that shoe to drop. After you beat the final dungeon and Loa Erebonius... and nothing happens. You are left in anticipation in the 'we did SOMETHING, but what??' sort of way.

The game is all about anticipation, and the unsettling feeling you get having an idea of something 'not good' being around the corner.

While it is a Legend of Heroes game, it is part of an entirely different trilogy/storyline, with very little tie to the Trails in the Sky series. Also, they were localized by separate companies and Bandai really butchered the localization of these games, while XSEED has done a pretty great job with the Trails series.

Trails in the sky is a very slow burn, and takes a while to "get good." It starts to get better once you meet a certain foreigner in Ch. 1, and really kicks it into high gear in the middle of Ch. 2.

While it is a Legend of Heroes game, it is part of an entirely different trilogy/storyline, with very little tie to the Trails in the Sky series. Also, they were localized by separate companies and Bandai really butchered the localization of these games, while XSEED has done a pretty great job with the Trails series.

Trails in the sky is a very slow burn, and takes a while to "get good." It starts to get better once you meet a certain foreigner in Ch. 1, and really kicks it into high gear in the middle of Ch. 2.

Huh?

It has huge ties to Trails in the SKy and every other game leading up to it apparently :(

Thud

For trails in the sky I actually recommend not rushing through the prologue. Rolent is a sweet little town, where everybody knows eachother and the main characters.

It really feels like that place is home.

zakujanai

I talked about this earlier in this thread- the forthright clues and obvious nature for Crow = C is something that I think was 100% intentional, because the game wanted you to feel the anticipation of it / nervous factor of 'whaaaat?' regarding him. There's a lot of meta storywriting in the game, using the mechanics against you.

The calendar, for example, is essentially a giant countdown. You're waiting for that shoe to drop. After you beat the final dungeon and Loa Erebonius... and nothing happens. You are left in anticipation in the 'we did SOMETHING, but what??' sort of way.

The game is all about anticipation, and the unsettling feeling you get having an idea of something 'not good' being around the corner.

I felt the countdown feeling you describe but for most of the game it was towards the event shown in the prologue, that was the real anticlimax moment for me.

I didn't work out Crow was C until the scene in class after the festival ended and it was a pretty awesome feeling going round looking for him all the while living in denial at the realisation I'd just had. I was playing with my partner and we even had a moment of relief when she pointed out he was with us at the mine and then I remembered the fact he separated from the party and we accepted the obvious truth of it. Overall, that whole section had almost the same effect on me as the Alba scene, it was just the bit where Millium flat out stated what was happening that I found a little deflating to the situation.

Psxphile

Been replaying Cold Steel on NIghtmare to finish up on trophies. Currently in Chapter 5: going through
Lohengrin Castle and it only just struck me (cuz I forgot) that there's another mysterious door like the one in the Old Schoolhouse inside. Is there another Knight sleeping within the castle? Is that what Celine and Emma were talking about, hoping that Laura "would notice"?

Can't believe I didn't make the connection before.

A.E Suggs

this.

the truth. i'm glad more people are catching up.

Why, you need an I'm glad I'm not the only person that thinks this way pat on the shoulder? Cause I'm sure there were always plenty of people that agree with you thoughout the topic as a whole. It just seems to me that you are happy other people don't like something that you don't like as if this changes anything.

Still the game being like persona for this version I feel helps the game, it was kinda good for a starting point to those who never played the series so they had to have something that was a draw for those people. I don't really care for the bonding events either, but I don't really hate them either.

Trails in the sky picks up major steam once you leave the first town
When you get your full team yeah, until then its just straight up bordem for like half the game. I almost didn't wanna finish it but people kept telling me I needed it to play SC and so I did and it was great by end game.

Been replaying Cold Steel on NIghtmare to finish up on trophies. Currently in Chapter 5: going through
Lohengrin Castle and it only just struck me (cuz I forgot) that there's another mysterious door like the one in the Old Schoolhouse inside. Is there another Knight sleeping within the castle? Is that what Celine and Emma were talking about, hoping that Laura "would notice"?

I made the connection, but was "afraid" to ask, because I don't want to know until I play it lol!

I made the connection, but was "afraid" to ask, because I don't want to know until I play it lol!

i know the answer of this question but only because i've watched the Cold steel 2 opening ,Yep spoilers

And the connection was obvious the first time i went there for me.

Why, you need an I'm glad I'm not the only person that thinks this way pat on the shoulder? Cause I'm sure there were always plenty of people that agree with you thoughout the topic as a whole. It just seems to me that you are happy other people don't like something that you don't like as if this changes anything.

Still the game being like persona for this version I feel helps the game, it was kinda good for a starting point to those who never played the series so they had to have something that was a draw for those people. I don't really care for the bonding events either, but I don't really hate them either.

When you get your full team yeah, until then its just straight up bordem for like half the game. I almost didn't wanna finish it but people kept telling me I needed it to play SC and so I did and it was great by end game.

You kidding me?

I was beyond hooked the minute you meet Olivier

Nyoro SF

You kidding me?

I was beyond hooked the minute you meet Olivier

Funny moment of FC was when Schera was like "this guy is a civilian, it could be dangerous to take him with this" or something along those lines.

Then you enter battle with him and
he has like 400 EP or something. I don't think he's a civilian, Schera. lol

Thud

Funny moment of FC was when Schera was like "this guy is a civilian, it could be dangerous to take him with this" or something along those lines.

Then you enter battle with him and
he has like 400 EP or something. I don't think he's a civilian, Schera. lol

Haha.

I can see why people would struggle with FC. I know I did on the first run. Returning to it really opened my eyes. Hooked from the start. Probably one of the few RPG's where you look for NPC's and talk to them to further their story.

Top Bottom