• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
A community that rejects half-baked villains doesn't deserve children television's favorite lesbian couple.
tumblr_nep06p9xrV1srphoao2_r1_500.gif

Seems fair

Trey

Is Korrasami powerful enough for a third OT?

We won't make it to a third OT. The finale gave us the bump we needed but that thread took 3 months following an active show to fill.

We'd have to retain a solid amount of the community and have some really compelling rewatches to go through 20000 more posts.

Omikaru

We won't make it to a third OT. The finale gave us the bump we needed but that thread took 3 months following an active show to fill.

We'd have to retain a solid amount of the community and have some really compelling rewatches to go through 20000 more posts.
Don't underestimate the amount of people pissed off about Korrasami. I've never seen so many meltdowns about this show, and I made the Book Two OT.

Arksy

Is this a joke

I love how people project nonsense onto things. Reminds me of those animes where everyone assumes the protagonist and antagonist are secretly gay for each other.

There is zero foreshadowing of any sort of romance between the two. There is zero foreshadowing of either of them being anything but straight.

Astral Dog

Kuvira didnt believe her own bullshit, she cried because she knew deep inside the writters made her just a power hungry psychopath that had lost all her power,and it was either be taked down by the Avatar, or go to prison.

Satch

Banned
I love how people project nonsense onto things. Reminds me of those animes where everyone assumes the protagonist and antagonist are secretly gay for each other.

There is zero foreshadowing of any sort of romance between the two. There is zero foreshadowing of either of them being anything but straight.

listen thot, mike (the writer of the show) posted receipts that they are into each other on his facebook

get into Icon Korrasami

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
why do you need to foreshadow a character's sexuality
she liked men and now she also likes women, is that so hard to comprehend

Daemul

And then he had another chance and fucked it up too, with the same woman, because he didn't bother to tell him that they've broken up.

And then he drove that woman to lesbianism with the women he cheated on.

Mako is a true human being.

Seriously, I remember back when I was watching season 1 and Mako was agonizing about his dual feelings for Asami and Korra, and I was like, "Mako what the fuck are you doing?!". It wasn't an evenly matched choice, it was either be with by far the most beautiful girl in Avatar series history, who also happens to be wealthy as fuck, or get with the loose cannon.

Dude made the wrong choice, now he's been completely forgotten as those same two girls he agonized over have eloped on a journey to the Spirit world. What a fuck up.

what. I guess you literally missed the picture where the writer said you're kidding yourself if you think that wasn't romantic.

There were a few moments that definitely was foreshadowing.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/TheLegendOfKorra

Of course some of those there listed are stretches, but others are no doubt intentional foreshadowing.

Arksy

listen thot, mike (the writer of the show) posted receipts that they are into each other on his facebook

get into Icon Korrasami

If I intend to write a sci-fi, and what I end up writing is a fantasy book...is it still sci-fi?

He should've foreshadowed and woven the storyline through the season and not brought it up in the final shot and be like "LOLOLOL DROPPING THE BOMB" - it's rubbish storytelling if that's what he's intending.

There was stuff peppered throughout s3-4. But now people are saying how well it was written and how fleshed out it was, that's a stretch; even from someone who's been calling it forever.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
If I intend to write a sci-fi, and what I end up writing is a fantasy book...is it still sci-fi?

He should've foreshadowed and woven the storyline through the season and not brought it up in the final shot and be like "LOLOLOL DROPPING THE BOMB" - it's rubbish storytelling if that's what he's intending.

it can be badly written or whatever, but it's canon

Omikaru

Korra and Asami grew more and more affectionate towards each other as Book 3 and 4 rolled on.

The ending was them acknowledging that maybe there's more to their relationship than just friendship, and was the beginning of them exploring that.

And if people are going to get into a harrumph over it not being explicitly stated that they're bisexual before the end, then also accept it wasn't explicitly stated they were exclusively straight either.

Satch

Banned
i hate you

girl, the show has shit writing and has had shit writing for years. the one thing they DID figure out to do was to pepper hints throughout the books that this is where they were going. i mean, the writing of it was still shit, but if you think they hadnt been slowly hinting at it then u are wrong and not paying attention, sis.

Daemul

This Arksy poster is going to make sure this thread reaches 20000 posts before the Community thread is ready, I'm telling ya.

Arksy

Korra and Asami grew more and more affectionate towards each other as Book 3 and 4 rolled on.

The ending was them acknowledging that maybe there's more to their relationship than just friendship, and was the beginning of them exploring that.

And if people are going to get into a harrumph over it not being explicitly stated that they're bisexual before the end, then also accept it wasn't explicitly stated they were exclusively straight either.

No it wasn't, but both of them were involved in heterosexual relationships at one point or another on the show. We can assume, with a good deal of certainty that they are attracted to men. When it comes to any sort of hint that they might be also attracted to women, we come up pretty damn blank.

The hints that people have provided are pretty damn tenuous. The fact that this is at all unclear and people are arguing about it is a testament to how poorly it was handled.

So it seems the deluding of the sole member of KuviraGAF got into the OP, mother of god.

Neverless, the meltdowns are pretty funny. Especially the Makorra ones back in Tumblr, I saw a picture collecting some of them and it was hilarious. I mean, they feel personally betrayed by the way things came to be; not mentioning the actual quality of how the relationship happened (whatever dubious writing it had) but that it had actually ocurred.

PBalfredo

Carrying over from the old thread:

"Safe Return" is incredible and all callbacks to it are very welcome. I love how A:TLA ended on that song starting to play, making you think that the "look into the sunset" scene was the end... only for it to transition into the Cave of Two Lovers theme leading into the kiss. I was a sucker for the Aang/Katara romance too, so its effect was doubled on me.

Yes, this series has done an incredible job of creating memorable themes and then using those themes to great effect give a moment a powerful emotional resonance. The transition of Cave of Two Lovers was perfect for the moment when Aang and Katara's relationship came fully together. And now the callback to Safe Return tried in the grand finale not only to Korra, but to Avatar as well.

-Deimos

i hate you

girl, the show has shit writing and has had shit writing for years. the one thing they DID figure out to do was to pepper hints throughout the books that this is where they were going. i mean, the writing of it was still shit, but if you think they hadnt been slowly hinting at it then u are wrong and not paying attention, sis.

Not really, it wasn't slow at all. There were a handful of random moments that came out of nowhere just like this final scene. In reality Korra and Asami had like no real interaction where they would really start to bond with each other. Bad writing all around.

Trey

Asami* could have been a way better character than she was.

*everyone could have been a way better character than they were.

Cut Kai, Baton Jr., Nuktuk clean out of the show and you already get better by subtraction. Then just fill in that void with more character building stuff.

No it wasn't, but both of them were involved in heterosexual relationships at one point or another on the show. We can assume, with a good deal of certainty that they are attracted to men. When it comes to any sort of hint that they might be also attracted to women, we come up pretty damn blank.

So i'm guessing you missed the link I sent you? There were at least few legit hints that they were interested in each other, and considering they're both female, it'd mean they're interested in females.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Let's deflect everyone from realising how awful Kuvira, Korra, and the season finale was (and all of Book 4 for that matter) by inserting a scene pulled out of Brykes' shipping pandering ass and watch the mayhem unfold. They took a dump on everything ATLA built and are now patting themselves on the back.

Amon>Zaheer>Unaloq>Kuveria

TRUTH HURTS!!!

Amen brother.

Arksy

So i'm guessing you missed the link I sent you? There were at least few legit hints that they were interested in each other, and considering they're both female, it'd mean they're interested in females.

I took a look, but I didn't find anything exceptionally strong. If you disagree, post the moments presented. I'd be happy to talk about them.

aly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra#Ratings

Wow.

Now I see why Bryke don't really "change" even with our criticism.

Critics seem to love it and don't press on the issues we talk about.

Guess we're just a vocal minority that they're ignoring. :/

Critics are terrible. But then again they may just be less critical of animation. Bryke should be happy that people are too busy gushing over how amazing and boundary pushing they are instead of the terrible and shallow writing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
EkVI17D.png

Michael Dante DiMartino is an American animation director best known as the co-creator, executive producer, and story editor of the animated TV series Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, both on Nickelodeon.

There's nothing to discuss.

The hints that people have provided are pretty damn tenuous. The fact that this is at all unclear and people are arguing about it is a testament to how poorly it was handled.

They may write it off as they were actually demisexual (I believe that's the term). But still, I agree that the actual quality of the writing was poor in that aspect. After all, the plausibility of that ending was questioned until the very end, even if in retrospective the hints are there, just badly expressed.

Arksy

Also, is this franchise done with for the foreseeable future? Have the creators given a middle finger to Nickelodeon yet?

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/legend-korra-day-colossus-last-stand-213266

This review made me angry.

So much wrong that I don't agree with.
Why though? I mean I thought the season was a good time, and I'm not about to dissect it and make it boring. That's what makes a show crap is when someone trys to nitpick every little detail. What's wrong with enjoying a season for what it is and moving on? Because surely that's more entertaining then getting upset over people's different opinions and picking out every little flaw there is.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I took a look, but I didn't find anything exceptionally strong. If you disagree, post the moments presented. I'd be happy to talk about them.

korrasami is canon
just look at the post above mine
you can debate how it's badly written
but it's true
enjoy

Satch

Banned
Not really, it wasn't slow at all. There were a handful of random moments that came out of nowhere just like this final scene. In reality Korra and Asami had like no real interaction where they would really start to bond with each other. Bad writing all around.

over the course of book 3 and 4 yes they were hinting at it

stuff like P'Li watching over Zaheer's body when he went into the spirit world... and then they had Asami watch over Korra's body when she went into the spirit world........... and this was analogous to Katara watching over Aang's body when he went into the spirit world

i even mentioned that one back when it happened and nobody was shook by my insight, but now the tea is obvious and hot to yall and it is stale to me now

also, i miss Amon Daddy

This culminates in the season finale, where Asami is fixing up Korra's hair while the latter is wheelchair bound and recovering from her battle with Zaheer. Asami proceeds to take Korra's hand and tell her that she is there for her in case she ever wants to "talk... or anything".

During her time there, Asami, Mako, and Bolin have all been writing to Korra, but Korra only writes back to Asami because she feels the boys just would not understand what she is going through. It may be that Korra simply sees Asami as her closest, most trusted friend, but the subtext is as clear as crystal.

In "Reunion", the restaurant scene is just chock full of this, starting with Asami complimenting Korra's hair (complete with blush from the latter) then the two having to awkwardly admit that Korra actually wrote back to Asami. Even their argument comes across sounding like a lovers' quarrel.
There's this line from Mako, which is borderline Lampshade Hanging on it all:
Mako: What's going on with you two?

Fj0823

get into Icon Korrasami

Lets be absolutely honest. Why wouldn't he?
He knows if if pulls back the Tumblr community would burn him alive. And the implied ending is being called brave and bold despite nothing being there.

The thing is, they failed to provide a story that makes Korra and Asami believable, any non shipper won't see it. That's why most people outside the internet I talked about it, just saw two good friends going to adventure together.

There are a lot of ways to make this work
compliment>bush>lesbian action in spirit world might be enough for some. But not for me.

Naruto and Hinata from Naruto had minimal interactions during 700 chapters, yet at the end, their pairing made sense because those small moments were meaningful.

But I can't help but LOL at all those "critics" that were ripping the show apart and saying "we should have seen X for Y to work" are now completely fine with this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom