• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.gif

You guys thought Unalaq was a better villain...?

Oooookaaaaaaaayyyy.....

So we have cartoon villain vs potato villain. I'll take cartoon villain thanks.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Agreed.

I cannot believe I'm actually going to argue against this but here it goes:

Villain with zero motivation

or

Villain with a tenth of one?

Come on. And you're telling me that giant robot wasn't cartoony enough?

Actually you know what? I hate them both equally. How's that? Amon what would have torn them both a new one.

#equalists #downwithpotatoes

Arksy

I'm writing 1 & 2 off completely. "I'm here if you need anything." Is something friends say to friends all the fucking time. It's a pretty big stretch to assume that something is going on. As for two, I think it's the same thing.

I'll give you three.....but given that everything else is so tenuous it feels like it exists in a vacuum. Friends and relatives make people blush all the time. It's not so uncommon for someone to pay a nice compliment without any sexual subtext whatsoever. So even this scene (which I'm happy to say was foreshadowing) is still a bit ambiguous.

XAL

I still think let's play a game Spike Spiegel and MOTHERFUCKING FLYING HENRY ROLLINS have Kuvira beat. Srsly.

He was already bad but from the moment the words "Dark Avatar" were spoken Unaloq could no longer be anything but the worst.

Worst.

Satch

Banned
not people acting like i think the show is written well when i just said it was trash

yall really dont read... maybe ya eyes dont work and thats why you couldnt see the mess coming

maybe its because i am a bisexual woman so i interpret things differently that would be completely innocuous to straight people because sexuality tends to influence ur worldview
yg4vkya.gif

Why though? I mean I thought the season was a good time, and I'm not about to dissect it and make it boring. That's what makes a show crap is when someone trys to nitpick every little detail. What's wrong with enjoying a season for what it is and moving on? Because surely that's more entertaining then getting upset over people's different opinions and picking out every little flaw there is.

I mean it's alright to find it entertaining and etc etc, but a reviewer/critic should at least acknowledge or even mention major problems about this final season of LoK. The villain(sorry Toa), mangled pacing of Korra's recovery and etc. All of which are tied down by lack of focus, which should have been the inter-connectivity between the Korra and Kuvira. The finale suffered a dearth of emotion and tension as a result.

Agreed.

I cannot believe I'm actually going to argue against this but here it goes:

Villain with zero motivation

or

Villain with a tenth of one?

Come on. And you're telling me that giant robot wasn't cartoony enough?

At least Unalaq's actions lined up with his motives. He wasn't making labor camps because his parents didn't love him.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'll most likely watch all four seasons Korra back-to-back some time in the future. It will probably be more enjoyable now that I know what's going to happen.

I was a bit down that the other Avatar spirits didn't make an appearance :(

Toa TAK

Banned
so this is the side we never saw of the spirit world

Korra is the beta confirmed. Guess that answers the "who would have the baby" question.
At least Unalaq's actions lined up with his motives. He wasn't making labor camps because his parents didn't love him.

You're right. It makes just as much sense as Amon/Noatak blood-bending everyone's bending away for an equal world or something. All because daddy got mad.

-Deimos

over the course of book 3 and 4 yes they were hinting at it

stuff like P'Li watching over Zaheer's body when he went into the spirit world... and then they had Asami watch over Korra's body when she went into the spirit world........... and this was analogous to Katara watching over Aang's body when he went into the spirit world

i even mentioned that one back when it happened and nobody was shook by my insight, but now the tea is obvious and hot to yall and it is stale to me now

also, i miss Amon Daddy

Yeah but those moments were so random. One minute they're regular ole friends, next they're getting wet just looking at each other and then it's back to being friends. It's obvious they never really intended for Korra and Asami to get together up until the very end when people started getting really crazy with the shipping.

Basically the Book 1-3 stuff wasn't romantic at all and was just Bryke's pathetic attempt at giving Asami a bigger role since she was doing jack shit. Then people started getting crazy with the Korrasami shipping because senpai finally noticed her so they decided to drop those random moments in book 4. Then people went fucking nuts so they decided to drop that final scene.

Trey

maybe its because i am a bisexual woman so i interpret things differently that would be completely innocuous to straight people because sexuality tends to influence ur worldview
yg4vkya.gif

I tried to convince you personally but you didn't wanna believe, b.

Also, there's not much to debate about. If you think it's platonic, cool. If you read it to be more than that, that's cool too. I personally enjoy that it doesn't matter whichever one "it is," they both just get to be happy for once.

Nesotenso

I don't remember but did the last air bender have 22 episode seasons? Legend of Korra could have benefited from longer seasons. But it doesn't really help if Nick don't fucking believe in it. It is a tragedy that in western animation developing something with mature themes seems so fucking hard because networks are preoccupied with selling merchandise.

Korra is the beta confirmed. Guess that answers the "who would have the baby" question.

This made me remember. Weren't we going to know who Su's father is? Or did I miss that?

Yeah but those moments were so random. One minute they're regular ole friends, next they're getting wet just looking at each other and then it's back to being friends. It's obvious they never really intended for Korra and Asami to get together up until the very end when people started getting really crazy with the shipping.

She was going to be written off after Book 1, but Bryke decided not to at the end. Her character arc was done, and that's she became the engineer of the group from Book 2 onwards. That is my problem with the Hiroshi ordeal at the end, that was something that should have developed since the aftermath of the Equalist movement.

aly

My mom finally watched the finale. She did'nt see the romance aspect either. But she was also still rooting for Bolin and that was over at season 1.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

i've always believe it was the other way, but i guess korra drove carefully and asami liked to go the gta-way

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
not people acting like i think the show is written well when i just said it was trash

yall really dont read... maybe ya eyes dont work and thats why you couldnt see the mess coming

yg4vkya.gif

It's hard for some people to realize that girls can like other girls. I believe that's why people are being so obtuse. If all the stuff that happened between Korra and Asami was between Mako and Korra, no one would bat an eye.

But even if these girls kissed, there would still be comments about how great of friends they are.

Toa TAK

Banned
This made me remember. Weren't we going to know who Su's father is? Or did I miss that?
No you're right. We didn't get that question answered in the show.
i've always believe it was the other way, but i guess korra drove carefully and asami liked to go the gta-way

I think everyone assumed the same, but I knew there was something up with Asami.

You gotta be the alpha male to run a CEO (even if it's Yahoo).

You're right. It makes just as much sense as Amon/Noatak blood-bending everyone's bending away for an equal world or something. All because daddy got mad.
I actually think Amon was less of a hypocrite than Kuvira. At least Amon apparently though bending was the source evil and wanted equality while Kuvira just said "I want a united and peaceful kingdom" and then proceeded to lock up half the population in camps.

I'm writing 1 & 2 off completely. "I'm here if you need anything." Is something friends say to friends all the fucking time. It's a pretty big stretch to assume that something is going on. As for two, I think it's the same thing.

I'll give you three.....but given that everything else is so tenuous it feels like it exists in a vacuum.

It was obviously a bit of foreshadowing looking back at it, considering how things played it by the end. She's all like "If you ever want to talk.... or anything." If it were a guy holding her hand and saying that it would have been obvious to everyone.

Also, Asami being the only one she wrote to was more hinting. It definitely showed that she had the strongest connection with Asami out of all her other friends. It's not an explicit sign that she actually "liked" her, but I think in hindsight I can look back on that and say it was probably used as way to show how close they were to in turn further justify Korrasami IMO but I could see why someone wouldn't think so.

Toa TAK

Banned
I actually think Amon was less of a hypocrite than Kuvira. At least Amon apparently though bending was the source evil and wanted equality while Kuvira just said "I want a united and peaceful kingdom" and then proceeded to lock up half the population in camps.

Eh, it happens. No nation is perfect when being built.

XAL

The fact that this scene, is entire validation for a relationship for some people is just terrible.

The problem is not the final scene, that's for sure.

That and Korra not writing anyone except her when she was at her lowest point in her life.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
So I rewatched that dinner scene in Reunion and it's pretty obvious the writters at least tried to do something. First off, Korra and Asami hug for a longer period of time than Korra and Mako. Korra blushes because Asami compliments her, while completely shutting down any advances Wu makes on her and being like "eh" on Mako. And the rest of the dinner before they go to rescue Wu is spent on Asami and Korra having a little lover's spat while Mako goes like "hmmm" on the sidelines.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The fact that this scene, is entire validation for a relationship for some people is just terrible.

The problem is not the final scene, that's for sure.
It isn't validation, it's just one example. The co-creator/executive producer/story editor posting an article that states the relationship was more than just friendship is.

Arksy

It was obviously a bit of foreshadowing looking back at it, considering how things played it by the end. She's all like "If you ever want to talk.... or anything." If it were a guy holding her hand and saying that it would have been obvious to everyone.

Also, Asami being the only one she wrote to was more hinting. It definitely showed that she had the strongest connection with Asami out of all her other friends. It's not an explicit sign that she actually "liked" her, but I think in hindsight I can look back on that and say it was probably used as way to show how close they were to in turn further justify Korrasami IMO but I could see why someone wouldn't think so.

Yeah with the hindsight of the last scene and the director going "LOL THIS IS WHAT WE WANTED!!"

If that's what they wanted, I feel like they could've handled it so much better. They should've definitely hinted at it a bit stronger in the clips episode. That way it wasn't just a waste of 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom