• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

rhandino

Banned
After all that, you're just now discovering a village???? Wow!! :O How is this even possible???

Edit: I assume you mean you randomly stumbled across a village you didn't even know existed.
I bet my korok seeds that it was
Lurelin Village.
I am kind of amazed at how many people were in meltdown mode during E3 saying that the game had no npc's, villages and that they were showing too much.

hihihihi

GRW810

I accidentally stumbled into F
orgotten
T
emple

What an adrenaline rush. Holy moly, one of the greatest moments of this game.
I spent a good 45 minutes in there deploying tactics which ranged from close combat to parrying to cowardly chucking bombs and firing arrows from cover.

It was an excellent part of the game that I could easily have walked right past. Other games might have steered you towards it and emphasised it as a big, important 'level'.

I'm consistently pleased with the minor NPCs in this game. I love how a random shop owner has a backstory of getting separated from her husband because he spent too much time with cucuos. And a guy whose wife passed away but his kids are convinced that she's just on a trip and coming back some day... I have to say that honestly, some of these characters are more compelling than the main story itself.

Kaiken

Banned
Lurelin Village.
I am kind of amazed at how many people were in meltdown mode during E3 saying that the game had no npc's, villages and that they were showing too much.

hihihihi

That's the one. I think I'm finally done with the game for now until the DLC drops. What a greatly fulfilling purchase.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm pretty sure I've explored most of Hyrule Castle at this point but I still can't find
the Hylian Shield
. Where the crap is it?

It also kind of sucks that I can sometimes pull rusted equipment from what look like important places,
restore them with an Octorok (is there a vacuum Octorok outside the lava area? It always freaks me out when I clean weapons there, because they sometimes get spit into lava right after) only to have them turn out to be some shitty 7 block shield.

I'm pretty sure I've explored most of Hyrule Castle at this point but I still can't find
the Hylian Shield
. Where the crap is it?

It also kind of sucks that I can sometimes pull rusted equipment from what look like important places,
restore them with an Octorok (is there a vacuum Octorok outside the lava area? It always freaks me out when I clean weapons there, because they sometimes get spit into lava right after) only to have them turn out to be some shitty 7 block shield.
Check in the
prison cells underground

Pinky

Banned
Lurelin Village.

hihihihi

That's what I'm thinking as well because that's the same village I unintentionally stumbled upon. I was just exploring and came across a shrine up the hill. Before I entered, I paused because I heard
peaceful, tropical music playing in the distance. I was like "Where's that coming from???" I looked down to the coast and BAM... a freaking village! One of my favorites too. A beautiful little place right on the coast. So peaceful. I could totally vacation there.

Koren

It feels like the first Zelda game to take full advantage of the 3D free camera perspective. It breaks completely from what is even possible in the 2D games. Formerly you'd have map chunks with a minimap and clear, intended portals for ingress and egress. This model was shared between every previous Zelda game, regardless of where it placed the camera.
I'd argue that Wind Waker broke the portal rules, and did a lot to create a sense of really free travel, even if the far weaker hardware meant that they needed the empty patchs of water between places to limit the amount of geometry you need to handle.

In fact, I'm sure that they wanted to get rid of those portals, and that's the very reason Wind Waker is on a giant ocean.

Koren

Speaking of that. Had anyone had any luck with the gambling
?
What do you mean by
"luck"
? Unless I'm mistaken, I got
the higher price on my first try but after checking the payout was as low as in previous game, I didn't care... There's places where you can get 300 almost all the time for 20

Nictel

I heard that you can abuse it via save and load,
haven't tried it by myself tho

Hmm
I find save scumming such a boring hassle.
I know it can be very effective in some games but the constant loading is too much for me

What do you mean by
"luck"
? Unless I'm mistaken, I got
the higher price on my first try but after checking the payout was as low as in previous game, I didn't care... There's places where you can get 300 almost all the time for 20

I got 1 rupee all the time :-(. I expect the prizes to be exponential but if it is 3* your bet it ain't worth it imo

Forkball

I realized last night that I had barely explored Central Hyrule, mistakenly believing it was just a boring grass field. There's still a handful of neat things to find in this area!
Yeah a lot of my final shrines are in this general area. I'm having a nasty run of combat shrines.

I have two more shrines, and I'm saving Eventide for last. I have zero clue where this other shrine is, so if anyone wants to take a wild guess please feel free.

I have done three out four Divine Beasts, still have a ton left to do but am thinking of going for Ganon next weekend.

The game is great and all, but I'm getting antsy to play something else in the next few weeks.

Whenever a Yiga member attacks me, I always kill them with an ancient arrow. I don't know why, but they're the only enemies that I want dead "permanently" in my mind, sucked into a vortex.

Yeah a lot of my final shrines are in this general area. I'm having a nasty run of combat shrines.

I have two more shrines, and I'm saving Eventide for last. I have zero clue where this other shrine is, so if anyone wants to take a wild guess please feel free.

Do you have the one in
Hyrule Castle
?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if I leave
hyrule castle
to go hand in this memory quest (just got the last) will all the enemie respawn? Or can I just hand it in
after Ganon, I dont know how post game works.

Wow that 'hidden village' was the second one I found in game (which meant I did Eventide very early with 3 hearts and non-maxed stamina,) the way we all have different journeys is so cool.
I'm 3 beasts down and on my way to Zora's Domain and just beginning to break my blackout (hi!) and read other people's experiences.
The Gerudo beast was my first but I've noticed many did it last. The non-linear structure for this game was a master stroke.

Nictel

Whenever a Yiga member attacks me, I always kill them with an ancient arrow. I don't know why, but they're the only enemies that I want dead "permanently" in my mind, sucked into a vortex.

Hmm not such a bad idea for the next one that interrupts my bug hunting. Such a nuisance.

Koren

I got 1 rupee all the time :-(. I expect the prizes to be exponential but if it is 3* your bet it ain't worth it imo
Unless I'm mistaken, it is
(he told me I won, and it's the payout of past games, too). I don't think it worth the time.

And you can't cheat, as far as I know. When I discovered you could cheat in OoT... my mind was blown ;)

if I leave
hyrule castle
to go hand in this memory quest (just got the last) will all the enemie respawn? Or can I just hand it in
after Ganon, I dont know how post game works.

After beating the game, you can play again from your last save, which will now have a star attached to it. The only difference is that you can now see how much of the map you've cleared so far. Enemies respawn after a Blood Moon... though I recommend just handing in the last memory now to get the full ending

LiK

T
hunderblight Ganon
was the hardest goddamn boss by far. I actually had to get my shit together to beat him.
I didn't have any wooden shields so that sucked too. The 3rd phase was a bitch.
Took some retries but I ended up beating him. Jesus Christ.

Just beat the second divine beast, so now I'm trying to figure out how to get up this Gerudo tower coz it's windy.

I've had this, Uncharted, The Last Guardian and Killzone on rotation lately, but there's just something about Zelda. Makes me forget about the others whenever I'm in it.

Someone took a lot of care crafting all of the sight-lines. Almost every pass or trail has an exquisite line of sight towards a major point of interest. It's just amazing.

I was thinking about this the other day and considering how Korok Seeds influenced the world design. You can often see the puzzles from very far away. For instance the 3 tree puzzles are usually on a hilltop. Was that hilltop always there? Did they have to embellish it to make sure the puzzle would stick out? Did they completely add a whole new hill?

It seems with 900 of them you'd just plop them down at random because it would require too much time to design an area around them. But here always had to be a consideration for what kind of puzzle could be where. And sight lines had to factor into that. The circle of rocks are usually in spots you'd glide over or see from on high.

I'd love to hear the developers discuss their integration.

AbaFadi

Banned
Didn't get a response the first time, but I'll try again. Has anyone else noticed that when opening the map while you are moving Link with the left control stick that the cursor does not move unless you lift your finger off the control stick? Similar thing happened while I was ZL targeting an enemy and accessed my inventory. Is this normal?

vareon

Lurelin Village.

hihihihi

I remember at E3 last year Aonuma didn't show villages because "the villages are interconnected with the story and overall world".

Well apparently they're just villages lol. I wonder if they were just not ready for showing or Aonuma really didn't want us to look at the villages back then.

I accidentally stumbled into F
orgotten
T
emple

What an adrenaline rush. Holy moly, one of the greatest moments of this game.

Haha same here yesterday.

I made it through and activated the shrine, now I use it to farm guardian parts after a blood moon.

I remember at E3 last year Aonuma didn't show villages because "the villages are interconnected with the story and overall world".

Well apparently they're just villages lol. I wonder if they were just not ready for showing or Aonuma really didn't want us to look at the villages back then.
There are no villages on the Great Plateau, which is where all the demos (or nearly all) took place. That's why they weren't shown.

They didn't want to show us much of anything outside the plateau.

Forkball

Mother of God. 118th shrine: discovery of Riverside Stable. 119th shrine: discovery of South Akkala Stable. Akkala Tower was like the second one I activated and I completely missed this one. I remember there was a huge thunderstorm when I got to the top and probably couldn't see it.

I expect the final battle to take place in a stable now.

En-ou

This is pretty much how I feel although I'd still put it ahead of Wind Waker and OoT. The whole "see that mountain, you can go there" thing sounds great in theory but when the payoff for getting there is almost always underwhelming and expected it's hard to really care. That might be ok if the journey there was something special but the game doesn't play well enough to be all that exciting when you run into the same stuff again and again.

The game never peaks and never really becomes more than the sum of its parts. Despite all the attention to detail and nuances the core of the game just feels hollow. This feeling is everywhere from the lackluster dungeons and bosses, rewards, the music, and the climax, if you can even call it that.

For all the talk of freedom and no hand-holding I've never felt more restricted. You want to use those gear and and weapons? Screw you, lightning storm, excessive repair fees, etc. Trying to grab that korok seed up there? lol, it's raining and how about some constant interruptions from instantly appearing enemies too. Want to upgrade a whole bunch of gear? nah, arbitrary restriction on how many things you can upgrade at once.

The game is too determined for me to operate under it's own guidelines that only serve a function early on. I've already beat the game let me just play how I like.

For me BotW is like a sports car. It's looks great sitting in the garage but when it comes to everyday use in the city, the insurance, the maintenance, etc. it's just more aggravation than anything else.

It's a fine shell of a game but I think the late removal of the gamepad and the copy-paste approach to trying to fill such a huge world really hurt it.

Most of your complaints equate to 'the gameplay doesn't suit you'. You need good helpings of patience and a brain to play this game. It's not the game.

Didn't get a response the first time, but I'll try again. Has anyone else noticed that when opening the map while you are moving Link with the left control stick that the cursor does not move unless you lift your finger off the control stick? Similar thing happened while I was ZL targeting an enemy and accessed my inventory. Is this normal?

Yeah, that's normal. I have this weird issue with my Pro controller that if I start the game on the gamepad and then switch to the Pro controller, the left stick drifts. It does the same thing in the menus.

Yeah I remember that spawning a lot of discussion about potential time travel, or resurrecting villages or some such.

Aonuma just being coy though

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
After beating the game, you can play again from your last save, which will now have a star attached to it. The only difference is that you can now see how much of the map you've cleared so far. Enemies respawn after a Blood Moon... though I recommend just handing in the last memory now to get the full ending

is there a shrine inside that I can port back to? this shit is shockingly big ;_;

Haha same here yesterday.

I made it through and activated the shrine, now I use it to farm guardian parts after a blood moon.

I never realized this was a difficult area until I went on here, since I coincidentally entered the place while handgliding and caught all the updrafts in there without ever having to stop until I reached the end... Was still good fun, though :D

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
T
hunderblight Ganon
was the hardest goddamn boss by far. I actually had to get my shit together to beat him.
I didn't have any wooden shields so that sucked too. The 3rd phase was a bitch.
Took some retries but I ended up beating him. Jesus Christ.

Yeah. On my try last night I had all going pretty decently (after I wasted all my arrows before noticing what needs to be done for the second phase) and when the third phase started it just kicked my ass. I rage quit at 2 in the morning. Luckily I got my shit together this morning. Fuck
Thunderblight teleporting right to you
though.

giapel

I was thinking about this the other day and considering how Korok Seeds influenced the world design. You can often see the puzzles from very far away. For instance the 3 tree puzzles are usually on a hilltop. Was that hilltop always there? Did they have to embellish it to make sure the puzzle would stick out? Did they completely add a whole new hill?

It seems with 900 of them you'd just plop them down at random because it would require too much time to design an area around them. But here always had to be a consideration for what kind of puzzle could be where. And sight lines had to factor into that. The circle of rocks are usually in spots you'd glide over or see from on high.

I'd love to hear the developers discuss their integration.
Whatever their design process was, you can tell that the game wasn't made in a Ubisoft factory. Despite the vastness, there's a lot of order and logic (mostly videogamey) in the world

Futureman

Someone took a lot of care crafting all of the sight-lines. Almost every pass or trail has an exquisite line of sight towards a major point of interest. It's just amazing.

This is one of the best parts of the game to me. It's such a phenomenal feeling seeing so much interesting stuff no matter where you are and knowing you can get there and explore. The way Nintendo set the world up is just amazing.

Top Bottom