• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jokkir

Question regarding shrines:

I am trying to complete the game without looking up any guides or walkthroughs, so I don't want to just look things up, but are there any hints or tricks for finding hidden shrines? There are a few areas that I have been over with a fine toothed comb because my tracker is pinging and I just can't seem to find anything.

Try using the stasis or magnet runes since it's sometimes under stuff. Hidden shrines or Shrine quests, it'll have some sort of clue on how to get there.

I am trying to complete the game without looking up any guides or walkthroughs, so I don't want to just look things up, but are there any hints or tricks for finding hidden shrines? There are a few areas that I have been over with a fine toothed comb because my tracker is pinging and I just can't seem to find anything.

I believe sometimes you can see a flock of birds circling over a shrine. Though I think this occurs with shrines you've already completed too.

But I do remember one specific shrine where I had the same problem as you, and all I can say is that there are a fair amount of shrines underground/in caves.

We've talked about this a little before. The total lack of caves really stands out to me too. I hate that there are no hidden caves or caverns full of secrets. For a game that's built around natural terrain and structures, there is nothing more obviously missing than natural interiors like caves and tunnels. You'll notice that, except for Hyrule Castle, there are virtually no interior spaces whatsoever. Even the Divine Beasts are open air. The game just doesn't want to contain you by design. I get that. But the thrill and wonder of Hyrule Castle demonstrates how incredible these contrasting locations can be.

Yes there are. There aren't a ton of them, and they aren't huge, but they exist.

xviper

once i enter hyrule castle, is it recommended to have the ancient armor set ??

i finished the divine beast and i have about 15 shrines left, after i do them i'll go fight gannon

jariw

I haven't found all shrines yet, but there was one specific shrine (
in Hebra
) where the pinging actually worked "against" me finding the shrine. I had to think the opposite way to be able to find it.

I accidentally stumbled into F
orgotten
T
emple

What an adrenaline rush. Holy moly, one of the greatest moments of this game.

Crayolan

Look at your map and look for named areas in which you haven't found a shrine or something else significant nearby.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd consider most of that world design which I don't think took a hit, and I don't think the south west content is any weaker than the rest which is what I'd consider the Eighth Heroine. The Rito main quest was underdeveloped, as too their city and NPCs, especially after Gerudo. And the actual shrine content, the inside puzzles, I thought they were significantly weaker than the rest of the game's and in a lot of cases felt more like mini games than puzzles.

Why would shrines be worse in certain locations though? Most are completely separate from the location and the devs could have developed them in isolation before randomly scattering them in their desired locations?

What are your thoughts on the dungeon music?

Personally I think they are amazing. My favorite one is Vah Rudania, because it sounds so catchy and traditional. But every single one of them is just outstanding.

Takat

I haven't found all shrines yet, but there was one specific shrine (
in Hebra
) where the pinging actually worked "against" me finding the shrine. I had to think the opposite way to be able to find it.
Yeah, if I'm thinking of the same one, it kept pinging on the
north
side, and I kept telling myself I should try the other side... After a few hours on the
north
side I gave up and found it where I kind of assumed it was...

Yes there are. There aren't a ton of them, and they aren't huge, but they exist.

They are precious few and not exactly what I'm looking for. One room little alcoves don't inspire the same sense of intrigue.

I really loved the shrine
behind the waterfall.
. I would have liked a dozen more things like that.

They are precious few and not exactly what I'm looking for. One room little alcoves don't inspire the same sense of intrigue.

I really loved the shrine
behind the waterfall.
. I would have liked a dozen more things like that.

I can actually think of two such shrines and a couple other little caves with chests
behind waterfalls
but I do fully agree that this game would have benefited greatly from some more expanded cave-like interiors. Not on the level of Blackreach from Skyrim, but something that lets you pass through a mountain without actually climbing it if you want.

AGoodODST

Well finally 100% done (well not the seeds because fuck that).

The of the Wild set is neat, but the shorts look super goofy. Looks much better with the hylian trousers.

I've put in 40 hours into the game and I still don't know how to shield surf. Do they ever teach you how to do it?

Also, I found the
Master Sword
. Does the game give you hints to the location of the other stuff (
i.e. Hyrule Shield, Epona, Tunic
)? I dont want to look at the guide if I don't have to. Just want to know how difficult is it to find on my own.

DrArchon

Well finally 100% done (well not the seeds because fuck that).

The of the Wild set is neat, but the shorts look super goofy. Looks much better with the hylian trousers.

I've been rocking
Cap of the Wild dyed light blue, Champion's Tunic, Hylian Trousers. The light blue doesn't match the tunic's blue 1:1, but it still looks nice.

Also,
I'm quite disappointed in the set bonus from the Wild outfit. Does it even do anything? It says it boosts your Master Sword sword beams, but they still only do 15 damage when not glowing and 30 when powered up. I was hoping for the Wild set to be the ULTIMATE set, with full cold and heat res, climbing speed up, etc.

You must have barely explored and avoided Shrine quests.

The fact you decided to finish the game after just 55 hours contradicts your claim you looked everywhere, because some of us are still discovering locations after 100+ hours.

Why rush? Savour this game, people.

I don't have 100 hours to put into a game. 55 still ranks it in my top 5 most played games ever.

And obviously I didn't look everywhere, I just meant that I spent a good several hours the other day exploring places and wasn't able to find anymore shrines.

The good thing is: You have still so much cool things to find! Provided you're still motivated to keep playing the game. :)

As a hint for exploring, if you're really unsure what you haven't seen yet: Inspect the map closely. I've found tons of thing just by looking at the map. A small pond with a peculiar shape? A lonely island somewhere out on the sea? Some strangely shaped structures in the mountains?

Exploring towards these POIs and not getting sidetracked too hard shows so much of the game world.

Thanks for the tip. I'm done with the it for now but I imagine I'll pick it up for my Switch eventually and maybe start a new game. I'll keep these things in mind :)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So many interesting things get mentioned in here. Think it's time for me to start looking up some of these locations I haven't found. I'm over 70 hours in and long since beat the game, got the memories etc. I've been just exploring parts of the map where I hadn't found shrines yet and that's been a mixed bag for me as I find a bunch of stuff in a few places, but end up bored (as the world and exploration angle long since wore off for me) and finding little in long stretches.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm thinking about finishing up my last Divine Beast and beating the game but I'm afraid that I'm going to miss something. 80ish hours in ha.

Are the three giant m
aze
s
hrines
on the map worth seeking out beforehand? Haven't done any of those yet. 70 shrines in though.

I'm at the point where I don't have to fear Guardian's anymore... so I rolled up to the F
orgotten
T
emple
and cleared it all out.
Sooooo satisfying!

Edit:
orgotten
T
emple

Heh, imagine how badass you'll feel when you can go back and don't have to run :)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I finished the game last night and thought it was pretty funny when the game told me I was at like 21% completion. Got all memories and Divine Beasts, but I'm only at like 70 shrines or so.

I was storming Hyrule Castle with the intention to finish the game, but almost accidentally skipped the entire level by climbing the tower above Zelda's room and just floating straight to the last boss room from there. It looked like a boss room but I was like "okay, you can't just walk away after seeing this" so I decided to finish things even though I hadn't explored the castle.

The final fight was a bit underwhelming but it looked cool in terms of scale and music. Kinda disappointed the final form of Ganon didn't do more to attack me.

It also sucked that clearing all the divine beasts only served to halve Ganon's health. Dude, I could have done that a lot faster with an attack food.

I thought I was going ot put down the game and stop afterwards, but I just loaded right back in to explore the rest of Hyrule Castle and check out the many places I didn't do.

Really enjoyed this game, and I'm looking to check out the places I missed. There's a whole map area that I haven't unlocked yet.

DrArchon

I'm thinking about finishing up my last Divine Beast and beating the game but I'm afraid that I'm going to miss something. 80ish hours in ha.

Are the three giant m
aze
s
hrines
on the map worth seeking out beforehand? Haven't done any of those yet. 70 shrines in though.

Absolutely. They're quite fun and have some great rewards.

I've put in 40 hours into the game and I still don't know how to shield surf. Do they ever teach you how to do it?

It's mentioned on the great plateau. And I think it can probably be found in the menu somewhere after that. Or you can just click on this spoiler tag and find out
Raise shield, jump, press a while in the air

Also, I found the
Master Sword
. Does the game give you hints to the location of the other stuff (
i.e. Hyrule Shield, Epona, Tunic
)? I dont want to look at the guide if I don't have to. Just want to know how difficult is it to find on my own.

Hyrule shield I stumbled upon, and you can definitely miss it. Epona you can only get with an amiibo. And if by Tunic, you mean the traditional green garb, that is also locked behind an amiibo. The blue shirt seen in the trailers, that you get just by doing some of the story missions.

Edit: I'm wrong about the tunic.

orgotten
T
emple

Almost threw my controller when all those lasers lit up and started beeping at the same time. Wasnt expecting that at all lol

It's great, isn't it?

"Huh, what's this? Wow, it's huge! Oh, it's full of---oh fuck this shit."

Yes, simply amazing. I even manage to
glide through the place
without dying once.

I'm at the point where I don't have to fear Guardian's anymore... so I rolled up to the F
orgotten
T
emple
and cleared it all out.
Sooooo satisfying!

Edit:

Heh, imagine how badass you'll feel when you can go back and don't have to run :)

I didn't run! I was so scared and time my
gliding to evade all those laser
. Freaking amazing.

Almost threw my controller when all those lasers lit up and started beeping at the same time. Wasnt expecting that at all lol

Haha. I just jump without noticing
all those Guardians
. I was scared as shit.

I finished the game last night and thought it was pretty funny when the game told me I was at like 21% completion. Got all memories and Divine Beasts, but I'm only at like 70 shrines or so.

I was storming Hyrule Castle with the intention to finish the game, but almost accidentally skipped the entire level by climbing the tower above Zelda's room and just floating straight to the last boss room from there. It looked like a boss room but I was like "okay, you can't just walk away after seeing this" so I decided to finish things even though I hadn't explored the castle.

The final fight was a bit underwhelming but it looked cool in terms of scale and music. Kinda disappointed the final form of Ganon didn't do more to attack me.

It also sucked that clearing all the divine beasts only served to halve Ganon's health. Dude, I could have done that a lot faster with an attack food.

I thought I was going ot put down the game and stop afterwards, but I just loaded right back in to explore the rest of Hyrule Castle and check out the many places I didn't do.

Really enjoyed this game, and I'm looking to check out the places I missed. There's a whole map area that I haven't unlocked yet.

Apparently doing all of the
Divine beasts
has the added effect of preventing
the -blight Ganon's from appearing at the boss first before you can even attempt Calamity Ganon.
So it's not just that they
halve his life bar, they let you skip basically a boss-rush mode.
Or so I've heard, I haven't watched it or done it myself yet.

It's mentioned on the great plateau. And I think it can probably be found in the menu somewhere after that. Or you can just click on this spoiler tag and find out
Raise shield, jump, press a while in the air

Hyrule shield I stumbled upon, and you can definitely miss it. Epona you can only get with an amiibo. And if by Tunic, you mean the traditional green garb, that is also locked behind an amiibo. The blue shirt seen in the trailers, that you get just by doing some of the story missions.

Actually
the Tunic of the Wild you can get by completing all 120 shrines

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Apparently doing all of the
Divine beasts
has the added effect of preventing
the -blight Ganon's from appearing at the boss first before you can even attempt Calamity Ganon.
So it's not just that they
halve his life bar, they let you skip basically a boss-rush mode.
Or so I've heard, I haven't watched it or done it myself yet.
Oh?
I actually would have enjoyed that. That's pretty cool.

Part of my fun in the game is just going around looking for a fight lol.

CassSept

I do not suggest going to Hyrule castle if you haven't gotten a blood moon in a while. Bringing back any guardian/beamos that you took down as you're there sucks.

Yeah, that's what happened to me.
I've cleared out the majority of guardians and turrets outside as well as two lynels and while I was traveling through Hyrule Castle interior blood moon happened. Every single thing I worked so hard to clear out respawned before I could leisurely explore all nooks and crannies. Really hurt and I ultimately just rushed with Revali's gale towards final boss after grabbing Hylian Shield without killing anything.

Still, Hyrule Castle is fantastic, exploring it felt great, it's the highlight of the game and it's a shame there weren't more open dungeon-esque locations in the game. Simply exploring the abandoned place, filled with monsters, tons of great loot and a boss tucked away that protected the main item. Felt like what this game should have been more like.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man
Garon
divine beast was super disapointing, by far the worst one, and easily the most simplistic (and easiest). Dunno how people can say
Rito
is the worst after that.

Anyway thats all 4 down, time to wrap this badboy up.

haha wow, PETA going after the milking minigame in 1-2 Switch
someone should show them what you can do to animals in Zelda, the meltdown would be fascinating

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't post into OTs that much (except for Xenoblade X, but that was like a small community discovering Mira together) and I stayed out of BotW's OT as I felt that my rhythm is much slower than average (going by twitter posts) and the spoilers on Twitter were already enough, but I felt the need to post now out of frustration.

Because I hate the fact that crouch is done by clicking on the left stick and that while on crouch several actions are blocked. I go on crouch too much during the heat of the battle when I try to move around and that fucked me more than once. I want customisable controls ffs.

Also fuck
Thunderblight Ganon
from the Divine Beast
Naboris
I had no fun fighting you. Just pure, unaltered anger. Which made me not abandon it although I wanted to several times. Especially when trying to get the shield out of the crouch position I ended up because of the left stick willingness to be clicked at all times. (or my panic:p)

Rito
and its divine beast was my favourite so far.

So I ran into the Beedle yesterday and he gave me a free
arrow that's supposed to do a lot of damage to guardians
. Is that the best way to beat them? The only one I've beaten I just kinda followed a pattern of arrow, slash with sword rinse and repeat. But I have a feeling that might have been a pretty easy one?

the reward of "once I beat the leader, I don't have to fight these guys anymore"

The only redeeming facet of having them all attack you all the time, even after beating him, is seeing all the funny dialogue when you talk to "travelers" on the road. Plus free weapons basically all the time.

So I ran into the Beedle yesterday and he gave me a free
arrow that's supposed to do a lot of damage to guardians
. Is that the best way to beat them? The only one I've beaten I just kinda followed a pattern of arrow, slash with sword rinse and repeat. But I have a feeling that might have been a pretty easy one?

It's one of the easiest ways to beat them, yes, but those are hard to come by and very expensive once you find a place to "buy" them. You can also
chop off their legs one by one
with a 2 handed sword (or guardian weapon), which makes beating them fairly easy.

Kaiken

Banned
Over a 100 hours of playtime in, already beat the game, all memories acquired, all Divine Beasts completed, Master Sword in hand and armor maxed out. I'm out hunting the last of the Shrines and I discovered a village for the first time. Not a stable, an entire damn Village.

I did a very bad thing and now I own all the Zelda amiibo. They should be waiting for me when I get home today.

This game made me do some crazy shit.

Pinky

Banned
Over a 100 hours of playtime in, already beat the game, all memories acquired, all Divine Beasts completed, Master Sword in hand and armor maxed out. I'm out hunting the last of the Shrines and I discovered a village for the first time. Not a stable, an entire damn Village.

After all that, you're just now discovering a village???? Wow!! :O How is this even possible???

Edit: I assume you mean you randomly stumbled across a village you didn't even know existed.

Futureman

Just a random thought.... I don't think this has ever happened with any other game for me, but multiple times I've been exploring the world and just stopped and thought, "Holy shit this world is so amazing and beautiful, what a game!"

Everything about this game is just so beautiful and perfect to me.

JaseMath

Does anyone know where I can get a wallpaper of JUST the Sheikah patten? What I'm talking about is this—namely, the background.

6Jjn9fZl.png

I would love this as a desktop.

Bog

Junior Ace

Same thing happened to me. I'm assuming you're talking the one in the south east.

The only redeeming facet of having them all attack you all the time, even after beating him, is seeing all the funny dialogue when you talk to "travelers" on the road. Plus free weapons basically all the time.

It's one of the easiest ways to beat them, yes, but those are hard to come by and very expensive once you find a place to "buy" them. You can also
chop off their legs one by one
with a 2 handed sword (or guardian weapon), which makes beating them fairly easy.

Omg. How did I just put together now that guardian weapons might be named that way for a specific purpose/reason. Good to know, thanks!

jariw

There's a NPC at a small hill at a road (not at a stable) in central Hyrule that I know teaches it. You can also buy shields nearby there. Don't remember if it's taught in Hebra or not.

the reward of "once I beat the leader, I don't have to fight these guys anymore"

The game scale in the other direction. The more you fight, the more harder enemies you'll get. But the weapons scale at as well, so it doesn't matter that much IMO.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Are the three giant m
aze
s
hrines

There is some nice stuff in those.

Pinky

Banned
Just a random thought.... I don't think this has ever happened with any other game for me, but multiple times I've been exploring the world and just stopped and thought, "Holy shit this world is so amazing and beautiful, what a game!"

Everything about this game is just so beautiful and perfect to me.

Same here. Sometimes, I'll just stop in my tracks and take in the beauty and atmosphere. I love taking pics of the scenery. I find the most beautiful shots come from high atop the mountains with the beautiful sunrises/sunsets.

I scaled up the side basically to Ganon (but warped away) so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Lol, well yes you can do that as well and the freedom to do so is great but I never found skipping content as fun. I always want to see everything a game has to offer.

Red

Someone took a lot of care crafting all of the sight-lines. Almost every pass or trail has an exquisite line of sight towards a major point of interest. It's just amazing.
It feels like the first Zelda game to take full advantage of the 3D free camera perspective. It breaks completely from what is even possible in the 2D games. Formerly you'd have map chunks with a minimap and clear, intended portals for ingress and egress. This model was shared between every previous Zelda game, regardless of where it placed the camera. Now you see the world, which is a far different experience. It's the first time Nintendo has crafted a Zelda experience that feels completely unique to the 3D perspective.

Top Bottom