• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Rodin

Over 130 hours in and almost done. Probably going to tackle the final boss today and beat it. Then rap up the few shrines I have left to find. I feel reviewers having to stop after 40 or so hours to write the reviews helped the scores. The imagination of what else you will find in the world is better than what is actually in most of the world that is outside the main quest. The more I explored the non essential areas the less I liked this game. Which is the opposite of most every other zelda game because I have 100% all of them and loved doing so.

This is my least favorite 3D zelda. I see why its praised, the game is still fantastic but I dont see why it should be anointed best zelda in years. It went to far into the open direction and lost a lot of what made this franchise special.
Funniest thing is that the content of the overworld is way the fuck better than in any other Zelda (actually, any other open world) despite the game having MUCH more of it. Most of the time i was in awe about what they hid in the world, and even those few times that the reward wasn't exceptional, the journey itself was. 105 hours in and with 32 shrines to find i have yet to experience boredom and i don't think it will ever happen because the overworld design, traversal options and content are just too fucking good.

And what you said about reviewers' playtime is simply false.

rhandino

Banned
Over 255 hrs here, I don't remember last time I played a game that much.
My very own
shameful
receipts:

DchyECS.jpg

Last time I played this much a single game was XenobladeX

EDIT: Oh, and I still both the game from time to time to take a picture or 2 to complete the compendium or farming the dragons and upgrade my
Set of the Wild

Futureman

The "Making of" videos that Nintendo released... there are 4 right? Gonna watch those now.

I think I read there are no major spoilers?

Mediking

I have no shame in looking up a solution for some of the very blatant trolling and vague as heck puzzles in the game.

Not

Banned
I've had time to play more often! Made it to
Goron City
and
right about to rescue the young Goron guy from the Moblins.
I already
freed Vah Ruta.

I've been doing lot of Shrines too, so I got decent health and stamina. So rewarding to come back to the
Modest Test of Strength Trial
prepared and kick ass.

I have no shame in looking up a solution for some of the very blatant trolling and vague as heck puzzles in the game.

Do you mean the riddles? Where you basically have to figure out how to reach a shrine?

Because those are one of my favorite things about this game.

Mediking

Do you mean the riddles? Where you basically have to figure out how to reach a shrine?

Because those are one of my favorite things about this game.

Some of the Shrine Quests and some of the finding terminals in the Divine Beasts are so annoying and fall in my trolling category.

Care to give some examples? There were a couple very obtuse ones but I thought most were fine.

EDIT:

Some of the Shrine Quests and some of the finding terminals in the Divine Beasts are so annoying and fall in my trolling category.

The only shrine quest I found to be really annoying was the
broken monument one outside of Lurelin
and I had a lot of trouble in
Vah Ruta
before the divine beast gimmick sorta clicked with me, but I actually really liked feeling stumped there. Nothing about the divine beasts seemed unfairly difficult to me.

I did read his journal, back when I was doing the Blood Moon quest.

I did. And assuming you mean the little gazebo with his diary as his house, he is not there.

Seriously, is my game bugged? Kass, come back!

Try reading his journal again, the last page is different once you do all his quests. That may be what triggers him appearing in the village.

Whatever their design process was, you can tell that the game wasn't made in a Ubisoft factory. Despite the vastness, there's a lot of order and logic (mostly videogamey) in the world

Yeah, people who use the term 'copy paste' for this game are out of their minds. The world is so varied, not just in terms of environments, but also in the stuff you can discover. It's easily the most adventurous world in all of gaming.

hampig

Beat the game last night. Absolutely loved the entire game, but I was disappointed by the ending.

It didn't feel nearly as epic as I was expecting, just a short walk through the castle and you're at Ganon. Granted, I took the waterfall shortcut thinking I was being clever, but I really feel like that might have helped ruin the end for me. It just didn't feel grand in comparison to the rest of the game. I would have loved the castle to big taller and force you to climb a winding staircase or something to build up tension, something more at least.

Got the master sword, only beat 3 divine beasts.

Is there a way to check play time on the Switch? I tried looking but could only find anything.

Go to your profile at the top left of the home screen, it will tell you either how long ago you started playing the game (i.e. 5 days ago) or after I think 10 days it will say "more than 55 hours" or something like that.

I needed
fish for the spicy meat and seafood recipe to get the warm doublet,
I don't have fishing gear so I decided to try bombs. Simply awesome that something like that works.

OT3

I'm 100 hours in and still have 49 more shrines, 300 more korok seeds (for max slots), two more dungeons, 4 more memories, and of course Ganon. At this rate, 200 hours to do "everything."

This game has truly been an adventure

Just checked, last page is still him saying he needs to discover all the songs.

Then you must be missing one of the quests. I've managed to do some of the Shrine Quests in the game without actually receiving the Shrine Quest, such that I need to actually seek out the quest giver for it to show up completed in my log. Maybe something like that happened for you?

I think I finished Tarry Town. I think this is the best game mankind has ever created. Send help.

I agree. Don't even like open worlds normally, but this nails it so hard that it wasn't the open worlds that I disliked, but the way they were designed. As a true adventure, this game has no equal.

rhandino

Banned
Ummm... the only shrines I would call trolling are the ones in which you have to get
naked while there is a Blood Moon
and only because lot of people would not know that while is random
you have higher chances to appear if you kill enemies

Speaking of trolling... is there something in Mekar Island? I went there and it had nothing except when you go at night
and there is an almost endless horde of skeletons.

Forkball

I think I finished Tarry Town. I think this is the best game mankind has ever created. Send help.
I want to live in a Bolson house.

Speaking of Tarrey Town, I just found a guy who sells the armor you find in shrines. Was this guy always here or does he appear only after you get all the pieces?

Ummm... the only shrines I would call trolling are the ones in which you have to get
naked while there is a Blood Moon
and only because lot of people would not know that while is random
you have higher chances to appear if you kill enemies

Speaking of trolling... is there something in Mekar Island? I went there and it had nothing except when you at night

Yeah I just did the same thing, and found it weird that it was just that. After defeating them a bunch of chuchus also popped up, so I actually thought it was some sort of combat gauntlet. But after the chuchus there was nothing!

Really weird.

Which ones, I haven't found one that's vague. It's all pretty much spelled out for you. The closest one to being vague is the constellation one.

random25

Speaking of trolling... is there something in Mekar Island? I went there and it had nothing except when you go at night

I mentioned it in the first OT I believe. It's just an extreme trolling island.

I did read his journal, back when I was doing the Blood Moon quest.

I did. And assuming you mean the little gazebo with his diary as his house, he is not there.

Seriously, is my game bugged? Kass, come back!

Maybe you found one of the shrines but never actually beat it? Try checking all the locations again if the shrines are beaten or if Kass is still present near one of them.
Also, I know he appears at the Tabantha Bridge Stable and at the Foothill stable without actually giving quests, maybe you need to talk to him there?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I ran into the Beedle yesterday and he gave me a free
arrow that's supposed to do a lot of damage to guardians
. Is that the best way to beat them? The only one I've beaten I just kinda followed a pattern of arrow, slash with sword rinse and repeat. But I have a feeling that might have been a pretty easy one?

Unless you do what I do and completely miss the part you're supposed to aim at and waste the arrow

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Then you must be missing one of the quests. I've managed to do some of the Shrine Quests in the game without actually receiving the Shrine Quest, such that I need to actually seek out the quest giver for it to show up completed in my log. Maybe something like that happened for you?

I've done all of the shrines and have all of his quests in my log. 7 shrine quests and one regular, right? The one about
the shrine of courage (I think that was it. Mouth of the dragon or something?)
I did before him giving it to me. He acknowledged that I'd already done it, said I could see the future and was done.

EDIT:
Maybe you found one of the shrines but never actually beat it? Try checking all the locations again if the shrines are beaten or if Kass is still present near one of them.
Also, I know he appears at the Tabantha Bridge Stable and at the Foothill stable without actually giving quests, maybe you need to talk to him there?

Definitely beaten all the shrines, got the reward for it. Have all of his quests marked as done in my log. I've also talked to him at one of the stables after beating all of his quests. He just offers to play the song from 1000 years ago.

KayMote

Does anybody from the Wii U players now if it's possible to create a new safe file without deleting your main file by switching to a different account? Would love to start a new game without deleting my 200 hours file.

maxcriden

There's a sunken chest stuck in the sand in Aris Beach. Here:
C8gO2P0UMAAx0YY.jpg:large

Any ideas how to get it? Magnesis usually takes care of sunken chests or stuck-in-sand chests but this one is both and Magnesis isn't doing it. Glitch perchance?

Finishing up the 11 shrines I was still missing after beating the game.

I thought it would be a drag, but I'm having a lot of fun. I'm exploring areas more slowly and thoroughly, and I'm finding lots of stuff I missed the first time. I've found like 3 new mini games, for instance.

Also I now realized that korok seeds serve a wonderful purpose as "Link was here" markers. So now whenever I visit a location I try to find a seed there so I'll remember never to go back.

RagManX

So many of you are waaaaaay ahead of me. I just finally beat
Waterblight Gannon
after at least a dozen tries. I love gaming, but I do so suck at it. I'm about 20 hours into the game at the moment, and looking forward to finishing it, but as I worked on freeing
Ruta
I found I had to start checking online walkthroughs and read the official guide, because I just couldn't figure out that dungeon on my own. Guess I'll keep referencing guides as I progress from here, as I'm slowing down in figuring out and discovering things (especially some shrine solutions) on my own. I need the helping hands of others.

maxcriden

So I ran into the Beedle yesterday and he gave me a free
arrow that's supposed to do a lot of damage to guardians
. Is that the best way to beat them? The only one I've beaten I just kinda followed a pattern of arrow, slash with sword rinse and repeat. But I have a feeling that might have been a pretty easy one?

t's one of the easiest ways to beat them, yes, but those are hard to come by and very expensive once you find a place to "buy" them. You can also
chop off their legs one by one
with a 2 handed sword (or guardian weapon), which makes beating them fairly easy.

Neat tip! I didn't realize you could do that, thank you. Since they still shoot that death beam at your regardless, I personally find the arrows are my preferred way to go. peppermints, you are going to be spending a lot of non-
Guardian
arrows and swords on the Guardians IMO, so I recommend when you can get the
Guardian arrows
, you use them primarily to beat the Guardians. You can get an immense amount of rupees selling ore and then also you can get what else you need for this item by searching the many dormant Guardians - plenty of them are around the location I'm referring to in the next paragraph - so while they're pricy since a single one can defeat any Guardian if aimed properly (and if I miss once or twice I re-load the save) I think they are well worth the cost.

Beedle I believe told you where to find the place to buy more. I am happy to fill you in if you missed that, so please feel free to let me know if you want a hint where to find that location.

I've done all of the shrines and have all of his quests in my log. 7 shrine quests and one regular, right? The one about
the shrine of courage (I think that was it. Mouth of the dragon or something?)
I did before him giving it to me. He acknowledged that I'd already done it, said I could see the future and was done.

EDIT:

Definitely beaten all the shrines, got the reward for it. Have all of his quests marked as done in my log. I've also talked to him at one of the stables after beating all of his quests. He just offers to play the song from 1000 years ago.

Sounds odd... but I heard of a few other people having the same problem too, so maybe it actually is a bug?
Although I found this on Gamefaqs:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75094938

Someone made him appear after doing the beast there and finishing some more sidequests in the village. Maybe try to finish as much as you can in the area and see if something triggers it?
At the very least, I don't think you get any reward for seeing him there... It's just a nice little ending to the story and not related to anything missable, so you can just watch it online, I guess :)

Top Bottom