• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

There's a sunken chest stuck in the sand in Aris Beach. Here:
C8gO2P0UMAAx0YY.jpg:large

Any ideas how to get it? Magnesis usually takes care of sunken chests or stuck-in-sand chests but this one is both and Magnesis isn't doing it. Glitch perchance?
Cryonisis? Sometimes you need to get closer. I'll boot the game up and see myself, need an excuse to get back on.

Dr.Hadji

I wish there were more memories in or around Hyrule Castle. Seeing as Hyrule Castle's transformation into Ganon's prison is the closest thing to a Dark World transformation in the game. Would have been cool to play up the contrast.

Nictel

Any ideas how to get it? Magnesis usually takes care of sunken chests or stuck-in-sand chests but this one is both and Magnesis isn't doing it. Glitch perchance?

Walk to it and try to open it.
there are chest octoroks

It's related to a Kass quest, I think... I met him by those rocks at night, try going back then.

maxcriden

Cryonisis? Sometimes you need to get closer. I'll boot the game up and see myself, need an excuse to get back on.

Sorry, I meant we tried Cryo and Magnesis together. Right up next to it. Thanks.

Walk to it and try to open it.
there are chest octoroks

It's not a
Chest Octo
. There's one right along the beach to the west of this market. This is in the middle of the water. Thank you though!

It's related to a Kass quest, I think... I met him by those rocks at night, try going back then.

Oh, interesting, thank you. Ok, we'll try him at night. It was definitely at Aris Beach?

Sorry, I meant we tried Cryo and Magnesis together. Right up next to it. Thanks.

It's not a
Chest Octo
. There's one right along the beach to the west of this market. This is in the middle of the water. Thank you though!

Oh, interesting, thank you. Ok, we'll try him at night. It was definitely at Aris Beach?

Whoops, sorry, that's a different beach, just looked very similar to that one :p
I'm clueless, then...

maxcriden

Whoops, sorry, that's a different beach, just looked very similar to that one :p
I'm clueless, then...

NP, thank you though. I was thinking it may just be a glitch. It didn't seem of enough significance to be related to something important. :)

(Also, there is a Kass quest nearby - related to the
Spring of Courage
- so I was surprised another would be that near!)

Anteo

I remember seeing a chest that was too deep to do it with cryonis and magnesis. I was going to try a boat and magnesis instead but then I got sidetracked.

maxcriden

I remember seeing a chest that was too deep to do it with cryonis and magnesis. I was going to try a boat and magnesis instead but then I got sidetracked.

I re-read my post and realized I should have clarified - when we tried magnesis it did glow and let us magnesis it but it wouldn't budge. Thanks though, I am interested to know where the chest you're thinking of is.

Fireblend

Banned
Huh. So I went to finish the last 3 shrines and one of them was the blood moon one. I wonder if my game glitched out because all I did was create a fire and wait for the night, and as soon as that finished loading, the Shrine showed up as if the task had been completed. Here I was getting ready to lose some fire arrows waiting by the fire...

So is there some type of algorithm running in the background of this game? I swear enemies are better equipped and are a lot more difficult at a certain point than when I first started.

maxcriden

So is there some type of algorithm running in the background of this game? I swear enemies are better equipped and are a lot more difficult at a certain point than when I first started.

We've had the same experience. Still plenty of weaker ones around, but even back on the Great Plateau I believe there are tougher enemies about now. So, I think so, yeah.

random25

Huh. So I went to finish the last 3 shrines and one of them was the blood moon one. I wonder if my game glitched out because all I did was create a fire and wait for the night, and as soon as that finished loading, the Shrine showed up as if the task had been completed. Here I was getting ready to lose some fire arrows waiting by the fire...

It starts out the night of the blood moon. Does not need to see the blood moon up above the sky to trigger the platform.

Certain areas have enemies with better weapons. Also, some enemies "evolve" the stronger you get.

Firebrand

I've done all of the shrines and have all of his quests in my log. 7 shrine quests and one regular, right? The one about
the shrine of courage (I think that was it. Mouth of the dragon or something?)
I did before him giving it to me. He acknowledged that I'd already done it, said I could see the future and was done.

EDIT:

Definitely beaten all the shrines, got the reward for it. Have all of his quests marked as done in my log. I've also talked to him at one of the stables after beating all of his quests. He just offers to play the song from 1000 years ago.

You can check
the book at Waffle? Washa? Washu? Hill
. One non-shrine is
a pillar in the water in down southeast

Also, after doing all of them you need to
meet up with him in Rito village, after beating that area boss

edit: Sorry if I'm not caught up on what you've already tried, arrived late to this conversation. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I found myself back in the lanayru region yesterday. spent like 4 hours yesterday just wandering around the lanayru region, up in the snow mountains and along the coasts, finding like 20 koroks that I had either previously overlooked, or just not encountered, and even 1 or 2 shrines, buried treasure, and stocked up on plenty of saffrons and chillshrooms (I still haven't explored the western portion of the world map.)

I love the feeling of exploration, of seeing new set pieces in the environment and becoming immediately suspicious of the presence of a hidden korok, sometimes being rewarded, other times finding nothing.

There is so much bite-sized content that I won't be able to commit it to memory. Replays down the road will give the same feeling of accomplishment and reward (should I desire it). I'll be able to set limits on myself (hearts, stamina, equipment, defense boosts) to create my own challenges. I'll be able to tackle as many regions I want in whatever order I want.

I love it. And the best part is, it's so easy to see that there are so many ways it can be improved upon.

lyrick

Still exploring trying to find my last 5 shrines...

I was checking out the Peninsula directly west the Northeastern Labyrinth and happened across a large structure of volcanic rock looking stuff connecting to the mainland that I could not climb. It was not "could not climb" like the extreme western edge of map Gerudo Highlands, but like inside of a shrine slide all the way to the bottom could not climb.

Is there anything special about that area that I missed, or is it just random?

NP, thank you though. I was thinking it may just be a glitch. It didn't seem of enough significance to be related to something important. :)

(Also, there is a Kass quest nearby - related to the
Spring of Courage
- so I was surprised another would be that near!)

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632936-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75121146

It seems you're not alone :) ha
Just tried it too, nothing seems to work!
Possibly a glitch, frustrating nonetheless :D

Firebrand

Still exploring trying to find my last 5 shrines...

I was checking out the Peninsula directly west the Northeastern Labyrinth and happened across a large structure of volcanic rock looking stuff connecting to the mainland that I could not climb. It was not "could not climb" like the extreme western edge of map Gerudo Highlands, but like inside of a shrine slide all the way to the bottom could not climb.

Is there anything special about that area that I missed, or is it just random?

If you mean the stretch north-south just west of the labyrinth, nope, there's no shrine there at least.

Anteo

I re-read my post and realized I should have clarified - when we tried magnesis it did glow and let us magnesis it but it wouldn't budge. Thanks though, I am interested to know where the chest you're thinking of is.

Iirc it was north of zora's domain. Cant remmeber how far away but I had just gotten the head piece of the zora armor and it was near a waterfall so I decided to go down to check what is around there. Then traveled a bit more to the north.

The Game™

And I was thinking about going there yesterday! But i did find like 4 shirines

maxcriden

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632936-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75121146

It seems you're not alone :) ha
Just tried it too, nothing seems to work!
Possibly a glitch, frustrating nonetheless :D

Oh wow! That is a ten page thread :O Lol. Thanks for finding that and testing it yourself! Glad we are not alone and it feels good to be amongst the glitch finders when the game has so few haha. (Here's another we found btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233117645&postcount=18927

Iirc it was north of zora's domain. Cant remmeber how far away but I had just gotten the head piece of the zora armor and it was near a waterfall so I decided to go down to check what is around there. Then traveled a bit more to the north.

Thanks for the info! We'll keep an eye out for it.

CrazyHorse

This game needs staged endings. It has two endings but it's not enough for what the game does.

It needs:

An ending for doing all shrines.
One for beating all divine beasts.
One for getting the master sword.

Ganon should not be seen as properly defeated unless all things have been done. A bit like how DKC3 did it.

GtwoK

Fuck, discovered that shrine hidden in those ruins in the Woodland region - the one where everything goes 100% pitch black and you cant see more than 2 feet in front of you for SHIT.

Anyway, managed to beat the Hinnox at the center and as I'm walking towards the shirne, the goddamn freakiest thing in the world - ended up being a blood moon that night. Of course, because everything is pitch black the moon was "turned off" in terms of visibility - but the blood moon effects weren't.

So instead of seeing the red moon rising into the sky, all I saw was the wispy, inter-dimensional glowing red portal orb thing slowly ascending into total blackness, where NOTHING else was visible. Fuck, that gave me the heebie jeebies.

This is a terrible quality photo, but in person, my god, it unnerved me.

9COEwNX.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm reasonably certain that there is scaling based on a combination of shrines completed, number of hearts, amount of stamina, and story triggers (# of memories, whether you've gotten the master sword, number of divine beasts tamed, even map completion and towers unlocked.) In the valleys beneath the dueling peaks, bokoblin camps now have white and silver bokoblins. I am 100% sure they weren't there when I first explored the area.

Oh wow! That is a ten page thread :O Lol. Thanks for finding that and testing it yourself! Glad we are not alone and it feels good to be amongst the glitch finders when the game has so few haha. (Here's another we found btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233117645&postcount=18927

My favorite glitch so far was seeing a flock of birds (the ones flying in V formation) disappear into the side of the cliff when I was down in the
Forgotten Temple
canyon.

Fuck, discovered that shrine hidden in those ruins in the Woodland region - the one where everything goes 100% pitch black and you cant see more than 2 feet in front of you for SHIT.

Anyway, managed to beat the Hinnox at the center and as I'm walking towards the shirne, the goddamn freakiest thing in the world - ended up being a blood moon that night. Of course, because everything is pitch black the moon was "turned off" in terms of visibility - but the blood moon effects weren't.

So instead of seeing the red moon rising into the sky, all I saw was the wispy, inter-dimensional glowing red portal orb thing slowly ascending into total blackness, where NOTHING else was visible. Fuck, that gave me the heebie jeebies.

9COEwNX.jpg
Spoopy.

SpeedNut

How is 11 korok seeds even possible. :) And you can free roam after beating Ganon, to get those remaining
889 seeds

The important stuff (food) you have unlimited inventory for, and I never ran out of weapons, bows or shields without expanding my inventory. Other than hoarding I just didn't need it like hearts or stamina.

Ha, write an angry email to Nintendo with those screenshots and demand a refund for them selling you a clearly broken game :p

For chests stuck in the sand, when you use magnesis, you have to walk backwards with Link in order to "pull" it out of the sand.

Hyoukokun

I've definitely noticed that in the late-game, there are certain enemies (
black and silver Goblins/Bokoblins/Lizalfos)
) showing up in places where they weren't originally. Not sure exactly what triggers them to show up.

maxcriden

9COEwNX.jpg

That is very unsettling! That whole area required you to rely on your tools in an entirely different way. Really neat mix of E
ventide
I
sland
and the L
ost
W
oods
. It was fun just lighting individual torches and getting a better idea what was around you.

My favorite glitch so far was seeing a flock of birds (the ones flying in V formation) disappear into the side of the cliff when I was down in the
Forgotten Temple
canyon.

Haven't found that area, but that sounds freaky indeed!

Ha, write an angry email to Nintendo with those screenshots and demand a refund for them selling you a clearly broken game :p

Heh. I could never in good conscience ask for a refund for a game that offers so much enjoyment though! :)

For chests stuck in the sand, when you use magnesis, you have to walk backwards with Link in order to "pull" it out of the sand.

Thanks, I guess that is what we have been doing on instinct when getting those - but since this one is underwater also it doesn't seem to react in the same way. It seems nobody in that 10 page GameFAQs thread could get it. It's a mystery!

JonCha

Got to like 70 shrines myself and pulled up a guide to find the rest of them. Honestly, I'm still having fun finding them with it; I'd never get them all myself.

KevinG

I just flew over that particular forest and landed right on the
Hinox,
so I didn't get the same experience from it that so many did. I was in and out within 5 minutes.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Sounds odd... but I heard of a few other people having the same problem too, so maybe it actually is a bug?
Although I found this on Gamefaqs:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75094938

Someone made him appear after doing the beast there and finishing some more sidequests in the village. Maybe try to finish as much as you can in the area and see if something triggers it?
At the very least, I don't think you get any reward for seeing him there... It's just a nice little ending to the story and not related to anything missable, so you can just watch it online, I guess :)

I might just have to do that, since I've done all divine beasts and sidequests in the village. That sucks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and done! whew, that sure was fantastic huh? 70 odd hours, 73 shrines, I feel good about that, I have no desire to go back and look for more stuff, my journey is done.

The highest praise I can give it is that it probably (not sure yet but probably) knocked Hollow Knight off my GOTY spot (lol weird compliment I know) but hey, Horizon and Nier didnt do it, so thats my barometer :p

Just a great great game overall, not much else to say, im not one for hyperbole so ill leave it at that.

maxcriden

I just flew over that particular forest and landed right on the
Hinox,
so I didn't get the same experience from it that so many did. I was in and out within 5 minutes.

We used Cryo to make our way into that area and then snaked through the forest trying to
see anything at all.
I can see how it would be pretty different if you landed where you did, though, haha. And a bit surprising.

-

For those playing with your significant others, how's it going?

My wife is terrified of the overworld bosses since a bad experience with the Great Plateau Stone Talus and trying to come to grips with the camera simultaneously. In general she's a big Zelda fan but feels a bit overwhelmed when it comes to giant enemies or boss battles. Yesterday she beat a Talus for the first time, a tough one in Western
Faron, up on a plateau and it gave a diamond!!
and a couple
Hinoxes,
including a black one, as well as the uber-tough (I think among the hardest?) Lynel in
Lodrum Headland
on the east side of the map, south of Akkala - her first time fighting one! She persevered and kicked some butt. I was so proud. :D

tkscz

9COEwNX.jpg

You can take direct screen shots of Wii U games by pressing home (which is going to load for a while as the BotW is using Wii U's other RAM) opening the web browser, opening any image host site, and clicking upload. It'll let you choose main screen or controller screen to capture. Screen shot main screen and you're done. Takes longer with Zelda, but works well.

KevinG

We used Cryo to make our way into that area and then snaked through the forest trying to
see anything at all.
I can see how it would be pretty different if you landed where you did, though, haha. And a bit surprising.

-

My wife is terrified of the overworld bosses since a bad experience with the Great Plateau Stone Talus and trying to come to grips with the camera simultaneously. In general she's a big Zelda fan but feels a bit overwhelmed when it comes to giant enemies or boss battles. Yesterday she beat a Talus for the first time, a tough one in Western
and a couple
Hinoxes,
including a black one, as well as the uber-tough (I think among the hardest?) Lynel in
Lodrum Headland
on the east side of the map, south of Akkala - her first time fighting one! She persevered and kicked some butt. I was so proud. :D

My wife is intimidated by the open world aspect and simply won't play it.

She wants the game to hold her hand a bit, and doesn't like that this Zelda doesn't.

Every so often she'll be watching me play and make a comment about something being really neat.

I went to that chest at Aris Beach. It glows red so it is not a treasure octorok. Cryo and Magnesis don't work. I tried using magnesis on the other chest and move it with the other chest, didn't work. Tried using time stop and hitting it with arrows didn't work (too deep for melee weapons). Does anyone know if the water recedes with the tides in this game? Otherwise I have no clue. Whatever is in this chest probably isn't worth the trouble but the fact that I can't get it drives me crazy.

I've definitely noticed that in the late-game, there are certain enemies (
black and silver Goblins/Bokoblins/Lizalfos)
) showing up in places where they weren't originally. Not sure exactly what triggers them to show up.

Every time a blood moon shows up the enemies rank up depending on how many you kill.

-

and a couple
Hinoxes,
Lodrum Headland
My girlfriend loves hunting animals, cooking meat, making camp fires, catching and riding horses. Her comment: "there is so much you can do in this game I can see why people like it so much!"

jariw

Absolutely. Think of the blood moons as starting a new level. It happens very gradually, but the progression is there. Now at night, I almost only get the really large skeletons with big bows and clubs, not the small ones that was everything I saw during the start of the game. Revisiting the Great Plateau at night make this very clear.

However, the weapons scale as well. In the same chests (in the overworld) that I have visited before, I now get +25 damage weapons and such things.

Burny

Great experience overall. My better half mostly likes to watch me and sometimes play herself. She's a bit new and not that proficient with dual stick games yet, therefore she generally dislikes fighting. Unfortunately, she got ambushed by a Yiga the first time she played and took what she had to defeat it, resorting to the fire staff, which worked a treat, but also killed her horse. Still hilarious. Likes to empty the inventory cooking all kinds of things as well. But I can't fool around as I would if I played alone while she's watching. I would usually go into full sidetrack in mode collecting all kinds of doodads I come across. But somebody randomly deciding to chase bugs every now and then may not be the most interesting thing to watch, while chasing memories is a better 'watching' experience. ^^ She's away for a couple of days, so I've to refrain from pushing the plot or going for the end boss, as she likes to watch.

More than enough side quests to tackle though, if I manage to find the time.

Kuro

I only have Hebra, parts of Faron, and maybe like 25 shrines left to complete but man am I burnt out at this rate. The combat in this game is killing me with how repetitive and clunky it is. I kind of want to just head straight for the castle, beat the game and call it a day. I really thought this deserved its scores for the first 40ish hours but the game as a whole has so many problems.

Mediking

So... does the Master Sword quest trigger AFTER I do all the Divine Beasts or....? And where the heck is Hestu? North of Hylia River or something? Or where is the Lost Woods???

So... does the Master Sword quest trigger AFTER I do all the Divine Beasts or....? And where the heck is Hestu? North of Hylia River or something? Or where is the Lost Woods???

There is no Master Sword quest.

The answer to all your questions:
north of Hyrule Caslte

You gotta find it on your own. Ask around, explore.

I found the Master Sword 10 hours in...

jariw

I only have Hebra, parts of Faron, and maybe like 25 shrines left to complete but man am I burnt out at this rate. The combat in this game is killing me with how repetitive and clunky it is. I kind of want to just head straight for the castle, beat the game and call it a day. I really thought this deserved its scores for the first 40ish hours but the game as a whole has so many problems.

Why fight, if you don't enjoy the fights? Just do other things in the game instead?

EDIT: Have you found 95 shrines in 40ish hours?

Top Bottom