• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Firebrand

I only have Hebra, parts of Faron, and maybe like 25 shrines left to complete but man am I burnt out at this rate. The combat in this game is killing me with how repetitive and clunky it is. I kind of want to just head straight for the castle, beat the game and call it a day. I really thought this deserved its scores for the first 40ish hours but the game as a whole has so many problems.

I think the game goes a bit far with the enemy scaling when you start getting multiple
silver
enemies in one camp, they have too much HP.

To be honest, I started skipping enemy camps pretty early on. When I saw the first skull I was like, wow, that's amazing. Then I saw another skull a bit later and went... huh. Eventually I just stopped investigating the camps at all if they were not in my way, even if there were those purple chests. When you only have space for the better weapons you find, going in there and losing 1-2 weapons isn't worth it.

Anteo

So... does the Master Sword quest trigger AFTER I do all the Divine Beasts or....? And where the heck is Hestu? North of Hylia River or something? Or where is the Lost Woods???

You can find ans pull the master sword before beating any beast, if you can prove you are worthy.

Remember that the only things required in this game are the 4 shirines in the plateau and ganon. Everything else is optional.

I went to that chest at Aris Beach. It glows red so it is not a treasure octorok. Cryo and Magnesis don't work. I tried using magnesis on the other chest and move it with the other chest, didn't work. Tried using time stop and hitting it with arrows didn't work (too deep for melee weapons). Does anyone know if the water recedes with the tides in this game? Otherwise I have no clue. Whatever is in this chest probably isn't worth the trouble but the fact that I can't get it drives me crazy.

Oh man maybe it's the Ocarina of Time Triforce rumores all over again...

I seriously hope there are some super insane secrets in this game that nobody has uncovered. Like obscure recipes that give you some unique item like the fake Guardian key from that Gamespot April fools video. Or like certain walls in certain mountains that don't appear cracked but will break when bombed anyway. Or trees that can be burnt down to reveal something secret...

Tried getting through the stealth quest in
the Lost Woods
last night around 10 times. Why can't they just include a check point somewhere, like where the guy says he's "halfway there"? It's one of those things where it's not like I don't know what to do, but it's just the guy gets lost in the grass and on the lower resolution of the Wii U gamepad I can barely see him when he is right in front of me.

I'm loving the game so far, but man, this shit is not fun and Nintendo should fix it. Anyway, I know I can probably just break it by manually saving every 10 feet, but that's no fun either. I wish there was a way that section could be fun, but I guess mandatory terrible stealth sections is a Zelda trope they just couldn't leave behind.

Kuro

Why fight, if you don't enjoy the fights? Just do other things in the game instead?

EDIT: Have you found 95 shrines in 40ish hours?

No I'm 120 hours in the game. The first 40 hours were the most enjoyable and everything after that goes downhill. I would do other things in the game if I didn't already do them a million times. The shrines are so incredibly boring to me. They are very simple puzzles and they all have the same exact look to them. I just really wish there were more nuggets of story strewn about Hyrule but its so empty. Which is okay at first because I do love the exploration aspect but at some point it just gets boring. I'm a completionist but I'm starting to think I would have been better off just doing the main quest and village sidequests and did less exploring.

Koren

However, the weapons scale as well. In the same chests (in the overworld) that I have visited before, I now get +25 damage weapons and such things.
Which chests respawn? I don't remember opening twice the same chest, and there's plently I'm sure that never respawn.

My girlfriend loves hunting animals, cooking meat
Am I the only one that went full veggie in this game? I can't kill wild animals, and I'm even feeling bad when I kill bokoblins :/

Firebrand

I seriously hope there are some super insane secrets in this game that nobody has uncovered. Like obscure recipes that give you some unique item like the fake Guardian key from that Gamespot April fools video. Or like certain walls in certain mountains that don't appear cracked but will break when bombed anyway. Or trees that can be burnt down to reveal something secret...

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a dev room somewhere along the outer cliff edges. The secret password is "ba-ba-ba, fu-wa fu-wa, sha-keen!". Or bomb arrows. Burning down a tree would be cooler though!

I'm honestly a bit disappointed there's too few caves and holes (giggity) to find in this game. :/ Most boulder piles just hide a chest. TP at least did the caves really well.

Am I the only one that went full veggie in this game? I can't kill wild animals, and I'm even feeling bad when I kill bokoblins :/
I mostly feel bad about killing one wolf in a pack to scare off the other one or two. They lost their mate. :(

This game is completely disrupting my time management. It's soaking up all my free time, and I'm nowhere near done.

I feel like I'd be just fine and more than content with just Zelda if Nintendo didn't have a single, new follow up release until January 2018.

Thank god the DLC isn't coming anytime soon.

Koren

I'm loving the game so far, but man, this shit is not fun and Nintendo should fix it. Anyway, I know I can probably just break it by manually saving every 10 feet, but that's no fun either. I wish there was a way that section could be fun, but I guess mandatory terrible stealth sections is a Zelda trope they just couldn't leave behind.
You can save?

I've yet to try this one, but I'm annoyed with the Gerudo one... I doin't remember ever enjoying a stealth part in any game, let alone a Zelda one :/

maxcriden

I went to that chest at Aris Beach. It glows red so it is not a treasure octorok. Cryo and Magnesis don't work. I tried using magnesis on the other chest and move it with the other chest, didn't work. Tried using time stop and hitting it with arrows didn't work (too deep for melee weapons). Does anyone know if the water recedes with the tides in this game? Otherwise I have no clue. Whatever is in this chest probably isn't worth the trouble but the fact that I can't get it drives me crazy.

Thanks for checking it out! Did you see that GameFAQs thread? It seems there is really no way to get it yet.

Has anyone tried blatantly killing a horse on purpose and then
going to the Horse God to try and bring it back?
What happens? Seems like doing that would be no bueno for Link.

Hustler

the Lost Woods
last night around 10 times. Why can't they just include a check point somewhere, like where the guy says he's "halfway there"? It's one of those things where it's not like I don't know what to do, but it's just the guy gets lost in the grass and on the lower resolution of the Wii U gamepad I can barely see him when he is right in front of me.

I had the same issue with that stealth quest. I would literally find myself running into him because I thought he had moved on after exclaiming something. The time I did succeed at the mission, there was no
wolf
that popped up. So weird, took me 10-15 tries to complete it. Most frustrating quest so far.

Has anyone tried blatantly killing a horse on purpose and then
going to the Horse God to try and bring it back?
What happens? Seems like doing that would be no bueno for Link.
It threatens to kill you, but then says it's joking. It assumes you killed it by accident and revives your horse for you.

You can save?

I've yet to try this one, but I'm annoyed with the Gerudo one... I doin't remember ever enjoying a stealth part in any game, let alone a Zelda one :/

I don't know. The idea just occurred to me as I was typing that post. Will definitely try it when I get home.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm loving this game in a way I haven't loved a game in ages. Playing through pretty slowly though.

My only real gripe is pop-in. I hate when I am looking through my telescope and can't see enemies that should be there.

It threatens to kill you, but then says it's joking. It assumes you killed it by accident and revives your horse for you.

What if you bring your horse to it and kill it right in front of it? I haven't been able to bring myself to purposefully harm a horse...

Though while I was doing that quest to give that guy near G
erudo
C
anyon
a horse a silver bokoblin on his own horse managed to kill the horse I was on, so I had to remove him from his horse and accept it as a substitute. It all worked out though.

I had the same issue with that stealth quest. I would literally find myself running into him because I thought he had moved on after exclaiming something. The time I did succeed at the mission, there was no
wolf
that popped up. So weird, took me 10-15 tries to complete it. Most frustrating quest so far.

When I did it I lost the guy so I just ran to the shrine and waited a few minutes and he showed up.

I don't know. The idea just occurred to me as I was typing that post. Will definitely try it when I get home.
If you do a manual save in the middle of the quest, reloading will just take you back to the start of the quest. It doesn't work.

Anyway, I thought that quest was pretty bad but mostly because it was boring. One hint that might help:
go ahead and kill the wolf ahead of time, it won't respawn right away. At least it didn't for me.

Apt101

I accidentally discovered you can
fish with explosives
! Lol. Makes things easier. You can also
blow up wooden chests
. (minor spoilers, just mechanics most probably already figured out).

Fun thing of the day: I put a bunch of metal in a camp of goblins and moblins or what have you, since the area was having constant thunder storms. As soon as the next storm came two big blasts of lighting decimated the camp so I just had to waltz in naked save for my wooden spear and clean up.

maxcriden

We are doing the same. Well, except for fish, crabs and snails, though I realize it's hypocritical. We'll also eat meat if we come across it. So basically just not hunting mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians. We do collect insects, too, though. I guess we don't find those as discomfiting as the ones we avoid hunting. We did accidentally kill an animal or two and re-loaded.

We are doing the same. Well, except for fish, crabs and snails, though I realize it's hypocritical. We'll also eat meat if we come across it. So basically just not hunting mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians. We do collect insects, too, though. I guess we don't find those as discomfiting as the ones we avoid hunting. We did accidentally kill an animal or two and re-loaded.

Very early in the game I killed a squirrel by accident and immediately felt awful, but then I realized it just dropped an acorn so I told myself I didn't kill it, it just fled quicker than I could see and dropped its lunch in the process.

jariw

Which chests respawn? I don't remember opening twice the same chest, and there's plently I'm sure that never respawn.

I guess it's the wooden chests that respawn. The chest that I know I have been visiting multiple times was a tree chest behind a bombable wall. I think the metal chests are gone forever. Weapons in the shrines chests respawn as well IIRC.

I've actually pretty munch stopped killing animals now in the game, except for the wolves that attack me. The wild life is just too beautiful to destroy.

maxcriden

Very early in the game I killed a squirrel by accident and immediately felt awful, but then I realized it just dropped an acorn so I told myself I didn't kill it, it just fled quicker than I could see and dropped its lunch in the process.

:( Maybe you didn't kill it...

maxcriden

F
ang
and B
one
question. Is the game going to ever give a tip on how to cook dishes with
Monster Elixir?
We tried to make a couple I think and no dice. We weren't really sure where to begin. Any hints? Thanks!

Arttemis

I already did that. I've done all the shrines.

One of Kass's quests
isn't a Shrine Quest
. If you've done all of his shrine quests, then you should know that one of those locations has a hint
alluding the others locations...
Refresh your memory there and compare them to the shrine locations.

Blatant spoiler:

F
ang
and B
one
Monster Elixir?
We tried to make a couple I think and no dice. We weren't really sure where to begin. Any hints? Thanks!

I haven't done it personally, but an NPC told me that it makes
good food
out what would be
dubious food
. So, I imagine that means mixing
Elixir and Food ingredients while adding Monster Elixir.

big_erk

You gotta find it on your own. Ask around, explore.

I found the Master Sword 10 hours in...

I just found it after 30+ hours, only to be told
youre-weak-too-weak-thumb.jpg

the Lost Woods

I beat it second try after I realized it was a stealth mission. How hard is it to crouch and stay behind cover? Follow his voice prompt bubbles if you lost him. I don't mind stealth sections. It's good to have variety in games. If it was the whole game yeah I'd be pissed.

Arttemis

Beedle can burn in hell for taking all of my yellow beetles. I easily gave him enough to upgrade two pieces of gear. Now I have to farm.

F
ang
and B
one
Monster Elixir?

Isn't that how you make monstrous meals? I think you just cook normal meals with it and with some recipes you'll get a stronger, "monstrous" version. I remember doing it once but I don't recall what recipe I used.

Beedle can burn in hell for taking all of my yellow beetles. I easily gave him enough to upgrade two pieces of gear. Now I have to farm.

I am in the exact same spot as you. I can't even find one to take a picture of!

Jeffrey

Disappointed that circlet and earrings aren't a new slot.

What's the point then? There seems to be a lot of equipment overlap.

Also hate how low stats equipment start out of the gate. Doing gerudo stuff with the heat resist armor was hard because everything was doing like 7 hearts of damage lol.

Also its really weird that to get the ancient armor that helps against guardian damage... Requires you to kill a lot of guardians lol.

ag-my001

F
ang
and B
one
Monster Elixir?

There is a quest in Tarrey Town that uses that ingredient. The quest dialogue highlights it, so you just need to put 2+2 together.

Nictel

OK this is odd: Goron quest:
So I went up the mountain with Yunobo, at one point I get to point 9 and well nothing.. There is a cannon but nothing to shoot at. So after trying about everything I read that every guide suggest shooting at Van Rudania but he simply isn't there. After a while I wonder off only to be told "where are you going" and have to start the whole thing over again :(. I realise now reading the quest I have to shoot him from the beginning probably and going to try it now but nothing before seems to make that clear?

I beat it second try after I realized it was a stealth mission. How hard is it to crouch and stay behind cover? Follow his voice prompt bubbles if you lost him. I don't mind stealth sections. It's good to have variety in games. If it was the whole game yeah I'd be pissed.

It's not hard to stay in cover, except, when due to the excessive fog and the character disappearing the grass, you can't see where it is, so you run up a bit and then you're right on him. Again, maybe it's the low resolution of the Wii U gamepad working against me.

I, personally, don't think BotW would be lacking a variety in gameplay by omitting the stealth section(s?)...but I guess I would have preferred a space shooter section or side scrolling beat-em-up to the half-assed stealth sections if they were going to incorporate variety for varieties sake.

Just did eventide island. Very fun quest, though I think they should have disabled runes and made it cold at night so you need to run around with a torch, but nonetheless fun.

Pineconn

So I went up the mountain with Yunobo, at one point I get to point 9 and well nothing.. There is a cannon but nothing to shoot at. So after trying about everything I read that every guide suggest shooting at Van Rudania but he simply isn't there. After a while I wonder off only to be told "where are you going" and have to start the whole thing over again :(. I realise now reading the quest I have to shoot him from the beginning probably and going to try it now but nothing before seems to make that clear?
Sounds like you skipped a cannon or two. There are three in total that you have to shoot.

gardfish

Yeah, I had the same problem. Just go back down the mountain and use the cannons from the beginning, he'll be clearly visible.

60+ hours in, started 12 days ago. And I feel like I caught my second wind. I was never bored, but yesterday was maybe the most fun day yet and I played more than any previous day. And now I feel obsessed all over again. Suddenly a Friday test in my hardest class is a terrifying thought with Zelda sitting there during 'study time'. I'm more into it now than I was a week ago.

Was going to get Persona on launch to split time between them. but that just seems silly now. I know I won't play until I finish Zelda.

Ok so I beat the game last week and have gone back a few times but don't really have the strong desire to. All the shrine quests that I have left I don't know how to complete so the only way to complete them would be to search the answer online. As for the regular side quests they seem very easy and the rewards pretty poor. Not really sure where to go from here. Any advice?

Anteo

Ok so I beat the game last week and have gone back a few times but don't really have the strong desire to. All the shrine quests that I have left I don't know how to complete so the only way to complete them would be to search the answer online. As for the regular side quests they seem very easy and the rewards pretty poor. Not really sure where to go from here. Any advice?

Well there is a reward for getting all 120 shirines.

poussi

You can also
blow up wooden chests

Holy shit why haven't I tried that.

The stealth quest that has been mentioned was really bad, took like eight attempts for me and by the end I was really frustrated. What made matters worse was I didn't talk to the guy at the end and just went to the shrine, which didn't trigger the quest completing. So just not to have it lingering on my list I had to redo the whole thing. It was easier once I had figured out the complete route though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

If you don't have any desire to go back, then this should be easy. Wait for the DLC to see if it entices you to return.

Top Bottom