• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Firebrand

BTW besides the shadow Ganon bosses does the
master sword
power up against anything else?
All the guardians. I think it also works against any mob inside Hyrule Castle, but I didn't use the champion's tunic much so I didn't watch their HP bars.

They break. You can smash them from up high or bomb them. :)
Oh okay, that makes sense I suppose. It sounded like they disintegrated from some 3-in-a-row-effect or something, haha.

Fireblend

Banned
Aaaaaand done.

100 hours (or close to that), all 120 shrines, all 76 sidequests, all 42 shrine quests, a substantial amount of upgraded equipment and all memories. That was such a fun game, damn.

I've never been a fan of 3D Zelda games. I think most of them are flawed games, with tons of padding and empty space (except for Skyward Sword, never played that one) while the portable games are for the most part the ones that I really like in the franchise, but this one is different. This one is so different to everything I've played before. Open world games have never worked for me. Ever, until this game. Not only was I never overwhelmed as often ends up happening with other games in the genre, I wanted there to be more things to do, I wanted it to not stop surprising me, throwing new things at me, I cherished the long walks before reaching a new location, I scanned new places meticulously for stuff I could interact with, I kept revisiting old locations and the game kept rewarding me for it when I didn't expect it, I engaged with a goddamn weapon degradation system that ended up feeling refined, justified and fun.

What an achievement. If there ever was a game worth buying a new system for, this one is it.

jokkir

Aaaaaand done.

100 hours (or close to that), all 120 shrines, all 76 sidequests, all 42 shrine quests, a substantial amount of upgraded equipment and all memories. That was such a fun game, damn.

I've never been a fan of 3D Zelda games. I think most of them are flawed games, with tons of padding and empty space (except for Skyward Sword, never played that one) while the portable games are for the most part the ones that I really like in the franchise, but this one is different. This one is so different to everything I've played before. Open world games have never worked for me. Ever, until this game. Not only was I never overwhelmed as often ends up happening with other games in the genre, I wanted there to be more things to do, I wanted it to not stop surprising me, throwing new things at me, I cherished the long walks before reaching a new location, I scanned new places meticulously for stuff I could interact with, I kept revisiting old locations and the game kept rewarding me for it when I didn't expect it, I engaged with a goddamn weapon degradation system that ended up feeling refined, justified and fun.

What an achievement. If there ever was a game worth buying a new system for, this one is it.

Guide? I'm 100+ hours in and I'm not even close to done. Though, I've been goofing off the past few hours doing non-quest related stuff

Type_Raver

How do you check your progress on the Wii U edition?
Does it give you a % figure or just break down what you have collected so far?

Fireblend

Banned
Guide? I'm 100+ hours in and I'm not even close to done. Though, I've been goofing off the past few hours doing non-quest related stuff

Not really. I did use a guide for some of the last shrines and quests, but I made it easily to 100+ shrines before I consulted one. There were also things I knew about because I saw them discussed here and elsewhere, I had plenty of friends playing the game as well. If anything I feel like the way I paced myself was very appropriate; I fear if I'd passed the 100 hour mark without, say, having beaten most of the divine beasts I would have burnt myself out. I feel like I had the perfect experience (for me, obviously. I know plenty of people here are content just exploring while I need more "story momentum" to carry me forward throughout a game).

Jeffrey

All the guardians. I think it also works against any mob inside Hyrule Castle, but I didn't use the champion's tunic much so I didn't watch their HP bars.

Oh okay, that makes sense I suppose. It sounded like they disintegrated from some 3-in-a-row-effect or something, haha.

How do you even get in melee range of those? The ones in the fields seem to run faster than me to close in. I end up just reflecting with shield.

Thinking about it, here's my hardmode wishlist

Tweak all bosses; make them move faster, hit a bit harder.

Change the food mechanic so you can't eat your way to victory

Make parrying guardian laser beams still affect your shields durability; Guardians are a joke once you've learned how to parry their lasers. You can take down any guardians with the shittiest shield just by perfect parrying their lasers. Force the player to try alternate tactics or burn through all their shields.

Make you still need to eat/drink a hot/cold reduction food despite wearing hot/cold reduction armor; Once you get the best armors for weather, reduction foods lose all their value.

Forced Pro Mode; This is to be expected I bet you

Gerudo Lightning helm
can nullify three electric shocks before having to recharge for a while; Lightning storms
lose all their terror once you get that helm

Buff lizalfos camoflauge; I want more heart attack surprise attack please.

Nerf Urbosas Fury and Daruks Protections

Remix shrines;Though I don't have my hopes up

VanWinkle

Over 20 hours into the game and I've finally started cooking and realized how important it is. I just cooked 40 meals in a row.

kris.

Banned
HOLY SHIT

Just chillin at the
Ya Naga shrine, turn around and BOOM GIANT YELLOW DRAGON JUST FLYING RIGHT PAST ME BY THE WATER EMITTING HUGE ELECTRICITY ORBS.

THIS GAME IS SO COOL.

Takat

Just beat Ganon.

Over 195 hours. All shrines, I counted 75 quests and 41 shrine quests. Most of the stuff upgraded.

Ending was ok, nothing great. I didn't get the connection at all to the silent princess flower they said was part of the story. Maybe I missed something.

Where do I see the percentage?

Firebrand

How do you even get in melee range of those? The ones in the fields seem to run faster than me to close in. I end up just reflecting with shield.
Stasis+ or an arrow to the eye stuns them and resets the beam lock-on. But yeah, if they spot you from a long distance it'll take some dodging to get in there.

Type_Raver

You get a percentage after beating the game once.

Ohh, i see...

Heres what I did, i finished the game once (only 10 memories collected,
not all 13
), but then wanted to go back and find the rest of the memories before fighting the final boss again. But what I did was use an old save, instead of using the latest save. I suspect thats why im not seeing the % figure.

maxcriden

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, it's easy to think of them as essentially indestructible!

I just smash the metal crates with my sledge hammer, takes them out in one hit.

Why waste the durability? Magnesis, lift sky high, drop.

Magnesis, raise right joycon and smash it down. Super satisfying

I'm on the no durability wasted bandwagon as also. I like the bombs in this game though so we've just transitioned from Magnesis to those for the metal crates. It's nice and low effort.

Aaaaaand done.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I would be very curious how you'd like Skyward, which while I love, I can readily recognize is essentially the very opposite of this game: focused story, linear quest, themed dungeons and items...not quite as corridor-esque in exploration as it's sometimes claimed to be, but still very much the opposite of BOTW.

Defense/movement boosts + good armor + extra hearts help get and keep in close range of some of the more brutal enemies, IMO. Hope that helps!

HOLY SHIT

Just chillin at the
Ya Naga shrine, turn around and BOOM GIANT YELLOW DRAGON JUST FLYING RIGHT PAST ME BY THE WATER EMITTING HUGE ELECTRICITY ORBS.

THIS GAME IS SO COOL.

That's a really cool moment. The music is gorgeous too. Wonder if (small hint)
you can do anything to interact with it.
:O

Apt101

What. Errrr. Don't spoil me, nevermind. Wut.

Not literally the sky. Just high up. Not a spoiler. :)

Also I am become Hinox slayer. I'd take on three of them at once if I could. The bastards.

Still hating moblins with spears though.

Edit: I feel so uneasy without cloud saves. Cmon Nintendo. At least let us save to a SD card.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I would be very curious how you'd like Skyward, which while I love, I can readily recognize is essentially the very opposite of this game: focused story, linear quest, themed dungeons and items...not quite as corridor-esque in exploration as it's sometimes claimed to be, but still very much the opposite of BOTW.

I'm really curious about SS because what I've heard of it makes it sound like it addresses my most "immediate" complaints about the usual 3D Zelda formula, though I know it's a very "hit or miss" game; BotW was surprising to me because the genre it belongs to is one I usually find myself having trouble with, so in theory, the complete opposite would be something I might feel comfortable with :p I'll check it out eventually, I suppose, specially with it being one of the very few Zelda games I have yet to play.

Right now I'm just staring at the Persona 5 preload countdown on my PS4 lol.

maxcriden

Not literally the sky. Just high up. Not a spoiler. :)

I was kinda disappointed when that one kid near one of the Central Hyrule stables, the one with the Octo Balloon sidequest, mentions
people from a city in the sky talking to him. I assumed that was a Skyloft reference (though I suppose it could also be a Twilight Princess or Minish Cap reference), and then I realized that floaty thing is probably a Divine Beast and not Skyloft, and I was a bit bummed.
But, if there is something more to that reference in the game, please don't tell me, haha.

I'm really curious about SS because what I've heard of it makes it sound like it addresses my most "immediate" complaints about the usual 3D Zelda formula, though I know it's a very "hit or miss" game; BotW was surprising to me because the genre it belongs to is one I usually find myself having trouble with, so in theory, the complete opposite would be something I might feel comfortable with :p I'll check it out eventually, I suppose, specially with it being one of the very few Zelda games I have yet to play.

Right now I'm just staring at the Persona 5 preload countdown on my PS4 lol.

I hear ya. Well, hopefully you dig it when you do get to check it out. I find Zelda games are amongst the likeliest for me to feel burned out on when playing them consecutively so maybe it not being the next game you play will suit you well also. (That 1:1 swordplay is a bit missed for me in BOTW, though. I hope we see it again sometime.)

Skyward Sword is the most rigid and cramped entry in the series. It is the anti-BotW. Or rather, BotW is the anti-SS.

It's a very....unique experience and I like it, but it's worlds apart from this game.

Loaded up a big ass map of everything and my laptop died and won't boot up. Need to take it into a repair shop.

BotW killed my laptop 😡

maxcriden

Skyward Sword is the most rigid and cramped entry in the series. It is the anti-BotW. Or rather, BotW is the anti-SS.

It's a very....unique experience and I like it, but it's worlds apart from this game.

I understand where you're coming from. To me, it's rigid in some ways, but there's the sky to explore and some of the regions on the ground, especially Lanayru, offer pretty vast exploration. Lanayru in its entirety has got to be similar to Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field in size (speculating, could be way off. There's some cool stuff there. There are a lot of sidequests. I realize the linearity of the game gives it a cramped feeling, though. The main story is definitely rigid and linear and I think the 1:1 for better or worse adds to that feeling in a way.

Hattori

Banned
I accidentally got sidetracked into Hyrule Castle,
went to Zelda's room and read her diary -- she's way more more endearing now that I know what's going on in her head during the memories.

I understand where you're coming from. To me, it's rigid in some ways, but there's the sky to explore and some of the regions on the ground, especially Lanayru, offer pretty vast exploration. Lanayru in its entirety has got to be similar to Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field in size (speculating, could be way off. There's some cool stuff there. There are a lot of sidequests. I realize the linearity of the game gives it a cramped feeling, though. The main story is definitely rigid and linear and I think the 1:1 for better or worse adds to that feeling in a way.

Lanayru is my favorite region in SS, easily. I wanted to love the sky, but there's so little there to explore. Love Pumpkin Landing though and Skyloft, of course.

I'd actually really like a remaster on Switch.

KayMote

Haha, I just had an enemy line up his jump attack right onto a chest that I was just using magnesis on, so I could let the chest with the enemy on top rise into the air and eventually drop the enemy to the ground from above :D

olimpia84

Not really. I did use a guide for some of the last shrines and quests, but I made it easily to 100+ shrines before I consulted one. There were also things I knew about because I saw them discussed here and elsewhere, I had plenty of friends playing the game as well. If anything I feel like the way I paced myself was very appropriate; I fear if I'd passed the 100 hour mark without, say, having beaten most of the divine beasts I would have burnt myself out. I feel like I had the perfect experience (for me, obviously. I know plenty of people here are content just exploring while I need more "story momentum" to carry me forward throughout a game).

I have no clue how some of you are getting over 100 shrines in that amount of time. I'm 85+ hours in and only have 76 I believe. I'm also at the point where it's really hard to find shrines by just wondering around and looking from atop a mountain.

Speely

Banned
I have made a sport out of keese hunting with boomerangs, just because. Need to find a spot with lots of them. I know I got swarmed once, but I can't remember where. Maybe Akkala?

Edit: other random thoughts:

Barbarian set is the best. Hitting harder per-hit means greater weapon longevity.

I think I will retire in Lurelin Village. It's really lovely.

This game is good. I just did the side quest where you become a
homeowner
, and now I'm helping build a
town
, because why not?

Well, there's always the sky.

Also found a broken rock(pic and pic).

Dude thats hilarious. Awesome bug lol

I have made a sport out of keese hunting with boomerangs, just because. Need to find a spot with lots of them. I know I got swarmed once, but I can't remember where. Maybe Akkala?

Edit: other random thoughts:

Barbarian set is the best. Hitting harder per-hit means greater weapon longevity.

I think I will retire in Lurelin Village. It's really lovely.

Lurelin is nice but I wish I could buy a house in Rito.

Dr.Hadji

I'm always surprised at how the unfamiliarity with a region greatly diminishes my the joy of moving through the environment. Without making the space my own, all I see are rocks, valleys, ponds....... nature. Slowly but surely, the wild become well-trodden spaces. With familiarity, the eye begins to pick up on the subtle cues. You ask what "what is over there" and the results shape how you see the region. It's amazing how a little bit of curiosity compounds into a region transforming in front of your eyes.

duckroll

Remember when the Plateau seemed big?

It still does. I think the Plateau is really an ingenious vertical slice of the game at large. It's extra dense, even considering how dense the entire game is in design. The Plateau in particular is very tight and packed with a combination of elements specifically meant to introduce the player to what to expect in the larger world.

Think I liked Skyward more but I didn't have a problem with that game and I don't really obsess over giant open worlds. It is what it is!

I think I realized why for the first time in 3 years I finally managed to play a single player game more than 10 hours with breath of the wild.... there's very little talking

i got bored of the witcher 3 cause most the 'stuff to do' was talking to people, going to some place, using detective vision, and then talking to someone else, then attacking enemies. With persona 4 half the time you're talking to people. Yeah there's moral choices and strategy involved in that stuff but i dont want to read all that shit. With zelda the entire game is literally ****ing around outside of the divine beast stuff. I'd take a wacky snowball physics puzzle 100% of the time over a really good story side quest that mostly involves detective vision and fighting enemies when it comes to actual gameplay.

I dunno I guess I just use video games as more of a toy to waste time with than an actual art medium to invest in.

Top Bottom