• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Lizardus

Thanks all! Arttemis, I forgot the NPC said that specifically- that should definitely help. Thank you. Skittzo, thanks man, they did say this is how you make monstrous meals but the stuff we attempted it with still became dubious.. but maybe we didn't properly try it in the way Arttemis suggests. So we'll give it another shot! And thanks ag-my001 for the tip also, I don't think we've hit that part of the Tarrey Town overall quest yet.

Thanks man, glad to know it's not just us. Hopefully we can all be glitch-free from now on!

That's a good tip vis a vis just screenshot functionality, thanks man. The problem is though for the Hyrule Compendium when you're trying to complete it and have to kind of slowly delete one pic at a time so you have space to take more pics for the Compendium. I think it would be best if they gave you the save/delete pic option automatically after taking a new Compendium pic; I think the way it is now for new Compendium pics they either auto-save it or only ask you before it's entered into the Compendium. So, it's a bit of a hassle.

There is a way to select multiple pictures and delete them in the Compendium. Not sure on what the buttons but it is there.

LordofPwn

My progress is coming along, just a few things left before going to the end.
1 Beast
9 memories
12 Shrines

As for Kurok seeds
+700 Kurok Seeds still missing, most will stay that way. I've marked a lot on my map and I've been almost everywhere it seems, so I'm curious to figure out what stuff is a puzzle that I don't realize yet.

sazzy

Getting extra ancient parts from dead Guardians :
if there is water under the dead Guardian, use Cryonis to lift the Guardian up for several more ancient parts

Getting extra ancient parts from dead Guardians :
if there is water under the dead Guardian, use Cryonis to lift the Guardian up for several more ancient parts
I could never get this to work. That ability would always be blinking instead of usable once I put it in position.

Just 11 shrines to go. They're getting harder and harder to find. Getting to high places and looking around is no longer cutting it. To top it off, I'm out of shrine quests. I will persevere!

People complaining about the shrine radar "beeping too often" are blowing my mind.

(My opinion now that I've spent the last ten hours tracking down the last 5 shrines. The next time the shrine radar beeps it will be the sweetest sound I have ever heard)

duckroll

People complaining about the shrine radar "beeping too often" are blowing my mind.

(My opinion now that I've spent the last ten hours tracking down the last 5 shrines)

It's actually fairly annoying early in the game, especially when there are lots of shrines in plain sight and it keeps going off as you move towards something you can see from a mile away. I turned it off for a good 10-20 hours after first getting it. I appreciated it a lot more later on when I had cleared all the obvious visible shrines you can see and mark from the towers. So when I'm just exploring a region, if it goes off I get pretty excited now.

So my pro controller came today and I realized how much better the game controls with it. I didn't have any issues with the joycons but holy crap, I feel much more in control of link with the pro controller.

I played for just the first day with the joycons, until my pro controller arrived, and I didn't like them much, but figured it's just because they were new.

But now, after weeks of playing with the pro, the joycons feel like absolute crap. Oversensitive, horrible button placement, sticks click too easily...god they're awful. It's total night and day vs. the pro controller.

Forkball

I did it.

120 shrines.

The saved the last one for Eventide Island. What a fantastic sendoff. And the reward is oh so perfect. If I have one complaint about the ending of the shrine quests, it's
that they didn't save the Forgotten Temple as a location you can only encounter when you go pick up your outfit. It would serve as a great final challenge for those who completed all the shrines, but now you just warp to the shrine there and pick up your treasure.

Not rushing to Ganon quite yet. I want to upgrade my armor, polish off some sidequests, and see if there's any gear I missed. I do need to get the
Dark Link set
from Kilton.

So, beyond these 7 are there any other known Star Fragment locations in the game?

1. Dog in Lurelin Village
  2. Dog at Snowfield Stable
  3. "My Hero" quest at Outskirt Stable
  4. "Balloon Flight" quest at Woodland Stable
  5. Cliff outcropping at Spool Bight
  6. Chest in Thyphlo Ruins
  7. Underwater chest at Hyrule Castle Docks

NEO0MJ

Speaking of the Dark Link set, which monster is the most farmable?

Are stealthfin trout extinct?!

I'm wondering where they are, myself. I never found one while playing normally and now after finishing the game I have yet to find one even though​ I'm visit any nearby water source while adventuring. Guess they're called stealth fin for a reason​.

So, beyond these 7 are there any other known Star Fragment locations in the game?

The Lynel in the Colosseum seems to always drop one whenever I beat him.

I'm wondering where they are, myself. I never found one while playing normally and now after finishing the game I have yet to find one even though​ I'm visit any nearby water source while adventuring. Guess they're called stealth fin for a reason​.

I found several at Lake Saria early on and then they literally never spawned there again. No idea what's up with that. This is after like, months of in-game time, several Blood Moons, full console reboots, etc..

You can find them in Lake Mekar though, which surrounds the Great Hyrule Forest.

I bought
images from the guy at the lab hoping I would get an entree for them to hunt down with the sensor.
I did end up getting the
image, but I went to where it says they're common at and I only found 3 after many hours. I didn't know exactly where in the Eldin Mountains to search though since its all volcanic and hot, no water.
I give up.

Done that several times and never got one. Think you just have crazy good luck, lol.

Did get one once from
one of the Lynel from Oseira Plains though, only time I got a Silver Lynel to drop one. That was one of several times I killed that one though.

I seem to remember reading earlier in the thread that they hang out in a pond by the
Rito village
. Apologies if I am wrong, I've never sought them out.

Correction: the post a few down by Haunted is correct. It's the
Great Hyrule Forest waters
, not the other. Memory got screwed up.

Haunted

It's actually fairly annoying early in the game, especially when there are lots of shrines in plain sight and it keeps going off as you move towards something you can see from a mile away. I turned it off for a good 10-20 hours after first getting it. I appreciated it a lot more later on when I had cleared all the obvious visible shrines you can see and mark from the towers. So when I'm just exploring a region, if it goes off I get pretty excited now.
Exactly this. It's a super annoying sound early on, because there's a shrine every couple steps, but later on it's an invaluable tool. Also love how it ties in with the compendium for material farming, just smart design.

Still think they could've chosen a less obnoxious sound sample. >_<

They're in the waters surrounding
the Great Hyrule Forest.

Pro-tip:
go at night, because they're nearly imperceptible during the day, but actually glow in the dark. :D

I did search there at night though. I only found three inside the
Lost Woods area by one of the shrines that is surrounded by water.
The compendium mentions the
Great Hyrule Forest and Eldin Mountains as the common place to find them. I went all around the water surrounding the forest at night (because I saw that they glowed in the dark) and found nothing.
If I feel like trying again, I'll do it some other time. Thank you all for your advice though!

I guess it's not the worst thing to have one critical post in my sea of praise.

Following the
swords of the statues in the desert
leading to a shrine. Okay, fine.

Solving the puzzle in the
Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and
save a fucking dragon from some gross purple corruption.
aaannnnddd... a shrine. I must admit, this realization that basically everything similar will end like this is growing a bit stale 70 shrines in.

NEO0MJ

Done that several times and never got one. Think you just have crazy good luck, lol.

Did get one once from
one of the Lynel from Oseira Plains though, only time I got a Silver Lynel to drop one. That was one of several times I killed that one though.

It happened to me twice in a row so I thought it was part of his regular spoils, like the flame Sword. Maybe next time I won't be as lucky.

They're in the waters surrounding
the Great Hyrule Forest.

Pro-tip:
go at night, because they're nearly imperceptible during the day, but actually glow in the dark. :D

Like the sneaky snails, then.

Mega

Banned

Following the

Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and
aaannnnddd... a shrine. I must admit, this realization that basically everything similar will end like this is growing a bit stale 70 shrines in.

It's about the journey and the experience. That first one you spoil tagged? I found the shrine in a completely different way from a completely different route.

I have about 80 shrines found without the sensor. I have 1-2 more unexplored regions, a few marked shrines and shrine quests. I'll probably get a little over 90 before I'm stumped, at which point I'll turn the sensor back on.

After 80+ hours, I have only done 44 shrines and completed 2 divine beasts. I shall continue taking it slow as this game is too damn good.

Haunted

I did search there at night though. I only found three inside the
Lost Woods area by one of the shrines that is surrounded by water.
The compendium mentions the
Great Hyrule Forest and Eldin Mountains as the common place to find them. I went all around the water surrounding the forest at night (because I saw that they glowed in the dark) and found nothing.
If I feel like trying again, I'll do it some other time. Thank you all for your advice though!
If you found one already,
take its picture and use the Sheikah Sensor to make finding them easier. :)
Just walking along the outer shore around
the Greater Hyrule Forest
and diving into the water as necessary, I got the ~29 I needed in a single session. Best of luck!

Following the

Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and

Isn't a shrine a good enough reward?

A shrine is basically a heart piece. Those were basically the entirety of rewards in past Zelda games.

But shrines are actually better than that, because they are also a warp point and occasionally have extra loot in them too. And maybe a fun puzzle. And also you get something really cool from finding all the shrines.

ckaneo

Following the

Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and
Odd, what's wrong with Shrines?

Where do you find that dude who takes your korok seeds and gives you weapons/items slot? I met him before but can't remember where. :/

psyfi

Banned

Following the

Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and
I feel you. The predictability of it gets old. I wish this game had more ultra rare weapons and armor to keep things interesting, but then they'd have to retool the durability system, etc. Hopefully they try new things out in the next game.

random25

Following the

Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and

It's a shrine quest, so the reward is basically...a shrine.

Shrines are a big reward in themselves. Basically, you get:
- a spirit orb, used for heart/stamina upgrade
- a shrine treasure. Could be an armor piece, a material for upgrades, or a weapon/shield/bow.
- fast travel point

Also, there's also some extended rewards in some of these. For example,
You freed the dragon at Lanayru, so at any point in the game you can now farm materials from it which you can use either for elixir crafting (it's pretty good material), armor upgrades, or for selling (not ideal, but still you can do that).
There's a lot of tangible and intangible rewards for accomplishing these.

GRW810

Do I HAVE to buy the fire-proof armour from Goron City? I was coping just fine using elixirs in most places around Death Mountain but on my way to the vault I was told the air was too hot and the elixir wasn't enough to stop me combusting.

I don't mind shelling out 3k on the armour if I have to but to pay out and then discover there was a cheaper option would pain me.

Chinbo37

I just wish I had more time to play this game. I hit the 40 hour mark on Saturday and set myself up to explore some new areas but I havent been able to play since then :(

Tonight my wife will go to the gym so once my kid is in bed Ill be all over it.

Fingers crossed.

NEO0MJ

Do you I HAVE to buy the fire-proof armour from Goron City? I was coping just fine using elixirs in most places around Death Mountain but on my way to the vault I was told the air was too hot and the elixir wasn't enough to stop me combusting.

I don't mind shelling out 3k on the armour if I have to but to pay out and then discover there was a cheaper option would pain me.

You don't need the whole armor, just&#8203; one part of it if you're using elixirs or an ice weapon. You can get the torso part for free from the hylian in the mine before the city if you give him 10 fireproof lizards.
If that's not enough buy the pants.

Forkball

Following the

Mushroom Forest
, Another shrine? Oh...

And then I climb
Mt Lanayru
and

It's the journey man, not the destination. A lot of these quests are so fun that completing them in itself is a reward. Plus a shrine guarantees you a boost to your stats and some weapons or even equipment. Not sure what else they could give you that would be of note.

Lizardus

Where do you find that dude who takes your korok seeds and gives you weapons/items slot? I met him before but can't remember where. :/

How many times did you see him?

First time, he is on the way to Kakariko village. Second time, he will be at one of the stables. The third time, he will be in Lost Woods by the Deku Tree. He will stay there for remainder of the game

This is probably the best game ive ever played you guys, just want to make that clear.

There is nothing wrong with shrines., I love them. It's just the realization that every time I start a puzzle I know how it's going to end.

Haven't been to Eventide Island, but I have a guess how it ends. Found some weird ass maze in the corner of the map, wonder what's in the middle. Korok Trials rewards weren't unique to Koroks or something, just shrines.

It's not even a criticism as much as a realization. And when I find something new to solve there won't be some air of mystery about it, I'll know what I'm getting at the end. (Not that's it's a bad reward, just predictable.)

random25

Do you I HAVE to buy the fire-proof armour from Goron City? I was coping just fine using elixirs in most places around Death Mountain but on my way to the vault I was told the air was too hot and the elixir wasn't enough to stop me combusting.

You only need 2 of those to just navigate the entire area without an elixir. You can get one free by a quest. Then just buy the second cheaper part.

mindatlarge

You'll be needing fire-proof armor quite a bit as you'll be spending a good amount of time in the area. I would think relaying on elixirs and cooling weapons, if you choose to get only one piece, would get annoying and burdensome pretty quick. You can easily make that 3,000 rupees back in 10 minutes or so anyways with the mini games.

Edit: Keep in mind too, you'll also get the
Fireproof set bonus
with all three pieces as well.

Top Bottom