• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

stoff

I did the
Yiga Hideout and Gerudo Beast
last night.
I was super confused with Kogah's second phase, where he has the Rocks circling around him. I shot him in the face 100 times but it never occured to me that he had to get hit by one of his own rocks, because I jut rapid-fired 3 arrows as soon as his shield disappeared. It seemed my arrows just stopped to do any damage after a certain point. Weird battle.
The Boss of the Beast however was great and the first one that gave a serious challenge. That fight was super fun.
Unfortunatey I'm done now.
All Beast activated.
Now I'm not sure if I should go for the close or explore some more.

Lizardus

You only need 2 of those to just navigate the entire area without an elixir. You can get one free by a quest. Then just buy the second cheaper part.

That makes me wonder, you get a piece of Zora and Goron armour from sidequests but I had to buy all three pieces of Snowquill armour. Is there a way to get a piece of that for free?

The Gerudo vai outfit was also free.

How many times did you see him?

First time, he is on the way to Kakariko village. Second time, he will be at one of the stables. The third time, he will be in Lost Woods by the Deku Tree. He will stay there for remainder of the game

Yep, saw him first at
Kakariko Village
thanks for the other locations.
Need some inventory space asap. :)

random25

That makes me wonder, you get a piece of Zora and Goron armour from sidequests but I had to buy all three pieces of Snowquill armour. Is there a way to get a piece of that for free?

The Gerudo vai outfit was also free.

I don't think there is. The Warm Doublet basically does 1/3 of the job, though it's non-upgradable and defense is so low.

ASIS

I played for just the first day with the joycons, until my pro controller arrived, and I didn't like them much, but figured it's just because they were new.

But now, after weeks of playing with the pro, the joycons feel like absolute crap. Oversensitive, horrible button placement, sticks click too easily...god they're awful. It's total night and day vs. the pro controller.
I figured the Joy cons would not be "that" ergonomic since the first day I saw it. The placement of the right joy stick and D- buttons are the real criminals.

But, split controllers will always win for me.

TheJoRu

Are Ancient Cores the hardest parts from Gaurdians to obtain?

Yes. Well, there's Ancient Cores (rare) and then there's Giant Ancient Cores (very rare). I actually managed to get both a Ancient Core and a Giant Ancient Core from a single Guardian just an hour ago, which was kinda cool.

Grampasso

T
hunderblight Ganon
was the hardest goddamn boss by far. I actually had to get my shit together to beat him.
I didn't have any wooden shields so that sucked too. The 3rd phase was a bitch.
Took some retries but I ended up beating him. Jesus Christ.
That's strange, I've beaten him on my first try, the moment the guardian
told me that "evading" should have been a better tactic than guarding I knew I had to use the perfect dodge. The thunder phase was a bit chaotic and took me a while to figure out but I managed to survive unscathed, and the last phase is pretty much like the first but he has the electrified weapon. Since the point is evading (with backflip obviously) it didn't pose a major threat at all. Obviously it helped I had the Master Sword, but I did the fight with just 9 hearts of max health, 2nd beast down and onward to explore the desert and the upper Gerudo region (which the game clearly wants you to uncover during the Yiga clan quest)

The Giant ones are much rarer. You'll probably get one Ancient Core for every 3 stalker kills. The Giant Ancient Core drop rate is 1 for every 20 kills or something.

Yes. Well, there's Ancient Cores (rare) and then there's Giant Ancient Cores (very rare). I actually managed to get both a Ancient Core and a Giant Ancient Core from a single Guardian just an hour ago, which was kinda cool.

Well I think I may have sold some ancient cores before I knew you could use them to upgrade your runes. I thought they were useless. Dang.

I'll just add, since the recent patch, I've played a good 3hrs or so, docked and in portable mode and the framerate has been solid throughout.

Grampasso

I re-read my post and realized I should have clarified - when we tried magnesis it did glow and let us magnesis it but it wouldn't budge. Thanks though, I am interested to know where the chest you're thinking of is.
Have you tried to Stasis the chest and then use magnesis on it? It sounds like something that could work... maybe (I've not been there yet)

TheJoRu

(Minor mount spoiler) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8jq15XUAAA7wmU.jpg

This guy's definition of "little" feels a bit off, lol.

Well I think I may have sold some ancient cores before I knew you could use them to upgrade your runes. I thought they were useless. Dang.

Very little in this game is useless, which you tend to slowly realize the more you play. I do sell ores for rupees, but I always keep a fair amount of each one in case they come in handy in some side quest or for armor upgrades etc. later on (which they probably will).

Lizardus

Good source of rupees is just killing any animals you come across and cooking their raw meat/prime meat/gourmet meat. They sell for decent money and isn't hard to come by.

dno_1966

In the Akalla region there's a maze like area, patrolled by flying Guardians, which i always circle round to avoid, is there anything worth having in there?

Koren

OK, the blood moon quest is annoying as hell...

I tried
to reach the disk in time a dozen time, always missing it by mere meters. I finally succeded, and was standing in the middle of the disc when the blood moon animation triggered.

Still nothing happens. Argh, I thought it was annoying to do it, but I had no doubt I was right on the method. Back to planning, but it may be even more annoying :(

random25

I tried
to reach the disk in time a dozen time, always missing it by mere meters. I finally succeded, and was standing in the middle of the disc when the blood moon animation triggered.

Still nothing happens. Argh, I thought it was annoying to do it, but I had no doubt I was right on the method. Back to planning, but it may be even more annoying :(

You probably missed a part of the riddle.
Did you get naked?

Koren

In the Akalla region there's a maze like area, patrolled by flying Guardians, which i always circle round to avoid, is there anything worth having in there?
Depends on your definition of "in", but there's a pretty important thing close to there.

Yeah, something very good and worth sneaking/fighting for.
Well, if you're talking about the
fountain area
, it's not as if you have to sneak/fight, I
reach it paragliding from the Death Mountain, and you can access it just by circling around the area
. So should I understand that I missed something else?

You probably missed a part of the riddle.
Most probably (it's tricky to reply without reading the spoiler... :) ) I'll try again...

Lizardus

Depends on your definition of "in", but there's a pretty important thing close to there.

fountain area
reach it paragliding from the Death Mountain, and you can access it just by circling around the area

Most probably (it's tricky to reply without reading the spoiler... :) ) I'll try again...

Talking about the
Barbarian Helm
in the maze itself.

I tried

It doesn't have to be while the moon is red/during the cutscene by the way. Just during the night of the Blood Moon. I did it after the scene had already passed about a minute prior.

Lilo_D

I tried

Why it's a issue just do whatever you want
When blood moon rise teleport to the shrine nearby and fly over it

Lilo_D

So after 100hrs I still got surprises because now I got to the desert area
You can't even use your map in the sand storm which is pretty scary : O

Anteo

Completely forgot I found it there...

Believe me, I thought I already failed this a lot of time... Apparently, I just missed something (I think I got it, just waiting for another night).

Oh yeah I missed that part of the riddle too. I just reloaded the last auto save before the blood moon and tried again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fountain area

There is one of those in the maze?? Talking about the one in the NE near Akkala? I got the
helm
and other goodies but don't remember that

Mistle

You guys are talking about two different areas. There's a maze-like area patrolled by guardians, right before a spring. It's really not much of a maze tbh. And then there's the proper
labyrinth
nearby.

Koren

You guys are talking about two different areas. There's a maze-like area patrolled by guardians, right before
a spring
. It's really not much of a maze tbh. And then there's the proper
labyrinth
nearby.
Oh, I see... Yes, I was talking about the former, not the latter (and I don't remember anything interesting enough to go inside the one)

The latter, though... There's a LOT of stuff there, and at least something as much interesting as the
helm
... There's a
diamond circlet
there, which is really useful, and the place where you find it is really, really fun...

I can't stop playing this game. I've tried to pare down my play time to one hour a day. Just do a couple shrines or explore an area. Yesterday, I planned to spend my hour exploring the hebra region and
doing a maze up there.
However, en route, my trusted stead, an all black horse named Night passed away in battle against some Bokogoblins on horseback. I was devastated, and was going to load a previous save. But instead,
I spent the rest of my hour trying to track down this Horse God someone told me about once when I was in the jungle. I loved every second of it, and I even had a little extra time after resurrecting my horse to do the giant horse quest that was nearby.
I love getting completely side-tracked in this game, and still having a blast anyway.

Koren

Well, wooden chests don't seem to respawn either. Since there was talk here about respawning chests, I wonder... Is it only for chests that appear when you bomb walls?

GRW810

I was intimidated by Death Mountain and the entire Eldin region for a long time. The heat seemed such a different prospect to any other scenario in Hyrule. I was concerned it looked bare and couldn't imagine doing what I do elsewhere in the world - flying over or riding through to explore every inch of the map. I couldn't imagine finding any Koroks and I hadn't spotted any shrines from a distance as I had with other regions.

However, having visited Goron City and kicked off the main quest there, I've had a great morning playing in the region. I have found Koroks, I have found shrines (some of my favourites so far) and the area isn't as barren as first feared.

The journey to the beast was fun. The
sentries
were irritating and used up tons of arrows, and
accompanying the Goron and stop/go mechanics to avoid detection
was underutilized, but cool in a way.
Using the Goron as a cannonball against the beast was awesome.

I'm inside the beast, activated the map and one terminal but had to save and turn the game off. I'm loving the dungeon movement mechanics so far.

LiK

Finished all dungeons. The
Goron Divine Beast
was my favorite one. Easiest and less convoluted than all the other ones to solve. It was also the last one I did cuz I didn't know how to get to the city at first. I also liked the fight before getting into it. Less action and more action platformy.

Grampasso

Is there anyway to increase picture capacity ?
No but you really don't need those for the compendium, once you register an entry you can delete the shot. If you use the camera for nice scenery instead the built-in system function is much better like someone else pointed out. Unless you really need to take Link out of the picture :p

Boem

sentries
were irritating and used up tons of arrows

I didn't
use any arrows against them. The sentries are all pretty much lined up to have specific ways of defeating them, like rocks you can roll down onto them from the mountain outcroppings above them, and big metal plates/boxes lying around that you can smash into them with your magnetism or stasis powers.

Basically what I did was walk with my goron buddy to a set of sentries, tell him to stop, climb up to look at what the sentries were doing and what their pattern was, and there was always something set up that you can use as a trap against them. After killing them using those environment things I went back, got my buddy, and walked to the next set of sentries. Repeated that until the end.

I thought it was pretty fun, but not combat-heavy at all for me. More like a set of small puzzles that resulted in you taking out those sentries.

No but you really don't need those for the compendium, once you register an entry you can delete the shot. If you use the camera for nice scenery instead the built-in system function is much better like someone else pointed out. Unless you really need to take Link out of the picture :p

You can only use the hilarious
selfie poses
with the camera though.

RRockman

Banned
I was intimidated by Death Mountain and the entire Eldin region for a long time. The heat seemed such a different prospect to any other scenario in Hyrule. I was concerned it looked bare and couldn't imagine doing what I do elsewhere in the world - flying over or riding through to explore every inch of the map. I couldn't imagine finding any Koroks and I hadn't spotted any shrines from a distance as I had with other regions.

However, having visited Goron City and kicked off the main quest there, I've had a great morning playing in the region. I have found Koroks, I have found shrines (some of my favourites so far) and the area isn't as barren as first feared.

sentries
were irritating and used up tons of arrows, and
accompanying the Goron and stop/go mechanics to avoid detection
was underutilized, but cool in a way.
Using the Goron as a cannonball against the beast was awesome.

I'm inside the beast, activated the map and one terminal but had to save and turn the game off. I'm loving the dungeon movement mechanics so far.

Y'know those
sentries
can be killed easily with a metal box in the area. Yes, I wish I knew that before hand too.

Casanova

This game is dangerous for me. It's kinda hard to focus on the big things in life when the little things are so fucking good. My undergraduate research has taken the back seat this week as a result. Still, no regrets - I'm happy.

Stopdoor

Is there anything special about the secret hot springs in Hebra?

Nothing I've found out, I guess the health restoration could be useful if you were doing some weird run without equipment, though the names do count as map percentage completion.

Top Bottom