• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Oh I was just referring to the purchase which I thought was 3K? I guess there are some other things that go with it? Sidequests?

They
don't add anything to the house once you buy it, so you have to purchase the interiors afterwards. The whole house quest triggers a great sidequest series with one of the construction workers, though, so it's worth it!

Oreoleo

Oh I was just referring to the purchase which I thought was 3K? I guess there are some other things that go with it? Sidequests?
You can outfit your house with furniture, decorations etc. I found it wasn't really worth it since by that point I was basically done with that town entirely and never use my house. But there isn't exactly a ton to spend rupees on, and they're easy enough to come by, so why not spend it all.

Chinbo37

You are gonna get a empty house. The extra money is to add furniture. You can also unlock a new quest chain by buying the house.

Ok cool.

On of my favorite things in Wind Waker was getting that private island. I was super stoked in BOTW when I found out you could buy a house.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You are gonna get a empty house. The extra money is to add furniture. You can also unlock a new quest chain by buying the house.
Speaking of that quest [Chinbo37 DON'T READ THIS]
I was disappointed when someone offered to sell me a vacation home in Tarrey Town but it won't let me. :(

shmoglish

I am soooooo superhappy with Persona 5, so I bought Breath of the Wild for the WiiU. May be dumb with my backlog full of great games, still looking Forward to try this game.

random25

I'm 99% sure not a single chest in the game respawns. If you raid bases from the starting areas again or check chests you found in caves later in the game, you'll find nothing there. I think it's the same when you break crates again you've already looted in the past. The crates themselves respawn, but they don't contain anything now. I think you're right that some floating river chests might "respawn", but I believe the content is different, so you can't just mark a chest containing bomb arrows and then revisit it every Blood Moon.

I'm pretty sure they are. I marked some spots that have treasure chests hidden on rocks and I came back to those spots some time and they respawn. And while I don't mark spots in Hylia River, I have swept that place like 3 times and there's always treasure chests underneath every time. While I'm not sure about treasure chests in bases, other overworld treasure chests do respawn. As for contents, I can't remember if they are the same for materials like I said earlier, but for gears, they upgrade at a later point.

Been pokin around the lower left corner of the map for ages and finally decided to make my way toward Gerudo Town, but then got sidetracked with quests and shrines and just soaking in the environment.

In this game it's just so immensely fun to kinda wander. I usually set a loose goal or objective, but then allow myself to get distracted.

One thing I noticed today that I would really appreciate is just one or two expansive underground areas. I guess not dungeons, per se, but just big, subterranean areas.

Nictel

OK how is this for a spin-off: Rebuild Hyrule. They even could go implement the nemesis system where because Ganon is gone the lower moblins and such take over. Throw in Saints Row style base (castle) building and area takeovers.. Will never happen but I'm just gonna go off and dream about it

Question about Dead Mountain:

I have yet to explore that area.
I am about 50 hours in and have avoided it. Is it possible to go to Death Mountain JUST to get heat gear and then hop out or will I be forced to do a Divine Beast to acquire the heat gear? I just want to explore the southwest corner of the map but I need clothing that will accommodate extremely hot temperatures.

stoff

I am about 50 hours in and have avoided it. Is it possible to go to Death Mountain JUST to get heat gear and then hop out or will I be forced to do a Divine Beast to acquire the heat gear? I just want to explore the southwest corner of the map but I need clothing that will accommodate extremely hot temperatures.
Yes. It's the other way around,
you "need" the Gear to do the Beast. Or live off Ice Weapons and Elixirs.

gweemz

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought that
the fire gear at death moutain will not protect you from the desert heat,
and desert heat gear will not protect against the fire in death moutain.

KtSlime

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought that
the fire gear at death moutain will not protect you from the desert heat,
and desert heat gear will not protect against the fire in death moutain.

Being on fire and suffering from heatstroke are two different things in BoTW, wearing short pants will not keep you from burning up

Red

Everyone keeps talking about Kass' questline like it's one large thing, but all I remember is him being in various different places and sometimes he has a new song and sometimes he just wants to sing that stupid cutscene again. Any way to tell how much of his questline I have completed and what I'm missing? No obvious spoilers pls.

There is a book of all his locations that relate to puzzles. In the Washa Bluffs region.

There's a diary near one of his quest that lists all his quests places.
That book doesn't list every quest. I found the book during my second meeting with Kass, but he had a unique
non-shrine puzzle off the coast of the Hateno region, on the top of a tall rock, on one point of a line between Hateno and Evenide (a mid-ocean shrine is the midpoint between them).

giapel

It would be nice if you could write notes on he map rather than just stamps. Maybe that's the new map feature from the DLC

Zips

Anyone notice that the old man's journal in the cabin on the plateau gets new text? Not sure when it switched, but probably after you finish the plateau shrines.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is there one resource/crafting item that you don't really need for anything important (e.g. gear upgrades or really good recipes) you can afford to sell to get many rupees? I'm tired of hovering around 2-3k rupees when most of the purchases I could make right now would cost me exactly that.

About to head for G
oron
C
ity
and hopefully wrap up the final D
ivine
B
east

The game is truly a masterpiece, but I can't help feeling that if they had done the DB/dungeon content slightly differently it would have been elevated even further.

• 120 shrines is just an unnecessary amount, especially when many are repetitive Strength tests. I'm at 54 complete and I honestly can't imagine how another 65 is necessary. I can't even picture where they'll be on the game map!
  • as such, they could easily have cut 20/40 of the Shrines altogether
  • the D
    ivine
    B
    east
    s are really cool but aren't quite deep enough, complex enough or challenging enough. This isn't Shadow of the Colossus
  • while it's a nice idea, the fact that the DBs move around is basically unnecessary. It looks cool but once you're on them it's meaningless (unlike SotC where they can shake you off, reposition themselves, etc)
  • as such, if the DBs were turned into large static buildings/dungeons (like castles etc) and 20/40 Shrines were amalgamated into those dungeons to give them more rooms...
... we'd have a proper unforgettable GOAT on our hands

I'll tell you the one thing I don't like about the shrines and especially the beasts: not being able to climb. For all the talk about "solving problems anyway you want", that feels way too restrictive, almost like I'm playing a different game.

I realized how much I hated that precisely when doing the one you're talking about at the start of your post: because of the lack you can't grab anything, everything feels too slippery, and the core mechanic of the DBs (especially that one) makes it so that you constantly fall off because of it. It feels like a step backward, like Link is gimped or something. Like you had all your powers in Metroid Other M and someone takes away all your toys.

I looked at my "activity log - light" or whatever you wanna call it, lol and I've got over 45 hours into BoTW and I have not even touched the story, I'm only up to
Zora's Domain
. I found immense joy in
grinding to 13 hearts to get the Master Sword, which is amazing
and since then grinding more shrines to get my Stamina up and fill up a 3rd circle. The scenery and setting is second to none.

Gotta say, this is some of the most fun I've had since Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds. Now that I've got ridiculously powerful weapons, might be time to progress the story a bit :)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Where the fuck do I find the Korok guy? I have a bunch of seeds lol

He's right next to the road leading to Kakariko Village. Then, when you give him a few seeds, he says he has to go home. You'll then find him somewhere in the Hyrule plain IIRC (way before the castle though hopefully, otherwise you'd be toast :p). If you give him a few more seeds there, he tells you he has to go home once again - he tells you roughly where that is, btw.

From that point on, he will always be in the same spot:
The Korok forest
, which is located
north east of the castle

He's right next to the road leading to Kakariko Village. Then, when you give him a few seeds, he says he has to go home. You'll then find him somewhere in the Hyrule plain IIRC (way before the castle though hopefully, otherwise you'd be toast :p). If you give him a few more seeds there, he tells you he has to go home once again - he tells you roughly where that is, btw.

From that point on, he will always be in the same spot:
The Korok forest
, which is located
north east of the castle

The second time you meet him, he'll be at
Riverside Stable

Koren

That book doesn't list every quest. I found the book during my second meeting with Kass, but he had a unique
non-shrine puzzle off the coast of the Hateno region, on the top of a tall rock, on one point of a line between Hateno and Evenide (a mid-ocean shrine is the midpoint between them).
Pretty sure it's in the book, since I discovered this one by reading the book...

Although I must miss something, because I can't trigger
his daughter
quest, since apparently it's a thing...

graffix13

So is there any reason to use the camera to take pics of enemies/random wildlife? I am actually having fun doing it, but was wondering if there was a point other than satisfying my OCD need to document everything.

SomTervo

This is actually more related to the design choose by the Zelda team
Because the map is huge so there are such amount of shrines
Because we already have such amount of shrines which contain the puzzle, if the DB is just as complex as the previous game, players may got the puzzle solving fatigue

But I think Zelda will re consider this approach if players are really call for those big dungeons

Of course it's intentional - I'm just saying it's a minor pace/design mistake. It's possible to make poor decisions even at high tiers of design and iteration, it happens to everyone. I'm not blaming them for it; just suggesting a potential improvement in future.

You're not wrong that puzzle fatigue could set in - but I think the sheer quantity of shrines is already causing that for me. I'm saying cut back on the shrines quantity and slot those into the 'main dungeons'.

Not to mention the previous Zeldas had some much larger dungeons and 'fatigue' was never an issue? It's possible to pace the game effectively even with larger D
ivine
B
easts

I'll tell you the one thing I don't like about the shrines and especially the beasts: not being able to climb. For all the talk about "solving problems anyway you want", that feels way too restrictive, almost like I'm playing a different game.

I realized how much I hated that precisely when doing the one you're talking about at the start of your post: because of the lack you can't grab anything, everything feels too slippery, and the core mechanic of the DBs (especially that one) makes it so that you constantly fall off because of it. It feels like a step backward, like Link is gimped or something. Like you had all your powers in Metroid Other M and someone takes away all your toys.

Hmm, this never really crossed my mind actually, but it's not a bad point.

Having actual 'closed' rooftop dungeons for the main dungeons in future games would mean that we can still climb walls and it wouldn't make a difference.

Perhaps earlier in dev they did have some climbable walls in Shrines and it just led to player frustration/failures?

So is there any reason to use the camera to take pics of enemies/random wildlife? I am actually having fun doing it, but was wondering if there was a point other than satisfying my OCD need to document everything.

Yes there is. Perhaps it hasn't unlocked for you yet (think it has though).

I used it for the first time properly last night to find more Fireproof Lizards before heading up Death Mountain.

Forkball

I did it.

I beat it.

I put on the tunic, equipped the Master Sword, grabbed the Hylian Shield from the display in my house, then warped to the Shrine of Resurrection at midnight. I went in a straight line from the shrine to the front door of Hyrule Castle.

Can't formulate my thoughts right now, but even though I've seen a lot of criticisms about the final boss and ending, I am completely satisfied with how it ended.

WHAT A GAME

The book does mention that quest too.

En-ou

So are you mad too when you use your sledgehammer and it can't bust open a shrine door? Your complaint makes little sense.

What you're missing is that climbing has nothing to do with the giant puzzles designed in the beasts and shrines.

The amount of freedom given to solves shrine puzzles is awesome so I have zero clue what you mean by restrictive.

If they create Zelda style temples in future BotW DLC or game climbing will be removed overall or at certain parts. A lot of the puzzles have to do with landscape in temples.

Anteo

I did it.

I beat it.

I put on the tunic, equipped the Master Sword, grabbed the Hylian Shield from the display in my house, then warped to the Shrine of Resurrection at midnight. I went in a straight line from the shrine to the front door of Hyrule Castle.

Can't formulate my thoughts right now, but even though I've seen a lot of criticisms about the final boss and ending, I am completely satisfied with how it ended.

WHAT A GAME

Did you teleport to the shirine of resurection, turned 180° and
grabbed the korok seed there?

Red

Pretty sure it's in the book, since I discovered this one by reading the book...

Although I must miss something, because I can't trigger
his daughter
quest, since apparently it's a thing...

The book does mention that quest too.
Really? I thought I wrote all his clues down in a notebook, but I didn't have that one saved.
Did you go teleport to the shirine of resurection, turned 180° and
what is this

pringles

The more I explore Hyrule Castle the more I'm in awe of that entire location. I've gone in 3 or 4 times now using different points of entry and just keep finding new locations and so much cool stuff. Just discovered
the King's diary
, which adds another extra layer to Zelda's storyline.

jokkir

Anyone else do this in Rito Dungeon (adding to the one higher up on the page)
Take the ball from one side to the other so they can activate the switch that was in the room without doing that sliding puzzle

DonShula

Did you teleport to the shirine of resurection, turned 180° and

Hehe, I found this the other day looking for the bonus chests from the DLC. Not sure I would have seen it otherwise. It did get quite a smile out of me, and I think I even said something out loud to the game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hope people are aware that the library in Hyrule Castle has metal book cases you can move with magnesis to reveal secret areas.
As soon as I saw the library I thought there would be secret passages behind to the books. Then again, I usually scan areas with the runes to look for secrets.

Top Bottom