• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

psychotron

Is there a particular order I should be doing things? I have no memories yet and I've defeated one divine beast...The one in the
Zora
area. Besides that I've done side quests and shrines. Should I be hunting down these memories? The first pic is near
Hyrule Castle
, but it's a pain in the ass around there with all the guardians.

Is there a particular order I should be doing things? I have no memories yet and I've defeated one divine beast...The one in the
Zora
area. Besides that I've done side quests and shrines. Should I be hunting down these memories? The first pic is near
Hyrule Castle
There's no order. Go do something, and if you find out too hard or frustrating, go do something else.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Zora
Hyrule Castle
It doesn't matter what order you do things. Doing at least one memory (doesn't matter which) does get you a nice item though.

If you do want help with the memories then you should
talk to the painter in Kakariko as well as everywhere else you see him.

jokkir

Zora
Hyrule Castle

Do whatever you want. I got an important weapon before I beat the first dungeon. Hell, I beat the game before and after the first dungeon lol.

So I finished a "complete world tour" looking for all the shrines and ended up with 2 missing (including 1 shrine quest). Oh god where could they be??

I do have to say, I don't think any of the shrines I found so far seemed unfair. So far my strategy has been to look for interesting locations on the map I haven't been and prioritize going there.

Some questions for people who have found all shrines.

Is there more than one in Hyrule castle?

Is there more in the lost woods than the trials given to you by the koroks and the central one?

Am I right to assume the the last non-quest shrine will be detectable by shrine detector? Or is it possible you must do something for it to appear yet there is no quest associated with it?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So are you mad too when you use your sledgehammer and it can't bust open a shrine door? Your complaint makes little sense.

No, because they're clearly not doors, and you have a sheikah slate activator right next to them. The thought never occurs. Besides, there's tons of stuff you can't break in the game by just hitting them. Most things, actually. Climbing, on the other hand, is something you can do absolutely everywhere BUT in shrines/dungeons.

But to be fair, it's mostly annoying in beast dungeons because of the mechanic in those places. You feel like you're not in control - which is ironic, considering they're the only place in the game where you can actually control the environment.

What you're missing is that climbing has nothing to do with the giant puzzles designed in the beasts and shrines.

The amount of freedom given to solves shrine puzzles is awesome so I have zero clue what you mean by restrictive.

I'm not missing anything. I understand that the puzzles wouldn't work if you could just climb.

The bigger point I'm making is that, by the way they're designed and (mostly not) integrated into the world, the shrines and beast dungeons feel out of place, like they belong in a different game. They're separate areas, they require loading, they have a different esthetic from the overworld (I'm well aware of the visual cues with the guardian designs, but stlil), and you can't use any of the game's key gameplay mechanics in them. They feel tacked on. I enjoy a good puzzle every now and then, and I actually like that they're now byte-sized and distributed over the entire map, but, either through design and/or because of technical limitations, they break the flow of the game. If Nintendo could at least find a way to remove loading times in the next games, or integrate them in the overworld, that would be better already. I'd also love it if they managed to design puzzles that can work with the climbing mechanic.

If they create Zelda style temples in future BotW DLC or game climbing will be removed overall or at certain parts. A lot of the puzzles have to do with landscape in temples.

I won't miss climbing if they design dungeons in a way that doesn't make you wish you could climb and if those dungeons are more combat-focused, like a mix between a maze and a gauntlet or something. Kinda like Hyrule castle, which I hear is designed a bit like that. Haven't been there yet, so don't take my word for it.

Stopdoor

So I finished a "complete world tour" looking for all the shrines and ended up with 2 missing (including 1 shrine quest). Oh god where could they be??

I do have to say, I don't think any of the shrines I found so far seemed unfair. So far my strategy has been to look for interesting locations on the map I haven't been and prioritize going there.

Some questions for people who have found all shrines.

Is there more than one in Hyrule castle?

Is there more in the lost woods than the trials given to you by the koroks and the central one?

Am I right to assume the the last non-quest shrine will be detectable by shrine detector? Or is it possible you must do something for it to appear yet there is no quest associated with it?

There's only one in the castle.

There's only the ones in the Korok Forest you mentioned, yeah.

And hmm, I can't remember if all non-Shrine quest shrines are on the radar. Probably, but there could be an exception or two.

There's one linked to a minigame in Gerudo that's hidden until revealed, but I forget if it's a Shrine Quest or not.

One tip is there's some custom map someone posted way earlier in another OT that specified the number of shrines in a region, but not the locations, which is a nice middle ground of hints. Probably hard to find that exact map though.

rhandino

Banned
That book doesn't list every quest. I found the book during my second meeting with Kass, but he had a unique
non-shrine puzzle off the coast of the Hateno region, on the top of a tall rock, on one point of a line between Hateno and Evenide (a mid-ocean shrine is the midpoint between them).

That quest is also in the book.

Boney

Banned
There's only one in the castle.

There's only the ones in the Korok Forest you mentioned, yeah.

And hmm, I can't remember if all non-Shrine quest shrines are on the radar. Probably, but there could be an exception or two.

There's one linked to a minigame in Gerudo that's hidden until revealed, but I forget if it's a Shrine Quest or not.

One tip is there's some custom map someone posted way earlier in another OT that specified the number of shrines in a region, but not the locations, which is a nice middle ground of hints. Probably hard to find that exact map though.
Need that map. No luck with the 8 shrines I'm missing

psychotron

There's no order. Go do something, and if you find out too hard or frustrating, go do something else.

It doesn't matter what order you do things. Doing at least one memory (doesn't matter which) does get you a nice item though.

If you do want help with the memories then you should
talk to the painter in Kakariko as well as everywhere else you see him.

Do whatever you want. I got an important weapon before I beat the first dungeon. Hell, I beat the game before and after the first dungeon lol.

Thanks. This is the truest open world I think I've ever played, lol.

I have 8 shrines left, but I refuse to use the sensor. I've found all 112 of them w/o it, and I'm not about to start now!

Edit: I haven't been to the castle yet, but I'm assuming one or two might be found there (don't tell me obvs.)

Thanks for this! I'm going to take one more look around myself and then give up and use this.

I kinda wish there was something like this in game. Like maybe the tower glows a special color after you have found all of the shrines in its region.

Do we know what the "new map feature" is that's planned for one of the DLC packs?

Zora
Hyrule Castle

No order but do yourself a favor and go to Gerudo next. You'll be good from there.

I'm having a hard time tracking 4 memories myself. The last one in the woods, the one with a prayer shring (where there seem to be several small falls behind it)
And another one I can't remember.
Any help would be appreciated :)

No order but do yourself a favor and go to Gerudo next. You'll be good from there.

I'm having a hard time tracking 4 memories myself. The last one in the woods, the one with a prayer shring (where there seem to be several small falls behind it)

For the second one, are there like little statues under a tree?

Boem

Do we know what the "new map feature" is that's planned for one of the DLC packs?

I honestly think it won't be as exciting as some of the theories. They'll probably just make all the collectibles (shrines/korok seeds/missed side quests/whatever else) you missed visible on the map. They do it often for these open world games.

For the one in the woods, check for the painter at Wetland Stable. For the Goddess Statue memory, I think the painter gives you a hint at one of the Akkala stables.

Cartho

Just beaten my second divine beast - Fireblight Ganon. God this game is good. Still only about 20 hours in at the mo as work has been busy and my playtime is limited, but my word it's satisfying. One shot fireblight without too much difficulty but heart was still pumping when he went down. My timing for dodge and parries is terrible though. Feel like I kinda cheesed him by having crap loads of ice arrows - you can keep him stunned ALOT by hitting him with these - from what I heard from mates I don't think I even saw quite a few of his phase 2 abilities. Fun fight though!

Jaagen

So I'm in the shrine in
Korok Forest, just to the left from the Deku Three
and I can't seem to arrange the orbs in the right pattern. I know that I'm suppost to look at
the constellations
but I'm not sure what to look for.

Zora
Hyrule Castle

1414184122206.gif

seriously though the beauty of this game is how open ended it is. just do whatever is fun, if that stops being fun, go do something else that's fun. eventually you'll stumble across memories, main missions, etc

jariw

So I'm in the shrine in
and I can't seem to arrange the orbs in the right pattern. I know that I'm suppost to look at
the constellations

Spoiler 1: The orbs are
counters

Spoiler 2:
Look at the walls...

lyrick

So I'm in the shrine in
the constellations

Is that the Shrine set up in a X/Y coordinate system, with a unique constellation marking one axis and some type of numerical symbols on the other?

So I'm in the shrine in
the constellations
Count how many of the same constellations you see. Also understand the ball placement works like a grid so there are 2 values you are looking for. It took me about 20 minutes to figure this one out but felt very rewarding when I did.

Thanks. This is the truest open world I think I've ever played, lol.
The one thing I'd recommend is to talk to all NPCs you see (in fact, I'd say go out of your way to talk to as many NPCs as you can.) Most of them have useful things to say, be it shrine quests or gameplay tips. They're the closest thing to a manual in this game.

Jaagen

Is that the Shrine set up in a X/Y coordinate system, with a unique constellation marking one axis and some type of numerical symbols on the other?

I think so. There's a 2x5 grid on each side of the room.

I think I know what to do now, based on what the poster above you said.

For the one in the woods, check for the painter at Wetland Stable. For the Goddess Statue memory, I think the painter gives you a hint at one of the Akkala stables.

Man I was so far. I really thought it was in the first area of Resurrection with the woods. Looks so similar. I always try to pay attention to the kind of trees and what area they're found in since that helps but I was far from that one.

The last one I really need help is where it looks like a castle wall with a brown door and some angel statue above. Is that hyrule? Castle?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm in the shrine in
the constellations

This was the last shrine that I did before finishing the game and it was the one thing that I just said "fuck it" and looked up online, haha.

Kaban

Just discovered Akkala region yesterday and wow, (regarding Robbie)
fighting Guardians just became a shit-ton easier.

Also, really pretty region for watching sunsets/sunrises. Took some nice photos there. Really makes me wish Miiverse-sharing was a thing in this game :/

Oh, one other thing, a question regarding a... possible enemy?
I've seen some giant skeletons just sitting around in certain places. Almost looks like the bones of a smaller Hinox... do they activate somehow? Just a yes or no question. If they do animate, I'd rather try and figure it out myself.

Top Bottom