• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
How do people feel about these additional constumes being locked away behind Amiibos? Im sort of torn because I'm a completionist but on the other hand I'm not a serious enough gamer to buy Amiibos as I wouldn't put them on display etc. I'm surprised there isn't a cheaper option for extra costumes in the eShop for a nominal fee.

Yeah, it's dumb that I can't buy these outfits directly at a higher profit margin for Nintendo but a lower price point for me. Everyone would win and I wouldn't have to pick up an amiibo that I don't exactly want. Still waiting for a way to scan amiibo that are in the box. I really don't like opening mine up at all.

Turned off
Miphas Grace
and now Im seeing game over screens like I used to. Good times. Gotta stop playing like a dummy.
Only time I get
Mipha's Grace
activated is if an enemy knocks me down a huge cliff, I run out of stamina and fall down said cliff, or I stop paying attention to stamina during a high up paraglide and fall to my death. Tier 4 armor is too good.

The Argus

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do the Korok puzzles that involve throwing
a rock into the center of a bunch of other rocks in a circle
. They're usually in a river and mine never go far enough. You can't throw when jumping or running, and the potions I've tried do nothing to distance.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do the Korok puzzles that involve throwing
. They're usually in a river and mine never go far enough. You can't throw when jumping or running, and the potions I've tried do nothing to distance.

Stasis

Miphas grace was a mistake. Totally makes finding a fairy feel worthless. Hell, with all the cooking potential, fairies already feel that way.

KahooTs

Maybe if there was some kind of ledge closer to the rock circles for you to work with.

Socreges

Banned
So the deer hunting game in Hateno Village...Is there an actual reward to this? I worked my ass off to kill 9 deer, which I think is all there is out there, and I still got 20 rupees and spoken to as if I missed some. Are there 10?? Is it worth bothering?

Explored those structures at eastern Akkala today. I decided to just go swimming at a small pond and ended up finding a Korok randomly. Wonder how many small pools contain koroks now.

Futureman

Do some areas just not stop raining? I'm along the Zora River trying to climb a mountain and it keeps raining even when it's sunny out.

En-ou

Do some areas just not stop raining? I'm along the Zora River trying to climb a mountain and it keeps raining even when it's sunny out.

some areas are nonstop rain until you complete a puzzle or shrine. and yes, if you've met any zoras they will explain their dilemma to you which has to do with the nonstop rain there.

duckroll

Miphas grace was a mistake. Totally makes finding a fairy feel worthless. Hell, with all the cooking potential, fairies already feel that way.

Yes, I definitely agree with this. But it's not just fairies, it's combat in general. I feel that encounters were all developed in part to have that shock value of punishing a careless player hard when you don't pay attention and just try to rush something only to get KO'd on the first mistake. With Mipha's Grace, you are protected from that and once you get back on your feet it's very unlikely you will lose that encounter. It trivializes a lot.

Got my house! Small victories. Making small objectives for each play session is really rewarding, honestly. It makes
me appreciate each thing I accomplish.

I bought a handful of extra amiibo once I found out how they interacted with the game and though I'm happy to have the gear I know it's all vanity stuff. Like even if you don't buy amiibo you're not exactly missing out on super OP things.

kneePat

Yes, I definitely agree with this. But it's not just fairies, it's combat in general. I feel that encounters were all developed in part to have that shock value of punishing a careless player hard when you don't pay attention and just try to rush something only to get KO'd on the first mistake. With Mipha's Grace, you are protected from that and once you get back on your feet it's very unlikely you will lose that encounter. It trivializes a lot.

Good thing you can disable it.

I think it should have worked like a regular fairy and only restore around 5 hearts, which would still make it useful but not as overpowered as it is now.

duckroll

Wait, what? How do you disable Mipha's Grace?

Can you disable all the powers?

Yes. Just go into the inventory and "use" them on the special items section. They all have a toggle. It's cool. Turning off the lightning attack is so useful when you just want to do normal charge attacks with weapons hahaha.

Meh, its not bad, it's a 30 minute cooldown.

Food is a much worst offender to combat scenarios than Miphas grace, I could eat two Miphas grace worth of hearts whenever I want, one after the other

dish_03_04.jpg

Death in games is trivial. You know what the difference is between dying, trying again and winning vs having your hearts refilled and winning?

Loading times.

Thankfully, the game is all about choice.

Food is a much worst offender to combat scenarios than Miphas grace, I could eat two Miphas grace worth of hearts whenever I want, one after the other

Yeah exactly. I am rocking 12 full recovery meals in my inventory right now and could probably cook up another 20 right now.

Speely

Banned
Armor getting closer. Found the last great fairy and paid her off (what a price jump!) Upgraded the stealth set fully, but gotta do some ingredient, lynel, and dragon hunting for the rest.

Once I upgrade the Barbarian set fully, I am going to kick more ass than one should ever kick. I am swimming in lynel, guardian, and royal weapons already.

Question:
Is the Wild set I have seen referenced a more endgame/conpletionist type thing? Just a yes, no, or kinda, please. It seems elusive and I wanna preserve some of the mystery that's left. Given the name, I figure it is special.

I will add that if you haven't learned how to parry a beam or learned how to avoid a running Lynel horizontal swing, it doesn't matter if you have three hearts or 27 and a refill, you're not progressing. With 27 hearts and a refill, you're just getting destroyed across 54 hearts.

kneePat

I agree about food being the worst offender. When you figure out that from max health no enemy can kill you in one shot, armor and heart containers become trivial. Stay at 3 hearts, and the resource cost of filling up your health to max is very low. A simple pause to bring up the menu and eat a couple hyrule herbs and the consequences of combat balance is thrown out the window.

I also find it quite silly how not only is their a damage ceiling but a damage floor. But the damage ceiling doesn't apply if you have max health. Go figure.

Its funny to talk about balance when the game is essentially about finding a middle ground where you please both the hardcore and casual audience. I think they've done it about as brilliantly as possible.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Armor getting closer. Found the last great fairy and paid her off (what a price jump!) Upgraded the stealth set fully, but gotta do some ingredient, lynel, and dragon hunting for the rest.

Once I upgrade the Barbarian set fully, I am going to kick more ass than one should ever kick. I am swimming in lynel, guardian, and royal weapons already.

Question:
Is the Wild set I have seen referenced a more endgame/conpletionist type thing? Just a yes, no, or kinda, please. It seems elusive and I wanna preserve some of the mystery that's left. Given the name, I figure it is special.
Yes.

Speely

Banned
I will add that if you haven't learned how to parry a beam or learned how to avoid a running Lynel horizontal swing, it doesn't matter if you have three hearts or 27 and a refill, you're not progressing. With 27 hearts and a refill, you're just getting destroyed across 54 hearts.

Yep. The game just becomes a cooking sim at that point.

On a related note, I hope Hard Mode gives Link a limited appetite. You can only eat so much, right?

Awesome, thank you Fuzzy.

I agree about food being the worst offender. When you figure out that from max health no enemy can kill you in one shot, armor and heart containers become trivial. Stay at 3 hearts, and the resource cost of filling up your health to max is very low. A simple pause to bring up the menu and eat a couple hyrule herbs and the consequences of combat balance is thrown out the window.

I also find it quite silly how not only is their a damage ceiling but a damage floor. But the damage ceiling doesn't apply if you have max health. Go figure.

Its funny to talk about balance when the game is essentially about finding a middle ground where you please both the hardcore and casual audience. I think they've done it about as brilliantly as possible.

For sure. Top to bottom, left to right, they gave the player the choice on how to play this game on so many layers. You wanna dark souls it? Have at it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
How do people feel about these additional constumes being locked away behind Amiibos? Im sort of torn because I'm a completionist but on the other hand I'm not a serious enough gamer to buy Amiibos as I wouldn't put them on display etc. I'm surprised there isn't a cheaper option for extra costumes in the eShop for a nominal fee.

Not really too fussed, then again I own Smash Bros Link and the twilight princess costume was the only one I wanted.

Though I do want Smash Zelda, Breath of the Wild Zelda and Toon Zelda but they are hard to find so I am just waiting till they get a reprint.

Turned off
Miphas Grace
and now Im seeing game over screens like I used to. Good times. Gotta stop playing like a dummy.

I have Miphas Grace turned off and I never once saw the Game Over screen, even when I first started.

I am starting to believe that it doesn't exist.

So the deer hunting game in Hateno Village...Is there an actual reward to this? I worked my ass off to kill 9 deer, which I think is all there is out there, and I still got 20 rupees and spoken to as if I missed some. Are there 10?? Is it worth bothering?

I tend to avoid doing side quest in the game as the rewards are not worth it for the amount of effort you do.

Which is a shame I use to love doing side quest in past Zelda games but Breath of the Wild is the only one where I straight up stopped doing it.

Yes. Just go into the inventory and "use" them on the special items section. They all have a toggle. It's cool. Turning off the lightning attack is so useful when you just want to do normal charge attacks with weapons hahaha.

Go into your inventory and click on it. You can disable each of them individually keeping only the ones you want.

I already finished the game, but I will definitely turn them all off next time.

Except for Revali's Gale, I guess.

Daruk's Protection, in particular, annoyed the hell out of me. Between that and Mipha's Grace, Link is basically unkillable. Let alone with 4 star armor and stuff. The only thing killing Link at this point is heart disease.

That's probably the biggest reason I'm excited for challenge mode. Even if it doesn't make major changes to the game balance, there are things I will do very differently to preserve the challenge.

duckroll

You can, but you would have to eat them before you die. That was my point when I explained why I feel it threw a wrench into the balance of combat design in the game. A lot of what makes the game "hard" is the appearance of challenge because people don't expect to die so suddenly and quickly in a modern Zelda game. Enemies do a lot of damage if you're not careful and wandering around in low-tier armor sets because of their other benefits. I think that this surprise element is cool, like you're just lazily trying to explore a region, see some enemies and go "whatever" and suddenly BAM one hit kills you and that moment of a Game Over screen makes you reflect on your rash actions. If you fail to die and get to 1 heart, sure, you could just eat. But with Mipha's Grace, it negates these moments completely and makes Hyrule feel much safer to explore even if you're being reckless. I guess it makes sense though, because... that's what it's like to have a wife looking after you. :p

KahooTs

I don't bother ever self healing anymore,
Mipha just revives me with full hearts whenever I run out. It's just a convenience upgrade.

In a game when you can pause and full heal without any limitations Mipha/fairies never had much use. Stop you getting surprise one shotted, but what don't you know hits as hard as it does if you've finished the Zora part?

Instro

Pretty terrible practice, one of the worst around. It's bad enough to have day 1 DLC like that, but then to also lock it behind stupid trinkets is even worse.

Top Bottom