• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

bumpkin

Working on upgrading a certain set of armor...

Where/when is the best spot to collect scales and such from Naydra? I tried hanging out on Mount Lanayru (sp?) late at night but can never nail down where he/she spawns and at what time of day.

So what's the best method/place to get arrows?

better to just buy them out in each city or is there a really good spot that's worth your time to keep farming them?

random25

better to just buy them out in each city or is there a really good spot that's worth your time to keep farming them?

The road to Zora's Domain has monsters that drop arrows x5 bundles. If you wipe them all out, you'll probably end up with more than a hundred.

Spinifex

Find a bunch of mounted bokoblin archers, agrro them and just run around a tree. You'll have 300 arrows in maybe 10 minutes.

Working on upgrading a certain set of armor...

Where/when is the best spot to collect scales and such from Naydra? I tried hanging out on Mount Lanayru (sp?) late at night but can never nail down where he/she spawns and at what time of day.

There is a place called East Gate near MT. Lanayru where Naydra flies right over and you can stand on the archway and get perfect shots at all pieces of the dragon. It spawns after 9PM til about 3 am. Only problem is the lynel nearby that you'll need to dispatch. Otherwise maybe you can stand on the hill nearby but won't get as clear of a shot.

watershed

Banned
I defeated a striped white lynel yesterday. In a way, it was my greatest achievement in BOTW. It was a tough, tough fight and I ended up using a lot of my weapons. Good fight.

Best way to finish those is to get a Savage Lynel bow. They only consume 1 arrow but shoot 5, so OP.

Oh man I have two of those and I totally forgot to use them. Then again it would be so embarrassing using up half of its durability on one stupid puzzle lol.

I just couldnt gauge the distance properly. Had to experiment with angle and timing. It was also one of those where you couldnt move from the pinwheel. Sometimes Id accidentally move forward and the balloon would disappear. Grrr.

Stopdoor

It's pretty weird, I couldn't satisfy the basic course but got a stellar rating from her on the advanced course. Must have been missing some obvious path.

Crayolan

Basic course is actually much tougher than the advanced course. The time requirement is
45 seconds
but as far as I can tell the fastest possible time is like a second or two below that.

Literally just started this, a few questions;

Is it possible to remap the jump button to Y or A? Or is is just B and X ?

Um how to doge or roll lol?

Having a blast so far. No life between this and amazing horizon !

random25

Literally just started this, a few questions;

Is it possible to remap the jump button to Y or A? Or is is just B and X ?

Um how to doge or roll lol?

Having a blast so far. No life between this and amazing horizon !

Only B and X can be swapped.

To dodge, hold the lock-on button (ZL) then jump with a direction. Jumping sideways will do a sideways dodge, jumping back will do a backflip. If you are holding a one-handed weapon or no weapon, holding ZL also raises your shield to block attacks (if you have shield equipped). If you press A while holding shield, you can also parry attacks.

jepense

You can, but you would have to eat them before you die. That was my point when I explained why I feel it threw a wrench into the balance of combat design in the game. A lot of what makes the game "hard" is the appearance of challenge because people don't expect to die so suddenly and quickly in a modern Zelda game. Enemies do a lot of damage if you're not careful and wandering around in low-tier armor sets because of their other benefits. I think that this surprise element is cool, like you're just lazily trying to explore a region, see some enemies and go "whatever" and suddenly BAM one hit kills you and that moment of a Game Over screen makes you reflect on your rash actions. If you fail to die and get to 1 heart, sure, you could just eat. But with Mipha's Grace, it negates these moments completely and makes Hyrule feel much safer to explore even if you're being reckless. I guess it makes sense though, because... that's what it's like to have a wife looking after you. :p
I have the combat powers turned off, but Mipha on. If I mess up and have it activated, I consider having seen a game over except I don't have to load the game again. This means I'll normally abandon the battle if it happens. I also almost always rock my 2 star climbing gear, since I find that to be a nice level of challenge. I think it's fine to give survival tools and grinding possibilities to the players who need them.

Memles

Got down to the last Ten Shrines tonight—two are Shrine Quests, and the other eight are...I don't even know, honestly. I've been doing the smart thing and going to areas where there seems to be a "gap" between shrines, but it hasn't been working all that effectively. (I also turned on the Sheikah Sensor, which I had turned off for most of the game).

We'll see at what point I break down and use a guide—are there any sites that have listed the number of shrines in each "region" so I'd be able to narrow my search without necessarily spoiling exact locations?

Only B and X can be swapped.

To dodge, hold the lock-on button (ZL) then jump with a direction. Jumping sideways will do a sideways dodge, jumping back will do a backflip. If you are holding a one-handed weapon or no weapon, holding ZL also raises your shield to block attacks (if you have shield equipped). If you press A while holding shield, you can also parry attacks.

Thanks for the info! Wow didn't even know I could lock on lol.

Disheartening about the jump button, it's kinda awkward when try to run and jump but that's a small complaint.

Really cool game so far glad I got a switch.

Man, you guys weren't kidding about there being good equipment available in Hyrule castle. Most of it isn't even that well guarded. The elemental weapons are quite fun to use.

The snowy mountain areas are so much more fun to explore now that I don't have to heal every minute haha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good progress yesterday. Got the tower for the hyrule area, found two memory spots and a clue to another, and found the Korok forest.

Guardians are doable now but still scary. And because you don't seem to get weapon drops from them I was running low on melee weapons because they were all breaking. Needed to go and farm bokoblins and live with low level crap for a while.

Question about
tempered power
shrine. Is the chest doable? I broke two hammers trying that and was either too short or too long. Stasis just isn't set up for accuracy which makes it annoying for things like this.

Another question - does anyone tell/hint how many hearts you need for
the master sword
? I know because I think I read it here, but my kids won't know so are you just supposed to trial and error it? The warnings around it are pretty severe and likely to put people off

R00bot

Good progress yesterday. Got the tower for the hyrule area, found two memory spots and a clue to another, and found the Korok forest.

Guardians are doable now but still scary. And because you don't seem to get weapon drops from them I was running low on melee weapons because they were all breaking. Needed to go and farm bokoblins and live with low level crap for a while.

Question about
tempered power
shrine. Is the chest doable? I broke two hammers trying that and was either too short or too long. Stasis just isn't set up for accuracy which makes it annoying for things like this.

the master sword
? I know because I think I read it here, but my kids won't know so are you just supposed to trial and error it? The warnings around it are pretty severe and likely to put people off
I didn't see any hints for it anywhere so I assume you're meant to trial and error it.

random25

Question about
tempered power

the master sword

The chest is doable, though I just got it with some luck. The trick I hear from others is
to hit the orb 5 times with a hammer and once with a sword

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The chest is doable, though I just got it with some luck. The trick I hear from others is
to hit the orb 5 times with a hammer and once with a sword

Ok. Will the chests in shrines resoawn at a blood moon (or I could get a hammer at my house I think)? Switching weapons sounds right on time even with upgraded stasis

random25

Ok. Will the chests in shrines resoawn at a blood moon (or I could get a hammer at my house I think)? Switching weapons sounds right on time even with upgraded stasis

Nope, at least for the main treasure chests. I don't think those respawn too.

finished the game, ranks up around mario galaxy, 64, alttp and metroid prime for nintendo games to me. 160 hours, possibly the only time in my life i poured this much in just a month.

The game has a very good sense of progression where it basically is the player's progression. At first i couldn't even handle the radius of the bombs and would kill myself because of that, at the end of game i parry enemies like it's nothing, destroy guardians with just my shields.

I also love the screen capture feature, i think i got close to 900 photos taken. Only wished the rune camera let me properly take photos without the filter. I think the limit is 1000 right? Will get an sd for mario odyssey and future titles.

Got all of the compendium, paid quite the amount to get everything lol, loved reading it too, it felt like piklopedia zelda. I also got a
letter with a photo
, do i do anything with it?

It's going to be fun to replay the game too. But i will wait a while to do that (for hard mode etc). What do you want out of the story/dungeon dlc? I hope we can get to the many cities and have many different dialogues, it would be cool to play as zelda. The dugeon is going to be interesting too. Hope they release details about both soon.

In the end, I gave up searching for the last 2 shrines on my own. I'd spent so long searching for them that I think I've collected around 70 korok seeds just while searching for these last 2. I decided I needed a hint.

So I looked at that map which lists the number of shrines in each region. Turns out I missed one in gerudo highlands and one in central hyrule. I guess that's not so surprising, since these are some of the regions I spent the least time in.

My search begins again tomorrow with renewed hope. Though honestly, I'm worried about finding the one in central hyrule. It's hard to imagine where it could be since the region is so flat and pretty barren. And yes, I did find the one
in hyrule castle
already.

Ossom

How do people feel about these additional constumes being locked away behind Amiibos? Im sort of torn because I'm a completionist but on the other hand I'm not a serious enough gamer to buy Amiibos as I wouldn't put them on display etc. I'm surprised there isn't a cheaper option for extra costumes in the eShop for a nominal fee.

I don't mind it personally. They are never going to please everyone.

Some people won't like having content hidden behind amiibo. However others will moan if there isn't any value behind their amiibo.

Chinbo37

How do people feel about these additional constumes being locked away behind Amiibos? Im sort of torn because I'm a completionist but on the other hand I'm not a serious enough gamer to buy Amiibos as I wouldn't put them on display etc. I'm surprised there isn't a cheaper option for extra costumes in the eShop for a nominal fee.

I hate it :(

I refuse to buy amiobos. Well not true I have a yarn yoshi one but i never use it for its actual purpose I just liked the way it looked.

Anyways I dont want any amiiboos but i do want the costumes. I just figure when I do my next playthrough in a couple of years on CEMU I can experience the costumes that way.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't mind it personally. They are never going to please everyone.

Some people won't like having content hidden behind amiibo. However others will moan if there isn't any value behind their amiibo.
I liker how you depict both sides fairly and equally.

_Clash_

I'm usually pretty collected in Zelda dungeons, and although i didn't *struggle* with the divine beasts, they really stressed me out

I think the dungeon/map mechanics got to me because of how many different states existed in the dungeons, although ultimately solving the dungeons wasn't nearly as complex as they could have been

Anyone get a similar vibe?

DeathPeak

Ok, aside from the rain, here's one thing that has annoyed me (total minor gripe):
Yiga Clan Hideout. I had come from the opposite end with the big well. Spent forever trying to figure out how I get in. Then, I realized you come in from that other end. Fair enough, but then you go through the hideout just to end up back outside where I tried to get in from the first place. Seemed dumb to me. They couldn't have kept the whole back portion enclosed? Kohga should have shown up even from coming from the back.

Grampasso

Ok, aside from the rain, here's one thing that has annoyed me (total minor gripe):
Yiga Clan Hideout. I had come from the opposite end with the big well. Spent forever trying to figure out how I get in. Then, I realized you come in from that other end. Fair enough, but then you go through the hideout just to end up back outside where I tried to get in from the first place. Seemed dumb to me. They couldn't have kept the whole back portion enclosed? Kohga should have shown up even from coming from the back.
Lol I hate when that happens.

Top Bottom