• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

hiryu64

So now that I've cleared all four Divine Beasts, here's my personal ranking for each main quest sequence:

-Goron
-Zora
-Gerudo
-(This section intentionally left blank)
-Rito

Was anyone else as disappointed with the Rito quest as I was? It felt very anemic and undercooked compared to the other three.

maxcriden

Reposting these hoping for a reply if anyone has a chance.

Use the raincoat armor set.

Is that a thing?

man the rain is annoying as hell

it won't stop raining in this 1 area wtf omg

That is a puzzle

Kass shrine quest?

--

So on an entirely different note, after seeing you guys talking about the Three Trees at times and not figuring out what to do with them ourselves, we looked up what you do. And...I'm really glad we did. I can safely say I not ever would have figured out there was a puzzle there or what to do with them. The website we landed on had a whole list of the Korok Puzzles (warning autoplay review):

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/korok-...nd-hestu-and-how-solve-puzzles-all-900-587100

Some of the Korok puzzle types we had not noticed at all, and I was wondering if maybe they were...if there was just some other way we'd been getting the same ones...?

Koroks are hidden within natural objects. Pay particular attention to small rock formations at the top of mountain peaks, or whatever location that particularly stands out. At the same time, Koroks may be hidden within ice blocks you must melt, underneath a rock slab that must be lifted by an Octo balloon, behind destructible rocks and pots and more.

Wait so like... there are ones you need
Octo balloons
to get? You can't just
lift the rock slabs with stasis? If I'm thinking of the same ones (like there's a lot like this around the Faron tropical area) you can just get them with stasis. Maybe these are different ones though?

I'm not sure I follow what they mean by
"pay attention to small rock formations."
Do they just mean the ones where you lift a single rock? Or is there something else? (Later in the article they talk about the pattern ones so I'm assming they don't mean that.)

(YELLOW CIRCLE) Boulders: Large boulders must be moved away in order to uncover Korok. Sometimes the builders are located at the top of a hill and must be rolled off a cliff to complete the puzzle. Cast Stasis on the builder and hit the builder to give it enough force to start rolling. A variation of the Boulders puzzle involves metallic boulders. Use Magnesis to arrange the metal boulders.

So...we have like 100+ Korok seeds and I don't understand which ones he's referring to. You get a Korok for
rolling a boulder?
Maybe we are just doing these a different way?

)PURPLE CIRCLE) Circle: Objects arranged in a circle, most often as rock formations jutting from water, actually form a sort of target for Link to aim at. Your goal is to throw a rock into the circle. Take a Korok once you hit the bullseye. Variations of the puzzle involve other circle formations over water, such as water lilies.

The
lillies
we eventually got but we just
jump in those from up high.
I never even thought of
throwing a rock in a circle.
Which
rock formations in water
should we be looking for to find these? I don't think we've ever seen ones like this...and we've been over at least 1/3 of the map on foot by now I think.

(RED TRIANGLE) Race / Horse Hurdles: If you find a tree stump with a leaf symbol, hop on the stump to begin a race. Race through a ring before the countdown ends. Sometimes, the puzzle will feature a series of fences that you must jump over while riding a horse. Complete the objective before time runs out to get your Korok.

The
ring ones we've seen.
Never seen the
horse ones, though.
Are there a lot of those?

I skipped the other types that we knew about, but they're at the link. Thanks in advance for any tips re: the above.

DrArchon

So now that I've cleared all four Divine Beasts, here's my personal ranking for each main quest sequence:

-Goron
-Zora
-Gerudo
-Rito

Was anyone else as disappointed with the Rito quest as I was? It felt very anemic and undercooked compared to the other three.

Incredibly undercooked, which is a shame because the visuals of
flying along side Medoh dodging lasers
are really cool. But yeah, it's just like "Go to the town -> talk to this one guy -> talk to this other guy -> Divine Beast". Which is a far cry from all of the build up that all of the others got.

I wonder why.

Pinky

Banned
Finally got my heart container total up to 13 and
pulled the Master Sword last night
. Feels good man. Immediately went to Hyrule field and slaughtered 6 Guardians.
Chopping off their legs and watching them flounder about is sweet, sweet redemption, considering all the hell they've put me through.
This is my money maker right here. Gonna kill these over and over, salvage their parts and SELL SELL SELL!!!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I got the 30th Anniversary Link Amiibo and a friend of mine got a bunch of other Link ones. We are trying to get the
costumes
but so far I've only been able to get the
Tunic of the Wind
. This is gonna take forever, haha!
If you wanted to cheat you could

scan Amiibo
didn't get an outfit piece?
load save
scan Amiibo
repeat until you get an outfit piece

You'd have them all in 3 days without touching your Switch's date. You could get them all in 1 day if you adjusted the Switch's date.

Boney

Banned
I've never gotten horse koroks and I'm at 470.

Terms of water koroks
there's the water lily ones you got and also ones where 4 rocks form a small diamond and you throw a regular rock (there's always plenty nearby) inside it.

Boulders you
push them and they have to roll into a hole the size of the Boulder, which is just below it).

Found a pretty cool one involving magnesis yesterday
there were three little metal rocks, two on top of rocks by a river and a third one tied by a chain to another Boulder underwater. You just have to put the third Boulder on top a third rock in a triangle shape but the length of the chain makes it tricky so I couldn't figure it out the first time.

Got a new shrine yesterday, one I had passed by in Hebra but somehow got distracted, (probably by a dragon) and forgot to go back to it. 112, with one memory to go so I can get the one by Kakariko. But still 7 to go :/

pringles

111 Shrines
400 Korok Seeds
6 sidequests missing
2 shrine quests missing

I'm reaching that point where I'm absolutely left baffled as to where I'm supposed to find the shrines and quests I'm missing..

Boney

Banned
111 Shrines
400 Korok Seeds
6 sidequests missing
2 shrine quests missing

I'm reaching that point where I'm absolutely left baffled as to where I'm supposed to find the shrines and quests I'm missing..
Which shrine quests are you missing?

pringles

Which shrine quests are you missing?
I've no idea, I don't want to look anything up online.. yet. But I'm pretty sure one should be a
Kass
quest, I just can't find it. Is he somewhere in the
Hebra
region? That's probably where I've explored the least, hoping/expecting a few of my remaining shrines are there.

Anteo

I've never gotten horse koroks and I'm at 470.

Terms of water koroks
there's the water lily ones you got and also ones where 4 rocks form a small diamond and you throw a regular rock (there's always plenty nearby) inside it.

Boulders you
push them and they have to roll into a hole the size of the Boulder, which is just below it).

there were three little metal rocks, two on top of rocks by a river and a third one tied by a chain to another Boulder underwater. You just have to put the third Boulder on top a third rock in a triangle shape but the length of the chain makes it tricky so I couldn't figure it out the first time.

Got a new shrine yesterday, one I had passed by in Hebra but somehow got distracted, (probably by a dragon) and forgot to go back to it. 112, with one memory to go so I can get the one by Kakariko. But still 7 to go :/

Ha I found that korok puzzle one yesterday too. I used stasis + magnesis to solve it

En-ou

Yes, I definitely agree with this. But it's not just fairies, it's combat in general. I feel that encounters were all developed in part to have that shock value of punishing a careless player hard when you don't pay attention and just try to rush something only to get KO'd on the first mistake. With Mipha's Grace, you are protected from that and once you get back on your feet it's very unlikely you will lose that encounter. It trivializes a lot.
Treat it like a newbie mechanic. Turn it off if you want more of a challenge. Options in games that allow a player to toggle is never a bad thing. You only have yourself to blame if you sneak during the night and eat cookies, not whoever made the cookies.

Unicorn

-Goron
-Zora
-Gerudo
-Rito

I've only done Zora and Rito, and although the payoff on Rito is good, I stopped playing for a couple days, thinking the game was just okay. I've come back last night and have been having a lot more fun ignoring dungeon stuff for now. Stoked for the next to towns. Rito village totally felt simple and not in a good way.

Firebrand

Need some help with the final boss

What are the options to take Calamity Ganon down when he turns orange? I've tried deflecting his lasers with a shield, but they just deflect into the walls. Do you just try to dodge his attacks and flurry him until he dies?

Guessing you've already beaten it by now, but:

Took me a while to get through this. From what I've gathered, the available options are:
- Flurry
- Parry laser, don't know if you can parry the melee ones
- Daruk's Brotection
- Urbosa's Fury
- Using Gale or the fire updraft to slow-mo attack with arrows just as he attacks and drops the shield momentarily, I think this should stun him as well but haven't tested.

Parrying the laser ought to be the easiest one to do, alas, I had no idea you could even parry Guardian lasers at this point, haha.

I thought that one was pretty neat. While it's probably doable without it, when it clicked I could use
Stasis on one end of the boulder chain
it was simple.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is this all of the additional objectives you can do in this game that aren't the main quest?

Korok seeds
Shrines/shrine quests
Side quests
Eventide Island
Fighting Lynels and other big ass monsters
Labyrinths

Is this list missing anything?
As far as I know:
Mounting or seeing the special mounts
Your house + Tarry Town questline
Getting dragon items
Getting all fairies

Anteo

Guessing you've already beaten it by now, but:

Took me a while to get through this. From what I've gathered, the available options are:
- Flurry
- Parry laser, don't know if you can parry the melee ones
- Daruk's Brotection
- Urbosa's Fury
- Using Gale or the fire updraft to slow-mo attack with arrows just as he attacks and drops the shield momentarily, I think this should stun him as well but haven't tested.

Parrying the laser ought to be the easiest one to do, alas, I had no idea you could even parry Guardian lasers at this point, haha.

You can parry the
lance he throws, you can also parry the fire orb that explodes.

jariw

111 Shrines
400 Korok Seeds
6 sidequests missing
2 shrine quests missing

How do you see how many side quests you are missing?

Firebrand

You can parry the
lance he throws, you can also parry the fire orb that explodes.

Oh that's neat. I wonder how many people's first instinct is to
hit the orb with the sword
, haha, alas I tried that on the earlier boss and it did not go very well.

lyrick

Last night I used an online map to find my last 4 evasive shrines last night. Three were very close to shrines I has already completed and one was near a river outlet that somehow I bypassed after roughly 130 hours of running around. I received the reward for shrine completion and upgraded some parts with stuff that happened to be in my inventory.

This morning I started the game again on a new profile. I'm not ready to be done.

Sh0k

111 Shrines
400 Korok Seeds
6 sidequests missing
2 shrine quests missing

Is there a way to tell how many sidequests and shrine quests are in the game?

LordofPwn

118 shrines
200+ Seeds
4 divine beasts
1 memory photo left
If i can finish up shrines and memories tonight I may just go finish it. might come back and do the rest of the sidequests later. close to 100 hours in.

boxter432

someone with better pic/gif posting skills than I should post Arby's facebook post. it's BOTW related and pretty awesome.

ojOppLT.png

Takat

Completed the Ishto Soh shrine yesterday. I'm going to put the rest of my post in spoilers.

This shrine stumped me more than any of the other 75 I had completed until that point. It all seemed very straight forward at first; an orb in the middle of the floor which moved platforms up and down.

Once I had the platforms on the back wall in place I walked back up the ramp and sailed down onto them. I then used arrows to hit the orb to raise and lower the platforms until I walked to the end.

Then came the tricky part. There's a stairway behind a fence, which requires the orb to be activated three or four times to climb. I tried everything, including placing both bomb types and remotely detonating and firing arrows through and over the fence.

I just couldn't work it out. There's a floor tile sliding back and forth in front of the orb, but the only thing I could see to do with it was stasis. This seemed to be of no benefit so I started getting frustrated.

The really clever thing about the level -
and the solution - is the seemingly innocuous laser. I had earlier stasis'd it to go get the chest it was blocking, and at that point I thought I was done with it. Laser blocks chest - simple enough, that's why it's there, ignore.

Then I realised that maybe I could deflect the laser towards the orb, so I threw a bomb at it to see if the explosion did anything. To my astonishment the laser moved from the wall! It dawned on me that I could pick up the laser block, place it on the sliding tile, then climb the stairs as the orb alternated on and off with laser strikes.

I was in awe of the shrine design and puzzle and the way the game completely left me to discover the solution on my own. It was so rewarding to complete.

Yes, that was def one of the trickiest shrines. And it felt great to find out the solution.

graffix13

Every night I sit down to play this with something specific in mind on what I am going to do and I end up doing 50 other things on the way.

Everytime I play this it's a new adventure. This fucking game, man.

Speely

Banned
Every night I sit down to play this with something specific in mind on what I am going to do and I end up doing 50 other things on the way.

Everytime I play this it's a new adventure. This fucking game, man.

Right? The gameworld itself invites curious and creative play. Every time I play I have fun, but it's rarely in the way I set out to do so.

Koren

I saw "horse korok"... I'd like to avoid spoilers, but is it koroks you can only find when you're riding a horse, or a puzzle related to horses?

I may have an idea
I thought the targets for example could be a puzzle, but I haven't managed to trigger anything on foot
but I'm never on a horse... :/

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wow I'm fucking dumb! LOL.

Don't feel bad, I also didn't realise that either mostly because I thought that it wouldn't work due the boss floating in the air but I did know that I needed to do something either while it was charging or after it has fired its attack.

Personally I think that they did a bad job telegraphing that
you could throw bomb and it would get sucked up.

Begins with H, ends with oof.

I feel really stupid, I want to figure this out myself!!

Instead of feet horses have?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't feel bad, I also didn't realise that either mostly because I thought that it wouldn't work due the boss floating in the air but I did know that I needed to do something either while it was charging or after it has fired its attack.

Personally I think that they did a bad job telegraphing that
you could throw bomb and it would get sucked up.

Instead of feet horses have?

Well in the area around there, they do introduce a new octorock type..

I saw "horse korok"... I'd like to avoid spoilers, but is it koroks you can only find when you're riding a horse, or a puzzle related to horses?

I may have an idea
I thought the targets for example could be a puzzle, but I haven't managed to trigger anything on foot
but I'm never on a horse... :/
It's a Korok puzzle that you can't solve without a horse.

eXistor

3 dungeons, 96 shrines

I don't want my journey in hyrule to end :(

I finished the game at around 80 hours, with about 80 shrines done and all divine beasts and I'm still playing it daily. I now did all shrines and found about 300 Korok seeds and am trying to max out my equipment. The game just remains extremely inviting to play even after 120-ish hours. Even though I dont quite place it at the top of Zelda games, it;s by far the one I ve put the most time in in such a short period of time. They really nailed the game-feel moreso than other Zelda's, which always had somewhat stiff-feeling controls (ALBW, Zelda II and SS excluded).

Top Bottom