• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Ok, aside from the rain, here's one thing that has annoyed me (total minor gripe):
Yiga Clan Hideout. I had come from the opposite end with the big well. Spent forever trying to figure out how I get in. Then, I realized you come in from that other end. Fair enough, but then you go through the hideout just to end up back outside where I tried to get in from the first place. Seemed dumb to me. They couldn't have kept the whole back portion enclosed? Kohga should have shown up even from coming from the back.
Yeah that was weird. It really feels like that area should have been enclosed. Don't know why they left it open. Maybe they were originally considering allowing you to come in from the back but then changed it later for game balance reasons?

Nictel

Ok, aside from the rain, here's one thing that has annoyed me (total minor gripe):
Yiga Clan Hideout. I had come from the opposite end with the big well. Spent forever trying to figure out how I get in. Then, I realized you come in from that other end. Fair enough, but then you go through the hideout just to end up back outside where I tried to get in from the first place. Seemed dumb to me. They couldn't have kept the whole back portion enclosed? Kohga should have shown up even from coming from the back.

Hmm I can see why that annoyed you
I wondered what would happen if you entered from the other side.
Seems strange too as the thought about the tiniest details too to leave this like that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I found the you-know-what. While I'm tempted to take it, I still have half the map to uncover, and two divine beasts. I have half a mind to set myself a side goal like getting my second stamina wheel filled, and having enough seeds to expand my melee weapons to three rows - and then go get it.

Need some help with the final boss

What are the options to take Calamity Ganon down when he turns orange? I've tried deflecting his lasers with a shield, but they just deflect into the walls. Do you just try to dodge his attacks and flurry him until he dies?

Ossom

I liker how you depict both sides fairly and equally.

I hadn't thought about it that deeply, and wrote this quickly when walking to the car this morning.

I would say that there are people on both sides who won't like it and people on both sides who will moan about it.

My point was more that you can't please everyone rather than implying a disparity between the two sides. Both are valid.

Koren

I refuse to buy amiobos. Well not true I have a yarn yoshi one but i never use it for its actual purpose I just liked the way it looked.

Anyways I dont want any amiiboos but i do want the costumes. I just figure when I do my next playthrough in a couple of years on CEMU I can experience the costumes that way.
I'm not sure I can talk about it here (even if there's non obscure products for it and I doubt it's illegal) but there's solutions around this...

Even if in this case, I would like to be able to buy those amiibos, I can't find Zelda and Bokoblin, it's annoying.

Chinbo37

I hadn't thought about it that deeply, and wrote this quickly when walking to the car this morning.

I would say that there are people on both sides who won't like it and people on both sides who will moan about it.

My point was more that you can't please everyone rather than implying a disparity between the two sides. Both are valid.

Its true but at the same time they could come up with a pricing model that would kind of work for both sides. The Amiibos themselves have some value. Some people buy them without even using them for their actual functions. Also some work for multiple games. So the value is not solely tied to a specific game.

In my view they could offer the costumes at 5 bucks each as direct DLC and it would seem to be a fair compromise. Higher price than pure cosmetic DLC in other games but not too low as to piss people off who bought Amiibos.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are there predictable places to find F
and and Bone
? There was an item I didn't buy before that I would like to, as the other items have proven to be very useful.

Grampasso

I'm usually pretty collected in Zelda dungeons, and although i didn't *struggle* with the divine beasts, they really stressed me out

I think the dungeon/map mechanics got to me because of how many different states existed in the dungeons, although ultimately solving the dungeons wasn't nearly as complex as they could have been

Anyone get a similar vibe?

Well all those different states are usually needed to find all the treasure chests hidden in the beast. I only made 2 so far but each had like 7/8 chests I think, quite a lot if you consider how much little space you have in each beast.

Poyunch

and and Bone
? There was an item I didn't buy before that I would like to, as the other items have proven to be very useful.

I find him at Hateno and Zora's Domain a lot more than anywhere else but that just might be coincidence and "confirmation bias."

Chinbo37

I'm not sure I can talk about it here (even if there's non obscure products for it and I doubt it's illegal) but there's solutions around this...

Even if in this case, I would like to be able to buy those amiibos, I can't find Zelda and Bokoblin, it's annoying.

Oh like Amiibo spoofing or whatever? I dont see why we couldn't talk about it. Ya its an option but it seems like a bit of work or you have to pay for something else physical. My point is that I don't need any more statutes or gadgets.

Also due to the rarity of the figures its extra dumb. I just checked Ebay UK and the Ocarina of Time Amiibo Link goes for like 40 or 50 pounds minimum. Thats ridiculous.

If Nintendo doesnt want to offer the outfits as pure DLC at least put some of them on those cards that you could use like they had with Animal Crossing. I would consider those if they were priced right.

Grampasso

I find him at Hateno and Zora's Domain a lot more than anywhere else but that just might be coincidence and "confirmation bias."

I thought he conveniently appeared in the nearest among the eligible spots when night falls? It seems to me I see him every if I'm near a major city/village. May be just coincidence

What are the options to take Calamity Ganon down when he turns orange? I've tried deflecting his lasers with a shield, but they just deflect into the walls. Do you just try to dodge his attacks and flurry him until he dies?

If you get the parry time right
all guardian and Ganon beams are reflected back at the target that used it. That drops his orange defensive shield.

GRW810

Completed the Ishto Soh shrine yesterday. I'm going to put the rest of my post in spoilers.

This shrine stumped me more than any of the other 75 I had completed until that point. It all seemed very straight forward at first; an orb in the middle of the floor which moved platforms up and down.

Once I had the platforms on the back wall in place I walked back up the ramp and sailed down onto them. I then used arrows to hit the orb to raise and lower the platforms until I walked to the end.

Then came the tricky part. There's a stairway behind a fence, which requires the orb to be activated three or four times to climb. I tried everything, including placing both bomb types and remotely detonating and firing arrows through and over the fence.

I just couldn't work it out. There's a floor tile sliding back and forth in front of the orb, but the only thing I could see to do with it was stasis. This seemed to be of no benefit so I started getting frustrated.

The really clever thing about the level -
and the solution - is the seemingly innocuous laser. I had earlier stasis'd it to go get the chest it was blocking, and at that point I thought I was done with it. Laser blocks chest - simple enough, that's why it's there, ignore.

Then I realised that maybe I could deflect the laser towards the orb, so I threw a bomb at it to see if the explosion did anything. To my astonishment the laser moved from the wall! It dawned on me that I could pick up the laser block, place it on the sliding tile, then climb the stairs as the orb alternated on and off with laser strikes.

I was in awe of the shrine design and puzzle and the way the game completely left me to discover the solution on my own. It was so rewarding to complete.

Tiberius

Ganon is super easy

you spam him with archeonic arrows,
when he turn orange use the power of lightning and use more archeonic arrows

Is this all of the additional objectives you can do in this game that aren't the main quest?

Korok seeds
Shrines/shrine quests
Side quests
Eventide Island
Fighting Lynels and other big ass monsters
Labyrinths

Is this list missing anything?

Grampasso

Is this all of the additional objectives you can do in this game that aren't the main quest?

Korok seeds
Shrines/shrine quests
Side quests
Eventide Island
Fighting Lynels and other big ass monsters
Labyrinths

Is this list missing anything?

Completing the Hyrule Compendium
Playing all the minigames as well
There's also an area with a concept similar to Eventide north of Lost Woods
I don't know what else, since pretty much everything non main quest is basically a side quest

Rodin

Ganon is super easy

you spam him with archeonic arrows,
when he turn orange use the power of lightning and use more archeonic arrows
What's the point in playing like that?

I disabled all the champions powers and used the bow only when needed. It was incredibly satisfying.

TheJoRu

Decided to disable (champion power)
Mipha's Grace
. Now all my Lynel fights in particular feel a lot more tense, and it's worth preparing more before a battle.
Sure, I do tend to keep a lot of fairies in my inventory, but they only recover you ever so slightly, and after using up so many of them I've basically depleted them, so it's not certain I'll have that many of them from now on.

Mik2121

I got the 30th Anniversary Link Amiibo and a friend of mine got a bunch of other Link ones. We are trying to get the
costumes
but so far I've only been able to get the
Tunic of the Wind
. This is gonna take forever, haha!

Well, I've finished the four beasts. I think I'm going to turn off the HUD and just explore before going to the end. Only 50ish shrines and 70korok seeds. Plenty left to do.

Ossom

Its true but at the same time they could come up with a pricing model that would kind of work for both sides. The Amiibos themselves have some value. Some people buy them without even using them for their actual functions. Also some work for multiple games. So the value is not solely tied to a specific game.

In my view they could offer the costumes at 5 bucks each as direct DLC and it would seem to be a fair compromise. Higher price than pure cosmetic DLC in other games but not too low as to piss people off who bought Amiibos.

That could work,but we all know Nintendo loves to control sales of things and amiibo do sell quite well. Can't get that sold out hype from DLC.

I am not sure whether the amiibo got you the same content, but Hyrule Warriors had both amiibo DLC and paid DLC. So there is precedent for it.

How many costumes are locked behind amiibo for BOTW and do you need multiple amiibo to unlock them? I just have smash link and I think I got the Twilight hat from it, but can't remember for certain. Also got Wolf Link amiibo, but don't think that has any costumes behind it.

Edit: just googled it. That is going to be expensive for completionists. Lots of amiibo required to get all outfits.

Done with the main Gerudo quest and just exploring the area, and holy SHIT the
Molduga
battle theme is so SO good. The way the violin medley jumps in when you
bomb it out of the ground
is excellent. Might be my favorite battle music so far, and I previously gave that title to the Divine Beast boss fights.

jariw

I don't know what else, since pretty much everything non main quest is basically a side quest

In addition to what's already been mentioned, get all the different costume sets, and upgrading them to 4-star.

Red

Done with the main Gerudo quest and just exploring the area, and holy SHIT the
Molduga
battle theme is so SO good. The way the violin medley jumps in when you
bomb it out of the ground
is excellent. Might be my favorite battle music so far, and I previously gave that title to the Divine Beast boss fights.
It's very good, yeah. It compels you to dive in and pummel that thing.

DonShula

So I found the you-know-what. While I'm tempted to take it, I still have half the map to uncover, and two divine beasts. I have half a mind to set myself a side goal like getting my second stamina wheel filled, and having enough seeds to expand my melee weapons to three rows - and then go get it.

I found it yesterday as well. Way too weak to take it right now. I've been bumming around this game collecting seeds and I only have like 40 shrines. I did try to
food cheat
my way to it, but that didn't work.

Farmboy

There are a couple of big-ish, non-side quest/shrine quest easter eggs that don't count for completion but are worth doing/finding. The
minigames
are the most prominent of these, but also
the horse fairy, the lord of the mountain, Kilton's medals, the coliseum

and and Bone

There's a guy at a stable somewhere that tells you exactly what town he's hanging around at the moment.
East Akkala, maybe? He gives you a quest to find Fang and Bone and let's you know where it's at. Or maybe the guy just tells you where he is until you take a picture of Kilton and finish the quest?

Steejee

Decided to disable (champion power)
Mipha's Grace
. Now all my Lynel fights in particular feel a lot more tense, and it's worth preparing more before a battle.
Sure, I do tend to keep a lot of fairies in my inventory, but they only recover you ever so slightly, and after using up so many of them I've basically depleted them, so it's not certain I'll have that many of them from now on.

Think I may do same.
Just feels a bit cheap everytime it goes off. I did Zora first so I've had it a while, and when I first got it I assumed it would have a wicked long cooldown. As it is, it simply recharges too fast to feel like a once-in-a-while safety net.

Krakatoa

I found it yesterday as well. Way too weak to take it right now. I've been bumming around this game collecting seeds and I only have like 40 shrines. I did try to
food cheat

If you pumped up on
Stamina, you can find a statue that will let you exchange the stamina for hearts, and vice versa.

DonShula

If you pumped up on
Stamina, you can find a statue that will let you exchange the stamina for hearts, and vice versa.

I think I only have
two wheels
. I'm bad at math but I don't think that'd be enough to get there with
8 hearts
. Can't remember the conversion rate on vessels per wheel.

Grampasso

In addition to what's already been mentioned, get all the different costume sets, and upgrading them to 4-star.
Right!
Speaking of which,
since I found the Diamond Circlet hidden in the basement of the Labyrinth in Akkala I was looking for a corresponding piece in the Gerudo Labyrinth. After a lot of time spent trying the most stupid things I decided to lookup for it in the guide... only to discover it doesn't exist a set for that and the Diamond circlet is a standalone piece of armor. Bummer! XD

UCBooties

I have all the 30th anniversary Amiibos and all the BoTW Amiibos but I never got any of the Smash Bros Amiibos.

I never really had an opportunity to buy Sheik or Toon Link, but i must have walked past a dozen Link and Zelda Amiibos for months at local stores and never bothered to grab them. I'm kicking myself now...

Grampasso

food cheat
Actually 40 shrines is more than enough just for that even if you spent the orbs on Stamina.
There's a quest in Hateno that once completed lets you convert any stamina upgrade in health upgrade and vice versa for 20 rupees.

Forkball

I got the 30th Anniversary Link Amiibo and a friend of mine got a bunch of other Link ones. We are trying to get the
costumes
but so far I've only been able to get the
Tunic of the Wind
. This is gonna take forever, haha!

It took me about ten days to get all the costume pieces from scanning the same amiibo once a day. The first drop for me was a costume piece, I'm not sure if that's guaranteed or not, but you can get the full set relatively quickly. Upgrading those things are not easy however.

DonShula

Actually 40 shrines is more than enough just for that even if you spent the orbs on Stamina.
There's a quest in Hateno that once completed lets you convert any stamina upgrade in health upgrade and vice versa for 20 rupees.

I've seen that, just wasn't sure how many
hearts
are needed. All I know is that's it's more than I have right now.

Grampasso

I've seen that, just wasn't sure how many
hearts
are needed. All I know is that's it's more than I have right now.
13 full hearts, will leave you with 1/4 of the last heart. Don't worry about that math, just count the orb number: 40/4=10 hearts. If you are at 0 beasts freed you need all of those converted to health (10 bonus+3 base). For each beast freed you need 4 orbs less. Consider getting it, since it deals double (60) dmg to Guardians AND the Ganon blight manifestations.

DonShula

13 full hearts, will leave you with 1/4 of the last heart. Don't worry about that math, just count the orb number: 40/4=10 hearts. If you are at 0 beasts freed you need all of those converted to health (10 bonus+3 base). For each beast freed you need 4 orbs less. Consider getting it, since it deals double (60) dmg to Guardians AND the Ganon blight manifestations.

So I could get it now, then... well well well.

Top Bottom