• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Can i guess that you need a horse if I see it on foot, or is it obscure enough that I need to visit the whole game on a horse trying everything?
I didn't figure it out until I looked up a guide to get all of the Korok seeds. Once I knew about them they were more obvious.

Finally finished the game. All 120 Shrines, like 220 Korok Seeds roughly, feels good man.

Rather disappointed that Ganon was such a non-character again though.

Can I get a hint on the final memory picture? It's the forest-looking one, there's absolutely nothing on it that gives me any kind of hint as to which forest it is...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I get a hint on the final memory picture? It's the forest-looking one, there's absolutely nothing on it that gives me any kind of hint as to which forest it is...

Talked to the painter guy at the stables?

If it's th one I'm thinking of, it's near
hyrule area and the hyrule river
. More specifically close to
the stables along that river but the other side

Burny

They really nailed the game-feel moreso than other Zelda's, which always had somewhat stiff-feeling controls (ALBW, Zelda II and SS excluded).

I gave the intro sequences of SS and Twilight Princess a brief go on dolphin recently, and both feel quite 'stiff' compared to BotW in terms of character movement. SS Link however already had more fluid means of traversal with sprinting and pushing up ledges. Still a far cry from BotW, where they have much more fluid animations.

Both games focussing more on the story links between player character, 'sidekick' and antagonist is the one thing I'm missing from BotW and would like to see Nintendo expand upon in the next main entry. Overall however, I'd like to see Nintendo go a couple of steps further with Zelda story telling. Detach the story more from item gimmicks, deliver a robust world and great core combat and physics based puzzle mechanics and weave an engaging story. Something less restricted and more organic than 'hero solves X puzzle dungeons to save kingdom in peril'.

Are his hints specific to the stables he's found in? I've been to several and haven't seen him.

Only seen him at two stables, but those hints where specific and pointed to places near the respective stables.

Overall however, I'd like to see Nintendo go a couple of steps further with Zelda story telling. Detach the story more from item gimmicks, deliver a robust world and great core combat and physics based puzzle mechanics and weave an engaging story. Something less restricted and more organic than 'hero solves X puzzle dungeons to save kingdom in peril'.

I actually don't really want the Zelda team to try too hard with their storytelling. I was pretty happy with the storytelling template of Ocarina of Time. Each of the episodes has a clear problem that you can solve by beating the dungeon. The characters you meet contribute to the overall story without ever being forced into it. It's clear what role everyone has to play, and no one's role is wasted or redundant (I still have no idea why the Champions' descendants exist at all in BotW). Theoretically, you could interchange the order of any of the dungeons and still have a fully intact, fully impactful story.

What was missing from Breath of the Wild was "moments" that made your journey feel like it had real weight. The memories didn't do this for me; meeting the Champions' heirs didn't, either; and there certainly wasn't enough gravitas around the final confrontation at Hyrule Castle.

I actually don't really want the Zelda team to try too hard with their storytelling. I was pretty happy with the storytelling template of Ocarina of Time. Theoretically, you could interchange the order of any of the dungeons and still have a fully intact, fully impactful story.

What was missing from Breath of the Wild was "moments" that made your journey feel like it had real weight. The memories didn't do this for me; meeting the Champions' heirs didn't, either; and there certainly wasn't enough gravitas around the final confrontation at Hyrule Castle.

I think the Divine Beasts were sorta supposed to give you those moments, but it did not work all that well because they were so isolated. Also because the "threats" they caused were really very minor.
Constant rain, sandstorms in a barren region of the desert, flying around "menacingly", and occasional magma balls raining down
really did very little to change the moment to moment gameplay in any region. They could have presented much greater threats, like
constant flooding/higher water levels, constant thunderstorms throughout the entire desert- including gerudo town, the lift from Vah Medoh causing massive winds in the entire Tabantha region preventing the Rito from flying at all, and maybe just a lot more magma balls for death mountain
. It would have made your journey and your actions a lot more impactful.

Actually, I think something like that could have been done with the towers in each region too, where there is something on or in the tower causing a crisis within the region such that your intervention really drastically changes the way the region works. 15 (there were 15 towers, right?) mini-bosses or mini-dungeons that actually critically affect the makeup of the world and environment would have been really neat. Maybe they can do that in the next one.

Rodin

Not really because that would have encouraged doing the beasts asap and getting them out of the way to explore freely and with no hassles. That's the opposite of a good design choice considering what they were aiming for.

Having certain effects in certain parts of the regions plus the dialogues with the NPCs created a sense of urgency, but one that didn't get in the way of exploring for 30 hours before doing even one of the beasts.

13ruce

Banned
Gonna replay the game with one of my best friends soon i am sure it will be a magical experience just like old times in our childhood/teenage years:p

Game is so good i am sure he will like it.

Not really because that would have encouraged doing the beasts asap and getting them out of the way to explore freely and with no hassles. That's the opposite of a good design choice considering what they were aiming for.

Having certain effects in certain parts of the regions plus the dialogues with the NPCs created a sense of urgency, but one that didn't get in the way of exploring for 30 hours before doing even one of the beasts.

I guess that's true that if the effects were too severe it would encourage you to remove them ASAP. I suppose what they did created a good enough balance, but it would be nice if it could have been expanded a bit to make it feel like you're actually doing something throughout the entire game. Rather than seeing the effects of freeing the Divine Beasts really only at the very end.

rhandino

Banned
I think the Divine Beasts were sorta supposed to give you those moments, but it did not work all that well because they were so isolated. Also because the "threats" they caused were really very minor.
Constant rain, sandstorms in a barren region of the desert, flying around "menacingly", and occasional magma balls raining down
really did very little to change the moment to moment gameplay in any region. They could have presented much greater threats, like
constant flooding/higher water levels, constant thunderstorms throughout the entire desert- including gerudo town, the lift from Vah Medoh causing massive winds in the entire Tabantha region preventing the Rito from flying at all, and maybe just a lot more magma balls for death mountain
I think those happened? I mean:

1) Vah Ruta
rain was so constant that Dorephan expected to overflow and break the dam which could lead to a flood in Hyrule.

2) Vah Medoh
actually forced the Rito to travel on foot since the cannons attacked them every time they flew near it and since he was flying all over the Hebra region... yeah.

3) Vah Naboris
sandstorm was cause of concern for all the people in Kara Kara Bazaar and Gerudo Town since it was getting closer to them, to the point that Riju established that outpoust too watch the Divine Beast.

4) Vah Rudania
made getting near Death Mountain impossible for the Gorons which forced them to focus their excavations to the lower areas of the mountain.

I think those happened? I mean:

1) Vah Ruta
rain was so constant that Dorephan expected to overflow and break the dam which could lead to a flood in Hyrule.

2) Vah Medoh
actually forced the Rito to travel on foot since the cannons attacked them every time they flew near it and since he was flying all over the Hebra region... yeah.

3) Vah Naboris
sandstorm was cause of concern for all the people in Kara Kara Bazaar and Gerudo Town since it was getting closer to them, to the point that Riju established that outpoust too watch the Divine Beast.

4) Vah Rudania
made getting near Death Mountain impossible for the Gorons which forced them to focus their excavations to the lower areas of the mountain.

I more meant it would be more impactful if we could actually SEE those effects and have them happen to us. #2 and #3 did literally nothing to Link, and #4 only really showed what it did once or twice in my playthrough. I understand that the story effects were/would be similar to what I describe, but it means a lot more when you see an actual change in the game.

But as Rodin said above some of those things would hamper the open nature of the game. So I guess they found a decent trade-off with those effects.

Whizkid7

Actually, I think something like that could have been done with the towers in each region too, where there is something on or in the tower causing a crisis within the region such that your intervention really drastically changes the way the region works. 15 (there were 15 towers, right?) mini-bosses or mini-dungeons that actually critically affect the makeup of the world and environment would have been really neat. Maybe they can do that in the next one.

To be fair,
Vah Ruta at least drastically effected a region - constant rain in Zora's Domain until you cleared it. Made all those shock arrow Lizalfos twice as dangerous.

DonShula

Are his hints specific to the stables he's found in? I've been to several and haven't seen him.

Honestly, this one is stupid. It gives basically no hint in the picture and that scene may as well be in 100 other places. Had I not talked to the guy at the stables first, I never would have found it, considering I had already walked right over the exact spot in the opposite direction and it didn't trigger.

But yeah, stables in
central Hyrule
are where to go if you don't just want to be outright told where this one is.

So now that I've cleared all four Divine Beasts, here's my personal ranking for each main quest sequence:

-Goron
-Zora
-Gerudo
-(This section intentionally left blank)
-Rito

Was anyone else as disappointed with the Rito quest as I was? It felt very anemic and undercooked compared to the other three.
Yeah, but flying and shooting in slow mo is always fun and I liked the dungeon. I think the Zora one is the most fleshed out one, personally. Prince Sideon is with you from the start so it helps build him up.

LordofPwn

the symbols above the photo translate to
HYRULEFIELD
, I then went around checking areas that had more than a few trees. ended up finding it near the western edge of that area.

Monumma

I just spent the evening watching a gear move in the
Zora's
dungeon to activate the last point. I tried everything and failed everything.

I have no idea.

Don't spoil it to me, I'll be back if I ever get unstuck.

Skeletos311

120 Shrines, 900 Korok seeds, complete Hyrule Compendium, All memories collected. I even did 4 Blight Ganon on the Wii U version.

C8wlasZXcAAvigi.jpg

Nyoro SF

Got like three shrines left. Question:
the ball in kakariko village. How do I convince impa to let me have it?

Finish all sidequests there and you will be able to get the ball.

Check the Journal of Worries in Impa's house and follow up with each person.

How do people feel about these additional constumes being locked away behind Amiibos? Im sort of torn because I'm a completionist but on the other hand I'm not a serious enough gamer to buy Amiibos as I wouldn't put them on display etc. I'm surprised there isn't a cheaper option for extra costumes in the eShop for a nominal fee.

Yeah, it's dumb that I can't buy these outfits directly at a higher profit margin for Nintendo but a lower price point for me. Everyone would win and I wouldn't have to pick up an amiibo that I don't exactly want. Still waiting for a way to scan amiibo that are in the box. I really don't like opening mine up at all.

I have Smash Link and the full Twilight set now and I haven't used it for more than ten seconds. Amiibo costumes are the epitome of worthless: they have no abilities (not even increased defense like the hylian armor, ancient set etc.), which would already make them useless compared to literally any other set in the game, but they went the extra mile and had them require start fragments for every upgrade level. Meaning they will sit there at 3 or 8 defense while everything else is 20 or 28.

Oh, and they can't be dyed. As if they needed to be more useless.

You can, but you would have to eat them before you die. That was my point when I explained why I feel it threw a wrench into the balance of combat design in the game. A lot of what makes the game "hard" is the appearance of challenge because people don't expect to die so suddenly and quickly in a modern Zelda game. Enemies do a lot of damage if you're not careful and wandering around in low-tier armor sets because of their other benefits. I think that this surprise element is cool, like you're just lazily trying to explore a region, see some enemies and go "whatever" and suddenly BAM one hit kills you and that moment of a Game Over screen makes you reflect on your rash actions. If you fail to die and get to 1 heart, sure, you could just eat. But with Mipha's Grace, it negates these moments completely and makes Hyrule feel much safer to explore even if you're being reckless. I guess it makes sense though, because... that's what it's like to have a wife looking after you. :p

Agreed 120%, Mipha simply breaks the game. Yes, you can disable it, much like you can not use the Crissaegrim in SotN, but the player should not have to actively restrict themselves in order for the game not to turn into a joke.

Over 250.

That doesn't sound like that much. I assume you used a map / guide, right? Even with that I think I would have given up long before that. Congrats!

Skeletos311

That's like 7.8 hours a day...

Damn.

Yeah. I've pretty much done nothing but play Zelda in my free time since launch.

What about all upgrades and boss medals?

I upgraded my TP costume to the max, but haven't upgraded much else past 2 or 3 stars. That's a lot of farming. I kind of want to farm the dragon parts.

I'm not sure what boss medals are. How do you get them?

That doesn't sound like that much. I assume you used a map / guide, right? Even with that I think I would have given up long before that. Congrats!

I used a Korok seed map for the last 700 or so seeds. I never felt like I needed a guide for Shrines or dungeons.

hiryu64

Yeah, but flying and shooting in slow mo is always fun and I liked the dungeon. I think the Zora one is the most fleshed out one, personally. Prince Sideon is with you from the start so it helps build him up.
Yeah, I couldn't decide whether to give the top spot to the Zora or the Goron quest. Ultimately had to go with the Goron quest despite how well-developed Sidon was compared to everyone else (second place goes to Riju for me), the act of scaling Death Mountain and the set pieces--especially
the view from inside the crater as you maneuver Rudania
--are what gave that questline the edge. The Gerudo route was really interesting and fun, but I felt it was soured by the boarding sequence
sand seal controls are not suited for fine speed adjustments

The Rito one was just... ugh, it could have been so much better. The entire sequence took about an hour and a half. I timed it. I wasn't even speedrunning.
"ok so u in da village and this bird is here go talk 2da big owl k now talk to this guy but hes next door no wait hes over there ok shoot these targets ok lets go we divine beast now."
It didn't even
make any meaningful use of the geography of the Hebra region. Like, they could have made you have to go find birdperson somewhere in the mountains instead of at a targeting range on the other side of the lake. idk, make you work for it somehow. Nor did Medoh have any sort of visible, tangible effect on the region. Like, okay, we can't fly too high, but everything's fine otherwise. Would have been nice to see Medoh attacking, or maybe whipping up super-strong and/or icy winds. Anything. It just felt like a nuisance whereas the others felt like actual threats. Like a giant mosquito.
Yeah, the boarding sequence was cool, but it was way too easy. Over in ten minutes, and
those cannons didn't even pose a threat.
It's a shame because this is only the second time we've ever seen the Rito, and they completely got the shaft. I did like the music, though.
Was a nice arrangement of Dragon Roost Island.

Yeah. I've pretty much done nothing but play Zelda in my free time since launch.

I upgraded my TP costume to the max, but haven't upgraded much else past 2 or 3 stars. That's a lot of farming. I kind of want to farm the dragon parts.

I'm not sure what boss medals are. How do you get them?

I used a Korok seed map for the last 700 or so seeds. I never felt like I needed a guide for Shrines or dungeons.

Ask Kilton at Fang and Bone something about monsters, and he will mention that he wants you to kill all 40 Hinoxes, all 40 Taluses and all 4 Moldugas, and he'll give you a unique boss medal for each one of them.
He can tell you how many you're missing, but not their location.

jariw

Reading the diaries did it for me. Especially the
one at Robbie

Oidisco

I've had a lot of great combat moments in this game, but killing my first White-Maned Lynel by stunning it with a headshot, tossing my weapon at it and finishing it off by attracting a lightning strike will forever be my favourite.

I've had a lot of great combat moments in this game, but killing my first White-Maned Lynel by stunning it with a headshot, tossing my weapon at it and finishing it off by attracting a lightning strike will forever be my favourite.

Killing one's first White-Maned Lynel is an awesome experience.
Then you learn there are silver versions too and try killing one of those... -back to armor upgrade farming-

Kandinsky

I have Smash Link and the full Twilight set now and I haven't used it for more than ten seconds. Amiibo costumes are the epitome of worthless: they have no abilities (not even increased defense like the hylian armor, ancient set etc.), which would already make them useless compared to literally any other set in the game, but they went the extra mile and had them require start fragments for every upgrade level. Meaning they will sit there at 3 or 8 defense while everything else is 20 or 28.

This is wrong, they do have set abilities/bonuses.

Speely

Banned
Gerudo woman: Flirting in the middle of the day? That's bold.

Link's choices:
1: That's not what I-

2: I have to go.

Me: Goddamnit let him flirt. Everyone in Hyrule wants to fuck Link and he can't even fucking flirt.
I know it's not his style, but still...

Also, I wonder what happens underwater with the great fairies?

And at the spa? That's a big stamina boost.

I think I have been playing too much, y'all.
So I'm getting blood moons every night. Is this a glitch and can I get it to stop?

Try a hard reset/power off. Seems to work.

Dr. Worm

Banned
So, is there ever any point to roasting food?

Considering that it's never really difficult to find a lit cookpot to make meals, you may as well just spend five minutes while you're at one to make yourself dishes. The main thing you're usually wanting more food for when you're already exploring is the bonus effects, which you can't get by roasting anyway. The opportunity cost to roasting versus cooking is pretty notable in that sense.

I guess since roasted food stacks on itself, you have more room for heart restoration if you're roasting? Maybe if you already used two and a half pages of food for elixirs and other things with low heart gains but strong bonus effects, that makes sense, but how many food items do you need to be carrying at once?

Chaos17

Zelda ruined me, I can't really enjoy Persona 5 because of the heavy hand holding that restrain me to enjoy exploration.

Speely

Banned
So, is there ever any point to roasting food?

Considering that it's never really difficult to find a lit cookpot to make meals, you may as well just spend five minutes while you're at one to make yourself dishes. The main thing you're usually wanting more food for when you're already exploring is the bonus effects, which you can't get by roasting anyway. The opportunity cost to roasting versus cooking is pretty notable in that sense.

I guess since roasted food stacks on itself, you have more room for heart restoration if you're roasting? Maybe if you already used two and a half pages of food for elixirs and other things with low heart gains but strong bonus effects, that makes sense, but how many food items do you need to be carrying at once?

Helped me out on a certain island while exploring it and learning what was there early on.

Other than that yeah I agree. Would be nice to have more situations in which such hastily-prepared meals were useful.

Top Bottom