• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

170 hours, about 150 seeds and 114 shrines. 6 more shrines before I head to Hyrule Castle.

Anyone else still playing from launch day and haven't beaten the game yet?
Me.

4 shrines to go (Well, more like 5. I'm assuming there's one or two around or inside Hyrule Castle (e.g. Castle Town ruins which I haven't seen either), which I'm saving for the grand finale.) It's getting almost impossible to find them, not to mention I refuse to use the sensor.

If I don't find all shrines by Sunday night, I'm beating the game then. I totally need a break from it lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
you could disable the runes in inventory before you get somewhere you think you need it.
Didn't know you could do this - interesting. Also avoids that ugly graphic appearing. Might turn off except for guardians/lynels

It has to break like a normal weapon than it recharges. In the inventory it tells you how much time is left in recharging. I only use it for Lynels, Guardians, and bosses. Never weaker enemies.

Ever got to 'badly damaged' after a fight and then deliberately smashed it on stuff just to trigger the recharge?

Finally made my Japanese Switch account, which also means I finally have a home for my second run through Zelda. Still not "done" with my first save and ready to go again, but even then I'll probably continue to play it during and after my new save.

I plan to do the second run with no Divine Beasts at all this time. Can't wait to do the ending under those conditions. I'll do all Shrines and whatnot still though. Should certainly be interesting not being able to play with Revali's Gale.

You can't max out both, no. There's not enough Shrines for that. You can take some stamina off and max out the hearts if you want, though.

Hm. It is going to feel very strange finishing a zelda game without two full rows of hearts! But stamina is key!
Interestingly it would take exactly a 10% boost in Shrines to get max hearts and stamina. Seems like a decent amount for a DLC expansion, no? Just saying. :p

You could always do what I do though and cover the last 3 heart slots with yellow bonus hearts.

jepense

There is no pattern and some are cleverly hidden but they are all in the general area around Zora's Domain. The guy who gives you the quest also gives you hints as to their general direction.
There is a pattern for the first 7. They are all off the path - some by a long way - when approaching the Domain, but each has a minor pathway leading to it. They are also in numerical order. The last 3 are sort of beyond the domain, but the quest giver tells you where. I really liked the quest. I had seen the area only in rain before and finding the tablets was a good reason to explore in good weather and see the sights.

Skeletos311

Finally made my Japanese Switch account, which also means I finally have a home for my second run through Zelda. Still not "done" with my first save and ready to go again, but even then I'll probably continue to play it during and after my new save.

I plan to do the second run with no Divine Beasts at all this time. Can't wait to do the ending under those conditions. I'll do all Shrines and whatnot still though. Should certainly be interesting not being able to play with Revali's Gale.

Interestingly it would take exactly a 10% boost in Shrines to get max hearts and stamina. Seems like a decent amount for a DLC expansion, no? Just saying. :p

You could always do what I do though and cover the last 3 heart slots with yellow bonus hearts.

If they add 8 Shrines and you get a heart from the DLC dungeon, then you could max them out.

Killed my first
Lynel
yesterday, it was a
white maned one
, but I killed him in the most cowardly way, from above, and I wasted all my bomb, ice and fire arrows. I even wasted a lot of attack food while using barbarian helmet and armor. Still, it took a good 5 minutes to kill him. Is this normal?

I got from him a shied, a bow and any axe. Was it worth it? We'll see. But there must be an easier way if killing these things right?

You can only use a camp fire once?

Yup. The fire goes out once the time runs out

Is anyone going through a new file/second playthrough? Really curious to see how this game holds up the second time around.

Yep, but you can light it up again provided you don't go too far for the used wood to vanish.

Some campfires persist permanently (or until you destroy them anyway). As far as I can tell, at least ones you do in open areas in towns, but perhaps others as well.

If they add 8 Shrines and you get a heart from the DLC dungeon, then you could max them out.
That would work too, though if you already put your points into max heart containers you would end up with 21 then. Dunno if they would do that, but who knows. I kind of think the new dungeon will have a novel reward instead.

How long does Eventide take to clear?
Theoretically you could do it rather quickly. Could take longer depending on how well you avoid danger, how much damage you can take, your general approach, etc..

Foxxsoxx

Killed my first
Lynel
yesterday, it was a
white maned one
, but I killed him in the most cowardly way, from above, and I wasted all my bomb, ice and fire arrows. I even wasted a lot of attack food while using barbarian helmet and armor. Still, it took a good 5 minutes to kill him. Is this normal?

I got from him a shied, a bow and any axe. Was it worth it? We'll see. But there must be an easier way if killing these things right?

I haven't managed to kill one yet. It's hard to dodge those dudes with the joycons. I wish I had a pro controller D:

I just avoid them, they have a stupid amount of health and aren't worth it at all.

takriel

It's just incredibly satisfying to start a new game, hop off the plateau, ride straight into Hyrule Market Place and raid the entire place while parrying every Guardian into oblivion!

random25

Killed my first
Lynel
yesterday, it was a
white maned one

Learn about its fighting quirks. Once you master how to fight against it, it will be a good enemy to farm stuff. And its gear are one of the best sets in the game. Of course having better gear yourself helps.

How long does Eventide take to clear?

Depends on how good you are at that point in the game. It's basically a test of your overall skills and knowledge in the game. The more you know how things work, the faster and easier it becomes.

Some campfires persist permanently (or until you destroy them anyway). As far as I can tell, at least ones you do in open areas in towns, but perhaps others as well.

Those that are already available in the overworld are permanent. Those within villages stay lit up unless it is in not-sheltered area and it rains. Self-made campfires though disappear when you go too far.

CassSept

Depends on how good you are at that point in the game. It's basically a test of your overall skills and knowledge in the game. The more you know how things work, the faster and easier it becomes.

Yeah, I finally stumbled upon it this week and smashed through the whole place within few minutes, 15 mins tops. I guess so many people talking about how cool it is overinflated my expectations. It's a very cool idea, but not really something extraordinary.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The tablets quest in Zora's Domain is annoying. I think I've found 1-4 so far and a couple of the last ones, but I have a lot of difficulty finding any sort of natural pattern leading one tablet to the next. I'll get back to this later. Currently chasing Kass quests. Some of these puzzles are trickier than expected!

There is very definitely a path you can take going from first to last, that follows 'natural' contours. It's not obvious, but just take paths of least resistance. The most out-of-the-way one is probably 5.

The tablets quest in Zora's Domain is annoying. I think I've found 1-4 so far and a couple of the last ones, but I have a lot of difficulty finding any sort of natural pattern leading one tablet to the next. I'll get back to this later. Currently chasing Kass quests. Some of these puzzles are trickier than expected!

Actually most of them are in the path leading up to zora's domain, every time that there was a little detour i thought "hm i wonder if it's here" and it was. There were 2 that are out of the way, but you can talk to the zora and he gives you the general location of the place

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually most of them are in the path leading up to zora's domain, every time that there was a little detour i thought "hm i wonder if it's here" and it was. There were 2 that are out of the way, but you can talk to the zora and he gives you the general location of the place

If the quest just ticked them off for me like 1/10, 2/10 etc it would help. Right now I'm feeling like getting a pen and paper to write down the numbers and that puts me off. Being able to write little notes on stamps on the map would have been helpful..

If the quest just ticked them off for me like 1/10, 2/10 etc it would help. Right now I'm feeling like getting a pen and paper to write down the numbers and that puts me off. Being able to write little notes on stamps on the map would have been helpful..

You don't need to get them in any order. What i did was mark my position with a star, so i wouldn't get confused. The zora counts how many you already found and then he randomly says the positions of the ones you didn't get

duckroll

That's how I found the first 4. Then I got a little lost. Suddenly saw Farosh in the distance and tried to get to him for a shot, didn't quite make it but spotted a new shrine while mid flight and headed there instead. Solved fun puzzles, came out and it was raining again. Said fuck it and teleported away to find more Kass riddles.

I love this game!!!!

jonno394

I've taken a break from Zelda for several days now, and the more I think about it, the more apparent to me it is that although this is an undeniable fantastic game, deserving of its praise, it just isn't a great Zelda game. Thinking about dungeons, items, puzzles, bosses etc from previous games is really giving me the desire to go back and play some of them rather than going back to BoTW now.

Lilo_D

I've taken a break from Zelda for several days now, and the more I think about it, the more apparent to me it is that although this is an undeniable fantastic game, deserving of its praise, it just isn't a great Zelda game. Thinking about dungeons, items, puzzles, bosses etc from previous games is really giving me the desire to go back and play some of them rather than going back to BoTW now.

Kinda envy you it's a never go back journey for me
Maybe I can try WWHD at least but I can't image myself play something like TP SS or other open world games recently

mernst23

110 hours in, 119 shrines, 73 side quests, 300 korok seeds.

All done without a guide. I found 3 shrines yesterday just by hitting all the roads with my horse but I have no clue where to find the last one. I have one non completed shrines quest but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I only have climbing, stealth, and rubber armors as well as snow/sand pants and head jewelry to max out my armors so I think I'll work to max those and fight more overwork bosses and hope I stumble across that last shrine.

Hitting that final stretch of the game. So fun.

Maybe I can try WWHD at least but I can't image myself play something like TP SS or other open world games recently
I regret not finishing Twilight Princess HD before playing this, because that game is just gonna feel like shit now lol

jonno394

Typically Zelda games really are one and done with me, which is the worst thing, so I probably won't play anything. I have this desire to play a dungeon heavy Zelda now, traditional items, puzzles, dungeons etc but that desire will likely go unfulfilled.

Lilo_D

Typically Zelda games really are one and done with me, which is the worst thing, so I probably won't play anything. I have this desire to play a dungeon heavy Zelda now, traditional items, puzzles, dungeons etc but that desire will likely go unfulfilled.

Check ALBW for sure

Did you play every zelda? I highly recommend ALBW, it's my favorite 2d zelda. It has the best gameplay in the 2d games (BoTW best in 3d). It's so fluid, i love alttp just as much but it's always kind of hard to adjust to it after play albw

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's how I found the first 4. Then I got a little lost. Suddenly saw Farosh in the distance and tried to get to him for a shot, didn't quite make it but spotted a new shrine while mid flight and headed there instead. Solved fun puzzles, came out and it was raining again. Said fuck it and teleported away to find more Kass riddles.

I love this game!!!!

Farosh is my 'Squirrel!' moment. Twice now I've been heading to a tower and go 'ooh Farosh' and get entirely distracted and half an hour later I might remember to go back to the tower

I used a Korok seed map for the last 700 or so seeds. I never felt like I needed a guide for Shrines or dungeons.

Yeah, I meant Korok seeds. Everything else is relatively easy to find on one's own.

This is wrong, they do have set abilities/bonuses.

Wait, really? *googles*
Ah, I see, thanks for the correction! Still a pretty lousy bonus for a set with no other redeeming qualities that needs so many star fragments. I mean, 10 star fragments to max each part? :S

About the story, [Spoilers Ending]
I think there is a lot wrong with the execution of the story in this Zelda game, but I can't help but think that one change would have made me more receptive to the ending. Does anyone else think the finale could have been stronger by simply having Zelda be old as hell, like Impa or Robbie, when Link finally sees her again? I think it would have made their reunion bittersweet, and conveyed the sacrifice Zelda made when she used her power to contain Calamity Ganon for 100 years.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think there is a lot wrong with the execution of the story in this Zelda game, but I can't help but think that one change would have made me more receptive to the ending. Does anyone else think the finale could have been stronger by simply having Zelda be old as hell, like Impa or Robbie, when Link finally sees her again? I think it would have made their reunion bittersweet, and conveyed the sacrifice Zelda made when she used her power to contain Calamity Ganon for 100 years.
The royal bloodline tho...

McNum

Ever got to 'badly damaged' after a fight and then deliberately smashed it on stuff just to trigger the recharge?
Yes. Repeatedly. If I have some downtime and there isn't a shiny sparkle on it showing it's full, I destroy it on a rock. You only run out of charge against a Guardian once to learn to do that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can't tell if you're serious or not, but if you are, that would make the ending even more tragic/bittersweet! The ending could of used some of that IMO. Plus, let's not act like Nintendo wouldn't just ignore or leave unexplained that 'issue' with the next installment. It's what they do.

Nosgotham

I haven't managed to kill one yet. It's hard to dodge those dudes with the joycons. I wish I had a pro controller D:

I just avoid them, they have a stupid amount of health and aren't worth it at all.

its just as easy with joycons as a pro controller in my experience. i used joycon grip fir first 90 hours. i dud find it easier to dodge his swipes if i manipulated the camera to show a side view instead of a face to face view. its all anout timing though, regardless of controller.

Nosgotham

i t
hought that was going to be the case but i get the reasoning why they didnt go that route. she SHOULD be crazy as fuck though, like whacked out unstable nutjob after spending 100 years with evil incarnate. its more shocking to be that she seems to come out of that scenario as seemingly well adjusted as before

Golnei

The Hylians have done just fine without centralised leadership for 100 years - they don't really need a royal family at this point. Also, if WW Link can earn the 'spirit of the hero', maybe future generations would be able to earn the blessings of Hylia. Maybe the Sheikah would try and clone her. Keeping everyone alive at the ending was the least interesting (and least satisfying) decision they could have made.

I get what you mean but I loved the optimism of the ending. That Link and Zelda have a chance to try and restore the glory of Hyrule really warmed my cockles. I only really wish that Ganon wasn't a mindless beast, would've preferred him to take Ganondorf form for the ending.

Burny

The Hylians have done just fine without centralised leadership for 100 years - they don't really need a royal family at this point. Also, if WW Link can earn the 'spirit of the hero', maybe future generations would be able to earn the blessings of Hylia. Maybe the Sheikah would try and clone her. Keeping everyone alive at the ending was the least interesting (and least satisfying) decision they could have made.

I don't know about the "done just fine" part. They've survived, sure, but their civilisation has been set back considerably without much signs of recovering to their former level. Nobody has assembled armies to get rid of the rogue guardians, nobody has rebuild their main city, nobody has gotten rid of that evil pig thing in the centre of their land.

Admittedly, if they had done all that, there'd be little point to the whole game. But some form of leadership would probably be necessary to restore their civilasation to its former level or beyond.

Seeing all these posts prioritizing stamina over hearts. Very surprised. I always had limitless stamina basically from the beginning of the game. I kept myself stocked on bonus stamina and stamina recovery meals, and speed boost meals and never had issues climbing or getting around. Combine that with the climbing set of gear and I just always found having permanent hearts to be way more useful than stamina.

Although on the flip side you could say the same about temporary hearts, but I tended to find hearty foods less frequently than the others.

GRW810

170 hours, about 150 seeds and 114 shrines. 6 more shrines before I head to Hyrule Castle.

I haven't. Got the game on launch and played 15 hours over the first weekend. Since then I haven't played every day but when I have it's an average of 4-5 hours for each session.

I have defeated three divine beasts, found almost 80 shrines, located nearly 170 koroks, found eight of the twelve memories and unlocked and explored all but one region (north-west).

But no, a month later I still haven't completed the game. I'm in no rush to, really. I'm having a blast.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I tend to use the Master Sword very often, even for regular enemies. That way I always have a full weapons inventory and never run the risk of only having a few crappy ones left. I keep 2 or 3 weapons for each element (usually a 1h sword, a 2-hander, and maybe a spear and a wand) + a few Lynel weapons and some random drops.

Yeah, I finally stumbled upon it this week and smashed through the whole place within few minutes, 15 mins tops. I guess so many people talking about how cool it is overinflated my expectations. It's a very cool idea, but not really something extraordinary.

About same for me last night, but I'm at "reasonable" endgame levels (75 shrines/4 beasts). Magnesis + iron box takes out
Hynox
really easily, sort of hilarious battering him in the
eye repeatedly while he's unable to move

CassSept

About same for me last night, but I'm at "reasonable" endgame levels (75 shrines/4 beasts). Magnesis + iron box takes out
Hynox
really easily, sort of hilarious battering him in the
eye repeatedly while he's unable to move

To be honest,
I just glided onto the Hinox from the hill and walked away with the orb ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess that's the hard part of the challenge, huh

Anteo

I beat it the first week with half the map explored. Still playing, Im at over 100 shirines now.

Top Bottom