• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Kamina

Golden Boy
My one gripe about the Master Sword is that I wish it was recharging when I am not using it, not just when it's broken. If it's low on energy, and I want it for something coming up, I need to break it then wait.
I think durability of all wepons needs to be doubled, Master sword should do as you say, and there should be a way to actually repair damaged legendary weapons (like the
Trident, the Bow, the Gerudo Sowrd and Shield and the Hammer)

Firebrand

We've found a Stal
nox
before, but since then we've noticed some smaller skeletons around Hyrule, like one near Dueling Peaks stable. What do you do with these? We tried waiting for nighttime, bombing them, etc.

Not sure why they're not up every night. Can try just saving and reloading, that woke it up for me.

KevinG

5 Shrines left and I have no idea what to do from here.

Missing 6 Shrine Quests, but I'm sure some of those Shrines I've already discovered outside of recieving a quest for it.

I don't want to use a guide, but can't seem to find any gaps I haven't searched.

Found 3 Shrines in quick succession last night one of which was the one in
Gerudo that required lighting he torches
which makes me nervous that the 5 I'm missing won't show up on radar.

GRW810

We've found a Stal
nox
before, but since then we've noticed some smaller skeletons around Hyrule, like one near Dueling Peaks stable. What do you do with these? We tried waiting for nighttime, bombing them, etc.
I noticed a fallen skeleton in the woods somewhere (Akkala maybe, not sure), expecting it to rise up and attack, but nothing happened.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This morning I also realized, the Shrines/Spirit Orbs in BotW are a lot like Stars in Super Mario 64. Think about it:

-There are 120 of them
-You don't need all of them to beat the game
-They are hidden throughout the landscape, requiring solving relatively simple or complex puzzles to unlock, or they require you to beat an enemy.
-The more of them you collect, the more the game opens up
-Each one has a title that contains a clue as to how to beat it
Oh sh-

I think durability of all wepons needs to be doubled, Master sword should do as you say, and there should be a way to actually repair damaged legendary weapons (like the
Those
champion weapons really bother me too.

Here are the signature weapons of a champion. They are part of that champion's legend.

How the hell did these weapons last long enough to become part of their legend when they break in like three fights?

Boem

Not sure why they're not up every night. Can try just saving and reloading, that woke it up for me.

I noticed that when I ran into my first one. Started a battle with him, but couldn't kill him before the sun came up. Came back later, found the skeleton, waited until the sun was down, and then the entire night, and he just wouldn't get up.

I figured out later that they sometimes won't spawn if you're right there waiting for it. If you leave the area and come back, they'll get up just fine. I noticed the same problem with Kilton: when I first went looking for him, I knew where he was supposed to be, waited for ages and he never showed up. He only shows up if you're not right there waiting for him.

It's just a weird thing with how spawning works in this game I think. I've had a couple of moments like that, where waiting didn't work but leaving and coming back did.

maxcriden

A couple Friday morning Korok Seed questions....

1) there is a Magnesis puzzle on the eastern side of L
ake
H
ylia
, down by the water. It has a Magnesis cube but wherever we place it it doesn't seem to be the place to put it to make the Korok appear. There's no contextual clue around that we've seen. Where is the clue for this one?

2) At D
eya
V
illage
R
uins
is a massive broken hollow tree trunk. At the bottom of it is a single boulder. Is there a Korok seed associated with this boulder?

I noticed a fallen skeleton in the woods somewhere (Akkala maybe, not sure), expecting it to rise up and attack, but nothing happened.

Thanks guys. So even though these are much smaller skeletons, they're the same creature?

One very positive aspect of this game that I rarely see mentioned, is that all the minigames are optional and not required for some unique item or story progression, nor do they count as sidequests. Instead, they're just mindless fun if you want to get rupees or beat your own record :)

There's one in the small wooded bit to the west of Dueling Peaks Stable, next to the river. May be the one you're thinking of.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Also, like the master sword, those should have their own special slot in your inventory.

DrArchon

Those
champion weapons really bother me too.

Here are the signature weapons of a champion. They are part of that champion's legend.

How the hell did these weapons last long enough to become part of their legend when they break in like three fights?

A bigger problem with the
champion weapons is that they're all garbage
Seriously, I never even bothered to use any of them to the point of breaking because I always had weapons that were MUCH better than them. Maybe this wouldn't have been the case if I got them earlier in the game, but still.

For legendary weapons, they're very underwhelming all around.

Peltz

Seriously, I never even bothered to use any of them to the point of breaking because I always had weapons that were MUCH better than them. Maybe this wouldn't have been the case if I got them earlier in the game, but still.

But they look cool.

jariw

This morning I also realized, the Shrines/Spirit Orbs in BotW are a lot like Stars in Super Mario 64. Think about it:

-There are 120 of them
-They are hidden throughout the landscape, requiring solving relatively simple or complex puzzles to unlock, or they require you to beat an enemy.

Don't agree with that the game opens up. Nothing is locked behind a shrine AFAIK?

Firebrand

Thanks guys. So even though these are much smaller skeletons, they're the same creature?
Oh sorry, misunderstood, thought you were talking about the larger ones. Not sure about smaller ones. You can sometimes see enemy as collapsed skeletons before they go "good evening, sir, have i told you about our lord and savior, calamity ganon?", but if it's the skeletons that look more like they're stuck in the terrain, don't think they do anything.

Futureman

Finished my first Divine Beast last night... Divine Beast Vah Ruta (Zora's Domain).

Really fun overall (puzzles and battles) if not a bit short. Are any of the other Divine Beasts more involved?

WHOA was the boss easy
Waterblight Ganon
. Maybe I waited too long to start on the Divine Beasts? I think I have around 8 hearts and a full stamina plus one (so I think around 44 or so Shrines).

maxcriden

Oh sorry, misunderstood, thought you were talking about the larger ones. Not sure about smaller ones. You can sometimes see enemy as collapsed skeletons before they go "good evening, sir, have i told you about our lord and savior, calamity ganon?", but if it's the skeletons that look more like they're stuck in the terrain, don't think they do anything.

Oh, gotcha, thanks. Hmm. Yeah, this is the one Monkeylord was referring to. I guess it's too small to be a Stal
nox
. For some reason I thought Monkeylord was saying that was a Stal
nox
but I think I misunderstood their post.

I went to
Korok forest to cash in about 50 seeds or so. Figured I'd try pulling the master sword for shits and giggles, and it let me? I assumed I would have to max out my hearts first, lol.

Finished my first Divine Beast last night... Divine Beast Vah Ruta (Zora's Domain).

Really fun overall (puzzles and battles) if not a bit short. Are any of the other Divine Beasts more involved?

WHOA was the boss easy
Waterblight Ganon
. Maybe I waited too long to start on the Divine Beasts? I think I have around 8 hearts and a full stamina plus one (so I think around 44 or so Shrines).

There was one Divine Beast that took me quite some time, but only because I wanted to find all the chests. Overall they share the same difficulty and lenght, even regarding the bossfights. I liked the divine beasts, and one of the bosses felt really good to beat, but don't expect the old "boss is a puzzle" from the other Zelda games (even though you may want to use your mind sometimes)

StAidan

ake
H
ylia
, down by the water. It has a Magnesis cube but wherever we place it it doesn't seem to be the place to put it to make the Korok appear. There's no contextual clue around that we've seen. Where is the clue for this one?

If this is the one next to the waterfall, then the structure where you found the cube is the clue. The structure where the cube belongs is, as I recall,
up on the rock wall on the other side of the water
. Kind of hard to see unless you're looking for it.

RRockman

Banned
Don't agree with that the game opens up. Nothing is locked behind a shrine AFAIK?

No but the rewards you get do open the world. Dumping your rewards in health would allow you to fight tougher enemies in further areas while dumping in stamina would let you run glide and climb farther.

tkscz

I went to
Korok forest to cash in about 50 seeds or so. Figured I'd try pulling the master sword for shits and giggles, and it let me? I assumed I would have to max out my hearts first, lol.

If you have 13 or more hearts you're good to go. It fills your health if you've taken damage before pulling.

Can't get the Master Sword without 13 hearts, can't get to specific areas without enough stamina. Some areas are way too difficult without enough health.

-There are 120 of them
Absolutely. Furthermore, I would argue that collecting the 120 shrines really is the "main campaign" of BotW, much like collecting the stars is the main campaign of Mario 64. My point is that when people talk about the main campaign of BotW they shouldn't only talk about the divine beasts, they should talk about the shrines too. Shrines shouldn't be thought of as merely sidequests but are actually where most of the content of the game lies. This becomes clear if you realize the structure of BotW is more similar to Mario 64 than it is to Ocarina of Time.

ASIS

-There are 120 of them
How so?

I agree with the rest but I don't know about that point.

Also, one of the most important comparisons:
- both spirit orbs and stars are the reward, not the obstacle. That is probably the biggest distinction between them and other collect-a-thons.

GRW810

There's one in the small wooded bit to the west of Dueling Peaks Stable, next to the river. May be the one you're thinking of.
Maybe. I've spent most of my last few play sessions in Akkala but I did have a random wander all over the map doing side quests. It was during this zig-zag journey that I came across the skeleton so I have no idea where I was! But I was near that stable at some point that day so it could be...

Lilo_D

Absolutely. Furthermore, I would argue that collecting the 120 shrines really is the "main campaign" of BotW, much like collecting the stars is the main campaign of Mario 64. My point is that when people talk about the main campaign of BotW they shouldn't only talk about the divine beasts, they should talk about the shrines too. Shrines shouldn't be thought of as merely sidequests but are actually where most of the content of the game lies. This becomes clear if you realize the structure of BotW is more similar to Mario 64 than it is to Ocarina of Time.

I think all the shrine quests are the main campaign

WHOA was the boss easy
Waterblight Ganon

Gerudo one is a little longer and the boss is tougher

ake
H
ylia
I remember something similar where it was either the context or the thing to place it in was
underwater

One of them seemed pretty good
Goron one though I only used it for breaking rocks because I lacked a sledgehammer...yeah I know bombs work too if sending the rocks flying miles is desired

Probably already posted, but apparently you can get yourself stuck in this game, by going to the end boss while in a minigame. Not something to worry about, but an interesting thing to see.

Spoilers, shows part of the final boss and a minigame:
I just knew it was that flying distance minigame (skipped the final boss bit). I saw that 7km flight video where they landed on E
ventide Island
triggering the shine quest and things got a little crazy there. Link was teleported back to the tower (in the shine quest state
so no inventory
while the shrine quest text was displaying) for the measly 100 rupee reward then suddenly teleported back to location of the shrine quest I think without a loading screen so you got to see the world load in.

Oh, gotcha, thanks. Hmm. Yeah, this is the one Monkeylord was referring to. I guess it's too small to be a Stal
nox
. For some reason I thought Monkeylord was saying that was a Stal
nox
but I think I misunderstood their post.

There are three types of skeletons you'll run into (as far as I've seen) Bokoblin, which will rise up as you approach at night. Stal
nox, which are large skeletons that will not rise if you are close to them, just mark where they are and approach after dark for these to properly spawn.
And bone piles, these are unidentified skeletons that are just props and do nothing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My one gripe about the Master Sword is that I wish it was recharging when I am not using it, not just when it's broken. If it's low on energy, and I want it for something coming up, I need to break it then wait.

Same with other multi use powers for me

Skeletos311

Yeah, I meant Korok seeds. Everything else is relatively easy to find on one's own.

Wait, really? *googles*
Ah, I see, thanks for the correction! Still a pretty lousy bonus for a set with no other redeeming qualities that needs so many star fragments. I mean, 10 star fragments to max each part? :S

It's one star piece per upgrade, so 4 to max each piece and 12 to max out the whole set. I know a bunch of places list a bunch of stars for the upgrades, but they are wrong.

K0e1VnG.jpg

Crayolan

Probably already posted, but apparently you can get yourself stuck in this game, by going to the end boss while in a minigame. Not something to worry about, but an interesting thing to see.

Spoilers, shows part of the final boss and a minigame:

lol, I was wondering what'd happen if you did that, but was too lazy to test it. That's amazing.

They need to try it again and see if it's different if you have all divine beasts cleared though.

What's everybodys favorite region? Mine is Akkala. It's so peaceful up there lol.
1 -
Gerudo desert
because you can find two unique mini-bosses. Also that town is the best one! And the shrines were good.

2 - Hyrule Field because it feels 100% like the Zelda I always wanted to play.

3 - Hebra because of the atmosphere and the number of secrets

4 - Great Plateau. It's packed.

LordofPwn

Finished the story last night.
40.19%
209 Kurok Seeds

A lot higher percentage than I thought it would be.
Did all shrines and shrine quests but still have like 20 side quests to do. Game is a masterpiece. It can definitely improve in some aspects though.

Final boss spoiler:
I loved everything about this, the part inside the castle was badass looking. and the final form was unexpected and awesome. I just wish I was more awake and had spent more time on horses. Me and Denzel pulled through though. I put like 110 hours into this game and kinda blazed through hyrule castle. am crazy busy this weekend and I just needed to beat the story last night or it wasn't going to happen for like another week and it would have driven me insane.
I feel like if i would have spent ~40 hours with the game and sprinkled the story through out that time I would have really loved the story. So my advice for next time is add more story, cut down on the tests of strengths or vary them a lot more. I really didn't like getting to a shrine and knowing exactly what I need to do the instant I'm in. Also better implement motion controls or make it so that you can use standard controls to solve them. rotating things to solve puzzles are fun, making me rotate and contort my hands to do so was not. also final portion:
Hyrule castle felt like an awesome dungeon and if it had moving parts somewhat integrated into it like the beasts it would have been perfect. I also wish I didn't feel like I had to rush through it. also more of that indoor dungeon stuff. The open world is great, but imagine layering that with some awesome interior dungeons and contraptions maybe even hidden under villages.
More villages, tone wise it made sense but i would like to see how it would feel with a more populated world and story that fit that.

Going to order the season pass this weekend or next week. Very excited to see the additions they create.

5 stars

Firebrand

1 -
Gerudo desert
because you can find two unique mini-bosses. Also that town is the best one! And the shrines were good.

I agree with these, I kinda like Akkala as well. Feels like autumn. With robots. And
Hudson Hunk

Speaking of "the Zelda I always wanted to play"... when I first rode from Kakariko down into the wetlands, that definitely felt like I was playing the way I imagined Zelda 1 and 2, or it was portrayed in artwork. Carefully riding the horse through the swamp on the wooden bridges, with water, shrines around, some bony monster lair in the distance etc.

Ashby

1 -
Gerudo desert

I'm 70 shrines in and your post made me realize I haven't been back to the Great Plateau since I left it at the beginning of the game. Any reason(s) to revisit?

Jackano

Definitely save and reload.
This loading part of the game is weird. It's the same for the monster
shop guy
. If you stand there or get there by night and it's not here, it's not gonna wake up. You have to manually force the game to load.

I'm 70 shrines in and your post made me realize I haven't been back to the Great Plateau since I left it at the beginning of the game. Any reason(s) to revisit?
Only Korok seeds actually. I just loved the first hours there and how they teach you all the mechanics.

I agree with these, I kinda like Akkala as well. Feels like autumn. With robots. And
Hudson Hunk

Speaking of "the Zelda I always wanted to play"... when I first rode from Kakariko down into the wetlands, that definitely felt like I was playing the way I imagined Zelda 1 and 2, or it was portrayed in artwork. Carefully riding the horse through the swamp on the wooden bridges, with water, shrines around, some bony monster lair in the distance etc.
I had the same feelings in the exact same moment.

I just got a switch and Zelda.. I just started but seems like I'm just wondering around and don't know what to do.

Im at a place where I got a magnet thing. Do I just keep on this path? Or just go do something.

Crayolan

I just got a switch and Zelda.. I just started but seems like I'm just wondering around and don't know what to do.

Im at a place where I got a magnet thing. Do I just keep on this path? Or just go do something.

You need to find and complete 3 more shrines on the plateau. Try climbing to a high place to get a good vantage point and look around for where they are.

Nyoro SF

The person who guides you in the beginning will always be there if you want to ask him what to do next. His instructions are fairly straightforward, so follow what he says.

What's everybodys favorite region? Mine is Akkala. It's so peaceful up there lol.
Definitely Hebra. My first impression of the region was that it was an empty boring snow region. Turns out it's one of the regions packed with the most secrets. And it even has a shield surfing course built right into the middle of it. Just really well designed throughout.

I beat it the first week with half the map explored. Still playing, Im at over 100 shirines now.

Nice! What motivates you to keep playing? Just exploring and questing?

Yea I still have one more Divine Beast left (Gerudo). I just got the last Great Fairy. 96 shrines over 200 Korok seeds. About 145 hours.

I've been to Hyrule Castle though. Accidently fought Ganon, but didn't try to beat him. I had only completed 2 Divine Beasts so I didn't really want to do that right.

I've had the urge to explore HC for a long time but I'm afraid of accidentally triggering cutscenes or the battle. Trying to see how I can get the
Hylian Shield
without getting end game spoiled.

Me.

4 shrines to go (Well, more like 5. I'm assuming there's one or two around or inside Hyrule Castle (e.g. Castle Town ruins which I haven't seen either), which I'm saving for the grand finale.) It's getting almost impossible to find them, not to mention I refuse to use the sensor.

If I don't find all shrines by Sunday night, I'm beating the game then. I totally need a break from it lol.

You know I said that about 60 hours ago lol. After I beat the last dungeon, I was like "Ok let me just do a few side quests and get a few more shrines and then I'll finish the game. I've spent way too much time already." I took a break for 2 days and I have no idea why but I got some serious Revallis Gale status second wind and I became obsessed about the game like I did when I first started.

I haven't. Got the game on launch and played 15 hours over the first weekend. Since then I haven't played every day but when I have it's an average of 4-5 hours for each session.

I have defeated three divine beasts, found almost 80 shrines, located nearly 170 koroks, found eight of the twelve memories and unlocked and explored all but one region (north-west).

But no, a month later I still haven't completed the game. I'm in no rush to, really. I'm having a blast.

Yep, 75 hours in here and still going. All the divine beasts are beaten, just tearing through side quests and shrines now. No sign of stopping anytime soon.

i'm in that camp. all divine beasts done. almost 100 shrines down. 1 memory left. don't want to think about heading to hyrule castle yet because i know i have a tendency to fall off a game once i beat it. and i don't want this game to end haha! needless to say, i was hesitant to buy the dlc at first. but earlier this week, i preordered it without a questions. this game seriously might be my GOAT

I'm only about 60 hours in, two divine beasts beaten and about half the shrines down (with a few more found but not finished). I paused for a bit to play NieR: Automata among other things, but I'm going so slow mostly because I do not want to end. I want to always know I have something cool to do in Zelda. Keeps me warm at night.

I've played at least a bit every day since March 3 and I still have 2 divine beasts unvisited and only like 35 shrines done, lol. 55 hours so far.

I sometimes have the urge to finish ASAP so I can finally head into the spoiler thread or check out analysis but at the same time I dont want the game to end. I just pick a direction and go and let the game come to me and its so satisfying. The world is so staggeringly huge, if you inspect the map close enough you can easily find areas you haven't yet explored. I've also gotten addicted to finding Korok seeds, something I really didnt care about the first 80-90 hours.

I just realized I have two more memories left to collect so I'm excited to find those later.

Absolutely! 120+ hours, 300+ Korok seeds, 100+ shrines, but I haven't beaten a single Divine Beast yet.

Holy crap. Thats hardcore. You have so much game left, I'm a little jealous.

Peltz

Health and Stamina. Increasing either one makes traversing areas of the game less difficult. It also unlocks warp points on the map which also makes traversal less difficult.

But you're right about me kinda reaching with that one. Not much is locked behind finishing shrines the same way Mario 64 was.

Top Bottom