• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jmartoine

90 hours.

120 shrines completed. 200 or so Korok seeds found. All fours beasts taken down and Ganon defeated. Got about 12 more side quests to mop up but I think I will be putting the game down until the DLC hits.

i t
hought that was going to be the case but i get the reasoning why they didnt go that route. she SHOULD be crazy as fuck though, like whacked out unstable nutjob after spending 100 years with evil incarnate. its more shocking to be that she seems to come out of that scenario as seemingly well adjusted as before

What do you think the reasoning is why they did not go the route I suggested? Have the creators spoken about this? Also, I think
Nintendo would be way less likely to make Zelda insane, than to make her age.

But some form of leadership would probably be necessary to restore their civilasation to its former level or beyond.

Any "leadership" void can be solved between sequels, and through 100s or 1,000s of years.

I get what you mean but I loved the optimism of the ending. That Link and Zelda have a chance to try and restore the glory of Hyrule really warmed my cockles. I only really wish that Ganon wasn't a mindless beast, would've preferred him to take Ganondorf form for the ending.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I thought the ending fell very flat, and I know I am not the only one here on GAF to think that. And while I can 100% sympothize with wanting a more fleshed out villian,
Ganondorf appearing at the end without any context wouldn't have really given us that. It would be like the Twilight Princess twist on steroids.

DonShula

I regret not finishing Twilight Princess HD before playing this, because that game is just gonna feel like shit now lol

I actually did finish TP before playing BOTW - only a week or two between the two games.

I honestly don't think I will ever play TP again. The difference is night and day. Not just visually either. To me going from TP to BOTW is like TV moving from black and white to color.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many weapons slots is enough? I'm at 14 and nearly enough seeds to get a 15th but with so many options it always feels like more is better. I'd like to have a sledgehammer, torch, couple of rods on standby along with some guardian weapons and a mix of spears/swords

170 hours, about 150 seeds and 114 shrines. 6 more shrines before I head to Hyrule Castle.

Anyone else still playing from launch day and haven't beaten the game yet?

Yea I still have one more Divine Beast left (Gerudo). I just got the last Great Fairy. 96 shrines over 200 Korok seeds. About 145 hours.

I've been to Hyrule Castle though. Accidently fought Ganon, but didn't try to beat him. I had only completed 2 Divine Beasts so I didn't really want to do that right.

DonShula

I tend to use the Master Sword very often, even for regular enemies. That way I always have a full weapons inventory and never run the risk of only having a few crappy ones left. I keep 2 or 3 weapons for each element (usually a 1h sword, a 2-hander, and maybe a spear and a wand) + a few Lynel weapons and some random drops.

I got this thing and it's not
glowing
. First time I used it was against a plain old bokoblin. What am I doing wrong?

Chinbo37

I haven't. Got the game on launch and played 15 hours over the first weekend. Since then I haven't played every day but when I have it's an average of 4-5 hours for each session.

I have defeated three divine beasts, found almost 80 shrines, located nearly 170 koroks, found eight of the twelve memories and unlocked and explored all but one region (north-west).

But no, a month later I still haven't completed the game. I'm in no rush to, really. I'm having a blast.

I got the game from Amazon the Tuesday? after launch. I've been playing regularly since then but only put in about 50 hours. Love this game though I wish I had more time to play.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
glowing
Bokoblins are beneath it. Feed it a worthy enemy.

Real answer:
It wasn't forged to fight them, it was forged to fight Ganon and those corrupted by him.

R00bot

glowing
I believe the master sword is only fully powered against monsters corrupted by ganon such as guardians, it'll also be in glowing state against the bosses windblight water ganon, etc. It will always be fully powered when inside hyrule castle because the whole castle is corrupted. Also you can only shoot beams from it when you have full health.

Just finished the game. Overall I loved it, and at times it surpassed my expectations.
Even the ending, wich some people say is weak, left a strong feeling in me. It's probably because of how incredible Hyrule Castle is, and how good the last boss was.
Of course, ther's room for improvement in this game: more unique dungeons and more enemies/mini-bosses are something I would love to see in a sequel. I wouldn't ditch the ALBW style honestly (one dungeon per region while still being open world) since that game was a 10/10 to me.
But the rest... it was just amazing. They really nailed many things with this game, and I think that some gamers won't notice just how good the level design is, even in the smallest things.
Btw, here are the things I loved the most:

- Weapon durability. It makes everything meaningful and even after 140 hours it was still a fun system

- Finding different armors and rare items in shrines or subquests

- Hidden shrines that require environmental puzzles

- The music. Every track was perfect, even though I would have loved an overworld theme, at least after completing some quests...

- Artstyle.

- The lack of fanservice. I mean, there is some very good fanservice there, but the game clearly wants to stand on his own. It's not TP you know...

There are indeed some things that I just liked, or accepted. But I don't want to post spoilers, even tagged.
Well, what else can I say? Nintendo, keep working like this and we all win.

There's like a hole in the middle of an island like thing I saw that kind of looks like a shrine. It looks like I can put osmething in it but I'm not sure what?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
glowing

It only
glows around Hyrule Castle and against guardians. I used to think it glowed near Ganon's evil black/pinkish goo stuff, but it doesn't seem like it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
holy shit you guys should try to replay skyward sword and see how long you can last.

Is there any reason to keep the two
Zora
weapons in my inventory? I know there was a guy in a shop there that said he could repair them at any time, but I didn't know if that was in service of a future quest or what. I've already done
the shrine quest that requires the trident

Nope. You can remake a few special unique weapons, but it's so expensive it's not really worth it. Just gotta find new ones.

Yea that's why I was asking, actually. My special goron weapon is about to break and I was more interested in selling my diamond instead of spending it to remake it.

Follow up question. Are gems at all worth saving for anything?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Zora
weapons in my inventory? I know there was a guy in a shop there that said he could repair them at any time, but I didn't know if that was in service of a future quest or what. I've already done

Not really, no.

Chorazin

Zora

Nope, no reason to keep them.

How do you keep track of how many Korok seeds you've collected after using them for upgrades? Is that even possible?

Every loading screen shows how many you've collected.

DonShula

Bokoblins are beneath it. Feed it a worthy enemy.

Real answer:
It wasn't forged to fight them, it was forged to fight Ganon and those corrupted by him.

I believe the master sword is only fully powered against monsters corrupted by ganon such as guardians, it'll also be in glowing state against the bosses windblight water ganon, etc. It will always be fully powered when inside hyrule castle because the whole castle is corrupted. Also you can only shoot beams from it when you have full health.

It only
glows around Hyrule Castle and against guardians. I used to think it glowed near Ganon's evil black/pinkish goo stuff, but it doesn't seem like it.

Thanks folks. I misunderstood what was "corrupted" in the world. Makes sense now.

maxcriden

Hooo goodness, I was not prepared for how awful the (English) voice acting would be. This isn't even a concept foreign to Nintendo, something like Metroid Prime 3 didn't have very many lines, but they were delivered much more competently. Let alone something like Kid Icarus. I mean, not asking for Uncharted or anything, but it really sours on the presentation a bit.

Outside of that, the game is great!! Just made it to Kakariko Village. The first thing I did when getting off the Great Plateau was to see how close I could get to Hyrule Castle. Got destroyed pretty quick but at least got a few items + a tower probably earlier than most!

Agreed, and glad like us you are enjoying the game otherwise. We mute the game during voice acting sections since there's no option for subtitles only and I recommend that method since it's helped our enjoyment of them considerably.

arlucool

Follow up question. Are gems at all worth saving for anything?

Yes. Gems are used for upgrading the earings and diadems/tiaras you get.

Btw, since I found out that a NPC in Zora Domain trades 10... shinning stones (playing in spanish, don't know the translated name in english) for 1 diamont, I always have more than enough.

I didn't find the voice acting universally terrible, but it's very uneven. I didn't like how Zelda sounded at first but she won me over in the memories. On the other hand, the king's VO is amateur hour and any scenes he spoke in fell flat.

Chrono321

Btw, since I found out that a NPC in Zora Domain trades 10... shinning stones (playing in spanish, don't know the translated name in english) for 1 diamont, I always have more than enough.

Do you remember where this NPC is located normally in Zora's domain? I remember talking to him but have not seen him for a while now.
I keep all shining stones in order to trade them...
Thank you!

Yes. Gems are used for upgrading the earings and diadems/tiaras you get.

Thanks. What have you been doing to make money? I want to buy all the armor in the towns but the most money I've had is like 1100.

En-ou

I have Smash Link and the full Twilight set now and I haven't used it for more than ten seconds. Amiibo costumes are the epitome of worthless: they have no abilities (not even increased defense like the hylian armor, ancient set etc.), which would already make them useless compared to literally any other set in the game, but they went the extra mile and had them require start fragments for every upgrade level. Meaning they will sit there at 3 or 8 defense while everything else is 20 or 28.

Oh, and they can't be dyed. As if they needed to be more useless.

Agreed 120%, Mipha simply breaks the game. Yes, you can disable it, much like you can not use the Crissaegrim in SotN, but the player should not have to actively restrict themselves in order for the game not to turn into a joke.

That doesn't sound like that much. I assume you used a map / guide, right? Even with that I think I would have given up long before that. Congrats!

Omg right? The normal HUD also turns the game into a joke for me. Why should I have to turn it off? The nerve.

DonShula

Do you remember where this NPC is located normally in Zora's domain? I remember talking to him but have not seen him for a while now.
I keep all shining stones in order to trade them...
Thank you!

He's on the main path from the front entrance. Usually standing next to one of the pillars on the left if you're facing northeast. I think he's sometimes working on a pillar with a tool.

Thanks. What have you been doing to make money? I want to buy all the armor in the towns but the most money I've had is like 1100.

Sell all your non-food materials until you find a use for them later.

Agreed 120%, Mipha simply breaks the game. Yes, you can disable it, much like you can not use the Crissaegrim in SotN, but the player should not have to actively restrict themselves in order for the game not to turn into a joke.

Basically every RPG in history can be trivialized if you grind enough and max out your abilities.

DonShula

You won't be upgrading armor early so sell all your gems except for diamonds. Should make plenty of money in no time. Some people cook and then sell what they made, but I've found it easier to just mine and sell off the gems.

Peltz

How did they get the paragliding controls and the shield surfing controls feeling so damn good in this game?

Each one feels good enough to be the basis of its own stand-alone title.

You won't be upgrading armor early so sell all your gems except for diamonds. Should make plenty of money in no time. Some people cook and then sell what they made, but I've found it easier to just mine and sell off the gems.

OK thanks. I'm about to do my 4th divine beast so I'm not really early on. That's why I was getting afraid to sell them. I was doing it earlier but now I'm afraid of running into someone that wants everything haha.

Basically every RPG in history can be trivialized if you grind enough and max out your abilities.

True. The beauty is that you can make this as easy or hard as you want, it's incredibly flexible. You can skip the Divine Beasts all together. Besides, Mipha's Grace has a cooldown, so you're not invincible.

Chinbo37

It's not that much different than bottling fairies in previous games.

Robin64

My one gripe about the Master Sword is that I wish it was recharging when I am not using it, not just when it's broken. If it's low on energy, and I want it for something coming up, I need to break it then wait.

Peltz

This morning I also realized, the Shrines/Spirit Orbs in BotW are a lot like Stars in Super Mario 64. Think about it:

-There are 120 of them
-You don't need all of them to beat the game
-They are hidden throughout the landscape, requiring solving relatively simple or complex puzzles to unlock, or they require you to beat an enemy.
-The more of them you collect, the more the game opens up
-Each one has a title that contains a clue as to how to beat it

RRockman

Banned
This morning I also realized, the Shrines/Spirit Orbs in BotW are a lot like Stars in Super Mario 64. Think about it:

-There are 120 of them
-You don't need all of them to beat the game
-They are hidden throughout the landscape, requiring solving relatively simple or complex puzzles to unlock, or they require you to beat an enemy.
-The more of them you collect, the more the game opens up
-Each one has a title that contains a clue as to how to beat it

realization.gif

maxcriden

We've found a Stal
nox
before, but since then we've noticed some smaller skeletons around Hyrule, like one near Dueling Peaks stable. What do you do with these? We tried waiting for nighttime, bombing them, etc.

Top Bottom