• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Anteo

Nice! What motivates you to keep playing? Just exploring and questing?

I only had 2 beasts cleared when I finished the game so first I wanted to get the master sword and then the other 2 beasts. Now I want to get all 120 shirines.

Also I didnt really intend to beat the game so early. I was on the desert and wanted to hyrule field and then north, castle was nearby so I decided to sneak into there and then I happene to walk into the final boss room (there is no warning that the game ends there, the battle just starts).

Peltz

I just got a switch and Zelda.. I just started but seems like I'm just wondering around and don't know what to do.

Im at a place where I got a magnet thing. Do I just keep on this path? Or just go do something.

Just keep exploring. Don't check this thread or the internet for ANYTHING. Discovery is what this game is all about.

selo

Man, 90 hours into this game and I just finally revealed all of the map last night. I have just the Volcano Divine Beast to go. I've been trying to be thorough in my exploration on each zone, and I've been taking my time filling up the encyclopedia and adding icons on my map to revisit later (sometimes I don't feel like doing the korok puzzles and I just mark them).

What a great game this is, exploring is so much fun, something that is not necessarily true in other open world games.

Futureman

As far as 120 Stars (Mario)/120 Shrines, I was actually thinking how the Shrines remind me of the "void" levels in Mario Sunshine. The Shrines are just pure gameplay zones (puzzle/combat) and all have the same style.

also... this is probably a happy accident as the decision to port BotW to Switch only came a year or so ago, but having these short Shrines instead of huge sprawling dungeons makes more sense on a system like the Switch where many people will be playing on a bus or lunch break.

Going out of town this weekend so will be my first day in 2 or so weeks that I don't play BotW!

gardfish

Has anyone else run into this problem? I bought stocks of arrows from various shops in the world ages ago, and no matter how often I return, they never seem to have restocked. I'm not running into this problem with other buyable items, just arrows--I know they're supposed to restock eventually because I've bought from them multiple times in the past, but no matter how much time passes they don't seem to do so.

Similarly, as I understand it the Gerudo in Goron City who'll pay extra for 10 precious gems is supposed to ask for a different type of gem each day, but she's been asking for diamonds for ages and ages now.

zigg

I've had the urge to explore HC for a long time but I'm afraid of accidentally triggering cutscenes or the battle. Trying to see how I can get the
Hylian Shield
without getting end game spoiled.
It's pretty easy to avoid anything out of the ordinary. I went in for
the last memory
and once you're in, you see a map with the end goal clearly marked. Getting the thing you want is nowhere near that end goal. I didn't see any cutscenes or anything.

Any chance Nintendo patches in the ability to buy the "official" pictures of items/enemies (esp. one-time enemies) you already have, in case the photo you took is terrible? Getting a decent pic of
Thunderblight Ganon
was nearly impossible, and spending 20 minutes of a boss fight taking pics is not fun.

Peltz

Has anyone else run into this problem? I bought stocks of arrows from various shops in the world ages ago, and no matter how often I return, they never seem to have restocked. I'm not running into this problem with other buyable items, just arrows--I know they're supposed to restock eventually because I've bought from them multiple times in the past, but no matter how much time passes they don't seem to do so.

Similarly, as I understand it the Gerudo in Goron City who'll pay extra for 10 precious gems is supposed to ask for a different type of gem each day, but she's been asking for diamonds for ages and ages now.

Restart your system.

Crayolan

Any chance Nintendo patches in the ability to buy the "official" pictures of items/enemies (esp. one-time enemies) you already have, in case the photo you took is terrible? Getting a decent pic of
Thunderblight Ganon
was nearly impossible, and spending 20 minutes of a boss fight taking pics is not fun.

Pretty sure you can already do this after you beat the game once.

Nyoro SF

To clarify, this has been happening over multiple play sessions. My system's been turned on and off a multitude of times.

Someone mentioned that if you have a certain number of arrows in stock, shops will stop restocking them.

I noticed this myself near endgame, when I had over 150 arrows, stores would no longer stock regular arrows for me to buy. Perhaps that is it?

Timeaisis

What's everybodys favorite region? Mine is Akkala. It's so peaceful up there lol.

Gerudo Dessert
hands down. Just really well designed area where everything felt like it "fit" together. Props to having the best town, the best minibosses, and probably the best sidequests, too. That sweet overhead base above the cliffs. Just so cool. Also
Seal Surfing
is too fun.
2. Faron Wetlands because it's so visually different than what I'd be exploring up till then. I love the tropical theme, and I loved the ruins in the rain. And, of course, after exploring you are rewarded with finding
Lurelin
. I know other people disliked this region, but I stumbled upon it more late game where I thought I'd seen everything so it was a very welcome surprise.
3. Lanayru because it was the first region I really dug into and completely explored. I spent like 30 hours in there I sear haha.

I liked Hebra a lot, but I got there way late, so I wasn't as excited as some others, as I'd already seen snow before. :p

SM239

How many arrows do you have currently? I ran into the same thing then someone told me that if you have too many arrows they won't re-stock. I used up some of my arrow supplies then all of a sudden arrows became available to purchase. It may have just been a coincidence, but it lined up all too well.

The Gerudo will keep asking for the same jem until you give them what they want (haven't tried resetting the system). Sell the jems she's asking for then before you talk to her again save the game. You can reload that save until she asks for what you want.

gardfish

Someone mentioned that if you have a certain number of arrows in stock, shops will stop restocking them.

I noticed this myself near endgame, when I had over 150 arrows, stores would no longer stock regular arrows for me to buy. Perhaps that is it?

That would definitely explain it, thanks.

Takat

Thunderblight Ganon

I think you can get all the album covered from the Hateno lab guy. Talk to him several times.

I think you can get all the album covered from the Hateno lab guy. Talk to him several times.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. You can't buy photos of things you already have in your compendium. That means if you took a shitty pic of something missable, you're stuck with that pic forever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For
the ball
in kakariko village, do I have to do
divine beasts and memories
? I think I've done all side quests there

Final dungeon spoilers:

Goddamn, Hyrule Castle is so good! Multiple points of entry, intricate and interconnected layout, bombable walls revealing hidden rooms, even some Koroks are hanging out (the balls on these guys...).

Why weren't all the major dungeons like this? :((( The castle makes them look even worse than they already did.

I tried to pick a favorite region but couldn't. I can think of at least one WOW moment I've had for every region in the game. I found all of them memorable in their own way.

Appleman

Having trouble finding
the VERY last memory, got all 12 in the album but I can't put my finger on where this last one is, but feel like I've been there (I've searched in a "half-day" circle based on the info from kakariko)
. I want to get the last one before heading into the castle, it feels like it's east hyrule field but I can't find it!

Having trouble finding
the VERY last memory, got all 12 in the album but I can't put my finger on where this last one is, but feel like I've been there (I've searched in a "half-day" circle based on the info from kakariko)
. I want to get the last one before heading into the castle, it feels like it's east hyrule field but I can't find it!

Do you need a hint?

You probably visited the area relatively early in the game

Slightly more on-the-nose hint:
It's in an area with a prominent amount of dead Guardians

Charamiwa

Banned
What's everybodys favorite region? Mine is Akkala. It's so peaceful up there lol.

Mine is absolutely Akkala. I just love everything about it. From the foreboding fortress and the old road alongside the Zora's mountains, to the beautiful fields and the lake. Also that road to the lab is so cozy, with the stable and the blue flames. To upgrade a tunic I had to catch some bugs in the forests there, just doing that was so peaceful. And of course, Tarrey Town.

Final dungeon spoilers:

Goddamn, Hyrule Castle is so good! Multiple points of entry, intricate and interconnected layout, bombable walls revealing hidden rooms, even some Koroks are hanging out (the balls on these guys...).

Why weren't all the major dungeons like this? :((( The castle makes them look even worse than they already did.
They really outdid themselves with that doungeon. Overall, even if the shrines make everything fragmented, the puzzles and the level desing in this game were fantastic.

Regarding regions, I forgot to say that Akkala to me is actually the worst one. Many combat shrines, a lot of rain and it's just... not that interesting to me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hyrule Castle reminds me of a D
eus Ex
level in all the best ways. There's an NPC who tells you
multiple approaches to the place
that just highlights how much love was put into that area. I also love how the NPC also goes "well, the champion of legend would
just walk right in and destroy everything in his way" and there's an actual path on the map that lets you do exactly that and feel like a huge badass the whole way through.

The music is also freaking amazing in the place, though I was surprised that I started to get tired of it after hearing it for hours.

LaNaranja

So is this pretty much what everyone's house looks like?

http://imgur.com/vlC4KEF

The weapon fragility sucks. I wish that these weapons were on a cool down :/

I think I am just about ready to be done with the game. A lot of fun to be had but the weapons breaking is never fun. I have one picture left to find, once I do that I think I'll go to Gannon.

(Gyro puzzles)worst shit in the game

I do not understand this at all. What can people possibly be doing to have this reaction? I enjoyed ever gyro puzzle, they aren't even puzzles, more like toys. They were easy and intuitive but fun to manipulate. What can people possibly be doing to have problems with these? I can see a bit of an issue if you are playing in portable mode, in that you do have to take off the joycons to do these puzzles otherwise you might lose sight of the screen, but I can't see that specific inconvenience eliciting such venom. Seriously, what are people doing that the shrines with gyro toys in them give such a problem?

Yup. I'd rather display the champion's weapons than use them. I like weapon durability though. Those could use a buff of some sort, however.

Oreoleo

I do not understand this at all. What can people possibly be doing to have this reaction? I enjoyed ever gyro puzzle, they aren't even puzzles, more like toys. They were easy and intuitive but fun to manipulate. What can people possibly be doing to have problems with these? I can see bit of an issue if you are playing in portable mode, in that you do have to take off the joycons to do these puzzles otherwise you might lose sight of the screen, but I can't see that specific inconvenience eliciting such venom. Seriously, what are people doing that the shrines with gyro toys in them give such a problem?

The only one I took issue with (so far, only 65 or so shrines done) was the one where you had to guide the ball through the maze by tilting the ground. The camera angle made it incredibly hard/near impossible to tell how level the ground was, or if the exit of the maze was lined up with where the ball needed to be dropped. Pure tedium. The rest have been fine!

The only one I took issue with (so far, only 65 or so shrines done) was the one where you had to guide the ball through the maze by tilting the ground. The camera angle made it incredibly hard/near impossible to tell how level the ground was, or if the exit of the maze was lined up with where the ball needed to be dropped. Pure tedium. The rest have been fine!

The marble maze was the only one to give me a little bit of challenge. I can see what you mean by the camera angle but it wasn't necessary to be all that accurate. I suppose I just like marble mazes, it was as if BotW had a tiny slice of Kororinpa in it. For me, the challenge in that one wasn't the camera angle but the inertia of the stone sphere, it was easy to over correct since the stone sphere had a lot of weight to it.

Edit: Yes, I know you could turn the maze upside down. No I did not choose to do that.

emb

That one was really difficult, but I think
the whole maze part was meant to be misleading. I've seen several people mention that they gamed the system by turning it upside down. Seems to me that upside down was actually the intended solution. That last exit bit of the maze itself was too obnoxious.

Ashby

That one was really difficult, but I think
the whole maze part was meant to be misleading. I've seen several people mention that they gamed the system by turning it upside down. Seems to me that upside down was actually the intended solution. That last exit bit of the maze itself was too obnoxious.

I found
turning it upside actually super difficult. I couldn't control it that way.
I just lined up the exit of the maze with where the ball was being spit out

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

The weapon fragility sucks. I wish that these weapons were on a cool down :/

I think I am just about ready to be done with the game. A lot of fun to be had but the weapons breaking is never fun. I have one picture left to find, once I do that I think I'll go to Gannon.
Yep, I did that too.

How did you get the table? I don't think I got that option.

One very positive aspect of this game that I rarely see mentioned, is that all the minigames are optional and not required for some unique item or story progression, nor do they count as sidequests. Instead, they're just mindless fun if you want to get rupees or beat your own record :)

I noticed that too.
Sand walrus racing
unlocks a shrine, but it's really easy compared to the others, which is quite nice. The only true exceptions I can think of are
horse fence jumping
and
horseback archery
, which are both actually challenging and each gives you a unique
saddle and bridle

The marble maze was a thing of beauty for the fact that you don't have to solve it traditionally :)

I solved mine, and had a really good laugh, by tilting the whole maze sideways, and using the edge to guide my marble

Red

I'm pretty sure I just found a ski ball ramp.

Link's expression in this fish hat my emotion tryna figure it out

My house has all three Great elemental weapons. Frost, Thunder, Fire. All the shields are Guardian shields and all the bows are Lynels. My room is lit up like a club and it's freaking awesome.

Pls add more house customization options in the patch Ninty. I want a balcony.

I just want to be able to go into my back room. Doesn't matter if there's nothing in there, I'm just annoyed that there's a door to my own house that I can't open.

Wood Man

Anyone else got the Twilight Bow? I think I got it from my Zelda amiibo last night. I'm afraid to use it. It looks like it uses it's own special light arrows not found anywhere else in the game. I'm guessing this would be useful against Gannon bosses.

Top Bottom