• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

klier

Anyone else got the Twilight Bow? I think I got it from my Zelda amiibo last night. I'm afraid to use it. It looks like it uses it's own special light arrows not found anywhere else in the game. I'm guessing this would be useful against Gannon bosses.

It's an exclusive Amiibo item. Shoots arrows as if they were goddamn lasers. No arch.

Nyoro SF

I just want to be able to go into my back room. Doesn't matter if there's nothing in there, I'm just annoyed that there's a door to my own house that I can't open.

Now that you mention it, that kind of annoyed me too. That and the house needs more windows too. Link's man cave is too cave-like. Maybe it's because of my upbringing but it's strange to see a house without windows facing the main entrance.

Stopdoor

Does it break? I'm thinking about saving it for the end game.

Is it specifically effective against certain enemies?

I think its only special property is it shoots arrows in a straight line without them dropping. All weapons break, but I'm pretty sure you can re-farm amiibo weapons?

I’ve been struggling to stick with Breath of the Wild lately. Its charm was so strong for the first 10 hours, but every time I’ve played it since my interest in it has declined.

Right now I’m at the halfway point (based on the key signifiers of progress and map coverage). I’ve been doing a bit of exploring and some side quests, but I’ve mostly been working through the main story. Every couple of hours something happens where I think to myself, “Wow, this is brilliant.” But is that worth dozens of hours of playtime?

I love the way the game looks and the design aesthetic, but I find it quite boring to play. The combat isn’t fun, especially after recently playing Dark Souls and NieR: Automata. I’ve been feeling like I’m missing something with the combat. I have mostly avoided it by running away or sneaking past.

The plot premise is an interesting take on the setup, but it isn’t really motivating me to move forward with the game. I hope there’s more to it than just going and defeating Ganon because that’s the one thing I'm holding out hope for.

I like the concept of exploring the large world, but between the slow climbing and lack of what feels like worthwhile rewards, I’m feeling kind of done with it. Cooking is neat the first dozen times, but it now feels like a chore. Getting a korok seed or shrine orb is neat, but it doesn’t feel like incentive enough for me to go to every corner of the map.

The game strangely feels like work to me. It’s like I have a checklist of things I should do, but none of it is particularly compelling. Completing shrines, getting korok seeds, exploring the map, doing side quests, etc. isn’t something I find myself wanting to do.

I loved A Link Between Worlds, but something feels off to me with Breath of the Wild. What do y’all think, am I broken? Do things pick-up and change, or am I lost a lost cause in regards to Breath of the Wild?

I loved A Link Between Worlds, but something feels off to me with Breath of the Wild. What do y’all think, am I broken? Do things pick-up and change, or am I lost a lost cause in regards to Breath of the Wild?

This is the point where you stop playing for a while and pick up a new game. Then if you feel like going back someday you can, but there's no point in playing a game if you're not enjoying yourself. It doesn't mean you're broken, you probably just have different preferences for gameplay.

The person who guides you in the beginning will always be there if you want to ask him what to do next. His instructions are fairly straightforward, so follow what he says.

Hmm.. ok. So, like, in all the open world games I play, the games tell me to go left, I go right. But in this I didn't want to miss anything, cause it seems very hand crafted. So I'll try and follow him for a bit... but as soon as I can I'm doing my own thing! 🤗

You need to find and complete 3 more shrines on the plateau. Try climbing to a high place to get a good vantage point and look around for where they are.

Ok cool.. thanks for the info.

Ok, I'm starting to see why this game is so revered. And am very surprised at the power in the handheld mode. Zelda looks great!

Just got to the K
orok
F
orest
and... wow. Really disappointed that they let these framerate drops go through - I was willing to look past the occasional dips when there was just too much grass and it stuttered a little, but even just looking around in this area makes the frames drop constantly. I'm hoping it works a little better in handheld mode, as I can't help but feel that the natural beauty and impact of the area is being severely diminished by the whole experience feeling chunky and making me feel slightly nauseous.

Really enjoying the game otherwise, though. Two "dungeons" in so far, and I appreciate the different formula. Sincerely hope that the next Zelda brings back some of the more traditional stuff, though - nothing in this game so far scratches quite the same itch as good old Zelda item progression and dungeon puzzle solving. Even just tweaking the shrines would help - I enjoyed one near G
oron
C
ity
that
had a handful of puzzles and even a small key to its name. Felt like a proper mini-dungeon, or maybe like a Portal test chamber, and was a lot more fun than your average "one puzzle" shrine.

I’ve been struggling to stick with Breath of the Wild lately. Its charm was so strong for the first 10 hours, but every time I’ve played it since my interest in it has declined.

Right now I’m at the halfway point (based on the key signifiers of progress and map coverage). I’ve been doing a bit of exploring and some side quests, but I’ve mostly been working through the main story. Every couple of hours something happens where I think to myself, “Wow, this is brilliant.” But is that worth dozens of hours of playtime?

I love the way the game looks and the design aesthetic, but I find it quite boring to play. The combat isn’t fun, especially after recently playing Dark Souls and NieR: Automata. I’ve been feeling like I’m missing something with the combat. I have mostly avoided it by running away or sneaking past.

The plot premise is an interesting take on the setup, but it isn’t really motivating me to move forward with the game. I hope there’s more to it than just going and defeating Ganon because that’s the one thing I'm holding out hope for.

I like the concept of exploring the large world, but between the slow climbing and lack of what feels like worthwhile rewards, I’m feeling kind of done with it. Cooking is neat the first dozen times, but it now feels like a chore. Getting a korok seed or shrine orb is neat, but it doesn’t feel like incentive enough for me to go to every corner of the map.

The game strangely feels like work to me. It’s like I have a checklist of things I should do, but none of it is particularly compelling. Completing shrines, getting korok seeds, exploring the map, doing side quests, etc. isn’t something I find myself wanting to do.

Not at all. If I'm being honest, the feeling of discovery and roleplaying surviving in the harsh wilderness faded quickly after the ~10 hour mark and was replaced with a much more standard open-world game, and I would attribute that largely to the fact that Nintendo remained pretty rigid in how it organized its content. It's certainly a way to keep the experience more or less uniform, but I feel they really could have done away with some of the rigidity.

Still, though, I do keep coming back but don't fault anyone who's bouncing off of it after the feeling of discovery of the game's mechanics is over and done with.

Koren

Hmm.. ok. So, like, in all the open world games I play, the games tell me to go left, I go right. But in this I didn't want to miss anything, cause it seems very hand crafted. So I'll try and follow him for a bit... but as soon as I can I'm doing my own thing! 🤗
You probably worry far too much. The plateau is a clever tutorial, and the guy will be able to teach you a couple things, but you can completely skip those, you'll discover things yourself later.

He's just there so you can't get stuck too long.

Just enjoy the trip.

By the way, the plateau may seem disorientating at first, but I finally came back after probably more than 100 hours, and I was surprised it was so small and so easy to catch when you got used to the whole game...

Ok cool.. thanks for the info.

Ok, I'm starting to see why this game is so revered. And am very surprised at the power in the handheld mode. Zelda looks great!

That guy is only there to make your life easier in the tutorial. Once you complete his quests you are left one your own. Once you are able to leave the plateau, go to the one village he marked out for you to understand your future goals. Beyond that, the game turns you completely loose. You have to figure our your approach on your own.

13ruce

Banned
My only huge problen with this game are the meh Story and Dungeon rest is perfect.

Those 2 things can easily be improved in the next game and the dlc can fix that slightly with the story and dungeon dlc.

Can't wait to hard mode btw in summer and cave of trials.

This game is my No. 1 Zelda game shared with Twilight Princess. Even with the problens i have with the story, because the world was so great and some of the characters still had some charm.

Currently at 150 hours.

TheJoRu

OMG, finally found the final
Fairy Fountain. As it probably was for like 90% of people it was the one in the desert. Can't imagine anything else seeing how well they hid it.

I haven't gone to the tower so I knew nothing about the landscape. So I just went into this sandstorm surfing my shield, sort of expecting a "you can't go any further" at any moment because I was seemingly right at the edge of the map. But then, imagine my shock as I emerged out of the storm right in front of a huge Leviathan bone creature, and inside it spotting a shrine and that Fairy Fountain I had spent an entire 4-hour session looking for. Worth it just for this discovery...and for that 4-star animation, lol.

Red

I like it more every time I play. My main frustration is that not everything is attainable until some requirements are met. These instances are rare, so they don't bother me too much, but since the rest of the game allows the player virtually complete freedom, they are a little disappointing. I'm thinking specifically of
korok puzzles that require specific items (i.e. Zora armor), and whatever story beat is required for the dragons to spawn freely.

I also wish there was more variation to enemies and creatures in the overworld. I think combat is great, but there are so few enemy types that the enchantment I had early on discovering new monsters quickly faded once I left the Plateau. It's still cool to wander over a boulder only for it to rise and become a Talus, but wouldn't it be great if surprise encounters happened elsewhere as well? Imagine climbing a huge tree only for it to uproot and begin walking around the earth. There is so much wonder untapped.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Questions for gerudo town - there are two moments when it seems like you'd want to hand something over, but I don't seem to be able to. One is someone
lookimg for poultry. I have big and small, raw and cooked
, the other is someone needing
two heart shaped vegetables. I have hearty radishes which I guessed was right?

I tried holding them like you'd feed a horse an apple, tried dropping them on the floor, nothing.

That guy is only there to make your life easier in the tutorial. Once you complete his quests you are left one your own. Once you are able to leave the plateau, go to the one village he marked out for you to understand your future goals. Beyond that, the game turns you completely loose. You have to figure our your approach on your own.

Ok fasho.. I'm bout to get on it right now

Crayolan

Not at all. If I'm being honest, the feeling of discovery and roleplaying surviving in the harsh wilderness faded quickly after the ~10 hour mark and was replaced with a much more standard open-world game, and I would attribute that largely to the fact that Nintendo remained pretty rigid in how it organized its content. It's certainly a way to keep the experience more or less uniform, but I feel they really could have done away with some of the rigidity.

Still, though, I do keep coming back but don't fault anyone who's bouncing off of it after the feeling of discovery of the game's mechanics is over and done with.

I can agree that there's a point where the magic wears off and you feel like you've seen everything unique the game has to offer, but I have no idea how people are getting to that point in 10 hours. 10 hours in I'm pretty sure all I did was finish the plateau, explore Hyrule Castle and start making my way to the Gerudo region, where I spent the next 10+ hours.

I didn't hit *that point* until at least 40-50 hours in, and if there was more enemy variety or overworld bosses that easily could have gone for another 20 hours or so. Even then the game is still fun to play, it's just not as mysterious and your expectations start to level out.

Can I just say that I get genuinely freaked out when you encounter a Y
iga
C
lan
member with their
messed-up stories / introductions then the fights. I find them quite unsettling somehow. Love it, and they're definitely something I didn't expect in Zelda.

Nyoro SF

iga
C
lan
member with their
messed-up stories / introductions then the fights. I find them quite unsettling somehow. Love it, and they're definitely something I didn't expect in Zelda.

I'm thinking of something that starts with an L... and ends with a K...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
180 hours in just learned that a hammer can break
breakable rock
anyone that hates this game is an idiot

fact

iga
C
lan
member with their
Master Kohga has a
dumb belly.

iga
C
lan
member with their

Yeah, I find them disturbing even though they're not that threatening. That little piano makes the moment even more unsettling.

What's everybodys favorite region? Mine is Akkala. It's so peaceful up there lol.

Maybe an odd choice, but I really like the giant canyon around the Tabantha region (I forgot the specific name of it). There's nothing terribly interesting down there, but it really drives home the vertical nature of the game and I was so excited when I initially found it and jumped all the way down to explore. Plus it's awesome when
the dragon flies through it.

Steejee

Anyone else got the Twilight Bow? I think I got it from my Zelda amiibo last night. I'm afraid to use it. It looks like it uses it's own special light arrows not found anywhere else in the game. I'm guessing this would be useful against Gannon bosses.

I have one and have used it a decent amount, still not damaged yet. Anytime I need straight shot arrows (for like a long shot or koroks) I'll break it out. It only shoots the light arrows, can't shoot normal/bomb/etc, and the light arrows are infinite. Damage wise it seems weaker than the high end bows but for picking off moblins it's good.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have one and have used it a decent amount, still not damaged yet. Anytime I need straight shot arrows (for like a long shot or koroks) I'll break it out. It only shoots the light arrows, can't shoot normal/bomb/etc, and the light arrows are infinite. Damage wise it seems weaker than the high end bows but for picking off moblins it's good.
the
guardian bow)
also does the same straight liek super straight tried it.
was like shooting a gun

Finished this finally, clocked in at 65 hours.

Ending spoilers:
Definitely among the weakest of the series. It's not helped by the fact that the story doesn't really go anywhere after the King talks to you. From that point forward everything is "ok go do this" followed by "ok cool you did it". They tried to give some characters something to do, like Revali not liking Link, but it was all pretty shallow window dressing. Story was definitely not what they were going for, which in a way is fine, but on the other hand you do miss endings with a bittersweet tinge. At the very least I was hoping for an extended credits sequence similar to Ocarina of Time that shows moments of secondary characters as they celebrate the scourge of Ganon being defeated. I mean it's a pretty big fucken' deal, but you end up not hearing anything about anyone. Hard to feel attached to any characters since all they do is tell you what to do, hardly any chance for them to grow and be developed as characters.

Game-wise, I think I already mentioned above what I generally feel about the game. To be clear, I think it's absolutely fantastic and is probably gonna be my GOTY, but I feel like Nintendo could've definitely been a bit more creative about their doling out side content. Tedium just sets in a little too fast for me, and while I realize that's a threshold that's completely different from player to player, I think Nintendo could've done its part to keep things fresher longer. Eventually some of the mechanics wore thin, especially the can't-climb-while-raining. That was just shitty and made things needlessly tedious.

But overall I'm extremely happy with the game and what it has done to advance the Zelda formula beyond what has been tried and true. I'm certain Nintendo has very clear ideas about what to do and I'm very excited to see where they're going with this new take on Zelda. I'm definitely in the camp of hoping to see more variety in the side content as well as a much, much stronger narrative.

EDIT: Regarding the ending, I think it's also pretty disappointing that
there's no post-game, the game drops you right back into the Ganon-ified Hyrule Castle. The castle should've been emptied with the Ganon-ification gone like in the ending, IMO.

Zero²

Sometimes I wonder if I'll have time to finish this game until the end of the year, I'm already skipping my sleep time to play it :p I'm truly amazed, I think not even skyrim made me so engrossed with the world, this sense of adventure, always going in a different route and finding new places/things. My most fun time this past week is hunting blue and red lynels when I see them, it's challenging but fair, which is funny when I think that I feared them so much in the beginning of the game haha

Hattori

Banned
Just beat the the game, I'm kinda sad because my story journey is over but I still have some carrots to keep me going like quests, shrines, and obtaining and upgrading armors. I'm definitely looking forward to the DLCs now.

BD1

Banned
I was a little disappointed by Kass's story after finishing all his quests.
It added some nice depth to Zelda, but I was hoping for some sort of wink wink fan service connecting Kass to the greater Zelda lore.

Speely

Banned
Went on a Guardian killing spree for the first time in Hyrule Field while looking for a certain memory (GRRRR,) and it was a blast.
Yiga Clan
members kept adding in the middle of combat, making it a fun challenge. They were spawning like crazy, the opportunistic fucks. ;)

Cemented my decision to not buy any more
ancient
armor or arrows (I have the legs because I thought I would need them,) but I sorta want the shield, bow, and maybe short sword, just because they look cool. Heard the shield might be a little OP though?

Tonight's goal: last two memories and upgrade my
barbarian
set fully, and maybe the
voe
and
snowquill
sets as well if I have time.

kunonabi

That's it I'm just never taking the Thunder Helm off
since the game obviously doesn't want me use the equipment I want.

keakster

Got my revenge on the Lynel in Ploymus Mountain. 150 hours later I returned to settle the score.

That was definitely one of the best moments of the game for me. First encounter I ended up sneaking around him after dying a bunch and watching him murder my Wolf. Coming back with better gear and a solid understanding of the combat mechanics made it a satisfying slaughter

Do you guys think Hard Mode will make every enemy as challenging fun as facing a lynel?

Also is it in the realm of possibility for nintendo to give ganons second form some more attacks? Or anything to make that fight fun......

SomTervo

After nearly 70 hours, i think I'm gonna stop playing and I've only done one dungeon :/ i just don't have the interest anymore. Could just go to Hyrule castle now and at least see the ending i suppose, but in terms of exploring the rest of the map and finishing the other dungeons, i don't know if i have it in me.

Turned off after half an hour this morning, just don't have it in me atm, which is sad. Might try and come back in a few months.

Edit - like this basically. Im burnt out on it. I'm actually looking forward to just dicking about in Lego city on Friday.

Um. If you're lacking direction you need to pick a direction. I literally get this exact vibe and whenever i do i choose a main quest and focus on it.

But it's an active choice. You have to recognise when the open world is burning you out then pick a more linear, gated adventure.

Up until 10 days ago i hadn't done a single DB with over 40 hours played. I started getting really bored and didn't pick it up for a few days. Then i thought "at least finish the main content" and started smashing the DBs - now I'm addicted again. Have three down. It feels totally different. With new abilities, exploration feels fresh again too.

Always cleanses the palette.

Nyoro SF

Do you guys think Hard Mode will make every enemy as challenging fun as facing a lynel?

In order for Hard Mode to work they're going to have to re-evaluate almost every part of the game to make it worthwhile, but I don't think they'd do that as it would make the game more tedious than hard.

Wood Man

Anyone else too scared to fight Lynel's for most of the game? I maned up when I saw I needed Lynel parts to upgrade the Barbarian armor. They're not too bad but they take off huge chunks of health if you make a little mistake. The Lynel's with swords are easier since I pretty much got the timing of their swings down.

I usually equip a one handed sword and shield with the Barbarian armor. And if I have it an armor buff. I try to take out 2 or 3 before the buff wears off. There's a nice area I usually farm in the north east part of Hyrule were there's two right next to each other.

Anyone else too scared to fight Lynel's for most of the game? I maned up when I saw I needed Lynel parts to upgrade the Barbarian armor. They're not too bad but they take off huge chunks of health if you make a little mistake. The Lynel's with swords are easier since I pretty much got the timing of their swings down.

I usually equip a one handed sword and shield with the Barbarian armor. And if I have it an armor buff. I try to take out 2 or 3 before the buff wears off. There's a nice area I usually farm in the north east part of Hyrule were there's two right next to each other.
Nah, they're probably the most fun things to fight in the game.

Top Bottom