• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Anyone else too scared to fight Lynel's for most of the game? I maned up when I saw I needed Lynel parts to upgrade the Barbarian armor. They're not too bad but they take off huge chunks of health if you make a little mistake. The Lynel's with swords are easier since I pretty much got the timing of their swings down.

I usually equip a one handed sword and shield with the Barbarian armor. And if I have it an armor buff. I try to take out 2 or 3 before the buff wears off. There's a nice area I usually farm in the north east part of Hyrule were there's two right next to each other.
Early on there's a bit of dread walking into a Lynel fight. These days it feels like I'm hunting them for sport and surprised if they can get a good hit in.

I tried to get the Lynel to fight me at the same time as the Hinox at the Lanayru East Gate (its possible). The Hinox died too quickly though lol.

Finally finished the game, wow what a masterpiece. I'll admit I was getting a bit burnt out on exploring towards the end however.

The "dungeons" and shrines are very well done though. Crazy how you start on the Plateau with a tree branch and work your way to the end getting stronger and stronger. Insane to see how far you come. Excited for the future of the series. Just hope in the next one they make the dungeons bigger and more like how they were in past games.

psychotron

Can I just say that I get genuinely freaked out when you encounter a Y
iga
C
lan
member with their
messed-up stories / introductions then the fights. I find them quite unsettling somehow. Love it, and they're definitely something I didn't expect in Zelda.

I was in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, when I saw lightning hit a tree and down it. The guy standing next to it was looking terrified. I went over to see if he was okay. Well the fucker busted out two metal fish hooks and came at me. I nearly shit myself because I had no weapons I could use in the storm. He leaped into the air and was instantly vaporized by a bolt of lightning. I laughed for a good five minutes straight.

Speely

Banned
Anyone else too scared to fight Lynel's for most of the game? I maned up when I saw I needed Lynel parts to upgrade the Barbarian armor. They're not too bad but they take off huge chunks of health if you make a little mistake. The Lynel's with swords are easier since I pretty much got the timing of their swings down.

I usually equip a one handed sword and shield with the Barbarian armor. And if I have it an armor buff. I try to take out 2 or 3 before the buff wears off. There's a nice area I usually farm in the north east part of Hyrule were there's two right next to each other.

I definitely was afraid for many hours of play. They can be brutal. Once I got some decent food and gear, they became the high-point of the game for me. I agree that the sword lynels are easier with the timing... Flurry rushes are a lot easier to pull off with them.

I eased into Lynel fights by focusing on the ones near tall grass. The updraft from their fire breathing gave me easy headshots for the stun.

Now I just like standing toe-to-toe. I don't ever use
Stasis
+ because it fucks with the rhythm of the fight and also feels cheesy. I take some hits (and they hurt!) but the fights are just so damn fun.

After backing away from this game a bit and playing other stuff, its made me realize just how great this game is. I just finished Automata and there's just so many issues I had with it that were really tedious to me. Not a bad game and I liked some things about it, but upon reflection I never really felt this way about Zelda. It never annoyed me and I never felt like anything about it was tedious or repetitive, at least not on a notable level.

This isn't me ragging on Nier, and I feel this way about other games. Just find it interesting that again upon reflection I'm like, huh, yeah nothing about Zelda annoyed me or made me feel fatigued or that I was participating in tons of repetition.

Kandinsky

119 shrines so far, only the korok scort hero quest left and I just got the last recuerdo, my god, that was amazing, the LA spanish dub is just perfect.

I really cant wait for the story dlc now D:

TheExodu5

Banned
Um. If you're lacking direction you need to pick a direction. I literally get this exact vibe and whenever i do i choose a main quest and focus on it.

But it's an active choice. You have to recognise when the open world is burning you out then pick a more linear, gated adventure.

Up until 10 days ago i hadn't done a single DB with over 40 hours played. I started getting really bored and didn't pick it up for a few days. Then i thought "at least finish the main content" and started smashing the DBs - now I'm addicted again. Have three down. It feels totally different. With new abilities, exploration feels fresh again too.

Always cleanses the palette.

Yep. I'm pretty much doing one DB after the other and exploring areas or shrines along the way when I want to. Just finished the prereq quest to my 2nd DB and I'm at 35 shrines or so. Just letting it flow naturally without feeling the need to check every nook and cranny of the map.

I feel like the game is set up in a way that doesn't force you to burn out. There aren't a ton of collectible icons on the map that you need to check off. If you're working your way towards objectives, you'll only see a fraction of the shrines in the game. There are more than enough korok seeds without needing to hunt them all. I feel the game is really well designed in that sense.

I usually feel the burnout in games like Assassin's Creed. I'll start by trying to get all the collectibles, and then I'll burn out halfway and just mainline the rest of the game. With Breath of the Wild, I feel like things just flow naturally. I go where I please and don't feel the need to check anything off some objective list.

Is there an extra reward or quest for completing everything in Rito Village? There is for Kakariko and Gerudo, but nothing for Rito so far.

Pretty sure I did every quest in there

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
After backing away from this game a bit and playing other stuff, its made me realize just how great this game is. I just finished Automata and there's just so many issues I had with it that were really tedious to me. Not a bad game and I liked some things about it, but upon reflection I never really felt this way about Zelda. It never annoyed me and I never felt like anything about it was tedious or repetitive, at least not on a notable level.

This isn't me ragging on Nier, and I feel this way about other games. Just find it interesting that again upon reflection I'm like, huh, yeah nothing about Zelda annoyed me or made me feel fatigued or that I was participating in tons of repetition.
It's great because you didn't find gaping flaws?

gardfish

Is there an extra reward or quest for completing everything in Rito Village? There is for Kakariko and Gerudo, but nothing for Rito so far.

Pretty sure I did every quest in there

No, but there is a reward of sorts connected to it for
completing all of Kass's quests.

It's great because you didn't find gaping flaws?

Nah. I've always found it great. Just an observation. Like I said nothing about the game annoyed me on any notable level. I think that adds to how great it is and is absolutely part of why it's so good.

Every game I've played since have just felt so janky and tedious by comparison, except Persona so far.

I think you just need to visit all the towers, if you mean getting the topography of the map filled in. For area icons you'll need from find and visit those areas.

If you pull up the map

on the left side you will see something like this

36.88/100%
current world time
current area temperature

every time I find a new Korok seed it seems to change the number a little so I was wondering if there are more things that affect you percentage

I've been to so many areas 120 shrines / 161 seeds / all of the Medal of Honors done
still at this 36%

I would think all of those mini bosses would have been in areas that discovered more of the map than just 37%

epmode

Just bought a pro controller for this game and I found that it makes a little clicking noise every time I move an analog stick out of neutral. It's driving me nuts and it doesn't happen with any of my other controllers (including the joycons). Is this normal for the Switch pro controller? I've already returned another pro for the same reason (although it only affected one of the two sticks)

kunonabi

If you pull up the map

36.88/100%
current world time
current area temperature

every time I find a new Korok seed it seems to change the number a little so I was wondering if there are more things that affect you percentage

I've been to so many areas 120 shrines / 161 seeds / all of the Medal of Honors done
still at this 36%

I would think all of those mini bosses would have been in areas that discovered more of the map than just 37%

points of interest on the map count too. I was at 99.17% when I got the last korok. It turned out I missing a bunch of bridges and ruins.

I've beat the game, done all 120 shrines and am just wandering around looking for side quests and the Yiga clan is still attacking me. This is super annoying. So are the skeletons as well. Sometimes at the same time as the Yiga clan. While I'm fighting a guardian.

That was definitely one of the best moments of the game for me. First encounter I ended up sneaking around him after dying a bunch and watching him murder my Wolf. Coming back with better gear and a solid understanding of the combat mechanics made it a satisfying slaughter

lol, I bet he didn't see that one coming :)

It was a real measure of progress. I struggled so much with him the first time and no matter how hard I tried I just couldnt beat him. My weapons sucked, my armor and shields were weak and I just wasnt as experienced as a fighter. This time I was able to dodge and flurry like a boss and take him down without much effort.

Felt awesome.

It's pretty easy to avoid anything out of the ordinary. I went in for
the last memory
and once you're in, you see a map with the end goal clearly marked. Getting the thing you want is nowhere near that end goal. I didn't see any cutscenes or anything.

Oh thats good news then. I think I'll wrap up all the shrines and side quests, get the
shield
and then go memory and Lynel hunting before I start heading to the endgame.

I only had 2 beasts cleared when I finished the game so first I wanted to get the master sword and then the other 2 beasts. Now I want to get all 120 shirines.

Also I didnt really intend to beat the game so early. I was on the desert and wanted to hyrule field and then north, castle was nearby so I decided to sneak into there and then I happene to walk into the final boss room (there is no warning that the game ends there, the battle just starts).

Ah bummer, thats what I was afraid of and the reason I really stayed away from the area. Also because its crawling with Guardians and I kept getting destroyed.

kunonabi

I've beat the game, done all 120 shrines and am just wandering around looking for side quests and the Yiga clan is still attacking me. This is super annoying. So are the skeletons as well. Sometimes at the same time as the Yiga clan. While I'm fighting a guardian.

Farming stuff late in the game is a huge pain in the ass because of stuff like that.

Yiga clan attacking constantly
Stalfos popping up at night
swarms of keese

Combine that with having to constantly change gear for temp/lightning, the rain, and the glitchy dragons and it becomes a much bigger slog than it needs to be.

points of interest on the map count too. I was at 99.17% when I got the last korok. It turned out I missing a bunch of bridges and ruins.

dear god, they want you to cross every bridge?

I guess my problem is I don't use my horses as I should

I don't like the idea of them dying even though I know there is a fix for that I just keep them in stables

I should take road trip all over on my fastest horse that should help

maxcriden

If you pull up the map

36.88/100%
current world time
current area temperature

still at this 36%

Ohh sorry I thought you meant the literal topography itself that you get from the towers. Since we haven't beaten the game we don't have the percentage on our screen yet so the other poster who replied to you would be able to give you a better answer. Sorry about that.

Has anyone noticed any Pro Controller input lag? I dont know if its just me but camera pans, movement and actions feel slightly slower on the Pro Controller than when I'm using the Switch in handheld mode lately.

Ohh sorry I thought you meant the literal topography itself that you get from the towers. Since we haven't beaten the game we don't have the percentage on our screen yet so the other poster who replied to you would be able to give you a better answer. Sorry about that.

I did not know you had to beat the game to see that. I guess I never noticed it until a few days ago

Has anyone noticed any Pro Controller input lag? I dont know if its just me but camera pans, movement and actions feel slightly slower on the Pro Controller than when I'm using the Switch in handheld mode lately.

Try the Joy-Cons in docked mode. It could be your TV settings.

Anyone else got the Twilight Bow? I think I got it from my Zelda amiibo last night. I'm afraid to use it. It looks like it uses it's own special light arrows not found anywhere else in the game. I'm guessing this would be useful against Gannon bosses.

How many tries did it take you to get it? I've been trying for weeks to get it =/

aparisi2274

Completed the game tonight! Fantastic experience from beginning to end!

My final playtime was around 57hrs, and I only completed about 16% of the game... lol. Oh well, at least now I can just enjoy wandering around and looking for the rest of the shrines (I completed the game with 61 shrines done).

I also finished the game with
the hylian shield
and the "True" Ending, which was nice.
You get the true ending by finding all 12 memories and then speaking with Impa before you face ganon, and once you complete that memory quest, then go fight ganon.

I have to say that I thought the first form of Ganon was a bit tough, but not bad, but then he goes into his true form and once again, you get a weapon that pretty much makes him a pushover... either way, still a pretty cool fight.

My one major gripe with the game is the weapons breaking... I do not mind if they break, I just wish they lasted a bit longer...

Oh well, back to the shrine hunting.

sigh. this camel beast right now is the worst part of the game....... been holding off on main stuff, like 90 hours in, and figured I'd get this done, it suckkkkks

aparisi2274

For me the whole rito Divine beast is bad, but I like rito village the most

Really? I thought that beast was the easiest of them all...

seems like it, may just skip it, its just tedious. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, but not in the mood right now.

You should just try to solider through it. If you feel like giving up, just google the solution so u can at least get it out of the way, and get all 4 beasts back in your corner.

Lilo_D

You should just try to solider through it. If you feel like giving up, just google the solution so u can at least get it out of the way, and get all 4 beasts back in your corner.

it IS the easiest, that's why I hate it

Lilo_D

I feel short changed whenever I enter a shrine that gives me the spirit orb for free. The last several I've done were these type.

Consider the shrine quest or trial relate to those shrine as the real shrine content itself
That's the way Zelda team came up with to merge the shrine into the environment puzzle

I feel like I'm bad at combat in this game. I have trouble parrying and triggering evade+flurry blows.

And this is someone who could parry decently well in Demons Souls.

big_z

rito beast is definitely the easiest and the first I did. I actually got all the control points not knowing you could manipulate the beast on the map screen. only figured it out because the point in the wing tip is impossible to leave without doing so. thought my game bugged for a while.

Top Bottom