• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

I liked all the divine beasts just wish there was a bit more to them. The scope of the flying one was immense and just epic. I loved it.

Crayolan

sigh. this camel beast right now is the worst part of the game....... been holding off on main stuff, like 90 hours in, and figured I'd get this done, it suckkkkks

that was the worst divine beast in the game...

You guys suck. The camel beast is the most complex one in the game and actually made me think. Plus it has the best dungeon boss. All of the beasts should have been like the camel.

Gerudo beast is the best dungeon in the game. Its tough but genius.

Thank you.

The Hermit

I liked all the divine beasts just wish there was a bit more to them. The scope of the flying one was immense and just epic. I loved it.

he was the best one

I feel Nintendo had a lot of influence from Shadow of the Colossus... now you are imagining a game from Ueda + Myiamoto.

Kandinsky

Best of 4 main races/towns

-Beast: Zora
-Questline to Beast: Zora
-Best looking City: Gerudo
-Best NPCs: Gerudo
-Best Race: Goron
-Best Kids: Orni
-Best Music: Orni
-Best Ruler: Zora
-Best Champion: Gerudo
-Best Power: Orni
-Overall: Zora

Lol, I'm bored.

he was the best one

I feel Nintendo had a lot of influence from Shadow of the Colossus... now you are imagining a game from Ueda + Myiamoto.

I think so too. That and the Gerudo were great. I think the Death Mountain was my least favorite but still fantastic. Ruto was the first I did and loved that too, I was stumped for a while and probably would be on a replay too haha

Skeletos311

Is there a list of all the names of locations that show up on the map or a map with all the names on it? I need to discover a few locations, but I don't know where they are.

Speely

Banned
I feel like I'm bad at combat in this game. I have trouble parrying and triggering evade+flurry blows.

And this is someone who could parry decently well in Demons Souls.

A lot of it is learning the enemy + weapon type wind-ups/telegraphs. I took a lot of lumps learning how that worked.

For example, I couldn't hit flurry rushes for shit until I realized that horizontal slashes required a backflip, while vertical slashes and stabs required a side-step.

That was confounded by not knowing what weapons did what. I just took hits for a good minute.

What I learned: to watch the attack animations and dodge at the last second. One benefit of the fairly low amount of enemy types is that you eventually learn how they attack with all weapon types. Afaik, each enemy has three wind-ups for melee attacks, and once I faced enough of them, I developed a sense for the timing of their various attacks.

Using a shield helps, too. That way if you are late dodging, you can still block.

Parrying is another beast altogether, though I will say that matching up the defense animation with the attack animation almost always works for me.

Whales

Banned
Gerudo beast is the best dungeon in the game. Its tough but genius.

absolutely nothing tough about that dungeon at all..

I remember when everyone was telling me '' yeah vah ruta is bad but just wait until the gerudo one, its really good! Feels like a zelda dungeon'' I was hyped

then i came into the beast and... I finished it in like 25-30mins, just like every other beast. Extremely disappointing

I still maintain that if the next zelda was BotW 2 with improved dungeons ( and more of them) and nothing else it would probably be the GOAT game

Heck, Hyrule castle itself was a really nice ''dungeon''. Sure you can rush to ganon but otherwise there is soooo much to explore in there, hidden stuff, and exploring it all takes a while too. The divine beasts should've been something like that too.

balgajo

Puzzle wise none of the divine beast are special imo. But Rito one was the most memorable and with the best atmosphere. Seeing the world when you look outside the dungeon was really cool. Also dat music before you enter the beast...

Lilo_D

Puzzle wise none of the divine beast are special imo. But Rito one was the most memorable and with the best atmosphere. Seeing the world when you look outside the dungeon was really cool. Also dat music before you enter the beast...

all divine beast nail the atmosphere

I remember when everyone was telling me '' yeah vah ruta is bad but just wait until the gerudo one, its really good! Feels like a zelda dungeon'' I was hyped

then i came into the beast and... I finished it in like 25-30mins, just like every other beast. Extremely disappointing

I still maintain that if the next zelda was BotW 2 with improved dungeons ( and more of them) and nothing else it would probably be the GOAT game

Heck, Hyrule castle itself was a really nice ''dungeon''. Sure you can rush to ganon but otherwise there is soooo much to explore in there, hidden stuff, and exploring it all takes a while too. The divine beasts should've been something like that too.

I dunno man I was legit stumped for a good while. I found it complex and reaching each terminal felt rewarding. It also had the hardest boss in the game.

Whales

Banned
I dunno man I was legit stumped for a good while. I found it complex and reaching each terminal felt rewarding. It also had the hardest boss in the game.

well I will admit that I had no clue what to do in the first 5 mins, I just
rotated every part a bunch of times randomly and got lucky that they all ended up on the ''top'' which made me realize the gimmick

but after you discover that it's pretty much smooth sailing for the rest of it

Crayolan

I'm guessing you had Revali's, which totally breaks the dungeon. They should have turned off champion abilities in dungeons like in shrines.

Whales

Banned
I'm guessing you had Revali's, which totally breaks the dungeon. They should have turned off champion abilities in dungeons like in shrines.

Nope! I actually had Revali's power but I never used it, I actually never use it even in the overworld simply because I forget about it all the time ( using the pro hud)

actually it's pretty dumb a power like that isn't turned off by default in a dungeon lol... That's pretty dumb

Crayolan

I didn't use his ability and the dungeon was still piss easy.

Nope! I actually had Revali's power but I never used it, I actually never use it even in the overworld simply because I forget about it all the time ( using the pro hud)

actually it's pretty dumb a power like that isn't turned off by default in a dungeon lol... That's pretty dumb

Congratulations you guys are very smart. I'm not so I got stumped repeatedly and that dungeon ended up taking me pretty long.

Zips

Consider the shrine quest or trial relate to those shrine as the real shrine content itself
That's the way Zelda team came up with to merge the shrine into the environment puzzle

I found the no-puzzle shrines to be inconsistent. That was my main issue with them. They were also used more often than it felt they should have been, but that comes about because of how inconsistent they were.

Sometimes it seemed you would do very little to get into the shrine, and it would just give you an orb, and other times there was a lengthy bit of effort to get in, and then a puzzle inside the shrine as well.

Consider the shrine quest or trial relate to those shrine as the real shrine content itself
That's the way Zelda team came up with to merge the shrine into the environment puzzle
Problem is that there's several complicated shrine trials/quests that end with a full on shrine, so the easy shrine trials/quests that end with a blessing feeling kinda cheap, like the development team didnt have enough resources to fill those out into full on shrines so they just didnt put anything inside

Famassu

Finished the story with 76 shrines done (four orbs unused), all the divine beast dungeons done, Master Sword and 104 seeds found (60+ of them unused...). People weren't kidding when they said the ending was underwhelming. It's not that the final boss was all bad (especially the first phase) and even the final phase had some epicness going to it, as easy as it was but it was just so rushed & barebones as hell. Just felt very much "that's it?"

Have to take some time to ponder my final thoughts about it, but as of now my feelings are somewhat mixed. There's no doubt that this is a very high quality product in a lot of ways, most ways (story sucks, most everything else is mostly good), but I can't help but think that a lot of the design decisions hold it back from rising to the level of my favorite games in the franchise (ALTTP, OOT, LA, MM).

I think the premise of
waking up 100 years later was interesting (seeing all the ruins & marks of epic battles everywhere was cool)
but this barebones approach to building up the story & characters sucks ass, at least as done in BOTW. I don't like the weapon system at all. The rewards for a lot of the content you do are shit. As much as there is lots of great, unique stuff around the world, it does suffer from open world bloat, a few too many time-consuming fetch quests & lots of repetition as well, made to feel even worse by the mostly horrible rewards you get for doing them a majority of the time. 100+ shrines, few enemies recycled everywhere, 900 seeds, enemy camps etc. just start dragging after awhile and I could've done with less of them (but each one offering more unique, NON-BREAKABLE rewards). There are a lot of pretty fun shrines but also some sucky ones & some repetition.

At the moment I feel like the first 10-15 hours were the best. Everything is still fresh, the game feels challenging and even the most mundane enemies feel fun to fight against when you haven't confronted a 1000 of them yet. Past that between finding the coolest moments & content you have to go through quite a lot of repetition, some tedium, the annoyance of all the cool weapons you find breaking with the hint of enemies looming in the horizon and coming to the realization that most every reward except a select few are total shit that it takes some shine away from the experience.

kunonabi

I found the no-puzzle shrines to be inconsistent. That was my main issue with them. They were also used more often than it felt they should have been, but that comes about because of how inconsistent they were.

Sometimes it seemed you would do very little to get into the shrine, and it would just give you an orb, and other times there was a lengthy bit of effort to get in, and then a puzzle inside the shrine as well.

Yeah, I had the same issue with them. I think the shrines ended up being another victim of scrambling to get the game finished.

Wow 3 divine beast in and just got my first 4-star speed horse. Gonna be using him from now on. I thought
zelda's white horse
was the best :/

jariw

Problem is that there's several complicated shrine trials/quests that end with a full on shrine, so the easy shrine trials/quests that end with a blessing feeling kinda cheap, like the development team didnt have enough resources to fill those out into full on shrines so they just didnt put anything inside

Or they just wanted all players to get an easy set of orbs to distribute as hearts/stamina?

KingBroly

Banned
5 more Korok Seeds to go. What a pain.

I fully expect the DLC to have a Korok Seed finder of some kind and I'll be really sad.

aparisi2274

You guys suck. The camel beast is the most complex one in the game and actually made me think. Plus it has the best dungeon boss. All of the beasts should have been like the camel.

Thank you.

I thought the lead up to the camel beast was awesome, with the sand seal surfing and what not, but the actual design of the beast was one I just could not get behind... The boss was fun though

Ogodei

lol was just thinking this yesterday. Found the one where you climb the Goron Tower Ruppee mini game thing and was disappointed.

It's annoying as you approach the endgame because you have a higher concentration of Blessing shrines, although as Lilo_D said, you do have to go through hell to get to a lot of them, and some of the Quest Shrines still aren't Blessings.

I mean, i had to fight three Hinox to get into one shrine, in another a Guardian-infested labyrinth, in a third a paraglider gauntlet with at least four guardian-lasers training on me at all times. Some intense stuff in some cases.

The word that is constantly on my mind when I play this is "how"

How did they make this game so fucking fun? How did they make this so much better than every single open world competitor, despite the graphical difference? How did they make this game look so beautiful with limitied graphical capabilties?

Every single time I turn this game on I'm sucked in just like the first time I played. I'm 91 shrines deep and in the last ~8 hours of playtime, I've only found a single shrine. Yet somehow I can still just wander around in pure bliss. Finding Hinox's I hadn't discovered yet, climbing peaks and finding Korok seeds, fucking up some Lynels after a blood moon. It's just pure gaming bliss, plain and simple.

The Witcher 3 was by far my favorite open world game before this, and I haven't touched it since this game out. In Witcher 3, finding a new town and finding all the merchants to play in Gwent was my favorite part. Traveling was fun, side quests were better than Zelda, but...it just doesn't compare to how Zelda makes me feel. It's just absolutely phenomenal in every way, shape, and form.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
5 more Korok Seeds to go. What a pain.

I fully expect the DLC to have a Korok Seed finder of some kind and I'll be really sad.

I'm actually surprised you can't use the sensor+ to find them. Wait, has anyone even thought to give it a shot? Is it even something that's possible? Can you search for creatures using the sensor+?

The word that is constantly on my mind when I play this is "how"

How did they make this game so fucking fun? How did they make this so much better than every single open world competitor, despite the graphical difference? How did they make this game look so beautiful with limitied graphical capabilties?

Every single time I turn this game on I'm sucked in just like the first time I played. I'm 91 shrines deep and in the last ~8 hours of playtime, I've only found a single shrine. Yet somehow I can still just wander around in pure bliss. Finding Hinox's I hadn't discovered yet, climbing peaks and finding Korok seeds, fucking up some Lynels after a blood moon. It's just pure gaming bliss, plain and simple.

The Witcher 3 was by far my favorite open world game before this, and I haven't touched it since this game out. In Witcher 3, finding a new town and finding all the merchants to play in Gwent was my favorite part. Traveling was fun, side quests were better than Zelda, but...it just doesn't compare to how Zelda makes me feel. It's just absolutely phenomenal in every way, shape, and form.

For me personally, The Witcher 3 is a great experience, but Breath of the Wild is a great video game. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me, but while I found The Witcher 3 to be incredibly impressive, I didn't find it all that fun to actually play. For me, Zelda is just pure fun. Just climbing around and using the paraglider is more satisfying than the entirely of 95% of other games out there.

I'm actually surprised you can't use the sensor+ to find them. Wait, has anyone even thought to give it a shot? Is it even something that's possible? Can you search for creatures using the sensor+?

It would probably be suuuuuuuuuuuuper annoying, it would never NOT beep.

Red

FimTd5h.jpg

Around 60-65 hours. Missing three towers. Found a big island covered in fog that kicks me away with a laugh every time I approach. Can't glide down to it, can't climb into it. This diverted my journey to the next tower, so to avoid frustration I headed to the northern labyrinth. Found an edge of duality, and quit the game for the night.

Got a question about korok puzzles:
ive noticed a couple of areas where there is some unusual object (an odd shaped rock, a lone dead tree), which seem to mark a korok location. But instead of a korok puzzle, walking nearby triggers a circle of chus to charge toward Link. Is this a korok challenge? Am I meant to take all the chus out at once?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reposting if anyone can help:

Questions for gerudo town - there are two moments when it seems like you'd want to hand something over, but I don't seem to be able to. One is someone
lookimg for poultry. I have big and small, raw and cooked
, the other is someone needing
two heart shaped vegetables. I have hearty radishes which I guessed was right?

I tried holding them like you'd feed a horse an apple, tried dropping them on the floor, nothing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Questions for gerudo town - there are two moments when it seems like you'd want to hand something over, but I don't seem to be able to. One is someone

I tried holding them like you'd feed a horse an apple, tried dropping them on the floor, nothing.

Those aren't quests.

Crayolan

Not sure about the second one but I'm pretty sure the first is nothing.

I'm currently at the point of the game where I have to look for the areas depicted in the 12 photos or I have to look for the four titans.
Both are supposed to be side quests. Is there a certain main quest I can trigger?

Lilo_D

I'm currently at the point of the game where I have to look for the areas depicted in the 12 photos or I have to look for the four titans.
Both are supposed to be side quests. Is there a certain main quest I can trigger?

Those are main quests
You already had your main quest at the beginning defeat ganon

Wagram

The
blue flame
shine is probably the best i've done so far out of 98. Rather lengthy, took a tiny bit of thought.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The
blue flame
shine is probably the best i've done so far out of 98. Rather lengthy, took a tiny bit of thought.

There was one in gerudo that involved
electricity
and magnets that had me stumped for a little while. Some nice puzzling in that one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was one in gerudo that involved
electricity
and magnets that had me stumped for a little while. Some nice puzzling in that one.

The one on
Tingle Island
had me for a hot minute before I finally saw the
box on the ledge
and thought "would that even work?" Easy as shit puzzle, but they put the thing you need to solve it outside of your natural eye-line, so unless you go looking around you won't see it.

KingBroly

Banned
wow you're good
i'm at 130hrs and just beat the desert Divine Beast, not to mention only around 250 seeds and 90 shrines

I have very good positioning skills. I'm also extremely efficient. Once I do one thing in a line of objectives (Towers, Quests, etc.) I tend to do them all until I finish them. It helps me get back around the map quicker after a period of time. They sort of go hand-in-hand, I suppose.

Top Bottom