• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

darklin0

Banned
My biggest issue with the Divine Beast Dungeons were that all the shrines were mini tutorials for them, but it felt like they were too scared to make the puzzles more complex in fear for the player getting stuck. So the dungeons only changed the scale of the puzzles not the difficulty.

The last memory (with the trees) has me completely stumped. It's the most vague one from what I can interpret. Can someone give me a vague hint of where its at? Does the painter guy know where it is nearby?

Lilo_D

My biggest issue with the Divine Beast Dungeons were that all the shrines were mini tutorials for them, but it felt like they were to scared to make the puzzles too complex in fear for the player getting stuck. So the dungeons only changed the scale of the puzzles not the difficulty.

They do make it shorter on purpose

The_Lump

Banned
I have very good positioning skills. I'm also extremely efficient. Once I do one thing in a line of objectives (Towers, Quests, etc.) I tend to do them all until I finish them. It helps me get back around the map quicker after a period of time. They sort of go hand-in-hand, I suppose.

Sounds like a great dating profile.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest issue with the Divine Beast Dungeons were that all the shrines were mini tutorials for them, but it felt like they were too scared to make the puzzles more complex in fear for the player getting stuck. So the dungeons only changed the scale of the puzzles not the difficulty.

Also, I disliked how segmented they were. The best Zelda dungeons had one central puzzle which you continually found new ways of solving by approaching it from different angles - something like the central column of Lakebed Temple, the flipping floors of the GOAT Stone Temple, the timeshift stones of the Mining Facility. In BotW, dungeons are just... a collection of rooms. The puzzles aren't interwoven at all, they're just a few entirely separate (quite easy) puzzles that happen to be relatively near one another. Quite disappointing.

I do think there's a valid point that the typical 9 major dungeons of the series isn't as good a fit as it used to be. In design terms, that's an enormous amount of effort that would pull from the quality of the open world rather than just the shrines, and now that the re-realization of Zelda as fundamentally about exploration has been reached, that would be a shame. Additionally, I get the point that you don't want to break the flow of the world too much.

But I think the sweet spot on this had actually already been reached in a past Zelda title: Majora's Mask, which had the most challenging overworld in terms of traversal of any past 3D Zelda title and also had a strong focus on something not juts dungeon-y that the dungeons would break the flow of if overused. Majora's Mask has 3 outstanding dungeons, all contenders for the best in the series, that are moderately longer than the series norm and feature difficult, engaging, and interesting boses. It also has Woodfall Temple, which is still good for an introductory dungeon but obviously struggles given OoT had the Deku Tree - but this is an aside.

I'd like to see BotW go for that. They already realized 4 was probably the sweet spot in terms of the number of the Divine Beasts, but they didn't realize (or ran out of time) on the depth of design of the Divine Beasts. The best thing about Majora's Mask is that it actually has really complex dungeons - in terms of your ability, they're probably the most demanding in the 3D titles. Why? Because Majora's Mask tests all your skills in the overworld. You have to be reasonably good with the Goron Mask just to access Snowhead. That means Snowhead itself can just go all out. By contrast, the first 50% of all TP's dungeon content is a tutorial for the last 50%, which can be a bit grating.

Because BotW tests you extensively in the overworld, the Divine Beasts could really have gone all out, secure in the knowledge that you could handle them.

Oreoleo

Got a question about korok puzzles:
ive noticed a couple of areas where there is some unusual object (an odd shaped rock, a lone dead tree), which seem to mark a korok location. But instead of a korok puzzle, walking nearby triggers a circle of chus to charge toward Link. Is this a korok challenge? Am I meant to take all the chus out at once?

I noticed this the other day too and would love an answer to it. The island next to K
orok Forest
from a distance seems SO primed for a Korok Seed to be hidden away on it, but I glide there and it's just Chu's? What gives?

jariw

I noticed this the other day too and would love an answer to it. The island next to K
orok Forest
from a distance seems SO primed for a Korok Seed to be hidden away on it, but I glide there and it's just Chu's? What gives?

I don't think there's a Korok seed there, but it's a good place to farm upgrade materials. A bit challenging during nighttime, though.

I don't think there's a Korok seed there, but it's a good place to farm upgrade materials. A bit challenging during nighttime, though.
Not to mention the name is only one character off from my favorite character in Windwaker! And my favorite song as well.

Couldn't believe there was nothing but a shitload of Skeletons when I visited

Skeletos311

Around 60-65 hours. Missing three towers. Found a big island covered in fog that kicks me away with a laugh every time I approach. Can't glide down to it, can't climb into it. This diverted my journey to the next tower, so to avoid frustration I headed to the northern labyrinth. Found an edge of duality, and quit the game for the night.

Got a question about korok puzzles:
ive noticed a couple of areas where there is some unusual object (an odd shaped rock, a lone dead tree), which seem to mark a korok location. But instead of a korok puzzle, walking nearby triggers a circle of chus to charge toward Link. Is this a korok challenge? Am I meant to take all the chus out at once?

No, there's no Chu killing challenge. All Korok seeds come from environmental puzzles. No combat required. It's a lot of balloon shooting, put this rock in that hole, and use a rock to fill this pattern type of stuff.

Nbz

The last memory (with the trees) has me completely stumped. It's the most vague one from what I can interpret. Can someone give me a vague hint of where its at? Does the painter guy know where it is nearby?

Check the stable near Hyrule field. I didn't encounter the painter there, but it is nearby

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are Chus actually good for anything?

My son actually used them for a shrine solution which surprised me
they conduct electricity so can be used to complete circuits

Chinbo37

Just parried my 1st guardian. It was one of those stationary non fully functioning kind.

I'm 50 hours in so I figured it's now or never. Got it 1st try and it felt awesome.

Just parried my 1st guardian. It was one of those stationary non fully functioning kind.

I'm 50 hours in so I figured it's now or never. Got it 1st try and it felt awesome.
Pro tip: Every time you encounter multiple guardians, whether intentially or randomly, save your game. And then save after every guardian you kill to make sure. The timing is relatively simple, but if you fuck up you don't want to lose every shield in your inventory. You'll perfect the parry in no time

Guardians are easy as hell for me now, so I only save beforehand if I'm about to fight a fat mob of them.

watershed

Banned
Northeast on the Hebra mountain, there's an area where you can stand inside a huge rock. That's the first obvious QA thing aside from the framerate that I've encountered in this game.

Red

Northeast on the Hebra mountain, there's an area where you can stand inside a huge rock. That's the first obvious QA thing aside from the framerate that I've encountered in this game.
There are a couple of waterfalls where if you stand near the edge just right, Link falls under the surface and can walk along the ground as if there is no water at all (and there is not—it is a flat texture you can still see if you look up).

Zedark

Yeah, found that one as well. I few towards it to climb it, but few right through it instead lol

Beyond that, the game has hardly any errors, which is really impressive for such a big game. Could that be a consequence of the through physics system in play?

ASIS

114 hours. Completed everything except the Korok seeds.

It's funny, while I was playing I was swinging between "this is the best game ever!" and "this is not what I wanted". Now that I am done. I can say this is one of the best Zelda games ever. The ending was so good because it was a culmination of everything you did concentrated into one point. It was beautiful. The story was surprisingly good when all is said and done. Yeah there are things that I would have liked done differently. But i love what is there. It's brilliant.

Chinbo37

I really like the memories. Sure the voice acting isn't spectacular but I'm not one to expect a lot out of video game voice acting. I really like the back story it tells. (I don't have them all yet)

I really like the memories. Sure the voice acting isn't spectacular but I'm not one to expect a lot out of video game voice acting. I really like the back story it tells. (I don't have them all yet)

I like them a lot as well and they really feel like worth looking for. I've been looking for the last three of them forever and finally found one last night, the one in the forest so two more to go. I've played around 110h so far and completed all the dungeons, around 90 shrines and ~170 Korok seeds.

Does the painter ever reappear to the same stables after he first gave you the clue? I've feeling I've missed couple of his clues at some point in the game and I've hard time now finding the last two memories.

ASIS

The memories were cool but it would have been nice if some significant events happen in the present as well.
The game needs more Story period. But what's there is really beautiful.

This is really Zelda's story through and through. She is an awesome character.

KevinG

Almost 90 hours in and I've now got 4 Shrines left.

Those who've been in this boat, what was your strategy for finding these last few?

Majukun

Anything worthwhile to find in the
labyrinth
besides the shrine itself and a flamesword I found?
if it's the one on its own island there are several chests with good stuff around
we should have had a lot more memories in the game, both to give a reward for finding specific places other than just a Korok seed or two... but also to flesh out more the characters and old hyrule... it would add a lot more 'gravitas' to actually know what the Kingdom like before Ganon did his job.

jwillenn

The word that is constantly on my mind when I play this is "how"

How did they make this game so fucking fun? How did they make this so much better than every single open world competitor, despite the graphical difference? How did they make this game look so beautiful with limitied graphical capabilties?

Every single time I turn this game on I'm sucked in just like the first time I played. I'm 91 shrines deep and in the last ~8 hours of playtime, I've only found a single shrine. Yet somehow I can still just wander around in pure bliss. Finding Hinox's I hadn't discovered yet, climbing peaks and finding Korok seeds, fucking up some Lynels after a blood moon. It's just pure gaming bliss, plain and simple.

The Witcher 3 was by far my favorite open world game before this, and I haven't touched it since this game out. In Witcher 3, finding a new town and finding all the merchants to play in Gwent was my favorite part. Traveling was fun, side quests were better than Zelda, but...it just doesn't compare to how Zelda makes me feel. It's just absolutely phenomenal in every way, shape, and form.

I know the feeling. I've been playing since launch (still haven't finished it) and every session opens my mouth :O and has me saying out loud stuff like "this is incredible". I went from being fed up with 3D Zelda games and Skyward Sword making me feel like I should wait for impressions and watch portions of playthroughs before buying the next one, to this is the best Adventure I've had in all my time of gaming.

Anyone else keep silly stuff in their house instead of powerful weapons and whatnot? I have a mop, a soup ladle, and the first tree branch you get outside the resurrection chamber framed in my house.

Early on there's a bit of dread walking into a Lynel fight. These days it feels like I'm hunting them for sport and surprised if they can get a good hit in.

I tried to get the Lynel to fight me at the same time as the Hinox at the Lanayru East Gate (its possible). The Hinox died too quickly though lol.

Quoting myself from earlier as today I found a new Lynel in the Hebra region (not one of the two next to each other) that I approached with the same cockiness. Casually pulled one my many Lynel shields from one of his many fallen brethren and this Lynel smashed through three of them with no problem.

It was then that I knew I wanted that crusher he was wielding as it very obviously outmatched the one from his brother in the Eldin region. Dodge his ground smash multiple times and twice the shock wave broke my shields.

I have his crusher now and it is a goddamn beast.

jariw

(Spoilers if you don't have the complete story yet.)

After 130+ hours, I took the "intended" road to Hateno Village past Fort Hateno for the very first time. To travel this road "late" in the game had its own merits, since
I now knew that that was the very location where Link failed in the battle 100 years ago. I believe the horse training ground behind it also got a bit more meaning in that context

I had to look up at least one terminal on each dungeon, so either I'm a complete idiot or they're not as stupid-easy as people like to keep calling them. Maybe the people saying this adore puzzles. I think they get tedious very fast.

I am man enough to admit that 3D puzzles are a pain in my mind because they are hard to see the whole picture of when you are stuck inside them and have to manipulate a video game camera on a 2D TV set to look around. This is part of why I generally prefer 2D Zelda dungeons. Explaining where I was in the camel dungeon and how it all worked to my wife took like 20 minutes in and of itself.

Charamiwa

Banned
Just finished (Kass spoilers)
all the Kass quests and heard the final song. I had no idea the five little Rito were his daughters! I love how they sing the Rito theme, and once Kass arrives, the accordion is added.
Love these kind of details.

Kyuur

orok Forest

I think that island is meant as a callback to Wind Waker.
When you meet the Deku Tree in that game, he is covered in Chus and you have to kill them all.

Are Chus actually good for anything?

My son actually used them for a shrine solution which surprised me
they conduct electricity so can be used to complete circuits

Wow, never thought to try that! Can't believe I've put so many hours into the game and still learning stuff like that.

Forkball

I just found the horse archery and golf mini games. This is after beating the game with 120 shrines.

WHAT OTHER SECRETS DOES THIS GAME HIDE?

Top Bottom