• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Lol glitched world (spoilers for Hyrule castle boss and like everything)
https://youtu.be/Y0bdTezkeHc

newday.jpg

kunonabi

Northeast on the Hebra mountain, there's an area where you can stand inside a huge rock. That's the first obvious QA thing aside from the framerate that I've encountered in this game.

There are also the ghost dragons. Sometimes they appear but don't have proper textures, don't create updrafts or attacks, and arrows go right through them.

Red

Golf korok seeds are worst seeds.
They are easy. My brother was complaining about them yesterday, saying how the goal was too strict. I told him he could keep hitting the same boulder until he got it in and he looked at me like I had unlocked the mysteries of the universe.

duckroll

I conquered Eventide Island today. That was pretty good.

I finished all the Kass' quests today. That was even better! That ending...

Red

I think once I get the last tower, I'm going to beat Ganon, and then go on to play the game normally. I'm missing out on too much content by not following primary quest missions.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hard mode for this game could really be as simple as not pausing when you go in menus, and limiting you to one page of recipes instead of three. And maybe make raw meat inedible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I conquered Eventide Island today. That was pretty good.

I finished all the Kass' quests today. That was even better! That ending...

Any way to figure out where he appears or is it just a bit of luck? Found him on a tower yesterday which was unexpected - just started hearing his accordion music as I was climbing up.

I think I was probably about 50% of the way through the game (had Master Sword and done the four divine beasts) when I decided to head to Hyrule. The castle itself wasn't the most fun level but Ganon wasn't too difficult for me.

loved it, but I'm not a 100% completionist and needed to pull myself away from the game so I have time for other things on the weekends.

Hopefully the Switch gets a workout before Mario is released.

Red

Hard mode for this game could really be as simple as not pausing when you go in menus, and limiting you to one page of recipes instead of three. And maybe make raw meat inedible.
I am hoping for more challenging enemy distribution. Limit heart upgrades, limit healing factor from meals, cancel revival effect of fairies, and extend champion ability cooldowns. I hope enemies do not become more spongey.

KingBroly

Banned

Here's how I think Hard mode will be infinitely tougher:

No one's gonna know how hard it is until you play it. Nintendo will be tight-lipped about all of the changes they do to the game to make it harder.

Mr. Sam

I'm scratching my head over this: how on Earth do I light the
beacon... thing
outside the
tech lab
in Akkala? I've got the
blue fire
up there easily enough, I just can't figure out the rest.

Shahed

When you finish a dungeon and the Divine Beast moves into position straight after. Does anyone know the name of the song or which track plays as it relocates and fires the beam? Note not the one that plays
during the final fight against Ganon when all 4 attack
, just the one right after the dungeon

Arrrammis

I'm scratching my head over this: how on Earth do I light the
beacon... thing
outside the
tech lab
in Akkala? I've got the
blue fire
up there easily enough, I just can't figure out the rest.

You should just be able to light a torch with the blue fire and swing it at the furnace to light it.

I start "exploring" the world a few days ago, by explore I mean check the map then go to everywhere that looks interesting. This got me many seeds. Also makes me think: What if botw use Xenoblade's map system? Say, the regional map will start working like Xenoblade's map after you reach that region's tower. Full map unlocks after you find every landmarks in the region.

This will force players to explore more. And even make the game a bit harder, since I can't simply see all the things like maze and big statues on the map. On the other hand all the finding will be more rewarding, I'll wonder what's on the south east of the world then find Eventide Island. Sounds more pros than cons to me.

Mr. Sam

You should just be able to light a torch with the blue fire and swing it at the furnace to light it.

Thanks. It triggers the animation - the one where your crouch and stick out the torch out - but then... nothing. A light Google hasn't really helped matters.

Are Chus actually good for anything?

My son actually used them for a shrine solution which surprised me
they conduct electricity so can be used to complete circuits

They're upgrade materials but can also be used as weapons. Either collect or make elemental chu jelly and you have a supply of elemental bombs.

Steejee

So, decided to beat Ganon last night @ 2 DBs and about 64 shrines. Wanted the challenge/experience of him pre all 4 DBs and some challenge.

The two DBs I had were the Zora and Goron ones, so I had to fight the Rito and Gerudo ones. The windblight one was pretty awesome and I look forward to fighting it on the divine beast. I had prepped what I thought was more food than was needed, but I ended up being way off there. Lost a few shields and a fair bit of food on the two blight bosses, then got down below.

First phase went well, but then he switched to his 'gold' form - I was trying to deflect the shots from too far away so my timing was screwed. Lost *all* my shields, wife was suggesting all sorts of ways I might be able to break the gold plating, but nothing. Used up all my cooked food, burned through my entire stock of uncooked apples.

Eventually the Goron protection refreshed and I got a free deflection out of that which proved I needed to get a deflection to kill the shield. At that point, running around, I saw an item sparkle on the ground. It was for a spear, but that made it obvious there'd be more. Ran around, found a shield, and got close enough to get the timing right on the deflections. Finished of that phase, and on to the outdoor part. While epic (finally got the theme song!), beat it without taking any damage, which I guess is pretty similar to Twilight Princess final phase. I consider that sort of 'easy but epic final phase' thing almost like an interactive cutscene, and who can say no to a leap up into the air for a slow motion arrow kill?

I didn't have all the memories, so I presume the ending was a bit abbreviated. Still, very satisfied even then. Hyrule Castle itself is amazing and I love exploring it, sorta reminds me of Blackrock Depths in WoW. To get to the final fight I basically played 'dodge the beams' up the final stretches. Currently at 70 hours and have a loooot more I want to explore, including 3 or 4 map segments I haven't even revealed yet. I tend to 'waste' a lot of time just tooling about, but enjoy every moment of it.

Weirdly, this may be my favorite *game* ever (unsure right now, definitely top 5) but not my favorite *Zelda*. Contradictory, but Link to the Past has a lot of associations for me that aren't due to the game itself, so it gets unfair bonus points beyond the gameplay.

jariw

I start "exploring" the world a few days ago, by explore I mean check the map then go to everywhere that looks interesting. This got me many seeds. Also makes me think: What if botw use Xenoblade's map system? Say, the regional map will start working like Xenoblade's map after you reach that region's tower. Full map unlocks after you find every landmarks in the region.

This will force players to explore more. And even make the game a bit harder, since I can't simply see all the things like maze and big statues on the map. On the other hand all the finding will be more rewarding, I'll wonder what's on the south east of the world then find Eventide Island. Sounds more pros than cons to me.

The game design is about freedom to play as the user wants, not about forcing the player.

Muffdraul

My Wii U says I've played BotW for 137 hours. 14 shrines left to go. Sucks to be laid off, but living on 10 years' worth of severance and playing Zelda all day every day ain't so bad. I'm thinking of it as a "retirement preview."

SuperKing

Neo Member
Are there any kind of in-game hints for finding the Great Fairies? I don't want specific locations or anything, just curious if the game helps you out at all. I have 3 Divine Beasts and I'm still running around with weak-ass 1 star armor and I'd really like to change that.

Posted already?

GameXplain started a video series identifying the references in each of the place names. They posted two parts so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfHD5wiC9_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5RuRLRlUNk

Are there any kind of in-game hints for finding the Great Fairies? I don't want specific locations or anything, just curious if the game helps you out at all. I have 3 Divine Beasts and I'm still running around with weak-ass 1 star armor and I'd really like to change that.

I believe each one has an NPC somewhere that will hint at it. Though chances are you might find the fountain before you find the NPC, lol

Any way to figure out where he appears or is it just a bit of luck? Found him on a tower yesterday which was unexpected - just started hearing his accordion music as I was climbing up.
I'm having trouble
sneaking up to ride a deer in Rabia Plains

Even sneak elixirs don't help, plus then you gotta mash L, etc

Chinbo37

Have you explored all the map yet? I have 2 fairies and both were relatively out in the open. Maybe you just haven't been to some areas?

Talk to NPCs, they usually point you to the right direction.

Muffdraul

The game generally has ways of sort of herding you towards them. There was one where an NPC gave me money to hand over to the fairy once I found her, I think he gave me an idea of where to look. The others were all either near a tower, a shrine, or a subquest goal. I couldn't miss them as long as I kept my eyes open and wasn't sleepwalking my way through the game.

atr0cious

I think once I get the last tower, I'm going to beat Ganon, and then go on to play the game normally. I'm missing out on too much content by not following primary quest missions.
This is what I'm about to do. Over a hundred hours of just wandering the world and I'm really starting to itch for some more directly designed stuff. Even started Deus Ex: HR for the first time to get some variety. There's so much everywhere and I'm stuck between searching it all or saving some surprise for my full run. Just ran through Hyrule Field and I've started a linear attack on the castle so I don't spoil to much for treasure hunting. Been playing with only 3 hearts, so I'm just gonna fight Ganon till I die and then start over, seemed kind of fitting.

dgco86

Hyrule Castle diary spoilers:

I was able to find the King's diaries and 2 of Zelda's diaries. Are there any other diaries I should look out for the next time I go to the castle?

Megatron

I have the hardest damn time using an amiibo. Am I doing something wrong or have a defective Amiibo? I select the amiibo tune, then hold left bumper. Then I try holding the amiibo over the controller and nothing happens. Occasionally I get a noise but nothing happens. It's not a location where it's x'd out either. I was getting them to drop this way with great effort, but haven't managed to get a drop since Wednesday.

DrArchon

I have the hardest damn time using an amiibo. Am I doing something wrong or have a defective Amiibo? I select the amiibo tune, then hold left bumper. Then I try holding the amiibo over the controller and nothing happens. Occasionally I get a noise but nothing happens. It's not a location where it's x'd out either. I was getting them to drop this way with great effort, but haven't managed to get a drop since Wednesday.

Are you physically touching the amiibo to the controller? That's the only way I get mine to work.

Pineconn

Depends what controller you're using. The NFC reader is by the stick in the right Joycon and in the upper-center in the Pro Controller.

kris.

Banned
omfg, i just accidentally cooked one hearty radish and it turned into a meal that fully recovers and adds 3 temporary hearts. i've been making these insane complex creations and all i had to do was cook one at a time. DANG IT.

-shadow-

Well this completely and utterly breaks immersion...

img_20170408_1856340xs02.jpg

Don't understand why they didn't just make the mountain higher than the player could possibly climb 😐

DrArchon

Don't understand why they didn't just make the mountain higher than the player could possibly climb 😐

Thanks to stamina regen meals, you'd have to make a mountain that's unrealistically high.

Plus, you know people would try to climb it anyway. Even if they took three pages of full stamina restore + bonus stamina meals.

Steejee

Last night's random 'I love Beedle' moment - near a horse stable about to buy arrows from him, whistle for my horse who comes galloping over, and Beedle falls on his ass as the horse sprints right up to him. I love those little random moments of 'I can't believe they took the time to add that'

Top Bottom