• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

atr0cious

Well this completely and utterly breaks immersion...

img_20170408_1856340xs02.jpg

Don't understand why they didn't just make the mountain higher than the player could possibly climb 😐
It would become something people would think is hiding something. The fact that you can cook pages of extra wheels of stamina on top of 3 wheels and the climbing gear and speed buff elixirs, not only would the sight of something that large destroy the delicate horizon they've crafted, by necessity it would still necessitate that message when you reach the top of the skybox and it's still going.

Wood Man

So is everyone going in relatively the same order in taking on the Divine Beasts? I'm guessing you can do them in any order. I did Elephant, Lizard, Camel & Bird.

Just beat Midoh (Bird) which was actually the easiest dungeon and boss for me.

Probably because the Master Sword just destroys Gannon and I had upgraded armor and attack buff

Also how is everyone getting their play time? I'd like to know how many hours I've accumulated.

-shadow-

Thanks to stamina regen meals, you'd have to make a mountain that's unrealistically high.

Plus, you know people would try to climb it anyway. Even if they took three pages of full stamina restore + bonus stamina meals.

It would become something people would think is hiding something. The fact that you can cook pages of extra wheels of stamina on top of 3 wheels and the climbing gear and speed buff elixirs, not only would the sight of something that large destroy the delicate horizon they've crafted, by necessity it would still necessitate that message when you reach the top of the skybox and it's still going.
I completely forgot about the stamina potions. But honestly anything other than this message would've been better. Have Zelda tell Link that's beyond be the borders of the land or whatever. This truly pulled me straight out of the game entirely. This was a terrible solution.
Lasted me something like 80 plus hours to come across this, so it's not all bad! 😍

andymcc

Banned
Any way to figure out where he appears or is it just a bit of luck? Found him on a tower yesterday which was unexpected - just started hearing his accordion music as I was climbing up.

One of the Kass shrine areas has a journal where he describes the shrines that have Songs about them.

tauroxd

I completely forgot about the stamina potions. But honestly anything other than this message would've been better. Have Zelda tell Link that's beyond be the borders of the land or whatever. This truly pulled me straight out of the game entirely. This was a terrible solution.
Lasted me something like 80 plus hours to come across this, so it's not all bad! 😍

I think that is a better solution because it is still in "universe".

Pyrokai

Isn't this something that's a problem for all open world games? They have to have a border somewhere.

And as for Zelda, the setting is Hyrule. But is Hyrule the world? Is it just one country in a massively larger world? Why is Hyrule so much more important and chosen by the gods? If Ganon is a constant threat, why don't people just move away? How big is Hyrule? The size of Rhode Island? :p

These are things I think about that I shouldn't because I break the immersion for myself and I don't know how to stop it : (

Lasted me something like 80 plus hours to come across this, so it's not all bad! ��

I think that is a better solution because it is still in "universe".

The thing is, if that's the area I think it is, I read someones suggestion of that'll be where the DLC area starts, and I think I agree. It has to go on the edge of the map somewhere, of course, if they're going to have new land added on, and the rest of the world outside of there and the desert is surrounded by an impassible ravine/ocean.

Though presumably you get the same message if you sail out far enough.

Arrrammis

I can't help feeling like I cheesed
Fireblight Ganon. I had a 3x savage Lionel Bow and I kept critting him with triple bomb/ice arrows. it took like 10 arrows until he moved into his second form, then I threw a bomb into his shield, he came down, and I 1-cycled him with an attack 52 heavy weapon. He never even used his sword, does he do melee?
I still don't know.

Whoa just realised the value of keeping roasted meals. You can have many of them on a single slot in your inventory. I used to just get rid of them before

Red

This is what I'm about to do. Over a hundred hours of just wandering the world and I'm really starting to itch for some more directly designed stuff. Even started Deus Ex: HR for the first time to get some variety. There's so much everywhere and I'm stuck between searching it all or saving some surprise for my full run. Just ran through Hyrule Field and I've started a linear attack on the castle so I don't spoil to much for treasure hunting. Been playing with only 3 hearts, so I'm just gonna fight Ganon till I die and then start over, seemed kind of fitting.
It's not that I'm tired of wandering... there is still plenty of wandering left to do. I just want more quest access and the opportunity to get items and abilities that will allow me to more fully explore the world. I can't work on the compendium or farm
dragons
because I haven't triggered whatever switch needs to be flipped to access them. There are certain korok challenges I am pretty sure require specific items or rune abilities I just don't have yet. I am getting annoyed by the little walls I keep running into, and I would prefer to explore without compromise.

Whales

Banned

whats the difference between zelda telling link '' you cant go any further'' and the screen telling you ''you cant go any further''

it's the same thing :V

It's not that I'm tired of wandering... there is still plenty of wandering left to do. I just want more quest access and the opportunity to get items and abilities that will allow me to more fully explore the world. I can't work on the compendium or farm
dragons
because I haven't triggered whatever switch needs to be flipped to access them. There are certain korok challenges I am pretty sure require specific items or rune abilities I just don't have yet. I am getting annoyed by the little walls I keep running into, and I would prefer to explore without compromise.

You don't have the camera yet? In fairness to the game, this is one of the very first things you get while following the main quest line the game recommends you do.

Boss Man

So I got this for Wii U and started playing the other day. I'm not far in, honestly it feels like I am just starting to get a feel for the game.

But man, I am shocked by how good this seems so far. To put it vaguely, it's like Skyrim, Dark Souls(??), and a Nintendo game combined...somehow...and in the best possible way. Never expected this from them and certainly would not expect it to be this good just right out of the gate.

I am constantly being impressed by this game. Maybe it will wear off, but the current trajectory is that this may be the best game I have ever played.

It feels like they took three different types of games that I enjoy independently and combined them effortlessly. It's like if everyone had been eating cheese, meat, and bread separately and Nintendo made a cheeseburger before anyone else realized you could mix any of them.

NEO0MJ

The high level
Lynels
drop some nice stuff.

oCfCYAV.jpg

My problem with high level gear and equipment in this game is that eventually the only use they have is for killing more
Silver Lynels.
. Most other enemies and bosses can be taken care of with weaker weapons.

Skeletos311

My new Progress goal:
99.66% to 99.75% to 99.83%

Will it ever end?

What are you doing to find the last few locations? I was at 99.50 after killing every world boss, getting every Korok Seed, doing all shrines, quests, and dungeons. I got a .08 from going to some Moblin camp on the side of Death Mountain in Akkala. I'm at 99.58 now. I can't even tell how many I need, because they might be worth .08%.

This is the point where you stop playing for a while and pick up a new game. Then if you feel like going back someday you can, but there's no point in playing a game if you're not enjoying yourself. It doesn't mean you're broken, you probably just have different preferences for gameplay.

Not at all. If I'm being honest, the feeling of discovery and roleplaying surviving in the harsh wilderness faded quickly after the ~10 hour mark and was replaced with a much more standard open-world game, and I would attribute that largely to the fact that Nintendo remained pretty rigid in how it organized its content. It's certainly a way to keep the experience more or less uniform, but I feel they really could have done away with some of the rigidity.

Still, though, I do keep coming back but don't fault anyone who's bouncing off of it after the feeling of discovery of the game's mechanics is over and done with.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I'm going to take a break for the next few weeks and see how I feel returning to it.

Tried playing some DOOM (2016) just now and I lasted a total of 30 minutes before coming back to Zelda. This is what I was afraid of.

Steejee

70 hours in, and I just realized I could have a round and square bomb out at the same time, and they use different triggers. /facepalm

Thank you shrine for forcing me to realize that.

Jims

Haha, the Radiant Set of armor is so amusing. Link looks so out of place in the villages and stuff, like this weird glow-in-the-dark lucha figure approaching people to chat. And yet, no one bats an eye at the hero of Hyrule's odd fashion choices. Too bad there isn't a cowl so he can be straight-up Batman during the day.

Finally finished all 4 beasts. Will probably explore the last map region (north of Gerudo) and maybe sweep through Hebra again and do the memories, and then finish it.

atr0cious

dragons
If you got off the plateau, you have all the runes you need to complete the shrines, I think. I've done maybe 50 now and haven't been stopped yet. I'm not tired of wandering, but like you, I'm tired of intentionally dodging quests and denying myself access to places. And I want to see what all the fuss is about the beasts. I'm actually gonna go super hardcore exploring in my next run, and I'm gonna do the suggested route of the beasts(rito first) for maximum affect after I scour the southeast regions and get the camera.

LaNaranja

So I have one final memory and I can't seem to find it. I am not quite ready to just look up the answer but some hints would be great. This is the picture I am looking for.

Does the old painter have a hint for each of the pictures? (I am pretty sure I have found all the horse stables but if i may have missed one then I don't mind doing another lap around the map).
Is the picture in the town ruins directly in front of Hyrule Castle? (This was my best guess but I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

Just a yes or no is fine.

Majukun

I am currently at 117 shrines (well 116,but one I already know where it is)... still can't decide if I want to keep searching by myself or look at a guide.

The_Lump

Banned
OK if anyone found the
Yiga Clan's Mighty Banana stash
and didn't steal them all just cos, then we can't be friends.

Also,
Master Kogha
is definitely
Tingle
in disguise, right? Or is it just me...

This whole section was great.

LaNaranja

OK if anyone found the
Yiga Clan's Mighty Banana stash
and didn't steal them all just cos, then we can't be friends.

Also,
Master Kogha
is definitely
Tingle
in disguise, right? Or is it just me...

This whole section was great.

That is by far my favorite part of the game.

thefro

So I have one final memory and I can't seem to find it. I am not quite ready to just look up the answer but some hints would be great. This is the picture I am looking for.

Does the old painter have a hint for each of the pictures? (I am pretty sure I have found all the horse stables but if i may have missed one then I don't mind doing another lap around the map).
Is the picture in the town ruins directly in front of Hyrule Castle? (This was my best guess but I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

Yes to 1 (well, at least he gave me a hint for the memory you talk about).

No to 2.

Majukun

1) no idea
2) no it's not there

here's a hint

there are exactly 2 possible locations in the game that look remotely like that... probably the first thing that comes to your mind it's the right one, even if you think it's not possible.

Skeletos311

It's in the Hyrule Castle dungeon. As in the area where your map will change to Hyrule Castle.

TheJoRu

Been humming the
Tarrey Town theme basically all day. Everything about that place and that quest is beautiful. I'm not quite done with it yet, but I love the vibe and doing it bit by bit from time to time and returning to see the progress. The idea of a town and a community built from scratch by people of all the different races is so nice and heartwarming, a simple and understated message that hardly feels political (and was probably never intended to be), yet I think is needed in the times we live in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The hint for that one is in a village.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this something that's a problem for all open world games? They have to have a border somewhere.

And as for Zelda, the setting is Hyrule. But is Hyrule the world? Is it just one country in a massively larger world? Why is Hyrule so much more important and chosen by the gods? If Ganon is a constant threat, why don't people just move away? How big is Hyrule? The size of Rhode Island? :p

These are things I think about that I shouldn't because I break the immersion for myself and I don't know how to stop it : (

In Twilight Princess, Ordon Province is mentioned as not being part of Hyrule. In Ocarina of Time, the Gerudo have only very recently begun paying fealty to the King. I think Hyrule is not really defined geographically, it's just the territory ruled by those descended from Hylia. The parallel is probably the European medieval ages - 'France' wasn't really anything other than the territories owing fealty to the King of the Franks.

There are places beyond Hyrule - Labrynna and Holodrum, for example. The Golden Goddesses do go there as well - their oracles pop up in both Labrynna and Holodrum. Those regions just presumably have their own heroes. Hylia seems to be only a minor deity along the line of King Jabu Jabu or the Great Deku Tree. There's probably a fair few others. We just happen to follow one particular dynasty.

I am currently at 117 shrines (well 116,but one I already know where it is)... still can't decide if I want to keep searching by myself or look at a guide.

I'm having the same problem. I need 4 shrines which include 2 shrine quests and at the moment I have no idea where to find any of them. For now I'll keep looking because I still very much enjoy just exploring and finding more korok seeds, but I can see myself looking for a guide eventually simply because the world is so vast.

Wow u can ride a wild horse and have your tamed horse follow you. That's real cool. I'm doing this with the g
iant
h
orse
quest.

GoldStarz

Don't understand why they didn't just make the mountain higher than the player could possibly climb 😐

I honestly feel they should've put like fields of Malice or some kind of natural disaster on the borders of where you traverse so that there's an actual reason that you can't just walk/swim/sail/climb right out to a border and get that message.

Instro

Yeah I thought that message was really dumb/lazy as well. Why not just have Zelda tell him he must stay, or whatever.

GoldStarz

whats the difference between zelda telling link '' you cant go any further'' and the screen telling you ''you cant go any further''

it's the same thing :V
The Zelda one is an actually in-game reason for why your character shouldn't traverse beyond that point which allows you to stay immersed in your game.

The other is an immersion making note from the devs telling you that they didn't put anything beyond there so you can't cross this line even if you could totally walk past that point if the wall wasn't there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So you can't go west onto Mount Agaat? That seems dumb. I get having an 'edge' to the world, but then why give an out of bounds area a name? It just makes you want to explore it.

Sh0k

Just finished the game after 210 hours, only 41.85% done. Amazing game!

114 Shrines
222 Korok seeds

I still have some side quests and shrine quests to do.

Under the Shrine quests menu it says that I have 38/42, these are the Shrines that are triggered by an NPC or event?

Red

You don't have the camera yet? In fairness to the game, this is one of the very first things you get while following the main quest line the game recommends you do.

If you got off the plateau, you have all the runes you need to complete the shrines, I think. I've done maybe 50 now and haven't been stopped yet. I'm not tired of wandering, but like you, I'm tired of intentionally dodging quests and denying myself access to places. And I want to see what all the fuss is about the beasts. I'm actually gonna go super hardcore exploring in my next run, and I'm gonna do the suggested route of the beasts(rito first) for maximum affect after I scour the southeast regions and get the camera.
I don't have the camera or amiibo runes. I haven't been to any villages yet (to avoid story triggers), and have only talked to NPCs in stables or passers by in the overworld. I haven't been to a shrine I couldn't solve, but I've run into at least one korok puzzle I know for sure I am not currently able to complete
(I need the ability to swim up waterfalls)

atr0cious

I don't have the camera or amiibo runes. I haven't been to any villages yet (to avoid story triggers), and have only talked to NPCs in stables or passers by in the overworld. I haven't been to a shrine I couldn't solve, but I've run into at least one korok puzzle I know for sure I am not currently able to complete
(I need the ability to swim up waterfalls)
Ah yes, I accidently got that ability when I stumbled onto the area. Amiibos rune is just an option you switch on in the start screen.

Red

Ah yes, I accidently got that ability when I stumbled onto the area. Amiibos rune is just an option you switch on in the start screen.
I cant. I am given a message that says I must make story progress before I can enable it.

I am also not able to complete a shrine quest that requires
a scale from Farosh, who will not spawn.

My amiibo ability does work now. No idea why it didn't work before. I haven't checked the options for dozens of hours. Last time I tried was soon after leaving the Great Plateau.

Top Bottom