• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

balgajo

I completed all shrines yesterday and got
the tunic of the wild which is ugly as fuck. At least I a got the cap, painted in green with hylian torso, put hylian pants and now Link looks cool as fuck again.

atr0cious

it took only one minute to get to the Ganon fight from the castle entrance.... it's not much of a dungeon.
This is hilarious to me. I literally just spent the last hour entering the castle for the first time, and i was blown away just by the
3d
map. My gf was giving me shit cause I spent a minute just saying "holy shit" while looking at the map. I'm currently cryonising up some waterfalls while having a shootout with a guardian. What game are you playing?

LordofPwn

Also, regarding a certain Shrine Quest in the Northern area...
anyone struggling with the Korok stealth trial as much as I am? I'm wearing all my stealth gear and drinking stealth potions and that little fucker still manages to spot me. Had to restart twice, and have yet to complete it. Really frustrating.
first time I did it I got to the shrine but the mission didn't complete because I didn't talk to the lil guy. So I did the whole stealth challenge again a second time. Also no issues. I stayed far back and crouched, using magnesis or some other ability may make it easier to spot him. I also did this without stealth gear or potions.

Oidisco

I love the game but I do agree that I rarely felt like I got a substantial reward out of the sidequests and shrines, outside of some of the clothes.

They should have put the Rune upgrades inside some of the more difficult Shrines. Maybe inside the
Maze Shrine Quests

Wensih

This is hilarious to me. I literally just spent the last hour entering the castle for the first time, and i was blown away just by the
3d
map. My gf was giving me shit cause I spent a minute just saying "holy shit" while looking at the map. I'm currently cryonising up some waterfalls while having a shootout with a guardian. What game are you playing?

The one that gives you the power to swim up waterfalls?

Just beat the game. I stormed Hyrule Castle wearing
The Tunic of the Wild,
Ganon must have been upset seeing that little green bastard run up once again.
I went in with no hat, Hylian trousers, and the Champion's tunic. The "canonical" and a deliberate "remember me, bitch?" lol

atr0cious

The one that gives you the power to swim up waterfalls?
Not swim, using ice blocks. I tried using the
zora armor
but the current is too strong and it's too far to the next perch so I've got to climb. But across the way, there is a broken guardian on a ledge, so I'm putting up ice blocks and crouching behind it, taking shots, but after enough it'll just start throwing beams my way. And I keep bomb arrowing myself on the clipping edge of an outcropping I'm hiding behind.

I love this game so much, been wondering for 100+hours plus and every time I turn the game on, I'm wowed by something else, either something in the world or just where the mechanics come together to create a perfect little moment/memory. Like fighting lynel, literally fought them for dozens of hours, but every fight has a moment where they surprise me with a new wrinkle, or I surprise myself with how I adapt to them.

hint: I bet you are missing
a castle and a town
I got the shrine inside
Hyrule Castle. Is there a shrine quest you get from there as well? I think I've explored about 30% of the castle so I guess it's possible. Also, I completed Tarry Town (if that's the town you mean) but I don't remember getting a shrine quest from there unless I'm misremembering.

Wensih

Not swim, using ice blocks. I tried using the
zora armor
but the current is too strong and it's too far to the next perch so I've got to climb. But across the way, there is a broken guardian on a ledge, so I'm putting up ice blocks and crouching behind it, taking shots, but after enough it'll just start throwing beams my way. And I keep bomb arrowing myself on the clipping edge of an outcropping I'm hiding behind.

I love this game so much, been wondering for 100+hours plus and every time I turn the game on, I'm wowed by something else, either something in the world or just where the mechanics come together to create a perfect little moment/memory. Like fighting lynel, literally fought them for dozens of hours, but every fight has a moment where they surprise me with a new wrinkle, or I surprise myself with how I adapt to them.

No, the game I was playing was the one in which I swam up waterfalls straight to the throne room.

watershed

Banned
Question about the shrine being discussed.
I swear I found the shrine inside Hyrule Castle but I don't think I saw it on my map earlier. Does it show on the map or only when you are inside Hyrule Castle? I could be way wrong. I don't have my Switch with me right now to check.

I really miss the pointer controls for the bow and arrow. Using the joystick to aim sucks balls. The waggle is a bit better but the pointer was more precise.

AaronMT86

How many horse saddles/bridle's are out there? I got
Royal Zelda(?) (white horse quest), Monster Hut set, Default of course
any others?

I feel like I'm in crazy pills here. This game is continuously rewarding, I keep getting new gear that is making me take down enemies that were terrifying a few hours earlier in the game. Who cares that they break down? I keep getting new ones in the shrines, or I can buy or repare them.

duckroll

Sneaked into Hyrule Castle for a look yesterday out of curiosity. Goddamn it feels like a whole other game hahahahaha.

That memory is a bastard to find without some sort of direction given.

Damn this doesn't make me feel any better! Is there no clue for this one from the painter guy who gives hints about all the others? I haven't found one yet.... :/

psychotron

So I'm playing this game in the craziest most random way. I've only defeated one divine beast. Spent the rest of the time unlocking towers and doing shrines. Now I'm recovering Links memories and it led me near
Gerudo Town
. How the hell do I get in? Is this a
FFVII cross dressing
type thing? If so where do I get the gear?

I've never understood people that bitch about things they don't have to do. If it's too easy to swim up waterfalls, then don't swim up the waterfalls. I did that too and felt a tinge of disappointment when I beat Ganon. But the game didn't turn into a pumpkin. I wanted to explore the castle more, so I went back and did it. And it was a very cool experience.

Just because you can eat a filet in three bites doesn't mean you should. Take smaller bites, chew slowly, and enjoy the experience.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I probably could have gotten more korok seeds, but I found them irrelevant and more of a hassle to grab than they were worth. I got tired of stopping at every hill while trying to glide to do a redundant puzzle or lift a rock and pick up a seed.

Which came to be my problem with the game and the reason why I ended up finishing it tonight. I could only wander aimlessly for so long before becoming bored, and after shrines became sparse I was not accomplishing anything during my sessions (I also found shrine challenges to be menial tasks, outside of the environmental shrines, so I only found joy in unlocking the shrine as a warppoint).

So I unlocked all parts of the map, found all memories, did all the dungeons, and got 75% of the shrines in 48 hours. I think I had explored quite a bit and felt exhausted by the end (I almost didn't even bother to finish as the prior dungeons weren't very engaging).

It was a wonderful collect-a-thon game, but I wish it had some guidance and tell the player how much more there was to collect in specific regions.

Ugh.

You found exploring boring but want clear markings about what to collect and where? How would that make it less boring and not more menial?

The AC style check box gameplay is exactly what this game tried to move away from.

Unlike you, wandering aimlessly and discovering random places and things is where the game shone brightest to me.

Takat

So I'm like 99% certain that the last memory photo is
In the Hyrule Castle woods area in the north west area of the castle region. But I'm wandering around and can't get a match.
Am I wrong?

No,
it's from a place the last battle was fought
(east of the twin peaks stable)

ciD_Vain

Sneaked into Hyrule Castle for a look yesterday out of curiosity. Goddamn it feels like a whole other game hahahahaha.

Damn this doesn't make me feel any better! Is there no clue for this one from the painter guy who gives hints about all the others? I haven't found one yet.... :/
If you're talking about the final memory:
Pretty sure Impa says something like it should take half a day to get to the spot from Kakariko, which means it's not too far from there. Also, there are a lot of rusted Guardians in the pic so that could only be a few locations in the game.

Wensih

Ugh.

You found exploring boring but want clear markings about what to collect and where? How would that make it less boring and not more menial?

The AC style check box gameplay is exactly what this game tried to move away from.

Unlike you, wandering aimlessly and discovering random places and things is where the game shone brightest to me.

No, I do not want clear markings about where to collect items, but I think a general idea of how many items are in a specific region (as the regions are so sprawling) would be helpful instead of wandering aimlessly in a region for hours thinking there is more to find when there isn't.

I think there is a balance to be had between Assassin's Creed's mark every objective on the map once climbing the tower, and Zelda's not going to show you anything until after you find it. As I said the first 30 hours or so was magical, but I came to a certain point in the game where shrines were sparse and I would travel for hours (warping around and just on horse back/gliding) trying different locations that looked like they could be points of interest without my radar dinging.

It's a good collect-a-thon game but I think if there was added direction or interesting scenarios the game could have carried itself further, but instead I found tedium in 35-40 hours for myself.

Really? I knew where it was immediately. It's one of the first areas you pass through in the game.

Only if you head to Impa right after the Great Plateau. I didn't see that part of the game until around 15 hours in. And I didn't have to search for that specific location until over 100 hours later. So, it can be easy to forget about that area.

Impa's clue is all you really need. I thought this one as easier to find then some of the other memories, specifically the forest one. I gave up and ask here for the answer for that one

Anteo

I saw that painting and I thought 'i swear ive seen those mountains before.

Wensih

Only if you head to Impa right after the Great Plateau. I didn't see that part of the game until around 15 hours in. And I didn't have to search for that specific location until over 100 hours later. So, it can be easy to forget about that area.

Sorry I should say it's one of the first areas in the main quest. I didn't go to see Impa until 8 hours or so into the game, but the landmark was so unique that it had stuck out to me 40 hours later. The only memory I had a problem finding was the forest photo because there were no discernible land marks in the photo other than trees.

Stopdoor

I actually missed this area because I looped to Hateno from the back, but at some point during the game an NPC
told me about how the hero (Link) died at Fort Hateno, so when Impa showed that picture as the last memory I knew exactly what it meant and in what general area it was. Some nice world-building.

Anteo

Sorry I should say it's one of the first areas in the main quest. I didn't go to see Impa until 8 hours or so into the game, but the landmark was so unique that it had stuck out to me 40 hours later. The only memory I had a problem finding was the forest photo because there were no discernible land marks in the photo other than trees.

I went from kakariko to z
oras domain
and then from there to hateno, so I completly missed that whole area until I had to find the memory.

Edit: In fact Im over 100 hours and just this week I explored and got shirines and seeds on the path to hateno.

I actually missed this area because I looped to Hateno from the back, but at some point during the game an NPC
told me about how the hero (Link) died at Fort Hateno, so when Impa showed that picture as the last memory I knew exactly what it meant and in what general area it was. Some nice world-building.

I went from kakariko to z
oras domain
and then from there to hateno, so I completly missed that whole area until I had to find the memory.

Interesting. I love how open / non-linear this game is, even during main quests.

duckroll

Impa's clue is all you really need. I thought this one as easier to find then some of the other memories, specifically the forest one. I gave up and ask here for the answer for that one

I saw that painting and I thought 'i swear ive seen those mountains before.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same memory lol! I'm talking about the last one in the camera which is just trees and an apple tree! I'm afraid to read spoilers!

The painting you're talking about is a shrine I think, not a memory? I already did that one, it was easy.

Red

I'm not a huge fan of the Hebra region. I don't like how hazy the snowy regions are. The game is too pretty to cover up this way.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same memory lol! I'm talking about the last one in the camera which is just trees and an apple tree! I'm afraid to read spoilers!

The painting you're talking about is a shrine I think, not a memory? I already did that one, it was easy.

Oh gosh, how do I say this without spoiling anything.

Just...ignore the advice you've been given so far and look for the painter guy in towns and/or stables. He's the only reason I was able to find that memory. I'm sure other posters can help beyond that if you need it.

Anteo

Oh yeah. Question. You thought that one was north west of hyrule castle. Why was that?

Never mind, I'm talking about another memory.

The one your looking for I can give you the area if you want. Or what tower revealed the map portion where the memory is located

Ogodei

Did the Kakariko Shrine quest, i have no idea how you were supposed to figure that out without a guide (not the quest itself, which would take a bit of thinking through but is attainable, but how to trigger it). They basically just expect you to comb Kakariko and do as many sidequests as you can?

duckroll

I think there is a balance to be had between Assassin's Creed's mark every objective on the map once climbing the tower, and Zelda's not going to show you anything until after you find it. As I said the first 30 hours or so was magical, but I came to a certain point in the game where shrines were sparse and I would travel for hours (warping around and just on horse back/gliding) trying different locations that looked like they could be points of interest without my radar dinging.

I disagree with the position here that Zelda doesn't show you anything at all until you find this. This is absolutely not true. I think Zelda does find a balance, but it's a balance that will work for some people and not for others. I think the problem is that there's no way to predict how every single person will play an open ended game, and it is impossible to cater to every taste.

The problem will each region having a counter for collectibles is that it makes the game feel much more artificial. Yes, it would help people who are obsessed with collecting every last thing because they can sweep a region, look at a number, and then move on. But I don't think that's the intent of the designers here. They want people to explore the world if it is fun for them, rather than chasing numbers.

I've played the game for like 80 hours now, and I'm at almost 90 shrines, and less then 80 seeds. I have almost all the memories. Beaten all 4 Divine Beasts. Got the Master Sword. Cleared a bunch of optional areas. I still feel there's so much to find in the game. I don't go looking for shrines when exploring, I go looking for adventure. And I'm not knocking on people who want to specifically find shrines, I'm just suggesting a different mentality because I think that's what the game is designed for.

The game doesn't expect you to wander randomly to chance upon shrines. Sometimes that can happen and it's cool, but the game is designed to lead players towards shrines on the call of adventure. Which is to say, you want to seek out settlements, talk to people, hear rumors and stories to get quests, go check those quest objectives out, and in doing so you'll run into more shrines both related to the quest and randomly placed on the way.

Instead of just randomly going in a direction and just expecting to detect shrines with the radar, I pick locations based on what looks interesting on the map either from the topography, or from observing landscapes from a high vantage point. I look for places where something could be "happening" so to speak, and head towards it. 9 out of 10 times I end up in a place which is either and enemy hideout, a village, a stable, a town, or just some location of interest which ends up leading me to somewhere else of interest. I have never run into this dead end where I had nothing to do and was just aimlessly looking for something. Sometimes trying to solve a shrine quest takes longer than expected, and I get a bit lost for an hour or so. In that hour though, I'm always exploring a new region and filling up more named locations on my map and finding a couple of seeds here and there.

So yeah, I think Zelda does have that balance, but it requires the right mentality to be "perfect".

Oh gosh, how do I say this without spoiling anything.

Just...ignore the advice you've been given so far and look for the painter guy in towns and/or stables. He's the only reason I was able to find that memory. I'm sure other posters can help beyond that if you need it.

Thanks, as long as there's a clue somewhere in the world, I'll just keep looking!

Oh yeah. Question. You thought that one was north west of hyrule castle. Why was that?

Because I was thinking that the memories were somewhat sequential, and there's one that's in Hyrule castle itself. The forest looked like it was somewhat peaceful so might be near the castle if I haven't run into it before, and there's a small foerst near Hyrule Castle itself in the north west area! I even found a shrine there. But no memory!

MarkusRJR

So after getting distracted with university I'm finally back to this game (one 10 hours in).

Got involved in the first Divine Beast quest and I have to beat a Lynel? It literally one shots me basically (leaves me with a quarter heart). Tried doing flurry rushes to kill it but the timing is really hard.

Is it supposed to be this difficult or should I try a different Divine Beast?

Pinky

Banned
Found the
Akkala Ancient Tech Lab
a few hours ago. Finally got my hands on the
Ancient Curiass and some Ancient Arrows
. Holy shit at these arrows!!!! All I'll say is that Guardians don't scare me anymore. Not one bit!

CrazyHorse

Also, regarding a certain Shrine Quest in the Northern area...
anyone struggling with the Korok stealth trial as much as I am? I'm wearing all my stealth gear and drinking stealth potions and that little fucker still manages to spot me. Had to restart twice, and have yet to complete it. Really frustrating.

I put the magnesis on throughout. The red colour makes him stand out and I kept a distance. That was my way of doing it.

The Argus

So after getting distracted with university I'm finally back to this game (one 10 hours in).

Got involved in the first Divine Beast quest and I have to beat a Lynel? It literally one shots me basically (leaves me with a quarter heart). Tried doing flurry rushes to kill it but the timing is really hard.

Is it supposed to be this difficult or should I try a different Divine Beast?

Just sneak past it and grab the arrows.

It's actually harder than
all the divine beast boss battles

Top Bottom