• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

boiled goose

good with gravy
No, I do not want clear markings about where to collect items, but I think a general idea of how many items are in a specific region (as the regions are so sprawling) would be helpful instead of wandering aimlessly in a region for hours thinking there is more to find when there isn't.

I think there is a balance to be had between Assassin's Creed's mark every objective on the map once climbing the tower, and Zelda's not going to show you anything until after you find it. As I said the first 30 hours or so was magical, but I came to a certain point in the game where shrines were sparse and I would travel for hours (warping around and just on horse back/gliding) trying different locations that looked like they could be points of interest without my radar dinging.

It's a good collect-a-thon game but I think if there was added direction or interesting scenarios the game could have carried itself further, but instead I found tedium in 35-40 hours for myself.

It's like you're focused on destinations when the game is all about the journey.

You're trying to play it as a collectathon when the game is actively trying to dissuade you from playing that way.

Lilo_D

So after getting distracted with university I'm finally back to this game (one 10 hours in).

Got involved in the first Divine Beast quest and I have to beat a Lynel? It literally one shots me basically (leaves me with a quarter heart). Tried doing flurry rushes to kill it but the timing is really hard.

Is it supposed to be this difficult or should I try a different Divine Beast?

if it's the Zora one the cutscene there actually suggest you to stealth the way
If you don't pull out of weapon and stay far the lynel will not attack you

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did the Kakariko Shrine quest, i have no idea how you were supposed to figure that out without a guide (not the quest itself, which would take a bit of thinking through but is attainable, but how to trigger it). They basically just expect you to comb Kakariko and do as many sidequests as you can?
Like everything else in the game, we figured it out by reading in-game books. Talk to everyone, read everything.

Thanks, as long as there's a clue somewhere in the world, I'll just keep looking!

Because I was thinking that the memories were somewhat sequential, and there's one that's in Hyrule castle itself. The forest looked like it was somewhat peaceful so might be near the castle if I haven't run into it before, and there's a small foerst near Hyrule Castle itself in the north west area! I even found a shrine there. But no memory!
The memories are absolutely sequential, and this is how you use clever thinking to find the last memory. It does help to think about which direction they would have headed after the previous memory. And look for the painter nearby.

Anteo

Because I was thinking that the memories were somewhat sequential, and there's one that's in Hyrule castle itself. The forest looked like it was somewhat peaceful so might be near the castle if I haven't run into it before, and there's a small foerst near Hyrule Castle itself in the north west area! I even found a shrine there. But no memory!

I see, I had a similar idea.

Wensih

I disagree with the position here that Zelda doesn't show you anything at all until you find this. This is absolutely not true. I think Zelda does find a balance, but it's a balance that will work for some people and not for others. I think the problem is that there's no way to predict how every single person will play an open ended game, and it is impossible to cater to every taste.

The problem will each region having a counter for collectibles is that it makes the game feel much more artificial. Yes, it would help people who are obsessed with collecting every last thing because they can sweep a region, look at a number, and then move on. But I don't think that's the intent of the designers here. They want people to explore the world if it is fun for them, rather than chasing numbers.

I've played the game for like 80 hours now, and I'm at almost 90 shrines, and less then 80 seeds. I have almost all the memories. Beaten all 4 Divine Beasts. Got the Master Sword. Cleared a bunch of optional areas. I still feel there's so much to find in the game. I don't go looking for shrines when exploring, I go looking for adventure. And I'm not knocking on people who want to specifically find shrines, I'm just suggesting a different mentality because I think that's what the game is designed for.

The game doesn't expect you to wander randomly to chance upon shrines. Sometimes that can happen and it's cool, but the game is designed to lead players towards shrines on the call of adventure. Which is to say, you want to seek out settlements, talk to people, hear rumors and stories to get quests, go check those quest objectives out, and in doing so you'll run into more shrines both related to the quest and randomly placed on the way.

Instead of just randomly going in a direction and just expecting to detect shrines with the radar, I pick locations based on what looks interesting on the map either from the topography, or from observing landscapes from a high vantage point. I look for places where something could be "happening" so to speak, and head towards it. 9 out of 10 times I end up in a place which is either and enemy hideout, a village, a stable, a town, or just some location of interest which ends up leading me to somewhere else of interest. I have never run into this dead end where I had nothing to do and was just aimlessly looking for something. Sometimes trying to solve a shrine quest takes longer than expected, and I get a bit lost for an hour or so. In that hour though, I'm always exploring a new region and filling up more named locations on my map and finding a couple of seeds here and there.

So yeah, I think Zelda does have that balance, but it requires the right mentality to be "perfect".

I can agree with your argument. The game's geography was designed to inspire exploration of the world and so if a tally is implemented it would be a disincentive to ever going back to that region, but mainly because aside from taking in beautiful scenery the only real push for me was the collect-a-thon nature of the game, collecting shrines and collecting korok seeds. And it's probably because of this disillusionment that my journey has ended much shorter than others although in almost half the time as you I collected 90 shrines, 80 seeds, all the memories, and towers, and did the dungeons, so it's not that I didn't explore or reach nooks and cranies of the map. It's just that I was in a goal oriented mindset that I suppose doesn't suit the views of how others take to open world games.

However, when shrines became scarce for me (a little over 50% of shrines found) I wasn't exploring the map in a brownian motion. It wasn't directionless. I would go to areas that seemed to me points of interesting topology where no shrine marker was near using the map as a guide, and still had trouble finding new shrines. And I think this is why it's frustrating because I was moving with purpose and found nothing.

I think part of my issue though is that I was never interested in engaging in the combat either, so I never found myself attempting to take an enemy hideout unless it was part of a side quest, and so while you have said you have always found a point of interest wandering I did not consider enemy hideouts points of interest.

psychotron

Any ideas?

So I'm playing this game in the craziest most random way. I've only defeated one divine beast. Spent the rest of the time unlocking towers and doing shrines. Now I'm recovering Links memories and it led me near
Gerudo Town
. How the hell do I get in? Is this a
FFVII cross dressing
type thing? If so where do I get the gear?

O M G .
So I warped to the nearest Horse Stall. Picked out my ride , saved the game and said "let's go kill Ganon"

Lost my horse the moment I entered the walls of Hyrule, went on foot and entered through
the prison

Wow for anyone who went cheap straight to the boss, I would recommend doing it the long way. It was like the most epic adventure like movie experience.

Well I fell into a
lynel
trap and damn did he use up all my good weapons and I still died. Never made it to Ganon :(

Wensih

It's like you're focused on destinations when the game is all about the journey.

You're trying to play it as a collectathon when the game is actively trying to dissuade you from playing that way.

I don't think it dissuades from playing that way at all. There is high incentive to focus on collecting shrines orbs and korok seeds because both are used for highly needed upgrades via stamina to be able to explore comfortably, and health and weapon slots to have a comfortable time with the combat.

Pinky

Banned
Any ideas?

Your mind is on the right track.
Talk to the guy standing next to the shrine right outside Gerudo Town. He'll talk about a male merchant who manages to make his way into town to do business and sell his wares. This merchant travels back and forth between Gerudo Town and Kara Kara Bazaar. If you have trouble finding him, look around Kara Kara Bazaar at night time.

jepense

Did the Kakariko Shrine quest, i have no idea how you were supposed to figure that out without a guide (not the quest itself, which would take a bit of thinking through but is attainable, but how to trigger it). They basically just expect you to comb Kakariko and do as many sidequests as you can?
A book in the village points you to the required quests.

olimpia84

"Finally" beat the game.
100 hours
88 shrines
108 Korok seeds
All memories except the last one

In short, this game is a masterpiece and worthy of all those perfect scores; this is the type of game that will be remembered for a very long time. Definitely ranks high on my list of favorite games of all time.

I need to go back and get the last memory and then get all the shrines, not sure if I'm up for going for every single Korok seed but we shall see.

Wensih

The one that involves
bananas?
*. It was annoying but I powered through it just now. Hope there's no more of it.

*That's a meta spoiler, for a spoiler.

I thought that was a really fun change up in scenarios,
but I also didn't think it was that hard and was too short as you could fly up into the rafters and just sneak around dropping bananas to get through doorways.

Drewfonse

So after getting distracted with university I'm finally back to this game (one 10 hours in).

Got involved in the first Divine Beast quest and I have to beat a Lynel? It literally one shots me basically (leaves me with a quarter heart). Tried doing flurry rushes to kill it but the timing is really hard.

Just played this sequence and repeatedly died. Then I realized I could crouch around and just snag the arrows. Revelation.

random25

Nobody said you need to kill it. :p

jrDev

So I'm playing the game, I was on one of the towers and noticed a light shining up from an area. So I traveled there by quick traveling and normal hiking then saved my game. I got to the area full of light and noticed some rabbits running around and then the lights disappeared. Having no idea what happened, I reloaded my save but I didn't see the light anymore. Does anyone know wtf my save doesn't reload properly? It took me half an hour to travel there for nothing???

gagecube

Banned
This game is too good. I spent 45 minutes on a shrine that was obvious and I just missed one little thing.

Also just walking around doing random stuff I think I've found the start to my first dungeon

jepense

I don't think it dissuades from playing that way at all. There is high incentive to focus on collecting shrines orbs and korok seeds because both are used for highly needed upgrades via stamina to be able to explore comfortably, and health and weapon slots to have a comfortable time with the combat.
Yes, but the supply for both is way higher than what you actually need. You will find an ample amount of seeds and shrines even without specifically looking for them. You can hunt for them if you like, and some of them are well hidden to challenge these kinds of players, but the game never requires that you do it.

jepense

So I'm playing the game, I was on one of the towers and noticed a light shining up from an area. So I traveled there by quick traveling and normal hiking then saved my game. I got to the area full of light and noticed some rabbits running around and then the lights disappeared. Having no idea what happened, I reloaded my save but I didn't see the light anymore. Does anyone know wtf my save doesn't reload properly? It took me half an hour to travel there for nothing???

It's a timed event that happens every now and then. It's just something cool to see.

random25

It's kind of random I believe. Try camping until you see it again.

It'll happen again. Just keep an eye on the area.

As for the save, that also happens with other stuff, like the
dragons
. I'm guessing it's to prevent players from abusing it in some way (or at least that's my best guess.)

boiled goose

good with gravy

There's so many of both that you gather plenty. The fact that you finished main quest with 80 seeds is amazingly low to me. I had 450.

Most shrines can be seen from a distance and marked on map. With the sensor,running into them while exploring is trivial.

I can see how wandering and collecting everything could get a bit boring after s while. After 200 hours and 600 seeds and being op, it's getting there for me. After 40 hours and completing main quest? It seems to me like see the game as a checklist to complete. It's fine. Your personal gaming style can be different. It just baffles me.

Man, I just got played by a non-existant Korok puzzle.
Just to the Southwest of Piper Ridge, around where the Great Fairy's Fountain is, there's this set of high columns that have some small temple ruins on it. On the nearby, slightly lower column there's a lone rock just sitting there. I spent about 25 minutes trying to get it onto the higher column that has the ruins and a line of rocks using Octo balloons, and then trying to fit it into the line somehow, as I could have sworn it looked like a "missing rock" puzzle. Finally I just looked at the guide map and itsfuckingnothing.gif.

I swear, Nintendo put lone rocks into suspicious places just to troll you sometimes.

kris.

Banned
Hahaha, I love some of these shrines. I was working my way through the Shora Hah shrine.
Jumped on a button assuming it moved me up to the end. Instead, it dropped down a ramp with a massive spiked boulder rolling straight for me. I had an actual Indiana Jones moment where I was like OH FUCK and ran as fast as I could to avoid it.

I've played the game for like 80 hours now, and I'm at almost 90 shrines, and less then 80 seeds. I have almost all the memories. Beaten all 4 Divine Beasts. Got the Master Sword. Cleared a bunch of optional areas. I still feel there's so much to find in the game. I don't go looking for shrines when exploring, I go looking for adventure. And I'm not knocking on people who want to specifically find shrines, I'm just suggesting a different mentality because I think that's what the game is designed for.

The game doesn't expect you to wander randomly to chance upon shrines. Sometimes that can happen and it's cool, but the game is designed to lead players towards shrines on the call of adventure. Which is to say, you want to seek out settlements, talk to people, hear rumors and stories to get quests, go check those quest objectives out, and in doing so you'll run into more shrines both related to the quest and randomly placed on the way.

Instead of just randomly going in a direction and just expecting to detect shrines with the radar, I pick locations based on what looks interesting on the map either from the topography, or from observing landscapes from a high vantage point. I look for places where something could be "happening" so to speak, and head towards it. 9 out of 10 times I end up in a place which is either and enemy hideout, a village, a stable, a town, or just some location of interest which ends up leading me to somewhere else of interest. I have never run into this dead end where I had nothing to do and was just aimlessly looking for something. Sometimes trying to solve a shrine quest takes longer than expected, and I get a bit lost for an hour or so. In that hour though, I'm always exploring a new region and filling up more named locations on my map and finding a couple of seeds here and there.

So yeah, I think Zelda does have that balance, but it requires the right mentality to be "perfect".

I agree this is a fine mentality to have, and it was a blast getting to 115 or so shrines this way... but now I'm at the point where I feel I've done everything that I've been 'guided' towards, and I still have 2 shrines missing. It'd be nice if there was something to hint at where the last few might be, because there's just sooooo much ground to cover.

Yes, I realize there's that map floating around the internet giving the numbers of shrines in each region, but I've come this far without it...

EDIT: I'm missing *one* shrine quest. Really wondering what that is... and if I've inadvertently done it already lol.

Wensih

Yes, but the supply for both is way higher than what you actually need. You will find an ample amount of seeds and shrines even without specifically looking for them. You can hunt for them if you like, and some of them are well hidden to challenge these kinds of players, but the game never requires that you do it.

But what else is there to do outside of this and wandering? Because I never saw anything compelling that didn't lead to a shrine or seed.

gagecube

Banned
Without spoiling too much can someone help me out with this thing I found above Kakariko Village?
i was looking for the fairy shrine for that one main quest (the painter) and I went right of the path and found what looked like a shrine platform but in the middle was a dip that looked like it would house one of those orange lined spheres. There isn't a sphere around the area that I could see and the only one that comes to mind is the one in Impas house in kakariko village, but I'm not allowed to take it.
any ideas?

Nia

Hml99GS.jpg

I talked to her while she was sleeping, then this happened. I am disturbed.

Wensih

There's so many of both that you gather plenty. The fact that you finished main quest with 80 seeds is amazingly low to me. I had 450.

Most shrines can be seen from a distance and marked on map. With the sensor,running into them while exploring is trivial.

I can see how wandering and collecting everything could get a bit boring after s while. After 200 hours and 600 seeds and being op, it's getting there for me. After 40 hours and completing main quest? It seems to me like see the game as a checklist to complete. It's fine. Your personal gaming style can be different. It just baffles me.

I just didn't find anything really worthwhile outside of exploring the landscape for shrines. As for the korok seeds I already explained that for me 80 was enough. I began passing them up because I didn't feel they were worth stopping what I was doing to collect them by doing a redundant puzzle.

A lot of shrines that I've found in the last 10 hours have been hidden and could not be seen from a vantage point.

Whales

Banned
I just didn't find anything really worthwhile outside of exploring the landscape for shrines. As for the korok seeds I already explained that for me 80 was enough. I began passing them up because I didn't feel they were worth stopping what I was doing to collect them by doing a redundant puzzle.

A lot of shrines that I've found in the last 10 hours have been hidden and could not be seen from a vantage point.

You and me both dude

At around 50h I just got bored and did all the 3 divine beasts I had left and rushed to hyrule castle. Finished the game with 60h on the clock

I think I had like only 45 shrines done too. I was getting tired of shrines tbh, their aesthetics suck and most of them are just boring

I was also skipping korok seeds like you near the end lol

watershed

Banned
Getting into the shrine quests takes this game to another level. I'm discovering so much stuff I never discovered on my intial playthrough. I beat Ganon after 75 hours or so and have now put in around 50 post-Ganon hours and there's still more to do. I know I haven't found all the named locations yet for sure. This game keeps on giving.

Wensih

You and me both dude

At around 50h I just got bored and did all the 3 divine beasts I had left and rushed to hyrule castle. Finished the game with 60h on the clock

I think I had like only 45 shrines done too. I was getting tired of shrines tbh, their aesthetics suck and most of them are just boring

I was also skipping korok seeds like you near the end lol

I agree, towards the end my thrill was in finding the shrines, not entering them for what is usually a menial task. I think the best shrines are the ones that have an environmental puzzle outside to unlock it and then just give you an orb.

Mohasus

I agree with everything here, except that sometimes I found some cool bosses while exploring.

Top Bottom