• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Whales

Banned
I agree, towards the end my thrill was in finding the shrines, not entering them for what is usually a menial task. I think the best shrines are the ones that have an environmental puzzle outside to unlock it and then just give you an orb.
Yeah, I also agree there.

Near the end I was also enjoying just going around and fighting lynels, then waiting for blood moons to redo it again. Theyre the most fun enemies to fight IMO.

I also needed a little zelda break, once I have more free time im ptobably going to reboot the game and try to get all 120 shrines
(never in hell will I try getting the bazillions korok seeds tho)

Haunted

So 70 hrs in and I just discover a new town.
100 shrines in and there was a new spin on a gameplay mechanic to solve the shrine.

200 hours in and we discovered two completely new types of creatures.

250 Koroks in and we found a new type of Korok location.

The game is incredibly varied and just keeps surprising us.

jepense

But what else is there to do outside of this and wandering? Because I never saw anything compelling that didn't lead to a shrine or seed.
Wandering is pretty much the game, in a sense. The game only hints at what you should do, but it doesn't tell you what to do. You are supposed to do whatever you want. That's why you get the final quest pretty much at the start. That's the developers telling you that you can play around as long as you want, and if you get bored, you can go beat the game. That's also why the game does not tell you how much of everything there is for you to find, because that would imply you are expected to find everything. It's fine to prefer a more linear experience, but this structure is one of the main things people like about the game.

Haunted

Without spoiling too much can someone help me out with this thing I found above Kakariko Village?
i was looking for the fairy shrine for that one main quest (the painter) and I went right of the path and found what looked like a shrine platform but in the middle was a dip that looked like it would house one of those orange lined spheres. There isn't a sphere around the area that I could see and the only one that comes to mind is the one in Impas house in kakariko village, but I'm not allowed to take it.
any ideas?
You're on the right track.

Hint:
Read the book in Impa's room and talk to certain villagers mentioned in there, this should get you started.

Found the
Akkala Ancient Tech Lab
a few hours ago. Finally got my hands on the
Ancient Curiass and some Ancient Arrows
. Holy shit at these arrows!!!! All I'll say is that Guardians don't scare me anymore. Not one bit!
All you really need to take them on is a
guardian shield.

Without spoiling too much can someone help me out with this thing I found above Kakariko Village?
i was looking for the fairy shrine for that one main quest (the painter) and I went right of the path and found what looked like a shrine platform but in the middle was a dip that looked like it would house one of those orange lined spheres. There isn't a sphere around the area that I could see and the only one that comes to mind is the one in Impas house in kakariko village, but I'm not allowed to take it.
any ideas?

I've not found it myself yet either, but I've read that it's part of a quest that
only appears in the village at night.

Wensih

Wandering is pretty much the game, in a sense. The game only hints at what you should do, but it doesn't tell you what to do. You are supposed to do whatever you want. That's why you get the final quest pretty much at the start. That's the developers telling you that you can play around as long as you want, and if you get bored, you can go beat the game. That's also why the game does not tell you how much of everything there is for you to find, because that would imply you are expected to find everything. It's fine to prefer a more linear experience, but this structure is one of the main things people like about the game.

Yes, so my question wasn't what am I suppose to do but what is there to do? Because I didn't find much that wasn't a pretty vista, shrine, seed, or collect X for side quest.

Edit: This isn't to say that the shrines, especially the shrine quest shrines weren't inventive and awesome (I wish there were more), but ultimately it's a shrine. And again the shrines were the only thing that I wanted to seek out, so what else was there that I missed?

In a sense, nothing. The feeling of discovering the world and learning about the history of it and being in a post apocalyptic-esque Hyrule. For many, that's enough. Especially with the fantastic execution of all the mechanics and how well the world is designed.

Lilo_D

Yes, so my question wasn't what am I suppose to do but what is there to do? Because I didn't find much that wasn't a pretty vista, shrine, seed, or collect X for side quest.

Edit: This isn't to say that the shrines, especially the shrine quest shrines weren't inventive and awesome (I wish there were more), but ultimately it's a shrine. And again the shrines were the only thing that I wanted to seek out, so what else was there that I missed?

I just feel like it not a game for you
If you struggle to find something you're looking for
Cause I don't even know how to tell you when I'm 70 hours in I just finished one divine beast and unlock like 4 towers

I never understand why people say there is no content or no reward or no interest or anything i can't connect my experience with you which makes me sad :/

But all after all when you feel bored just beat the game and I can make sure the Hyrule castle is freaking awesome and then find something else to play (Persona 5 is the right answer :p)

Red

Made it into the forest of Hyrule. I like this place. Just before getting here I did some pitch-black forest. That was neat, too. Both of these experiences have been totally unique in the game so far. I spent nearly two hours in the dark place scavenging and lighting torches. It does not seem like lighting every torch causes anything special to happen, but I found a lot of mushrooms and luminous stones along the way. I also
fought the Hinox twice—as soon as I had beaten him, a blood moon rose.
That's double the spoils. Did a couple of
korok trials
, and now I think it's time to call it a night.

I'm getting a bit bored and I'm only 30 hours in. Ehhh. Might put it down for a while, play some other games, and come back when I'm feeling it.

Wensih

In a sense, nothing. The feeling of discovering the world and learning about the history of it and being in a post apocalyptic-esque Hyrule. For many, that's enough. Especially with the fantastic execution of all the mechanics and how well the world is designed.

Sure and I spent close to 50 hours doing that; however, after the 40 hour mark it was hard not to grow tired of the redundancy especially when I had seem to exhaust the discovery aspect of the game.

I just want to emphasize that shrines are a large part of that discovery aspect. Everything of note (towns, fairy fountains, stables, mini-bosses, or special events) is close to a shrine or is a shrine. Once you've found the majority of shrines there doesn't appear to be much left.

Try beat the game directly
It's a very unique experience and fucking rewarding

Yeah, maybe that's a good idea. I've been taking it pretty slow and just wandering wherever I wanted to this point, but I feel like directing myself a bit more now. I pretty much always run into this problem with open world games!

Actually thinking about it, I've never actually finished a single open world game (unless STALKER counts)

Lilo_D

Yeah, maybe that's a good idea. I've been taking it pretty slow and just wandering wherever I wanted to this point, but I feel like directing myself a bit more now. I pretty much always run into this problem with open world games!

Actually thinking about it, I've never actually finished a single open world game (unless STALKER counts)

I guarantee you it will be a very very good experience especially you are on low health and stamina
Prepare yourself before you go into the castle
Would love to hear your story after you beat it

TheWraith

Made it into the forest of Hyrule. I like this place. Just before getting here I did some pitch-black forest. That was neat, too. Both of these experiences have been totally unique in the game so far. I spent nearly two hours in the dark place scavenging and lighting torches. It does not seem like lighting every torch causes anything special to happen, but I found a lot of mushrooms and luminous stones along the way. I also
fought the Hinox twice—as soon as I had beaten him, a blood moon rose.
That's double the spoils. Did a couple of
korok trials
, and now I think it's time to call it a night.

You do know there's more then the Koroks and Hinox there I hope ?
I mean the shrine, by using the ball on the Hinox's neck.

Wensih

I just feel like it not a game for you
If you struggle to find something you're looking for
Cause I don't even know how to tell you when I'm 70 hours in I just finished one divine beast and unlock like 4 towers

I never understand why people say there is no content or no reward or no interest or anything i can't connect my experience with you which makes me sad :/

But all after all when you feel bored just beat the game and I can make sure the Hyrule castle is freaking awesome and then find something else to play (Persona 5 is the right answer :p)

I think there is plenty of interesting things to do in the game. They just all happened to be shrine quests which is why I think it's weird that people were saying I was playing it wrong because I didn't put in 100+ hours and was focused mainly on finding shrines, not redundant korok seed puzzles. My question wasn't saying there wasn't much to do, but asking what else is there to do other than shrines and seeds? Apparently, in a sense, nothing.

I played the game for close to 50 hours, explored every region, and found 75% of the shrines, stopping because it became a chore to find shrines, the interesting thing. I don't know what more I can tell you.

Herbshire

I got my switch last week and am around 10h into Zelda... The landmass is so massive I am a little shocked, at times I'm not really sure what to do but I end up exploring the land and stumble on all kinds of weird and wonderful things. Feels like an insane amount of work went into this game.

Last night I headed back up to the plateau and as I was about to dive off I saw a
snake like creature flying over a bridge and into a lake. I guess it was a dragon but the thing that amazed me was that it flew into the sky and some kind of portal or something opened up with clouds swirling around and it flew into it and dissipated.

Is that apart of Zelda lore? This is my first Zelda game.

Lilo_D

I think there is plenty of interesting things to do in the game. They just all happened to be shrine quests which is why I think it's weird that people were saying I was playing it wrong because I didn't put in 100+ hours and was focused mainly on finding shrines, not redundant korok seed puzzles. My question wasn't saying there wasn't much to do, but asking what else is there to do other than shrines and seeds? Apparently, in a sense, nothing.

I played the game for close to 50 hours, explored every region, and found 75% of the shrines, stopping because it became a chore to find shrines, the interesting thing. I don't know what more I can tell you.

nothing i can tell you but go finish the game now ; )

Malcolm9

I played the game for close to 50 hours, explored every region, and found 75% of the shrines. I don't know what else more I can tell you.

I agree with you, I feel exactly the same way.

I never really found compelling reasons to explore after finding the same things all the time, and it just took the enjoyment out of looking to be honest.

I loved all the previous Zelda's, and having enjoyed all the best open world games that have been released I felt the world Nintendo created has far too much repetition overall.

I got my switch last week and am around 10h into Zelda... The landmass is so massive I am a little shocked, at times I'm not really sure what to do but I end up exploring the land and stumble on all kinds of weird and wonderful things. Feels like an insane amount of work went into this game.

Last night I headed back up to the plateau and as I was about to dive off I saw a
snake like creature flying over a bridge and into a lake. I guess it was a dragon but the thing that amazed me was that it flew into the sky and some kind of portal or something opened up with clouds swirling around and it flew into it and dissipated.

Is that apart of Zelda lore? This is my first Zelda game.

That creature represents one of the series deities.

Wensih

Lol great
play something else then I highly recommend persona 5
I'm close to finish Zelda too in about 150hrs and I will go p5 next

I'll probably take a break from longer games for awhile. I'm having a lot of fun with Device 6 currently. I was thinking about popping in TMS at some point. I don't have a desire for Persona 5 at the moment mainly because I have P3, P4, TMS, and some other long form RPGs in my backlog to dissuade myself from purchasing P5.

Kyzer

Banned

Different kinds of bosses and other cool enemies, weapons/shields/bows/armor, other treasure, enemy camps that have chests that unlock once youve beaten everyone, upgrade your gear, cool horses, memories, interesting NPCs, world puzzles to unlock shrines/korok seeds, mini games

Theres like way too much to do in this game maybe you only remember the shrines and focused on them

I'm trying to rewatch BCS before the new season starts tomorrow, and I just can't help but unlock my Switch and the play the minigames on the side lol. I'm gonna end up adding a gazillion more hours to my playtime long after I've beaten the game.

T.A.L

I don't know how many hours in I am. I started four days ago but I did two of the beasts so far and that was by stumbling into them. I turned the hud off and I just pick a point on the map and go there. When do you start getting higher damage weapons? I got one blade that was a 50 from a shrine. Nothing like that since.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the durability like on
ancient
weapons? If it's the same as regular then they seem like very bad value for money

jepense

Ah, sorry, I guess I missed or misread some of your posts. I thought you said the game was a collect-a-thon. Yeah, I think yours is a perfectly valid way to play the game. The feel of the game changes a lot as you play. In the beginning, you are weak and the world is intimidating and unknown. In 40 hours you will likely be strong or very strong and you will have a good idea of what kinds of challenges the world contains. The way you approach the game should change as you progress, and if at that point you feel you are ready to finish, you definitely should. This is absolutely what the game is about - the freedom to make that call without having to wade through tasks you don't like.

random25

What's the durability like on
ancient
weapons? If it's the same as regular then they seem like very bad value for money

If you refer to the ones you can purchase at Akkala lab, they are far more durable than Guardian weapons, based from my experience. Also, they have 50% damage bonus when used against guardians, so that kind of increases the durability as you can kill guardians on lesser hits.

Wensih

Ah, sorry, I guess I missed or misread some of your posts. I thought you said the game was a collect-a-thon. Yeah, I think yours is a perfectly valid way to play the game. The feel of the game changes a lot as you play. In the beginning, you are weak and the world is intimidating and unknown. In 40 hours you will likely be strong or very strong and you will have a good idea of what kinds of challenges the world contains. The way you approach the game should change as you progress, and if at that point you feel you are ready to finish, you definitely should. This is absolutely what the game is about - the freedom to make that call without having to wade through tasks you don't like.

I mean I do think the game is a collect-a-thon, but a lot of modern games could be described as collect-a-thons. Just like every game now has RPG elements. Zelda doesn't gate your progress based on how many items you've collected but the two big objectives that everyone gravitates towards is collecting seeds and collecting shrine orbs.

Tripon

Beat the game on Friday, finally got all 120 shrines tonight. And I'm still only at 41% in this game. I need to look at what exactly ups the completion percentage. But I think I'm finally done with the game outside of when I feel the urge to murder stuff.

duckroll

I think that it's certainly easy to see the game as "everything leads to a shrine, the entire game is about shrines", but at the same time, I don't think that really matters. Shrines in the game are a means to an end. They don't have to be a goal in themselves, but rather they are the method the game delivers rewards at the end of a quest to players, when there is no quest giver in sight to do so. It's interesting to look at the psychology of it. Every shrine is a spirit orb. That can be seen as exp in the game. There is also at least one chest in every shrine. That's an item reward - either money or an actual material, equipment, or weapon. The blessing shrines operate simply as a means to deliver that. So those are not really about "finding" the shrine, so much as the shrine being the method the game uses to reward the player for partaking in a quest.

There are also quests that don't really involve shrines as the termination point. I'll discuss those and other unique shrine quests in spoiler tags.
I feel that when you explore the world and run into things like the Labyrinths, Molduga, Eventide, etc, there shouldn't be a feeling of "I'm doing this for a shrine" but rather "wow, this is cool". The shrine at the end of these are a means of delivering a reward and serving as a end point "flag" of sorts to acknowledge your success. On the other hand, there are things like the White Horse, the Kass storyline, and the Dragon Bones. Those don't reward a shrine at the very end, although a number of the Kass locations do have shrines. Two of the Dragon Bones locations have shrines, one does not. But the termination point of the actual quests are character acknowledgements and a change in the player's understanding of the world and the people who inhabit it. There's really cool world building there, and that's the reward for exploring these quests. Another example is the 8th Heroine quest, where the rewards are actual items given by a NPC, and the actual quests are about discovering cool sights in the environment hidden away rather than finding a shrine.

I don't disagree that the shrine counter is a big motivator throughout the game for people looking for a metric of how well they're doing in exploring. But I feel just stepping away from that and seeing what the game offers shows that the metric itself isn't as important as it seems.

LordofPwn

It would be nice to have a few more map options even if they're only available after you beat the game. With 900 Kurok seeds to find and no sensor to find them it can be very difficult to find them all. I would just like a pop up next to the tower locations that outlines the region and says I've found X/Y seeds and one for shrines and locations now that I've beat the game. It would be more helpful than an overall percentage. I'm glad you have to discover everything for yourself though

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
All my shields are gone after an intense battle through 10'ish Guardians.

I was trying to reach the
shrine in the canyon temple

I ran out of Shields by the second half and just evasively flew using the windcurrents. Tons of of close calls but I made it to the
shrine
*0*

No more shields now though

Random but I think a Nightwing game from Batman TAS would be really fun with this game's physic and parasailing moveset.

Also, regarding heart container and stamina upgrades, has anyone tried
getting the master sword with thirteen hearts and then moving all those heart containers to stamina vessels? I'm thinking of trying a 3 heart w/ Master Sword run in the summer.

jepense

I mean I do think the game is a collect-a-thon, but a lot of modern games could be described as collect-a-thons. Just like every game now has RPG elements. Zelda doesn't gate your progress based on how many items you've collected but the two big objectives that everyone gravitates towards is collecting seeds and collecting shrine orbs.
In a sense, yes. The game only gives you one big goal, and everything you collect makes you stronger so that you can beat that challenge. But I think it's very well designed in that regard, since you get progressively stronger as you play without having to watch exp-meters go up and the game is not being padded by forcing you to collect meaningless stuff just so that you can progress. You can collect however much you feel like and move on. Shrines are obviously the game's main way of telling you did well on a task that was deliberately placed there for you. It's not really much different to finding a treasure or having an NPC give you stuff as a reward (except that a lot of the shrines also reward you with additional gameplay).

All my shields are gone after an intense battle through 10'ish Guardians.

I was trying to reach the
shrine in the canyon temple

I ran out of Shields by the second half and just evasively flew using the windcurrents. Tons of of close calls but I made it to the
shrine
*0*

No more shields now though
That was some intense shit. One second you're looking around, the next you're running (gliding?) for cover.

Wensih

I think that it's certainly easy to see the game as "everything leads to a shrine, the entire game is about shrines", but at the same time, I don't think that really matters. Shrines in the game are a means to an end. They don't have to be a goal in themselves, but rather they are the method the game delivers rewards at the end of a quest to players, when there is no quest giver in sight to do so. It's interesting to look at the psychology of it. Every shrine is a spirit orb. That can be seen as exp in the game. There is also at least one chest in every shrine. That's an item reward - either money or an actual material, equipment, or weapon. The blessing shrines operate simply as a means to deliver that. So those are not really about "finding" the shrine, so much as the shrine being the method the game uses to reward the player for partaking in a quest.

There are also quests that don't really involve shrines as the termination point. I'll discuss those and other unique shrine quests in spoiler tags.
I feel that when you explore the world and run into things like the Labyrinths, Molduga, Eventide, etc, there shouldn't be a feeling of "I'm doing this for a shrine" but rather "wow, this is cool". The shrine at the end of these are a means of delivering a reward and serving as a end point "flag" of sorts to acknowledge your success. On the other hand, there are things like the White Horse, the Kass storyline, and the Dragon Bones. Those don't reward a shrine at the very end, although a number of the Kass locations do have shrines. Two of the Dragon Bones locations have shrines, one does not. But the termination point of the actual quests are character acknowledgements and a change in the player's understanding of the world and the people who inhabit it. There's really cool world building there, and that's the reward for exploring these quests. Another example is the 8th Heroine quest, where the rewards are actual items given by a NPC, and the actual quests are about discovering cool sights in the environment hidden away rather than finding a shrine.

I don't disagree that the shrine counter is a big motivator throughout the game for people looking for a metric of how well they're doing in exploring. But I feel just stepping away from that and seeing what the game offers shows that the metric itself isn't as important as it seems.

So I wasn't trying to make it seem that the cool tasks involved in shrine quests are just a means to an end for a shrine reward. What I'm saying is cool stuff are typically linked to shrines which is why I actively seek shrines out and which is why once shrines become sparse it becomes frustrating and exploration isn't as rewarding.

Top Bottom