• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Did the Zelda games before this one have the cooking to heal yourself/create elixirs?

Haven't play SS or MM but you could make elixirs in the previous game by collecting certain monster parts and handing them to the only potion shop in the entire game. But you can find item pickups with similar effects to the potions in grass or pots so it wasn't terribly useful. Only exception maybe the invincible elixir for ALBW.

duckroll

So I wasn't trying to make it seem that the cool tasks involved in shrine quests are just a means to an end for a shrine reward. What I'm saying is cool stuff are typically linked to shrines which is why I actively seek shrines out and which is why once shrines become sparse it becomes frustrating and exploration isn't as rewarding.

I agree though. I'm just saying the game isn't about just -exploring- for the sake of exploring, but that I feel there is enough density in the game for exploring the entire world to feel satisfying for a range of reasons. By the time the content thins out, I think it's a hint that the player should complete the game.

Firebrand

Speaking of potions, I really wish there was a witch's hut in this game to find, and help you make sense of icky ingredients rather than throwing them in the cooking pot you're gonna make omelettes in next.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree though. I'm just saying the game isn't about just -exploring- for the sake of exploring, but that I feel there is enough density in the game for exploring the entire world to feel satisfying for a range of reasons. By the time the content thins out, I think it's a hint that the player should complete the game.

Yeah, the last sentence is the truest bit. This game isn't sandbox, per se, but the incredibly open nature of it means that you are in charge of your own fun. If you're chafing for lack of new content, move on! Shrines and Korok seeds are only ever a means to an end. If you hit 60 Shrines and feel like you're begininng to tire, hit up Ganon. The only obstacle is your ability.

giapel

In a sense, modern gaming has conditioned us to follow paths and complete checklists in games. Not create our own adventures. That's why I never felt I enjoyed minecraft, where 10 year olds round the world are having a blast.
Thus Zelda is similar in that it requires you to immerse yourself and create an adventure, not break down the game into all its parts and mechanically complete them.
If I said, let's collect shrines today, I would get bored in 20 min. If I said though, hop on my trusty horse, cook some food, get my best armour on and let's explore what lurks inside this dark eerie forest, it all of a sudden sounds a lot more compelling.
What helps a lot is threads like this that give you inspiration for things to try for us folks that don't tend to have much imagination.

It was on Wii, there no original Zelda release for Wii U.
Well I can think of one that happened to be simultaneously released for another platform....

Thanks for the help on finding the last two memories. Got the
somewhat better ending
and am now going to drink around finding other stuff in the game I skipped for whatever reason.

Also am I crazy or is the timing on the laser reflection different/more generous when
you're fighting Calamity Ganon
?

Finished the game and had to look up a few shrines but finished with all of them. Hopefully the dlc fleshes out the story bits more but I enjoyed it regardless.

Burny

Did the Zelda games before this one have the cooking to heal yourself/create elixirs?

To expand upon the answers above ("No"):

There were always patches of high grass you could cut with the sword, which would spawn everything from hearts you could just run over to replenish health, to bombs, to potions for filling up a magic bar, to arrows, to... Enemies would also drop hearts and all the other "resources". Twilight Princess introduced bug collecting, which was only a side quest for the purpose of collecting bugs. Skyward Sword introduced "resources" that could be collected including bugs and things dropped from enemies or otherwise. BotW is the first game to build an internal "resource cycle" and goes beyond "enemies drop health packs", tasking the player to craft their own stuff. Would wish this expanded to arrows though. :p

What does a child hero, who skipped school to save the world, do then after the fact (in a world where rupees hide in grass)? They're looking for work:

jariw

So I wasn't trying to make it seem that the cool tasks involved in shrine quests are just a means to an end for a shrine reward. What I'm saying is cool stuff are typically linked to shrines which is why I actively seek shrines out and which is why once shrines become sparse it becomes frustrating and exploration isn't as rewarding.

If you want more exploration rewards, you can get all the armor/clothing sets in the game and upgrade them to 4-star. Collecting specific plants/animals that only are available in a specific hard-to-get-to part of Hyrule is quite rewarding IMO.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you refer to the ones you can purchase at Akkala lab, they are far more durable than Guardian weapons, based from my experience. Also, they have 50% damage bonus when used against guardians, so that kind of increases the durability as you can kill guardians on lesser hits.

Yeah these ones. Worth buying and if so which are a good sweet spot? Will be getting armour first and then looking into upgrades of course

Felensis

Banned
90 hours clocked and yesterday I've just beaten the last titan. What a unbelievable vast, mesmerizing and addicting hell of adventure this was, is and still will be. Now I'm finally going to destroy Calamity Ganon, but even then there are still lots of Shrines (done 65 atm), Kroks and Sidequests left. My thirst is real!

Farmboy

Yeah these ones. Worth buying and if so which are a good sweet spot? Will be getting armour first and then looking into upgrades of course

I really, really like the bow. Great range, with arrows' vertical arch hardly dropping off. I used it for
dragon farming
and
horseback archery
to great effect. Obvious it's also fantastic against guardians.

You do feel extra bad when it breaks though. I've gone through two already. But at a certain point rupees aren't really a problem, nor are most guardian parts.

random25

I don't think they are bang for the buck especially if you have the
Master Sword
that is pretty much effective against corrupted guardians but some of these are fun to play with. For the weapons, I think the best would be the two-handed blade saw. Makes lynel fight fast and easy with ancient armor bonus and attack up lvl.3 buff from cooking. The ancient bow is probably the most worth buying since it lasts so long compared to most of the bows and its range is the longest I believe. Great for long distance sniping.

TheJoRu

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get the point here. Like, the game can't have unlimited amounts of "cool stuff". You've seeked out shrines, explored for many many hours and seen a lot of cool things. Now most of it is done. The game is coming to an end.

My point is: The world is filled with bigger and smaller rewards and challenges. Shrines, and the things you get from them, are some of the bigger ones. The most basic, biggest rewards are the Divine Beasts. You need to decide when you feel the rewards are big enough for you to enjoy exploration. If you've done most of the shrines and don't feel that the smaller rewards are worth it then it's probably time to stop. And unless you played like 10 hours doing barely a fraction of the game before getting bored that's not the game's fault; I mean, how is exploration supposed to be rewarding after a player plays hundreds of hours doing most of the content? Things end.

So while I'm quoting a specific post here, what I'm really baffled by and replying to the most are the "so I played 150 hours, game is boring now, exploration isn't any fun. Liked the game before this, but now I'm not so sure"-posts I've been seeing. Like, you played for 150 hours. Is it not ok for the game to start feeling sparse and for you to go "it's time to round this off, had some good times though"? Just finish the game, whether that means beating Ganon or simply turn it off. Go start from the beginning and try something new and fun, or play something else. The game is over, go home.

jariw

Probably spent 30000 rupees in that lab, lol. I started in the other end. First by farming the arrows, then the shield, then the bow, and the armor last. Currently, I'm on 3-star armor for that set (need quite a few ancient cores for the last star).

The arrows, I personally only use to hunt moving guardians, since one shot will give 10-12 guardian parts, so a one-shot will result in a "profit" resource-wise. I use shield deflection for the guardians that are stuck in the ground, since they only give 4-5 guardian parts (and never cores?).

The bow is a powerful long-shot bow that shoot the arrow fast and straight for a huge distance. Useful for other things than guardian hunting.

The shield will deflect guardian beams even when the parry is unsynched. However, it will gradually get damaged if you miss the parry.

Haven't tried any of the melee weapons.

Farmboy

Excellent posts by duckroll and TheJoRu. I agree. (And wanted to add that finding a shrine of course also gives you a fast travel point, which may be better than the orb and chest).

Also: there's quite a bit of great (and rewarding) content not tied to shrines. If you focus on getting all 120 shrines first and ignore everything else until thereafter, you've probably done just over half the worthwhile content (by which I don't mean Korok seeds or map/compendium completion, just side quest content not linked to shrines, and of course the main quest content) by the time you complete shrine #120.

I do agree that an additional type of reward would have been nice. Some truly unique weapons would have been nice. Also would have liked it if they'd changed to look of the shrines per region, though I guess the game would probably not have been out yet if they did.

fun/epic thing to do: fight a Lynel in a lightning storm with shock/lightning-proof clothing and metal weaponry. Not only does the storm make the fight way more epic, you can do awesome shit like mounting the motherfucker just as you're about to get hit by lightning.

God I wish Switch had built in video capture/sharing.

Vibed

fun/epic thing to do: fight a Lynel in a lightning storm with shock/lightning-proof clothing and metal weaponry. Not only does the storm make the fight way more epic, you can do awesome shit like mounting the motherfucker just as you're about to get hit by lightning.

It will later on.

random25

Funny thing about lynels during lightning storms is that
they know how to evade incoming lightning strikes. Except when you mount them of course.

Grampasso

When talking about great linear and crafted places in the game, I wonder why no one mentions
Zonai ruins? It's one of the most atmospheric places in the game, deep in the jungle, and absolutely brutal with all the electric Lizalfos snipers.
Last place I visited yesterday
and it was a joke with the thunder helm XD.
I wanted to go there because looking at the map I was sure there would have been a shrine, and I was right. Speaking of which, is there a quest tied to all the dragons purification or was that exclusive to Naydra on Lanayru? I found the 3 shrines but no dragons in the neighborhood for 2 of them. Just have to snipe them while they roam around freely?

Lilo_D

Final "dungeon" is pretty disappointing to be honest.

Oh really? I guess you're disappointed because either your are at the very late game which makes every fight so easy or you can skip basically the whole castle and enter the ganon chamber ?

This blood moon shrine quest is a fucking joke.

Whose dumbass idea was this. Probably the same moron who thought rain was a good mechanic. (btw, the guy who predicts the moon won't do it when it's raining. lmfao)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Whose dumbass idea was this. Probably the same moron who thought rain was a good mechanic.
You don't need to be there at midnight.
You have plenty of time to warp close by and get there after the blood moon animation and still trigger it.

Wagram

Oh really? I guess you're disappointed because either your are at the very late game which makes every fight so easy or you can skip basically the whole castle and enter the ganon chamber ?

Actually, I've walked through the entire castle mainly to see what's inside considering it's easy to just skip it. I don't like the design. It's very not Zelda and there's nothing much to see inside. It's generic castle X from any random open world game.

In all actuality though, every dungeon in this game leaves something to be desired. They're all either short or underwhelming with boring bosses. It's something I feel they can improve on significantly in the next entry.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Actually, I've walked through the entire castle mainly to see what's inside considering it's easy to just skip it. I don't like the design. It's very not Zelda and there's nothing much to see inside. It's generic castle X from any random open world game.

In all actuality though, every dungeon in this game leaves something to be desired. They're all either short or underwhelming with boring bosses. It's something I feel they can improve on significantly in the next entry.
Why are the bosses boring though?

Lilo_D

You're actually the first person to say this
I totally disagree your opinion but let's see if it can draw some discussion
I think the hyrule castle is the high peak of dungeon design, I even wish games like dark souls can study and borrow some ideas from it

duckroll

Why are the bosses boring though?

I think they're not very satisfying for what they are. There's an emphasis simply being able to parry/evade/attack the bosses and win that way. They try some gimmicks with each one but it's half-hearted. When the optional bosses in the open world are more exciting and compelling fights than any of the story bosses, you can't deny that's a flaw.

I like the Divine Beasts, I don't hate the bosses, but they are definitely on the weaker side of design in the game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Whose dumbass idea was this. Probably the same moron who thought rain was a good mechanic. (btw, the guy who predicts the moon won't do it when it's raining. lmfao)

You just need to be there that same night (right than before the Blood Moon cutscene), there's plenty of time. The nearest shrine is the one
on top of Satori Mountain
, it's a very easy paraglide from there.

I find a lot of complaints come from people who missed the second part of the puzzle, and then thought they missed the Blood Moon time itself. Make sure you read the riddle carefully!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think they're not very satisfying for what they are. There's an emphasis simply being able to parry/evade/attack the bosses and win that way. They try some gimmicks with each one but it's half-hearted. When the optional bosses in the open world are more exciting and compelling fights than any of the story bosses, you can't deny that's a flaw.

I like the Divine Beasts, I don't hate the bosses, but they are definitely on the weaker side of design in the game.

Definitely. I think the problem is the bosses don't actually use the normal combat system. In all of them, you evade whatever special attack they have, then use a rune to stun them, then whale on them totally unhindered. There's no need to time your dodges to get in your attacks, like there is for a Lynel - instead, the game unhooks dodging from attacking. If you manage the dodge and the arrow, you can definitely attack totally safely.

I think they need the Blights to actually get in and close for some proper swordplay.

Chaos17

I'm glad there was no hand holding because it hurt me so much to a 25h tutorial intro in Persona 5.
Discovering things on your own is much more fun. I know bo5h game are different but still it 2as damn hard to play Persona after Zelda for me because of that.

Lilo_D

That's why I highly recommand beat the game early once
It's definitely harder and more epic

jariw

There are many different approaches to this quest. For example, there's no need for the man who predict the blood moon, since you can predict it yourself.

Cuburt

Yeah, speaking of good/better rewards: an item that can change the weather would be awesome.
That reminds me that this game could have definitely benefited from a musical instrument of some sort.
tumblr_m8zz53kWfU1qiws1uo1_500.gif

SongofStorms.jpg

You just need to be there that same night (right than before the Blood Moon cutscene), there's plenty of time. The nearest shrine is the one
on top of Satori Mountain
, it's a very easy paraglide from there.

I find a lot of complaints come from people who missed the second part of the puzzle, and then thought they missed the Blood Moon time itself. Make sure you read the riddle carefully!

Yeah, well, I didn't know that when it happened and now it's a dumb grind to make it reappear. Been killing enemies for an hour and still nothing. I don't like it when games waste my time.

jariw

Yeah, well, I didn't know that when it happened and now it's a dumb grind to make it reappear. Been killing enemies for an hour and still nothing. I don't like it when games waste my time.

Is that quest really the only thing you've left to do in the whole game? Blood moon can be spawned by other things that enemy kills, BTW.

Top Bottom