• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

SomTervo

Something is seriously up with Kass's "Two Rings" Shrine challenge.

I've fired
several arrows through three different, apparently valid combinations of rings (one required gliding past and slo-mo firing, another required leaping from my horse, another just involved crouching), and despite functionally completing the challenge several times (the arrow passed cleanly through two rings every time), none of them have registered.

Like, is this one of the super-rare (possibly only) instances where the game actually has a prescribed 'correct' answer to the problem? The three combinations I've tried didn't register.

jmartoine

Something is serious up with Kass's "Two Rings" Shrine challenge.

I've fired
several arrows through three different, apparently valid combinations of rings (one required gliding past and slo-mo firing, another required leaping from my horse, another just involved crouching), and despite functionally completing the challenge several times, none of them have registered.

Like, is this one of the super-rare (possibly only) instances where the game actually has a prescribed 'correct' answer to the problem? The three combinations I've tried didn't register.
What type of bow are you using? I had an issue where it wasn't working as I was using a Lynel bow that fired 3 at the same time. I switched it out with a single shot and it worked fine.

Would also like to add that for my solution I didn't need to glide/ jump off a horse, just stood lining rings up on foot.

SomTervo

What type of bow are you using? I had an issue where it wasn't working as I was using a Lynel bow that fired 3 at the same time. I switched it out with a single shot and it worked fine.

Would also like to add that for my solution I didn't need to glide/ jump off a horse, just stood lining rings up on foot.

Edited my post: I also did one just standing on foot (well, crouching).

Yep I noticed things were dodgy with Linel/Forest bow so I swapped to a single-shot. Same issue.

jariw

Yes, it is very the last thing I need to do.

Ok. Blood moons are triggered by "removal of permanent resources" from the overworld, so things like mining works as well to trigger it. If possible, chose a high place where it never rains or snow where you can see the moon go up. Fast forward to evening with a campfire. If the moon is red at the horizon, it's a blood moon.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I absolutely adore this game. I keep thinking I will get sick of exploring but it never happens. They did a really good job of putting interesting stuff in the world.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I've fired
several arrows through three different, apparently valid combinations of rings (one required gliding past and slo-mo firing, another required leaping from my horse, another just involved crouching), and despite functionally completing the challenge several times (the arrow passed cleanly through two rings every time), none of them have registered.

Looking at Youtube, I can see several different combinations of rings that have all worked - and mine seems to be unique! So no, I think any threaded arrow is valid. Are you sure that you're not getting too close to the rings so that the arrowhead is not past the entrance of the ring? Or that you're using a single-arrow bow instead of the Lynel/Korok bows?

Go do stuff to speed up the blood moon, and when it appears, warp to Satori mountain and glide over. You have plenty of time, since you only need to be at the pedestral that night, not when the moon happens.

And if he's for some reason too late, he can just load a previous save, then go there and wait until it happens.

SomTervo

Looking at Youtube, I can see several different combinations of rings that have all worked - and mine seems to be unique! So no, I think any threaded arrow is valid. Are you sure that you're not getting too close to the rings so that the arrowhead is not past the entrance of the ring? Or that you're using a single-arrow bow instead of the Lynel/Korok bows?

Perhaps I'm too close.

Will try again - thanks for confirming any should work!

Nosgotham

I've fired

You can't use a bow that shoots more than one arrow

Wensih

I agree though. I'm just saying the game isn't about just -exploring- for the sake of exploring, but that I feel there is enough density in the game for exploring the entire world to feel satisfying for a range of reasons. By the time the content thins out, I think it's a hint that the player should complete the game.

Agreed. Which was at 50 hours for me. I don't think my experienced was streamlined. People keep posting how they're finding double rainbows and towns for the first time 150 hours in, but I did all this stuff within 50.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get the point here. Like, the game can't have unlimited amounts of "cool stuff". You've seeked out shrines, explored for many many hours and seen a lot of cool things. Now most of it is done. The game is coming to an end.

My point is: The world is filled with bigger and smaller rewards and challenges. Shrines, and the things you get from them, are some of the bigger ones. The most basic, biggest rewards are the Divine Beasts. You need to decide when you feel the rewards are big enough for you to enjoy exploration. If you've done most of the shrines and don't feel that the smaller rewards are worth it then it's probably time to stop. And unless you played like 10 hours doing barely a fraction of the game before getting bored that's not the game's fault; I mean, how is exploration supposed to be rewarding after a player plays hundreds of hours doing most of the content? Things end.

So while I'm quoting a specific post here, what I'm really baffled by and replying to the most are the "so I played 150 hours, game is boring now, exploration isn't any fun. Liked the game before this, but now I'm not so sure"-posts I've been seeing. Like, you played for 150 hours. Is it not ok for the game to start feeling sparse and for you to go "it's time to round this off, had some good times though"? Just finish the game, whether that means beating Ganon or simply turn it off. Go start from the beginning and try something new and fun, or play something else. The game is over, go home.

My questions aren't intended to be requesting an infinite number of interesting tasks, but more wondering what else is there to do if people are baffled and saying I streamlined the game in 50 hours (not 150 hours).

ColdPizza

Banned
Any easy system for finding and catching energizing rhino beetles?

I search for them with my sheikah sensor via the compendium but they're so damn small I can't see what the heck I'm looking at.

ColdPizza

Banned

I've fired

This happened to me on the correct 2 rings....didn't register the first successful shot. Try again on the one you crouch to shoot (towards the canyon).

Vitet

My questions aren't intended to be requesting an infinite number of interesting tasks, but more wondering what else is there to do if people are baffled and saying I streamlined the game in 50 hours (not 150 hours).

I think it's pretty hard to complete all the game has to offer in 50 hours (without a guide)

I just completed the 120 shrines and I'm about 135h. And 600 koroks seeds left to discover plus some secondary missions left.
Most of the time it's just exploring, discovering places, shrines, quests, towns, stables, seeds... And later on some scavenging to upgrade my armors.

random25

I search for them with my sheikah sensor via the compendium but they're so damn small I can't see what the heck I'm looking at.

It's easy to see them at night. Drink some stealth potion or wear sheika armor to easily approach them.

StAidan

Beat my fourth Divine Beast (Vah Naboris) yesterday. The boss was so much more challenging than the other three, which I was pleased to discover. I didn't really mind him as much as some other folks here.

Anyway, I'm up to 113 shrines and 270-ish korok seeds. For the first time since starting the game, I have no idea where any more shrines might be, but I really want to do the rest without looking up the locations. I've already found what I believe to be some of the hardest ones (H
ebra
G
reat
S
keleton
, for instance), so hopefully I can wrap this up before too much longer...

Awesome, the game actually lets me use the
Master Sword without 13 hearts
. Traded all my stamina to health to grab it and then reverted it back to 3 hearts. Was expecting to keel over when I equipped it or something lol

Nictel

So the house in Hateno....

Did Link live there before? They talked about a guy owning it 100 years prior that went to work at Hyrule Castle...

I got that idea too.
I was hoping for some more confirmation or an unlocked memory on completion of the quest

Steejee

Had some fun with the magnet-as-boat-propellant trick last night on one of the rivers. Instead of pushing against the sail I would just whack the mast with a treasure chest and get a huge burst of speed. Wife found it quite hilarious. On that note, this game is one of those rare games that people love to sit and watch you play, to the point that more than one person has preferred just to watch me play over putting something on TV. I guess it looking like a Gibli movie doesn't hurt.

First bug that really annoyed me popped up twice last night in one of the Zora sidequests, with the letter - While tracking the letter down river, a blood moon popped up and the letter container vanished. Ugh. Tried the same quest a little while later, another blood moon! Third time I rested until dawn just to avoid that... Ending for that one was a bit weird, (very minor quest spoilers)
with the seemingly adult or older teenage guy falling in love with the Zora 'kid', though they were probably similar in age and Link + Mipha wouldn't have been much different.

DonShula

Wear the stealth armor and go to Luerlin Beach at night. There should be some on the palm trees along the shore near the peninsula that looks like a boot.

So, yesterday we beat the game with the gf. Here are my thoughts:

Quite possibly the most fun I had with a Zelda game since Majora's Mask. The possibilities are basically endless and the Paraglider makes a very nice traveling companion. My gripe comes to the absolutely batshit easy difficulty of the bosses. Like... seriously, I don't think I have seen easier bosses in any Zelda game before. I mean, the Hard Ancient bosses were harder than any of the 5 main bosses.
I guess this is a game where the adventure itself is harder than it's resolution.

Pros

- The graphics are beautiful for a Wii U game.
- Absurd number of items, weapons, equipment and whatnot. The fact that the weapons had durability made me think on which weapon to use on the next enemy, or maybe even swap in the middle of a fight against a Lynel.
- I truly loved the cooking feature, even if I feel that the final product was a little bit undercooked (pun intended).
- Riding feels quite right, not as good as Shadow of the Colossus, but certainly closer than most games.
- Vast world full of little secrets. It's very enjoyable to find a chest in a god forsaken place to find some Ancient Core, or even some Ice Arrows.
- Finally, Rupees seem to be worth something. Even if some prices were idiotic (2000 rupees for a single Ancient Helmet, plus a handful of items? GTFO)
- The music was really beautiful. Not the best for a Zelda game, but it feels like it will be one to remember.

Cons

- While I was fightning a Black Moblin in Gerudo Mountain (I think it was there) the game dropped to 0 fps. That is simply unacceptable. It didn't happen once, it didn't happen twice, it happened everytime I did.
- Again, the bosses are piss easy. Maybe I was overpowered in every instance, but that feels really odd. So odd, that I'll say that any Talus was harder than the 5 main bosses. Maybe even a Hinox was harder than the 5 main bosses.
- While I feel that the rocks being slippery during a rain was a neat feature. The fact that it was hard locked to slip after X number of "climbs", was really off putting. It was never a moment of: "Shit, maybe I'll try to climb." It was always something like: "Well, I'll wait until it stops raining".
- The dungeons were one of the most boring parts of the game. Like yeah, the premise was really good. But the actual design? Get out. Some of the shrines were really clever, but some others were plain lazy. Quality over quantity guys. Majora's Mask should have taught you that.
- While I liked the VA, I feel they were underused. Maybe they went the minimalistic route, still (while a little biased) this feels as a con to me.

So, there is this.

Red

I think they're not very satisfying for what they are. There's an emphasis simply being able to parry/evade/attack the bosses and win that way. They try some gimmicks with each one but it's half-hearted. When the optional bosses in the open world are more exciting and compelling fights than any of the story bosses, you can't deny that's a flaw.

I like the Divine Beasts, I don't hate the bosses, but they are definitely on the weaker side of design in the game.
The overworld bosses aren't much, either. Talus die within seconds and do pitiful damage even in the early game (I don't think they've ever hit me for more than 1/4 heart!). Hinox can be hit in the eye endlessly by floating the targeting reticle over where the eye will be each time they get up from the last hit. They never cover their eyes in time to stop it. Molduga only pose a problem if they catch you in an open space without a mount.

Lynels are the most interesting enemy in game, but do they count as bosses?

ColdPizza

Banned
So, yesterday we beat the game with the gf. Here are my thoughts:

Quite possibly the most fun I had with a Zelda game since Majora's Mask. The possibilities are basically endless and the Paraglider makes a very nice traveling companion. My gripe comes to the absolutely batshit easy difficulty of the bosses. Like... seriously, I don't think I have seen easier bosses in any Zelda game before. I mean, the Hard Ancient bosses were harder than any of the 5 main bosses.
I guess this is a game where the adventure itself is harder than it's resolution.

Pros

- The graphics are beautiful for a Wii U game.
- Absurd number of items, weapons, equipment and whatnot. The fact that the weapons had durability made me think on which weapon to use on the next enemy, or maybe even swap in the middle of a fight against a Lynel.
- I truly loved the cooking feature, even if I feel that the final product was a little bit undercooked (pun intended).
- Riding feels quite right, not as good as Shadow of the Colossus, but certainly closer than most games.
- Vast world full of little secrets. It's very enjoyable to find a chest in a god forsaken place to find some Ancient Core, or even some Ice Arrows.
- Finally, Rupees seem to be worth something. Even if some prices were idiotic (2000 rupees for a single Ancient Helmet, plus a handful of items? GTFO)
- The music was really beautiful. Not the best for a Zelda game, but it feels like it will be one to remember.

Cons

- While I was fightning a Black Moblin in Gerudo Mountain (I think it was there) the game dropped to 0 fps. That is simply unacceptable. It didn't happen once, it didn't happen twice, it happened everytime I did.
- Again, the bosses are piss easy. Maybe I was overpowered in every instance, but that feels really odd. So odd, that I'll say that any Talus was harder than the 5 main bosses. Maybe even a Hinox was harder than the 5 main bosses.
- While I feel that the rocks being slippery during a rain was a neat feature. The fact that it was hard locked to slip after X number of "climbs", was really off putting. It was never a moment of: "Shit, maybe I'll try to climb." It was always something like: "Well, I'll wait until it stops raining".
- The dungeons were one of the most boring parts of the game. Like yeah, the premise was really good. But the actual design? Get out. Some of the shrines were really clever, but some others were plain lazy. Quality over quantity guys. Majora's Mask should have taught you that.
- While I liked the VA, I feel they were underused. Maybe they went the minimalistic route, still (while a little biased) this feels as a con to me.

So, there is this.

Yeah, Moblins in snowy environments is what does it for me, too.

I wish this game had some tough dungeons like Bloodborne, but I'm guessing Nintendo doesn't really like to cater to the hardcore hard-mode style player.

maxcriden

Agreed. Which was at 50 hours for me. I don't think my experienced was streamlined. People keep posting how they're finding double rainbows and towns for the first time 150 hours in, but I did all this stuff within 50.

Side note, but, we've seen at least one double rainbow. Can you do anything with these?

DrArchon

Make sure to wear the full Sheikah armor as well. As long as you aren't sprinting while wearing that, they won't fly away, so you've got a lot more leeway in finding/catching them.

maxcriden

Is there a date for the first dlc pack yet?

Nope, just "summer."

We saw them around the Mount Taran area a lot, like in the wooded areas around the Three
Brothers
shrine quest. As another poster mentioned the Sheikah armor helps a lot. They tend to be attached to the sides of trees.

Vitet

Talus die within seconds and do pitiful damage even in the early game (I don't think they've ever hit me for more than 1/4 heart!).

I found one in a Beach soon in my game and it actually killed me. Many hearts of damage from every hit, and I didn't know yet how to damage him.

Something weird happened. Suddenly all the store restock arrows, but I'm sure I have more than 100 for all kinds of arrows except ancient.

And about chest respawn, I found a chest underwater that contains 10 arrows in Eventide island, and it shows up again every time I save and load the game. I tried with some other chests but didn't work with S/L. It's strange that S/L can be a respawn condition when there's blood moon.

rhandino

Banned
This blood moon shrine quest is a fucking joke.

Whose dumbass idea was this. Probably the same moron who thought rain was a good mechanic. (btw, the guy who predicts the moon won't do it when it's raining. lmfao)

I saw a lot of people pressed by this shrine but I still cannot understand why wait there for a Blood Moon when you can mark the spot and go explore somewhere else, kill the enemies to accelerate the rise of the Blood Moon and when you notice it just warp to a shrine near it and run (using a speed potion + Sheikah armor for bonus speeeeeeeed!)

This and the stealth sections are so inoffensive that it baffles me that people are getting walled by them.

I saw a lot of people pressed by this shrine but I still cannot understand why wait there for a Blood Moon when you can mark the spot and go explore somewhere else, kill the enemies to accelerate the rise of the Blood Moon and when you notice it just warp to a shrine near it and run (using a speed potion + Sheikah armor for bonus speeeeeeeed!)

This and the stealth sections are so inoffensive that it baffles me that people are getting walled by them.

You don't even need that. I teleported to the nearby shrine at about 11:05pm. Glided directly to it and ran 10 steps. The respawn cutscene came up before I made it to the platform, but I was still able to solve the puzzle in time. There's really no need to rush at all. You don't even need to mark it. You can just select the quest in your log and it will put the waypoint on the map for you.

Vitet

It was also my 120 shrine and I didn't know you could speed the blood moon by killing enemies. The quest made me think to wait there until a blood moon.

Regarding the stealth sections, which I usually hate in any game, the
Yiga Clan
cost me a few tries, but nothing abusive.
But the
little korok at the lost woods
was a huge pain in the ass. I think I beat it in my 14 or 15th try. It was painful, it started over every time and
when the wolf appeared the korok moved to different positions every time, so my previous strategy didn't work, and I didn't realized you could just kill the wolf, so I was stuck in that section like 1 hour or more

PMS341

I've reached a point now where I feel I could "comfortably" beat the game. 80 shrines down, all Divine Beasts taken care of, etc. I really, really want the feeling of heading to Hyrule Castle with
the full Wild Set, Master Sword, and Hylian Shield, so would finishing up the last 40 shrines really be all that time consuming? Quite a few of them are shrine quests I'm sure.

RSP

lol, I found the quest and a Blood Moon appeared that same evening.

maxcriden

I did not know you had to beat the game to see that. I guess I never noticed it until a few days ago

NP. Yep, you need to beat the game for it to appear.

There are three types of skeletons you'll run into (as far as I've seen) Bokoblin, which will rise up as you approach at night. Stal
nox, which are large skeletons that will not rise if you are close to them, just mark where they are and approach after dark for these to properly spawn.
And bone piles, these are unidentified skeletons that are just props and do nothing.

Thanks for this info, it's much appreciated!

If this is the one next to the waterfall, then the structure where you found the cube is the clue. The structure where the cube belongs is, as I recall,
up on the rock wall on the other side of the water
. Kind of hard to see unless you're looking for it.

I remember something similar where it was either the context or the thing to place it in was
underwater

One of them seemed pretty good
Goron one though I only used it for breaking rocks because I lacked a sledgehammer...yeah I know bombs work too if sending the rocks flying miles is desired

StAidan, that is exactly where it ended up being! Thank you so much. It was insanely difficult to spot...!

Starwolf, thanks very much for the tip in the spoiler tags. We'd been using
bombs only and never realized that we could mine ore with certain weapons until yesterday we happened upon that discovery and then I saw your post here. Man. It's a tradeoff for durability's sake I suppose but we definitely would have taken advantage of it for certain cliffside ore that was very hard to get with bombs...so from now we will definitely do so in such situations. I didn't even put that together that it wouldn't go flying when you use a weapon to mine ore even after we discovered it so your tip was extra handy in that respect.

mindatlarge

I've reached a point now where I feel I could "comfortably" beat the game. 80 shrines down, all Divine Beasts taken care of, etc. I really, really want the feeling of heading to Hyrule Castle with
the full Wild Set, Master Sword, and Hylian Shield, so would finishing up the last 40 shrines really be all that time consuming? Quite a few of them are shrine quests I'm sure.
If you're using a guide for the locations of the Shrines and tips on how to start the Shrine quests that you have remaining, you wouldn't be talking too much time. Without a guide, that could take a good amount of time. Definitely feels good entering Hyrule Castle all suited up like you described. Pretty much my feelings too, I wanted to feel as "complete" as possible before taking on the final boss.

Why are the bosses boring though?
Since you can fight them in any order and don't really gain many abilities past the Great Plateau anyway, they can't really be as unique or difficult as bosses in past Zelda games. Generally I liked not having a setup with "bomb dungeon with lots of bomb puzzles", but lacking the unique bosses kind of hurt. Just sitting back, staying alive, and shooting arrows went a lot farther than I expected it should.

So the house in Hateno....

Did Link live there before? They talked about a guy owning it 100 years prior that went to work at Hyrule Castle...
Wait really? I missed that detail, but that would actually explain a lot. It explains why
Link makes his last stand at Hateno fort. He was just trying to protect his hometown ;_;.
Really cool detail.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wait really? I missed that detail, but that would actually explain a lot. It explains why
Link makes his last stand at Hateno fort. He was just trying to protect his hometown ;_;.
Really cool detail.
If that's what happened, then
he succeeded because Hateno was largely spared from the Calamity.

Top Bottom