• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Vibed

Wait really? I missed that detail, but that would actually explain a lot. It explains why
Link makes his last stand at Hateno fort. He was just trying to protect his hometown ;_;.
Really cool detail.
Yeah,
I remember finding out early on both that the hero died at Fort Hateno, which is why it's least affected by Ganon's attacks, and that "a champion" once lived in Hateno, but nobody know what happened to him or if he lived or died.
Really cool details into
Link's backstory
. Wish there was more stuff like it.

To be fair (memory spoilers)
that was Zelda doing, nuking the whole battlefield Link included.
This too.

Nictel

So one of the loading hints is "Not only the faerie statues give you hearts, in a remote corner of the world there is someone who will gladly give you hearts for risking your life".

Hateno is hardly a remote corner of the world so it seems this isn't the stamina <-> heart trading. I wonder if there is perhaps another way too increase your hearts? Though I have seen zero discussion about this so perhaps it is a translation issue?

rhandino

Banned
It was also my 120 shrine and I didn't know you could speed the blood moon by killing enemies. The quest made me think to wait there until a blood moon.

Regarding the stealth sections, which I usually hate in any game, the
Yiga Clan
cost me a few tries, but nothing abusive.
But the
little korok at the lost woods
was a huge pain in the ass. I think I beat it in my 14 or 15th try. It was painful, it started over every time and
when the wolf appeared the korok moved to different positions every time, so my previous strategy didn't work, and I didn't realized you could just kill the wolf, so I was stuck in that section like 1 hour or more
wait... there is a
wolf?
I... I never noticed that x_x

Mostly because I did that section at my first try (always hiding behind trees, using Sheika armor and letting him go a good distance away from me... to not lose sight of him in the grass I used a rune (Cryonis) since the grid overlay covers everything except him making very easy to know where he is and what direction he is looking at every moment.

I enjoyed it quite a lot because he was so cute kawaii desu-ne!!!!1!!!

atr0cious

difficult as bosses in past Zelda games.
Source needed. I haven't even touched a boss in this game, but "difficult Zelda boss" hasn't been a thing in any 3d Zelda. Of course not talking about SS, which has the awesome motion controls and is pretty much it's own thing as well in that department.

duckroll

Today I found Zelda's room, completed the White Horse quest by finding Outskirt Stables (since I already got the horse earlier), wandered around randomly a little. Still can't find the last memory.

I also accidentally triggered the final boss fight at one point, but I was distracted and died. Didn't want to beat the game yet so I just left.

Now I'm in the Collesium Ruins. Looks dangerous. But the design is so cool!

Where is that last elusive memory.... I don't want spoilers I just want a nudge in the right direction!

ColdPizza

Banned
Today I found Zelda's room, completed the White Horse quest by finding Outskirt Stables (since I already got the horse earlier), wandered around randomly a little. Still can't find the last memory.

I also accidentally triggered the final boss fight at one point, but I was distracted and died. Didn't want to beat the game yet so I just left.

Where is that last elusive memory.... I don't want spoilers I just want a nudge in the right direction!

Which one? The forest looking one?

visit every stable you can think of and see if that painter guy is there

Vibed

If you look in the background of the picture, you can see Hyrule Castle from a certain angle...

Another hint

Look eastward

jariw

If it's the memory I think it is, you have a painter mentioning where it is, and the painter is in
Lurelin Village

ColdPizza

Banned
If you look in the background of the picture, you can see Hyrule Castle from a certain angle...

Another hint

Look eastward

if he found zelda's room he must have found the memory right there, i think he's referring to the forest one

random25

So the house in Hateno....

Did Link live there before? They talked about a guy owning it 100 years prior that went to work at Hyrule Castle...

So you actually bought your own house? The nerve of Bolson to demolish the Hero's house and sells it back to the owner!

I read about it too but didn't think of it that much when that dialogue popped up. Maybe you're right.

Nyoro SF

So the house in Hateno....

Did Link live there before? They talked about a guy owning it 100 years prior that went to work at Hyrule Castle...

That's amazing. I actually remember him saying this and it flying right over my head.

Since you can fight them in any order and don't really gain many abilities past the Great Plateau anyway, they can't really be as unique or difficult as bosses in past Zelda games. Generally I liked not having a setup with "bomb dungeon with lots of bomb puzzles", but lacking the unique bosses kind of hurt. Just sitting back, staying alive, and shooting arrows went a lot farther than I expected it should.

That's more of the fault of regular game design rather than the result of designing them to be challenged in any order.

Also, difficult 3D Zelda bosses... hahaha... hahahahaha
I can't even remember the last time getting hit even mattered in a 3D Zelda.

Anteo

You thought it was northwest because of the order of the memories. Your logic is right.

So the second to last memory is near
lanayru mountain and then they go to the castle right?

ColdPizza

Banned
There seem to be quite a few that don't trigger the radar so that's probably why. I'm kind of in the same boat, although I still have one region left untouched.

yeah, the sensor doesn't work on ones where you need to activate the pedestal....those can be tricky and frustrating to find

The later memories have a bit of a sequence to them. If you can guess what memory # it is (on the adventure log), try re-watching the one before and see if you can't narrow it down.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm talking about that one.
Zelda's room is west, silly

man, i keep looking at the forest one and
can't make out hyrule castle
, you must have better eyes than me

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-captured-memories-locations-where-to-find-every-148976386639.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
Well, color me absolutely, insanely impressed with Zelda and its fans...people have actually deciphered these damn glyphs.

10545-SheikahGlyphs-jpg

I guess Duckroll, if you get super frustrated, you can find the location here using this codex.

Vibed

Well, color me absolutely, insanely impressed with Zelda and its fans...people have actually deciphered these damn glyphs.

10545-SheikahGlyphs-jpg

I guess Duckroll, if you get super frustrated, you can find the location here using this codex.
Yeah, RagnorokX here is good about that, he solved a looooooot. I remember I helped decode some of the language for Skyward Sword on Zelda Dungeon back in the day.

So one of the loading hints is "Not only the faerie statues give you hearts, in a remote corner of the world there is someone who will gladly give you hearts for risking your life".

Hateno is hardly a remote corner of the world so it seems this isn't the stamina <-> heart trading. I wonder if there is perhaps another way too increase your hearts? Though I have seen zero discussion about this so perhaps it is a translation issue?
I'm pretty sure it's referring to
Hateno
. A bit weird word choice though, I agree.

Mega

Banned
I finally beat the game last night. I made one attempt weeks ago, on a whim, weaker, not properly equipped, two dungeon Ganons remaining, barely any practice with parrying. It didn't go well and I died struggling against Calamity Ganon. This time it was a cakewalk because I've been practicing parrying a lot more, my inventory was huge after actually finding Hetsu (and much better equips), Master Sword on hand this time, tons of food (although I barely touched it).

I got to explore the castle more this time and found some additional things, such as
second to last memory
and weapons I've never seen elsewhere. The ending was a little underwhelming but I hear I need to get all of the memories for the best ending (I'm missing the last one). That last pic is vague as hell with no geographical markers so it's gonna be a challenge.

I found it appropriate to fight Ganon with my most used gear in the game rather than my most powerful, because I felt most attached to it: climber's bandana, climbing gear, stealth tights (still haven't found the climbing pants!). Some of the heavier equips look dorky as hell and feels impersonal to my journey.

I found 95 shrines without any use of the sheikah sensor. I still have some less explored regions to look through. I'll probably hit around 100-110 and then use the sensor for the rest.

The southern tropical regions of my map are still fairly unexplored and there is still one fairy (in the North East?) that I can't find. And there are a bunch of side missions I haven't gotten to yet. I can't believe I've been playing for over a month straight, since launch, and still have a few weeks left of stuff to do and find.

Seeing places and characters from the game in the credits gave me a certain feeling, like damn that felt like a year ago. It reminds me of the hobbits in LOTR: ROTK finally returning to the Shire, completely transformed and after what felt like ages. GOTY!

rhandino

Banned
Is there a way to increase your hearts and stamina short of completing shrines? Just wondering.
Defeated bosses give you a full heart

You can use those in the respecc statue on Hateno and exchange them for stamina.

You can also make food and potions that gives you aditional hearts and stamina but those are temporal.

maxcriden

I agree with the above poster. I think the translator was just being stylistic there. It's definitely referring to that particular
dealer of boons

That's more of the fault of regular game design rather than the result of designing them to be challenged in any order.

Also, difficult 3D Zelda bosses... hahaha... hahahahaha
I can't even remember the last time getting hit even mattered in a 3D Zelda.

As atr0cious mentioned I think some of the swordplay-based bosses in Skyward are reasonably tough depending on the player's sword skills. (Mine I can say were not awesome so I found the Ghirahim and related battles difficult and satisfying to beat.)

I definitely agree that the 2D bosses tend to be harder. We were recently replaying Minish Cap and I was surprised how comparatively tough a couple of the bosses were.

Wait wrong memory. nevermind

Crayolan

Definitely. I think the problem is the bosses don't actually use the normal combat system. In all of them, you evade whatever special attack they have, then use a rune to stun them, then whale on them totally unhindered. There's no need to time your dodges to get in your attacks, like there is for a Lynel - instead, the game unhooks dodging from attacking. If you manage the dodge and the arrow, you can definitely attack totally safely.

I think they need the Blights to actually get in and close for some proper swordplay.

wut

Almost all of the boss attacks can be parried/flurry rush'd. I can only think of like 3 exceptions.
Windblight's tornadoes, Thunderblight's metal poles, and Waterblight's ice blocks, though the latter can still be hit back using stasis

Drewfonse

You can get temporary boosts to both from cooking. But for permanent increases you have to do shrines and Devine beasts.

Defeated bosses give you a full heart

You can use those in the respecc statue on Hateno and exchange them for stamina.

You can also make food and potions that gives you aditional hearts and stamina but those are temporal.

You get one Heart Container per Divine Beast.

Thanks!

How the hell do j figure out the combinations of ingredients for very specific boosts? Is there a recipe book that I'm missing?

Anteo

Cooking is dynamic. It is rarely about the specific ingredients, you can use a base recipe and enhance it with different ingridients. For example one npc told me about salt + milk + carrot was a kind of soup

From there I tried salt + milk + meat for another kind of soup then I added radishes that give extra hearts. I could have added other ingridienta instead of radishes for a dofferent bonus.

So I went to the next Titan near Goronia and need some help:

I freed Yunobo and shot with the cannon on the Titan to get that bridge down and reach it. Yunobo wanted to attack right away, yet I wanted to prepare and went back to a shop to buy potions etc. When I went back Yunobo was gone and the only mark on the map is where the village chief is. Where is Yunobo now?

Since you can fight them in any order and don't really gain many abilities past the Great Plateau anyway, they can't really be as unique or difficult as bosses in past Zelda games. Generally I liked not having a setup with "bomb dungeon with lots of bomb puzzles", but lacking the unique bosses kind of hurt. Just sitting back, staying alive, and shooting arrows went a lot farther than I expected it should.

What I would have wanted to see with the bosses would be more interactivity with the environment and use of the slate abilities. Not necessarily as a requirement, but just to give players more of a sandbox to deal with the situation. Only one of the bosses I've dealt with had that element, and that was only a single aspect (
fight in the water room where cryonis can be used to create barriers or break the cryo blocks thrown at the player
).

However, a bit more variety in the encounters themselves is probably more of an actual issue.

My Switch arrived today, and I got to play Zelda for about two hours! I'll admit, I was pretty skeptical about the game when it was first showcased, mostly because I prefer my stories to be linear and this game is anything but. However, I have to say that I somehow fell in love with the non-linear set-up of this game. Getting dropped into what feels like nowhere and figuring out all these little creatures, weapons, mechanics, recipes, etc. on my own is a pretty exciting endeavour! I think what differentiates this game from other open-world games that I've played is that I'm not given a specific mission, and then told to go do that quest in an overwhelming large, and sometimes boring, world. Rather, this game feels like the world is mine to explore. Ya know?

Obviously there's still A LOT more for me to do - I've barely even touched the game. I've only done the magnet + bomb trials so far. Most of my time was spent exploring and whatnot.

But yeah, I'm starting to understand the hype. Now I gotta go power through an essay so I can get back to Hyrule asap.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Srsly farming
starbits
is a giant pain in the ass i want to
upgrade
my amiibo gear

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Fuck. It's just shocking to me that against all odds -- Miyamoto not having a direct role, newer staff and director, Nintendo is still able to pull off a earth-shattering masterpiece like this. Honestly, this game was likely to be good but I wonder if it's Nintendos way of saying "Okay, so you didn't buy the Wii U... but here's why you should still be paying attention." with a fucking exclamation mark.

Top Bottom