• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

If it's the memory I think it is, you have a painter mentioning where it is, and the painter is in
Lurelin Village
This definitely isn't right. I remember him being in one of the Hyrule Field stables. I'm pretty sure it was Wetland stable.

Can someone that completed the game confirm something for me?
I heard the final boss is really easy and underwhelming, so I wanted to go for a suicide run before I do any more of the main quest after meeting Impa. I'm assuming this won't be the case with my whole 5 hearts. If I do win, does the the last boss reset so I can beat him as intended?

mindatlarge

My Switch arrived today, and I got to play Zelda for about two hours! I'll admit, I was pretty skeptical about the game when it was first showcased, mostly because I prefer my stories to be linear and this game is anything but. However, I have to say that I somehow fell in love with the non-linear set-up of this game. Getting dropped into what feels like nowhere and figuring out all these little creatures, weapons, mechanics, recipes, etc. on my own is a pretty exciting endeavour! I think what differentiates this game from other open-world games that I've played is that I'm not given a specific mission, and then told to go do that quest in an overwhelming large, and sometimes boring, world. Rather, this game feels like the world is mine to explore. Ya know?

Obviously there's still A LOT more for me to do - I've barely even touched the game. I've only done the magnet + bomb trials so far. Most of my time was spent exploring and whatnot.

But yeah, I'm starting to understand the hype. Now I gotta go power through an essay so I can get back to Hyrule asap.
Keep this mentality throughout your playthrough of the game, and you'll be in for quite a treat. Those that rush into the main story quests without stopping to sniff the flowers miss out on what this game is built on, exploration and discovery.

Pinky

Banned
Seriously.

Death Mountain is the best area in the game.

- The scale of the region is mind-blowing

- The
mining areas with all the Goron miners
is cool

- Lots of ore to discover

- You can
cook your food on the freakin’ ground!

- Goron City is the best city/village in the game(Lurelin Village is a close second). The locales, the music, the atmosphere, etc…

-
Mine carts!!!

- The main theme that plays while traversing the region. A nice nod to the
Level 9 theme from the very first game.
I love it!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I heard the final boss is really easy and underwhelming, so I wanted to go for a suicide run before I do any more of the main quest after meeting Impa. I'm assuming this won't be the case with my whole 5 hearts. If I do win, does the the last boss reset so I can beat him as intended?
After you finish the game, your last save will place you right before the final boss encounter. I don't think anything else is different aside from
your save having a star next to it, and the world map having a completion % indicator.

I haven't tried yet, but I'm pretty sure you can re-do the final boss fight and ending.

After finishing the game, I've just been randomly exploring areas that I glossed over before. It's pretty great. This is the only game in recent memory that makes me feel like a kid that's randomly exploring places out of pure curiosity.

So I went to the next Titan near Goronia and need some help:

I freed Yunobo and shot with the cannon on the Titan to get that bridge down and reach it. Yunobo wanted to attack right away, yet I wanted to prepare and went back to a shop to buy potions etc. When I went back Yunobo was gone and the only mark on the map is where the village chief is. Where is Yunobo now?

Is the timer still running? If not, check by the cannon, not the bridge.

mindatlarge

Yes,
the quest to kill him will remain as well after you reload your save after beating him. A star will now be by your save to show you beat the game though. You are free to explore the game and retake him on again.

I'd like to start exploring the castle, but I still want to do stuff out in the world. Can someone tell me if there are warp points that I reach within the castle? I've covered the grounds up to the gate a few times farming the guardians, but the nearest shrine is still a bit of a distance from the main gate. I'm talking about the one tucked in the hills.

mindatlarge

I'd like to start exploring the castle, but I still want to do stuff out in the world. Can someone tell me if there are warp points that I reach within the castle? I've covered the grounds up to the gate a few times farming the guardians, but the nearest shrine is still a bit of a distance from the main gate. I'm talking about the one tucked in the hills.
Yes,
there's a shrine hidden in the castle.

Fuck. It's just shocking to me that against all odds -- Miyamoto not having a direct role, newer staff and director, Nintendo is still able to pull off a earth-shattering masterpiece like this. Honestly, this game was likely to be good but I wonder if it's Nintendos way of saying "Okay, so you didn't buy the Wii U... but here's why you should still be paying attention." with a fucking exclamation mark.

Miyamoto's a legend, but Nintendo is full of unsung creative geniuses. Even after he retires, the company will be chock-full of talent.

Kanhir

Once you beat the game, it creates a save point outside the chamber where you fight the last boss (with a star to show the game was completed), and you can leave the castle and play as normal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
wut

Almost all of the boss attacks can be parried/flurry rush'd. I can only think of like 3 exceptions.
Windblight's tornadoes, Thunderblight's metal poles, and Waterblight's ice blocks, though the latter can still be hit back using stasis

Right, you can do this... but it's much easier to spam arrows. There's no need to engage in any of the bosses up close, at the level they might actually be dangerous. Instead, you learn to dodge their ranged attack (usually quite easy), hit the eye with an arrow, bring out your highest attack weapon, and bash them while they're stunned and unable to attack. It is pretty unsatisfactory. There's absolutely no need to Flurry or Parry or do any up-and-close dangerous combat.

Dr.Hadji

Fuck. It's just shocking to me that against all odds -- Miyamoto not having a direct role, newer staff and director, Nintendo is still able to pull off a earth-shattering masterpiece like this. Honestly, this game was likely to be good but I wonder if it's Nintendos way of saying "Okay, so you didn't buy the Wii U... but here's why you should still be paying attention." with a fucking exclamation mark.

Aonuma and Fubayashi are the real deal. One of the best things about BotW is that the call for Koizumi to develop Zelda has quelled some.

Once again, I have to give a shout out to the Shrines. Simply fantastic. Really more than mini dungeons, I think they play out more like Mario Galaxy levels. A lot of Shrines aren't even about a puzzle, but more the expression of an idea.

jariw

Miyamoto has the same role here as in other home console 1st party projects: "General Producer"

For BotW, he should add "tree climber" as well:
http://kotaku.com/when-miyamoto-first-played-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-h-1793017234

Hint: if you approach the castle from the direction that a certain NPC tells you, you'll reach the that spot pretty fast.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to find some more stables! I know there's a few towns I haven't even found yet.

Truth be told, I am so excited to go to the castle but I don't want to go there without having as much as I possibly can. I'm really resisting the urge. I got the full guardian armor set so I just feel like a total bad ass and I want to know what's going on in there! But I know I have a ton left to do. I'm at like 67 shrines so far.

Aonuma and Fubayashi are the real deal. One of the best things about BotW is that the call for Koizumi to develop Zelda has quelled some.

Once again, I have to give a shout out to the Shrines. Simply fantastic. Really more than mini dungeons, I think they play out more like Mario Galaxy levels. A lot of Shrines aren't even about a puzzle, but more the expression of an idea.

Seriously. Majora's Mask is top tier in large part due to Aonuma and Koizumi's teamwork.

Crayolan

Right, you can do this... but it's much easier to spam arrows. There's no need to engage in any of the bosses up close, at the level they might actually be dangerous. Instead, you learn to dodge their ranged attack (usually quite easy), hit the eye with an arrow, bring out your highest attack weapon, and bash them while they're stunned and unable to attack. It is pretty unsatisfactory. There's absolutely no need to Flurry or Parry or do any up-and-close dangerous combat.

Huh, well I never experienced that cause I was always low on arrows. For the majority of my playthrough I was consistently low on arrows so I never even thought of wasting arrows laming out the boss when I could just use my regular weapons. Not until like my last divine beast did I have enough arrows that I could just sit in the corner firing at the boss until they were dead.

I guess Nintendo didn't count on people grinding for arrows or whatever people were doing to make arrows so worthless early on. Hopefully in hard mode they give the bosses an answer to arrow spammers. Maybe they could deflect them back when not stunned.

Thanks for the information guys, I'm going on my crazy attempt later. Again, potential final boss spoilers:
I really hope that the fight is cool, and that it being "underwhelming" was simply referring to difficulty. Without any specifics, was the fight itself pretty cool, pretending difficulty isn't a factor?

Thanks for the information guys, I'm going on my crazy attempt later. Again, potential final boss spoilers:
I really hope that the fight is cool, and that it being "underwhelming" was simply referring to difficulty. Without any specifics, was the fight itself pretty cool, pretending difficulty isn't a factor?

It's moderately cool. I was neither blown away nor disappointed.

Nyoro SF

Huh, well I never experienced that cause I was always low on arrows. For the majority of my playthrough I was consistently low on arrows so I never even thought of wasting arrows laming out the boss when I could just use my regular weapons. Not until like my last divine beast did I have enough arrows that I could just sit in the corner firing at the boss until they were dead.

I guess Nintendo didn't count on people grinding for arrows or whatever people were doing to make arrows so worthless early on. Hopefully in hard mode they give the bosses an answer to arrow spammers. Maybe they could deflect them back when not stunned.

Thunderblight does block arrows of all types, so it surprised me that the other bosses are unwilling to do the same outside of the one barrier the Fire one generates.

ReBirFh

About the stables
It almost looks like they once intedend for you to be able to tame other animals, there is no reason for that horse head besides the name if horses are all you can tame
About a certain house
I would love to have enough space to display every piece of weapon or armor you can get, it would be a nice post game addition and you should be able to leave the horses in your house stable

Megatron

[/SPOILER]
About a certain house
I would love to have enough space to display every piece of weapon or armor you can get, it would be a nice post game addition and you should be able to leave the horses in your house stable

Yeah, even just being able to dump crap on the ground and leave it would be nice.

Final boss spoilers:

Thematically it's OK but mechanically it's a pretty simple fight. Definitely one of the weakest final bosses in the series IMO

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't farm arrows. Just, as long as you can hit the eye, the Blights get stunned. You only need 5-6 if you're a good shot to trivialize the fights.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah, even just being able to dump crap on the ground and leave it would be nice.
You just described my room in DXHR lol.

It was okay. It was kinda cool, but nowhere near as cool as the final bosses of older 3d Zelda games like TP or Skyward Sword. Best to go in without expecting much.

Crayolan

I didn't farm arrows. Just, as long as you can hit the eye, the Blights get stunned. You only need 5-6 if you're a good shot to trivialize the fights.

I assume you mean arrows knock down the bosses? Wasn't aware non-ancient arrows did that. If you just mean stun then you'd still have to waste a ton of arrows to do anything since
Windblight and Waterblight float in phase 2 and Fireblight moves away from the player in the air the more they fire arrows.
You wouldn't be able to capitalize on a stun for any of those situations unless the arrows also knock them onto the ground.

I assume you mean arrows knock down the bosses? Wasn't aware non-ancient arrows did that. If you just mean stun then you'd still have to waste a ton of arrows to do anything since
Windblight and Waterblight float in phase 2 and Fireblight moves away from the player in the air the more they fire arrows.
You wouldn't be able to capitalize on a stun for any of those situations unless the arrows also knock them onto the ground.
They get knocked to the ground, but it requires two arrows if I recall.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I assume you mean arrows knock down the bosses? Wasn't aware non-ancient arrows did that.

If you hit the eye perfectly, they do, yes. I'm not sure this is true of Thunderblight, because I deliberately challenged myself to do that one under certain restrictions, but it is true of the other three. I'm not some super whizz shot with the arrows, but even I on my first playthrough just found the Wind, Fire, and Water all rather too easy because of this - dodge a few attacks, shoot an arrow (or two or three if you missed, not many), spam strong weapon with impunity, rinse and repeat. Honestly, I love BotW and my post history should make that clear, but the bosses were super underwhelming.

Since you can fight them in any order and don't really gain many abilities past the Great Plateau anyway, they can't really be as unique or difficult as bosses in past Zelda games. Generally I liked not having a setup with "bomb dungeon with lots of bomb puzzles", but lacking the unique bosses kind of hurt. Just sitting back, staying alive, and shooting arrows went a lot farther than I expected it should.
Yeah this, alongside the lack of proper good ol dungeons, is probably my largest disappointment of the game. At least it had one proper Zelda boss -
the Yiga leader guy, Kohgga I think his name was, is very classic Zelda. And the most fun I've had with a boss in this game so far, tellingly, haha.

How do you guys play Zelda? Split controller, handheld mode, pro-controller or on the grip? I've been loving the split controller setup especially for archery. I love pointer controls and this is pretty close to that and makes archery so much better. I wonder if it uses the IR pointer in the back since it uses the right Joy-con whenever you have to aim.

My Switch arrived today, and I got to play Zelda for about two hours! I'll admit, I was pretty skeptical about the game when it was first showcased, mostly because I prefer my stories to be linear and this game is anything but. However, I have to say that I somehow fell in love with the non-linear set-up of this game. Getting dropped into what feels like nowhere and figuring out all these little creatures, weapons, mechanics, recipes, etc. on my own is a pretty exciting endeavour! I think what differentiates this game from other open-world games that I've played is that I'm not given a specific mission, and then told to go do that quest in an overwhelming large, and sometimes boring, world. Rather, this game feels like the world is mine to explore. Ya know?

Obviously there's still A LOT more for me to do - I've barely even touched the game. I've only done the magnet + bomb trials so far. Most of my time was spent exploring and whatnot.

But yeah, I'm starting to understand the hype. Now I gotta go power through an essay so I can get back to Hyrule asap.
Same here. I've had the Switch and Zelda since launch day but I was saving it form trip which I'm currently in right now. The world is basically your oyster. I've been playing for about 15 hours now and I'm only in the second 'area' where the dueling peaks are. It's an amazing game. I've spent so much time just discovering every nook and crannies. I stop at every interesting spot just to see what's up there and every time I discover something new, I jump for joy. I can't believe a videogame at my age is doing that again for me. What a delight and Nintendo's still got it after all these years.

Nictel

About a certain house

Yes me too
I have just one bow but my shields and weapons are full. Also I was surprised you couldn't stable your horse there since there is room for that.

Mcdohl

91 shrines, still missing Gerudo beast. I might get all shrines before getting da final beast.

Anyways,

I just saw the Switch presentation trailer again, and wow, even though I've played most of the game by now I still felt the HYPE.

It's become one of my favorite gaming trailers.

mlclmtckr

Banned
So now that I'm up to 90 shrines, all the 'low hanging fruit' type ones are done, and I'm finding I really have to search to find the remaining ones. Even with the sensor it can be tricky sometimes.

But what really pleasantly surprised me is the fact that a lot of the harder-to-find ones are super long and complex. I noticed someone a few pages so complaining that the more obvious shrines' puzzles (I think he had like 50 complete) were super easy and short.

I was feeling that way too, for a while, and I was pretty disappointed. But now I'm finding more and more huge multi-room ones.

Also, I finished the story last night, and
does the theme song for the outdoor section of the Ganon fight directly quote the Princess Mononoke main theme? Because I thought I noticed that at the time.

Overall it really is an incredible game and probably the GOAT Zelda. After such a long rut I'm glad the series is finally grown up.

Also, if you want to care about the story, I really recommend getting every memory and also reading every book you can find. Most of the storytelling happens through those two things.

91 shrines, still missing Gerudo beast. I might get all shrines before getting da final beast.

Anyways,

I just saw the Switch presentation trailer again, and wow, even though I've played most of the game by now I still felt the HYPE.

It's become one of my favorite gaming trailers.
It's a little odd because now that I've spent a ton of hours around the areas from the trailer it adds another layer to it (at least for me.) So good. So hype.

So I finally decided to beat the game and...
[End Game Spoilers]
Ganon was kinda a letdown since I was all upgraded and prepared. Also the ending is leading to the DLC or a sequel? Strange ending for a Zelda game.

kunonabi

[End Game Spoilers]
Ganon was kinda a letdown since I was all upgraded and prepared. Also the ending is leading to the DLC or a sequel? Strange ending for a Zelda game.

It's flat and uneventful so it's pretty fitting for botw.

Almost done with starbit farming. I just need to finish the OoT set.

Brizzo24

After finishing up two
divine beasts, and subsequently receiving the powers that appear on your HUD
I thought things got way too congested on my HUD so I switched over to Pro 24/7. Only thing that sucks is a lack of temperature gauge. But even in Pro HUD mode the stamina wheel and horse whip are way too distracting. If Nintendo releases another patch, I hope they do something like this:

HmZBmiE.png

Place the Stamina Wheel in the Top Left corner

When on the Horse, put the spurs on the bottom left.

[End Game Spoilers]

The True ending played out like typical Zelda games

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
After finishing up two
divine beasts, and subsequently receiving the powers that appear on your HUD
I thought things got way too congested on my HUD so I switched over to Pro 24/7. Only thing that sucks is a lack of temperature gauge. But even in Pro HUD mode the stamina wheel and horse whip are way too distracting. If Nintendo releases another patch, I hope they do something like this:

HmZBmiE.png

Place the Stamina Wheel in the Top Left corner

When on the Horse, put the spurs on the bottom left.

I'd like something even simplier. Change the stamina wheel into a bar. Turn the spurs into a smaller icon.

Top Bottom