• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Caelus

Hearts in pro mode should be contextual imo, if you don't have a weapon drawn they should fade out so regular exploration is HUD free.

NPCs will also sometimes tell you stories about landmarks. Like what happened at this battlefield, or how the Dueling Peaks got split in half.

The True ending played out like typical Zelda games

I guess, it was more like
Wind Wakers ending but that one had more finality to it
. But they set up
a problem or something happening at Zora's Domain which was just odd if there is no follow up unless Link and Zelda are just gonna go around Hyrule fixing stuff.

I tried exploring the Hebra region while listening to some Wintersun and Amon Amarth. It was just as badass as I imagined it, would recommend.

Dremorak

Banned
I guess, it was more like
Wind Wakers ending but that one had more finality to it
. But they set up
a problem or something happening at Zora's Domain which was just odd if there is no follow up unless Link and Zelda are just gonna go around Hyrule fixing stuff.

I think the implication was
life goes on

Dalek

I don't remember what the reward was
(I think just rupees?)
, but I do remember thinking "It's a good thing I enjoyed doing this".

So, if you mean the tangible reward, probably not.

Ok thanks. I suspected as much. At this point I'm just grinding to upgrade armor, do the last Divine Beast and then finish up. I don't think I have it in me to find all the shrines.

Seriously.

Death Mountain is the best area in the game.

- The scale of the region is mind-blowing

- The
mining areas with all the Goron miners
is cool

- Lots of ore to discover

- You can
cook your food on the freakin’ ground!

- Goron City is the best city/village in the game(Lurelin Village is a close second). The locales, the music, the atmosphere, etc…

-
Mine carts!!!

- The main theme that plays while traversing the region. A nice nod to the
Level 9 theme from the very first game.
I love it!

I agree. One of the highlights in this game for me was my first reconnaissance round about the volcano, just climbing every peak, gliding down, mining ore... such simple thing to do and still I loved it.

Wagram

Finished it. I'll write up some thoughts in a bit. I liked it quite a bit, but didn't absolutely love it. Lot of things that can be improved to make an even better game.

I feel so stupid. I ran up the volcano with 6 bottles of this anti-fire-elixir and had a pretty rough time. I also only realized at the top that I had to shoot the titan three times with a cannon.. (which I did not obviously)

I said "fuck it", used an older save and went completely down the mountain to buy a fire protection suit. Much easier now.. :|

Red

Hearts in pro mode should be contextual imo, if you don't have a weapon drawn they should fade out so regular exploration is HUD free.
Yeah if they must keep hearts, I would prefer they be contextual. The stamina gauge already is. I would really prefer they not exist and that health be represented some other way, like color of light on the sheikah slate. Stamina too. Stamina exertion is already represented through animation by beads of sweat. Why not represent when Link is close to failure by slowing down the animation and making it clear he is struggling?

DonShula

Don't think that would fly. If you put your weapon away with two hearts remaining and then run around for ten minutes before encountering another enemy, you'll have forgotten the health situation. Setting the player up for cheap death like that isn't something Nintendo usually does.

bumpkin

Question... If my Hylian Shield breaks, is it possible to get a new one? If so, where/how?

I was fighting Ganon yesterday and it broke during the first phase of the fight. Thankfully I had another shield in my inventory, but heck if it wasn't a killjoy.

zigg

Question... If my Hylian Shield breaks, is it possible to get a new one? If so, where/how?

I was fighting Ganon yesterday and it broke during the first phase of the fight. Thankfully I had another shield in my inventory, but heck if it wasn't a killjoy.
A dude in Tarrey Town will sell you one for 3k, is my understanding

I just realized that Robbie and Jerrin's son is
the second floor merchant chilling at Tarry Town.
I feel like I should've realized this earlier due to the clothes.

A dude in Tarrey Town will sell you one for 3k, is my understanding

This is correct.
That dude in Tarrey Town
is pretty much there to sell you stuff that you could otherwise lose for good.

EDIT: Accidentally used quote tags instead of spoilers. Sorry about that.

Caelus

Don't think that would fly. If you put your weapon away with two hearts remaining and then run around for ten minutes before encountering another enemy, you'll have forgotten the health situation. Setting the player up for cheap death like that isn't something Nintendo usually does.

I would have it so that Z-targeting an enemy also displays hearts. In addition, the pause menu always displays hearts and stamina - the frequency of weapon and armor changes would assure the player is kept up to speed at some point.

But yeah, there's always a balance to be struck. I think having player control over individual HUD elements would be best. I do enjoy how minimalist it is compared to SS, for instance. The hearts are also a cool throwback to Zelda 1.

Can we talk about how bad the targeting system is? I was fighting a Lynel
in one of the Hyrule Castle gatehouses
and one of those red mouth spawners were constantly dropping floating skulls into the arena.

I tried desperately switching to the Lynel, but the game constantly wanted me to target the skulls on the other side of the room. Just add a cycle button!

kunonabi

and one of those red mouth spawners were constantly dropping floating skulls into the arena.

I tried desperately switching to the Lynel, but the game constantly wanted me to target the skulls on the other side of the room. Just add a cycle button!

Yeah, this is easily the worst z-targeting has ever been. Camera in general is bad for combat.

Red

I haven't really come to grips with the new targeting system. It sometimes refuses to lock on even at close range. I don't know what causes it to be so finicky. It seems to want really specific conditions before it will lock. Height variations throw it off. Minor obstructions throw it off. I end up just not using it much of the time.

atr0cious

Yeah, this is easily the worst z-targeting has ever been. Camera in general is bad for combat.
Seriously, if folks want to talk about what's wrong with the game, this and the inventory (shield/bow) are the worst. The z camera is trash, like seriously, it's worse than sm64 at points. Why is the z-camera allowed to get behind the lynel and block link? I get they're going for a cinematic feel, but you have to claw or you can't even dodge sometimes.

Regginator

The True ending played out like typical Zelda games

Absolutely not. The extended ending when you find all the memories is
literally a minute long. It's just Zelda talking to Link while they're on their way to Vah Ruto, which seems to have some mechanical issues, most likely setting up future DLC
. And that's it. No lengthy cutscene so you can sit back and enjoy the ride, no emotional pay-off, nothing. Just one little scene. Compare that with, for example, the ending to Ocarina of Time, and it's night and day. BOTW is the first Zelda in which the ending did nothing to me.

Making sure I cover every square inch of Hyrule castle before heading up to Ganon. Really love how it was constructed and makes me wish there were more interior environments in the game like it.

Shambala

I simply can't see how this game got so much praise. It's horribly cheap and drawn out at times. I have to agree with jims review. This is an ok game at best

Crayolan

Seriously, if folks want to talk about what's wrong with the game, this and the inventory (shield/bow) are the worst. The z camera is trash, like seriously, it's worse than sm64 at points. Why is the z-camera allowed to get behind the lynel and block link? I get they're going for a cinematic feel, but you have to claw or you can't even dodge sometimes.

Ehh, I never had the problems people have been talking about with locking on except when an enemy is above you, which only really came into play vs
Thunderblight
and flying guardians. But since you don't need to be locked on to parry/flurry rush it never really mattered to me.

The only time I had a problem with the camera was vs. Stone Talus where it gets stuck on the Talus body and if you try to circle around you can't see shit.

The real problem with the combat though is crouch being on L3. I died a lot due to accidentally crouching in the middle of a fight and not being able to pull up my shield because of it. They should have at least let you shield while crouching.

Making sure I cover every square inch of Hyrule castle before heading up to Ganon. Really love how it was constructed and makes me wish there were more interior environments in the game like it.

Was reluctant top enter it at first, but it is something else. So well-made, and with tonnes of great weapons. Will definitely farm there from now on.

Dr.Hadji

I simply can't see how this game got so much praise. It's horribly cheap and drawn out at times. I have to agree with jims review. This is an ok game at best

If you want to see why this game got the praise it has gotten, you can simply take the testimonial of the various people who have played the game at their word. It's not that hard. Their opinion doesn't invalidate yours.

And again, Jim said the game was "good". So no, he doesn't agree with your assessment.

Really don't link the navigation system in this game. Finding some shrines is a major choir. Just listening for a beep. I wish they had a counter or something to let you know you were in the right track or even an arrow pointer.

There are visual cues and a logic to the world design to look out for. You should be paying attention to those things first and foremost. The Shrine Sensor should alert you that something nearby is worth investigating.

Finally finished after 180 hours. Absolutely loved it and surprised any single player game could keep me engaged at this deep of a level for that long. Can't wait for the dlc and what they make next.

Now to continue to search for the shrines I haven't found yet and side quests I never encountered... And to explore randomly which I love doing in this game,

I'm finally at 400 Korok seeds and I'm starting to wonder how much more I can find before I turn to a guide. Though in my search I've found more overworld bosses that I missed.

Heysoos

Beat the game, found all the memories, found all shrines. Loved every second but now I don't know what to do with my Switch.

Top Bottom