• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the easiest Lynel to try and take down? There is a side quest in
korok forest
that needs something from one. I lucked out and took down the one with the shock arrows as I didn't realise I didn't have to - is that probably the weakest?

(I have the item needed for that side quest but my son doesn't)

random25

korok forest
that needs something from one. I lucked out and took down the one with the shock arrows as I didn't realise I didn't have to - is that probably the weakest?

A red one that carries a sword is the easiest to kill. The one on top of a mountain in Zora's Domain should probably fit the description.

Speely

Banned
They all get replaced with a Silver one once you beat them and trigger a Blood Moon, right?

Not the one on the Zora mountain, iirc. I remember that one being static.

Edit: when trying to remember the name of the mountain, all I could think of was "Polygamous" Mountain. I am a dysfunctional idiot.

takriel

So what's everyone's favorite theme so far in the game?
Main Theme
Shiekah Tower
Attack on Vah Ruta
Dark Beast Ganon Phase 1
Hyrule Castle
Korok Forest
Rito Village Theme

Nothing beats the Switch Presentation Trailer Theme though. That is just perfected epicness.

jariw

What's are some ways to get rupees early game?

Just got to the opening of the 4 guardians section and want to do some prep before going ahead.

Selling ore is one way, but cooking food and potions are quicker alternatives.

Gerudo Town's theme at night is so good. I spend most of my time in that town in the evening just to hear it.

I heard it yesterday for the first time, when it slowed down for the night. Really good version of the theme!

Gerudo, Korok Forest, Rito, Lurelin, Hateno, Hyrule Castle are my current favorite themes among the location themes. (Haven't met Ganon yet.)

And I absolutely love how the
Tarrey Town
music builds up with the quest.

In the ambient music category, I really like Hebra mountains.

Over 45hrs in, still have entered a dungeon and revealed the other half of the map. I'm just having a ball doing side quests, shrines and exploring. This game is absolutely massive.

wait... there is a
wolf?
I... I never noticed that x_x

Mostly because I did that section at my first try (always hiding behind trees, using Sheika armor and letting him go a good distance away from me... to not lose sight of him in the grass I used a rune (Cryonis) since the grid overlay covers everything except him making very easy to know where he is and what direction he is looking at every moment.

I enjoyed it quite a lot because he was so cute kawaii desu-ne!!!!1!!!

The second part can be hard but I moved horizontally from the Korok in that part instead of following him directly, which works great. Also, h
iding inside the tree mouths
works well.

CassSept

Main Theme
Shiekah Tower
Attack on Vah Ruta
Dark Beast Ganon Phase 1
Hyrule Castle
Korok Forest
Rito Village Theme

Nothing beats the Switch Presentation Trailer Theme though. That is just perfected epicness.

This guy knows what's up.

That frantic piano on Dark Beast Ganon P1 theme just does it for me, even if the fight is terribly underwhelming

Also, Korok Forest generally is the most Zelda location in the entire game, while the rest of the game went in many different directions Korok Forest would feel at home in any of the past entries,.

Ninja Dom

The Lynel with the Savage Lynel Crusher are just way too hard. One hit with that thing takes out all my hearts!

korok forest

The easiest way to take down a Lynel is to use a one handed sword and a good shield. Don't use two handed swords as you need to be quick with your shield for attacks when it charges at you. The shield greatly limits the damage the Lynel does to you.

Also if you damage a Lynel enough that it's dazed, run up to it and you should get the "Mount" command. Mount it's back and unleash extra hits on it.

SomTervo

Seriously.

Death Mountain is the best area in the game.

- The scale of the region is mind-blowing

- The
mining areas with all the Goron miners
is cool

- Lots of ore to discover

- You can
cook your food on the freakin' ground!

- Goron City is the best city/village in the game(Lurelin Village is a close second). The locales, the music, the atmosphere, etc...

-
Mine carts!!!

- The main theme that plays while traversing the region. A nice nod to the
Level 9 theme from the very first game.
I love it!

Didn't read your spoiler tags - but yes, I'm just getting around to Death Mountain after finishing all the other bosses and... Wow. Yep, one of those moments like E
ventide
I
sland
or the L
ost
W
oods
when suddenly it feels like another entire game has begun.

100 shrines, all divine beasts, and a lot of korok seeds. I guess I'll...fight Ganon tomorrow?

I never want this to end, this sucks :(

Honestly think I might start practicing speed runs when all is said and done, because I don't see myself quitting this game anytime soon. Too fucking good

GRW810

Got really lucky with the infamous
Blood Moon
shrine. After two near misses previously when my fast-travelling and mad dashing were to no avail, just now I happened to be nearby as
the sky turned red. Hurried over, stripped down, stood on the pedestal and got one the game's most potentially frustrating tasks out of the way.

Also found one of the most visually-difficult memories - the one
near the bottomless swamp.
Reached Wetland Stable for the first time and Pikango pointed me in the right direction. I have definitely walked straight past it once or twice recently.

Just three memories left. I know where one is and I'm pretty sure about the other two. It's just a case of getting round to visiting them.

Sh0k

I already finished the game last week but I keep coming back to finish the rest of the side quests and finding all the shrines. Yesterday found one side quest and on my way to finish the side quest I found one more shrine, so I have one more regular shrine to go and 4 quest shrines. I don't think I will go and find all the korok seeds, but at least I want to find enough to max out my weapons and shields inventory. Anybody knows how many korok seeds you need in order to max out your inventory slots?

It's weird, I've been playing it at home, but almost purely in handheld. I guess it's just the fact, that you don't even have to change inputs, and also obviously family. But it's extra pick up and play, since you that extra lag of even having to bother to awake the PS4 from sleep mode, which is not long, and having to fire up the tv or change the inputs. It looks better on the TV, but still just play it on the handheld. But it's great to have the option to play it on the TV when I want.

Sorry this is the first time I am playing a Zelda game instead of watching friends play it, so I'm a bit bad. But I do think this game is just amazing. I've never actually been a fan of open world games, but this game is fun to travel around in and is pretty packed.

I've lit the blue flame at the ancient tech place, the tower like place, and the objective is to go to the director to repair the sheikah plate. But the glowing dot is right where the ancient tech place where you light the blue flame. Where is this director? I can't seem to find it.

Drewfonse

I just beat my first DB, and as soon as I did, the quest markers for the other ones went away. And when I check my main quests, that main quest line is nowhere to be seen. In fact, I have no main quests open to me. I went to Zora town and collected my reward, so I think I've completed this quest. It says complete, but nothing else opened up. Any advice?

Anteo

It's weird, I've been playing it at home, but almost purely in handheld. I guess it's just the fact, that you don't even have to change inputs, and also obviously family. But it's extra pick up and play, since you that extra lag of even having to bother to awake the PS4 from sleep mode, which is not long, and having to fire up the tv or change the inputs. It looks better on the TV, but still just play it on the handheld. But it's great to have the option to play it on the TV when I want.

Sorry this is the first time I am playing a Zelda game instead of watching friends play it, so I'm a bit bad. But I do think this game is just amazing. I've never actually been a fan of open world games, but this game is fun to travel around in and is pretty packed.

I've lit the blue flame at the ancient tech place, the tower like place, and the objective is to go to the director to repair the sheikah plate. But the glowing dot is right where the ancient tech place where you light the blue flame. Where is this director? I can't seem to find it.

I believe you alredy got to the person that upgrades the slate and they told you they need the blue flame on their engine to proceed.

Mistle

This guy knows what's up.

That frantic piano on Dark Beast Ganon P1 theme just does it for me, even if the fight is terribly underwhelming.
f*** yeah. that piano just has a mind of it's own, it doesn't care at all for what the main melody is trying to do. two opposing forces.
i agree the fight was underwhelming but the music totally had me pumped still. and when it does the OoT Ganon intro for a split second? nice

Love the game. Only wish the story were a bit better, less formulaic.. and the voice-acting is pretty bad (why no japanese voiceover option? Space-constraints I guess). Other than that this is my favourite zelda-game so far. Im not even close to finished with the main quest though.

ReBirFh

Got really lucky with the infamous
Blood Moon
shrine. After two near misses previously when my fast-travelling and mad dashing were to no avail, just now I happened to be nearby as
the sky turned red. Hurried over, stripped down, stood on the pedestal and got one the game's most potentially frustrating tasks out of the way.

Also found one of the most visually-difficult memories - the one
near the bottomless swamp.
Reached Wetland Stable for the first time and Pikango pointed me in the right direction. I have definitely walked straight past it once or twice recently.

Just three memories left. I know where one is and I'm pretty sure about the other two. It's just a case of getting round to visiting them.
The game autosaves frequently, it is much easier to rollback 5 min wherever you are and warp to activate the shrine. I really don't get the struggle people are having with it
I'm missing two memories, one I'm almost sure is in the castle as there are very few similar structures, the other one is the one with a view to
Lanayru
mountain but I don't remember seeing that structure and I still need to go bach there and look more carefuly.

Ossom

I just beat my first DB, and as soon as I did, the quest markers for the other ones went away. And when I check my main quests, that main quest line is nowhere to be seen. In fact, I have no main quests open to me. I went to Zora town and collected my reward, so I think I've completed this quest. It says complete, but nothing else opened up. Any advice?

Not sure whether it creates a separate main quest once you trigger the relevant conversation in each area, but if so, you should just have to go back into the quest menu and reselect the general quest for the DBs. I remember having to do that.

Are you in the right quest menu? Also, it seems to auto scroll to the bottom of the quest menu sometimes and you have to go back to the top to see the active quests.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Went in with the blue tunic, a circlet, and a two-handed claymore sword. Never found out where to get decent armor that's used for combat at the time

Is the circlet worth it? You can't wear it at the same time as an armour headpiece so I thought the lack of set bonus would make it less useful?

I believe you alredy got to the person that upgrades the slate and they told you they need the blue flame on their engine to proceed.

Thank you very much sir, that makes sense as that is what the map says. Saved me a lot of time. Thought I had lit the engine but I think that was something else.

I'd meaning to get a pro, but when playing docked I love the joy cons. Two handed gaming is just so comfortable.

Mistle

While making my avatar I also made this one. It's free for the taking if anyone wants it! (i didn't do the pixel art, abysswolf did, i just resized for gaf)

wDzndEr.png

Heero5

Is the circlet worth it? You can't wear it at the same time as an armour headpiece so I thought the lack of set bonus would make it less useful?
The Diamond Circlet is tied for the highest defense (along with the Knight's Helmet and the
Cap of the Wild
) however the Circlet also grants low level guardian resistance.

So what's everyone's favorite theme so far in the game?

I do love when the subtle main theme kicks in when riding your horse at night. Also, Hateno Village is great. I love the music when you're outside a completed shrine. I love the little musical flourishes, that have an Arabian kind of style to theme, when you're around the southwest of the map. Rito Village is top notch.

I see this soundtrack getting a lot of flack - but it's one of my favorites in recent memory.

jariw

Scroll upwards in that menu. When a quest is completed, it is moved to below all active ones. Since the completed quest is still selected, it might look like no quests are available.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat all 120 shrines yesterday.

Feel a bit stupid. For some reason I thought
the orb in Kakriko Village would be the 120th so I never thought of tackling it before I did the other 119 simply because they made it sound like you had to prove your worth first. It was only upon returning and seeing nothing changed that I realised that I needed to do something else to unlock it (turns out I missed the firefly quest) and
I could have beaten that shrine ages ago.
Well at least kicking the arse of another annoying Yuga brute was a good way to finish things off.

The 119th took me ages to find. It was
the Goron Brothers in the Gerudo Highlands. I thought I already been through that part, multiple times, but obviously bypassed that tiny sliver of cliff and missed them.
Because it was a shrine quest it never set my sensor off. I'm guessing I missed a bit of text hinting towards it being there.
Likely because I had already done their other challenge ages ago so hadn't really thought about them for ages so didn't check their house or talk to them at Death Mountain.

Liking the tunic design.

First post in the OT since after almost 200 hours I feel it's finally safe to read things about this game.

Okay, someone please give me the cheese solution for the shrine beside Woodland Stable. Particularly the puzzle at the very end that you have to solve to get the final chest. I've broken hammers and reloaded saves for about an hour now and I'm getting very frustrated.

Or at least a tip. It's beginning to seem impossible.

100 shrines, all divine beasts, and a lot of korok seeds. I guess I'll...fight Ganon tomorrow?

It doesn't have to be over, you still have 20 shrines to go. And once you beast Ganon you'll be able to see completion percentages, so you can aim for all sidequests too.

Honestly think I might start practicing speed runs when all is said and done, because I don't see myself quitting this game anytime soon. Too fucking good

You know it man. I can't muster any enthusiasm for anything else.

Well, besides Hollow Knight, I might give that a spin.

maxcriden

The easiest way to take down a Lynel is to use a one handed sword and a good shield. Don't use two handed swords as you need to be quick with your shield for attacks when it charges at you. The shield greatly limits the damage the Lynel does to you.

Also if you damage a Lynel enough that it's dazed, run up to it and you should get the "Mount" command. Mount it's back and unleash extra hits on it.

Great tips here, thank you. I need to improve my parrying skills. I think I'll go back into the shrine in
Kakariko
that teaches you how. I didn't realize you could daze the Lynel to mount it. Ever since Skittzo0413 mentioned you can mount them we've been having them activate their fire breath, using the burning grass gust of wind, and (occasionally successfully) landing on them to directly mount the Lynel.

maxcriden

I already finished the game last week but I keep coming back to finish the rest of the side quests and finding all the shrines. Yesterday found one side quest and on my way to finish the side quest I found one more shrine, so I have one more regular shrine to go and 4 quest shrines. I don't think I will go and find all the korok seeds, but at least I want to find enough to max out my weapons and shields inventory. Anybody knows how many korok seeds you need in order to max out your inventory slots?

I think it's about 450.

Red

My sister-in-law babysat for us the other night, and saw my inventory screen as I saved the game before handing the screen over to her. She's been playing a lot herself, and mentioned I had a crazy amount of gemstones. I have around 10 diamonds and 150+ of some of the others. I did not think this was exceptional... there are deposits all over the map and Talus minibosses are piñatas of ore. She has played more of the story than I have and has a better idea of what is needed for upgrading equipment. She recommended I sell some of what I've collected. I wonder how much I could make if I sold off 100 each of the various kinds of stones. I don't even know how much they sell for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Probably because it got the Diamond Circlet way before having the ability to buy other jewelry.

Hmm. Now I'm curious if I can find it out in the wild rather than spend precious diamonds and rupees on one

Top Bottom