• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

3 divine beasts down and I just took out a Guardian Scout IV in a Major test shrine and a Black Hinox in the wild. The way they've managed to implement a serious progression system into this without experience points, level ups and stats is amazing.

This is similar to Monster Hunter. Taking down progressively stronger monsters nets you materials for better weapons and armor, but you'll have to bring/craft your own healing items and buffs. I still have one shrine left to go, but I feel like I could probably take on Gannon now. I still want to do the shrine because I want to complete the story as well.

Burny

3 divine beasts down and I just took out a Guardian Scout IV in a Major test shrine and a Black Hinox in the wild. The way they've managed to implement a serious progression system into this without experience points, level ups and stats is amazing.

There are stats, but except for hearts and stamina, they're not character based. Armor has stats, but you can only upgrade it gradually, as you continue to play the game. And weapons have stats, but due to breaking after a couple of uses, you can't entirely break the game progression when getting a really strong one early.

Then there's of course enemy scaling to accommodate that you'll sport better equipment later on. Which will in turn also provide you with better weaponry taken from the enemies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Started a new Game on another profile and noticed that all of the Kakariko Village Goddess Deity Statues are still
Yiga Clan Frog
statues. I still had to use
apples instead of Bananas
to solve the Korok seed. It was just off-putting.

Has anyone found a way to revert them, or are they supposed to be that way?

Wait - does this mean that the
yoga clan hideout
korok seed
uses bananas? There are some statues with bowls up on a cliff on the approach
if so I need to go back there

rhandino

Banned
stalnox

I think those exists outside but only appear at night... I found the first one after I was 100 hours into the game x_x

I think the only unique enemie in Hyrule Castle are the Guardian turrets or at least I have not seen them in the outside world... they shoould have make some Iron Knuckles Guardians tbh

kunonabi

Hyrule castle was such a letdown. I honestly don't see how anyone can argue greatest dungeon ever with a straight face.

Caelus

Hyrule castle was such a letdown. I honestly don't see how anyone can argue greatest dungeon ever with a straight face.

It's the greatest dungeon ever.

It helps that it's in a game where the main character can climb anything, dash and paraglide. Had a similar dungeon been in a previous 3D Zelda it would've suffered due to lack of traversal options. But I loved the dungeon-crawling experience

Finished the game at 160hr with 46.7% complete
Only 101 shrines and 270 seeds
One of the best game this gen
My game of this gen so far
BOTW
DKCTF
BloodBorne
Undertale

BTW that hyrule castle is definitely the best design dungeon in any game, no contest
Hell yeah, def. It's my favorite dungeon in a loooooong time. It's great to see how people are having different experiences with it. Not everyone takes the same path. Some people actually go in early in the game, some others save it for last. Some people even go back after they beat the game. Plus the MUSIC (changes depending if you're inside or outside a room.) Just great design all around.

I think those exists outside but only appear at night... I found the first one after I was 100 hours into the game x_x

I think the only unique enemie in Hyrule Castle are the Guardian turrets or at least I have not seen them in the outside world... they shoould have make some Iron Knuckles Guardians tbh

I hope with the dlc there is an incarnation of the Iron Knuckles enemy.

Ogodei

Damn today was productive. I went EVERYWHERE foresty looking for that last photo memory. Found it in the end but only after clearing a couple of extra quests and finding like 5 shrines I didn't know existed, and two more stables. Unbelievable. <3

Found the last memory too. That was easy.

Now I just need to clear a few more quests (I say this every week!) and then it's Ganon time! :D

I was going to do the same thing (comb every single forest in
Hyrule Field), but then the painter-guy at Wetland Stable told me specifically which wood it was in.
It's definitely the only one you can't solve from landmark context or process of elimination.

kunonabi

It helps that it's in a game where the main character can climb anything, dash and paraglide. Had a similar dungeon been in a previous 3D Zelda it would've suffered due to lack of traversal options. But I loved the dungeon-crawling experience

Yet it barely matters when there is nothing to do in there aside from killing the same enemies and hunting more korok seeds. Aside from the koroks and a couple other things you can find everything of value in one super simple, linear path that also takes you to Ganon with almost no effort. Its a complete joke.

What unique enemies are in Hyrule Castle?

Guardian Turrets

Yet it barely matters when there is nothing to do in there aside from killing the same enemies and hunting more korok seeds. Aside from the koroks and a couple other things you can find everything of value in one super simple, linear path that also takes you to Ganon with almost no effort. Its a complete joke.

to find "everything" you need to take at least three different "paths."

jariw

Hyrule castle is linear, but it isn't one path.

RRockman

Banned
But that would imply Beamos was made by the Sheikah which would be totally screwy.

True, but I was thinking they'd be built by the Yiga or be made from him like the other monsters. It's funny that we have a zelda that puts a huge lense on ancient tech but the one enemy that has long been the one of the few pieces of proof of high level technology even existing in these games is absent.

GenG3000

The castle is intended as a high risk high reward scavenge point. It is to be accessed several times during the course of the game, following a different route each, exemplifying the open nature of the game. Throw in the maze-like structure full of secrets, the atmosphere, music and subtle lore and it easily becomes the best area in any Zelda.

It is basically a Souls area in Zelda, a world of its own inside the game.

Point is: don't leave it for the end just because it happens that the final boss is there.

Felensis

Banned
Some 100 hours later since launch and I've finally beaten Ganon! What an outstanding, brilliant ride it was this far! 24.06% completion lol. Now I'm aiming for the rest of the shrines and sidequests, extras, eastereggs, secrets etc. What a gem this masterpiece is! Rarely that I play a game that long and even then can't get enough of it! Might do a small break with my other Switch games, but Zelda will be played regularly.

Caelus

Nope. There are multiple paths to find "everything". I haven't even found the shrine in the castle even though I've been to the lockup, library, dining hall, etc. Just because I know how to get to the boss easily through a series of waterfalls doesn't mean I lose any inclination to explore the rest of the castle.

I notice that people treat korok seeds as ends in themselves - I always get excited when I get one since it means another slot in my inventory. Once I've maxed out my inventory I have no desire to collect anymore, but I'm fine with that.

From my own subjective viewpoint (which I shouldn't have to say). It was one of the best dungeon-crawling experiences I've had in a Zelda game. Maybe I have bad taste, whatever.

Mega

Banned

I can't really agree with this (the bolded). Besides the multiple tiers and different approaches due to swimming, climbing and gliding, there isn't much complexity to it.

Some past Zelda dungeons are brilliantly, tightly designed with their own dungeon theme, local enemies that complement the environment and atmosphere, layout and progression dependent on unique concepts and mechanics that work together to make the entire thing feel like a giant puzzle.

I like this Hyrule Castle but it's still just a half destroyed palace with mostly the same enemies found elsewhere and ordinary rooms and hallways where there's hardly anything to do besides kill a monster or collect an item. Its biggest plus is surveying a space to see exits and openings to another area, but that's quick/simple and nothing like solving actual environmental puzzles. It's not a Zelda dungeon. It's Legend of Zelda: Urban Explorer.

Timeaisis

I don't know about all that, but it sure was a good dungeon. The idea of Hyrule Castle was fantastic, they just executed in such a way that you could skip 90% of it with no penalty. Which, I guess was kind of the point? But still...

In the future, I definitely want them to go the Hyrule Castle approach with dungeons, but integrate some linearity in there a la classic Zelda. Puzzle rooms and all that. The MGSV "infiltrate from anywhere" technique was awesome, though.

maxcriden

My sister-in-law babysat for us the other night, and saw my inventory screen as I saved the game before handing the screen over to her. She's been playing a lot herself, and mentioned I had a crazy amount of gemstones. I have around 10 diamonds and 150+ of some of the others. I did not think this was exceptional... there are deposits all over the map and Talus minibosses are piñatas of ore. She has played more of the story than I have and has a better idea of what is needed for upgrading equipment. She recommended I sell some of what I've collected. I wonder how much I could make if I sold off 100 each of the various kinds of stones. I don't even know how much they sell for.

Amber 30
Opal 60
Luminous Stone 70
Topaz 180
Ruby 210
Sapphire 260
Diamond 500

You can get more though from
the Gerudu in Goron City but she switches what she wants and only takes 10 at a time

Hi Red, just a couple tips I wanted to mention in addition to what Fuzzy told you.

Regarding the Gerudo (mild spoilers)
in Goron City, it appeared for us she did not show up in the City until we completed the Divine Beast in that area. I'm not sure if she was there and we just didn't notice or if beating the Divine Beast triggered her appearance. She gives you a decent sum of rupees above what you would normally get. For example, for 10 diamonds you get an extra 500 rupees.

With that said, your 150+ allotments of some of these gems as you can see from the price list are going to give you an immense amount of rupees. One additional tip about her, once she asks for a kind of gem she wants it appears she won't change her mind until you sell that type to her. I read somewhere that if you sell her an item, make a save before you talk to her again so you can reload the save repeatedly until she offers to buy the kind of gem you next want her to buy. Unfortunately we learned this *after* she asked for ten more diamonds after it took us forever to get her the first ten diamonds.

Additionally, I don't know if like us you were using bombs exclusively on ore, but a poster in here recently kindly mentioned you can use some types of weapons on ore as well. The benefit to this which we didn't immediately realize is that the ore will not going flying as it does with bombs. So if you use this method on cliffside ore, you will have a higher likelihood of being able to retrieve its contents.

Also, (mild enemy type spoilers)
as you become stronger in the game, you will meet silver Bokos. These fellows drop rare ore, and are often easier to come across than rare ore deposits.

BTW, you will definitely want to hold on to at least one spare diamond for a specific purpose. (moderate spoilers)
There is a weapon in the game that you can repair when fully broken, using multiple materials including a single diamond.

Edit: and judging by some posts on the previous page, there will potentially be another reason for you to hold onto diamonds besides this. So I wouldn't sell any of your diamonds yet until you know you do or don't want them for this purpose (unsure how many diamonds you will need for both these things, but since you can get a lot of rupees with your existing gems I would just hold on to them for now).

I notice that people treat korok seeds as ends in themselves - I always get excited when I get one since it means another slot in my inventory. Once I've maxed out my inventory I have no desire to collect anymore, but I'm fine with that. .
17191727_10209859889752194_6786960503239206859_o.jpg

I completely agree. Well, not only the inventory slot part. I honestly often forget about that, but it is a huge boon. I just like getting Korok seeds. The "Yahaha!" fills me with delight. It can be a bit frustrating when you scour a new area, big or small, and come across surprisingly few or none at all. For example, the B
ottomless
S
wamp
in Hyrule Field is a unique-looking locale in the game. It reminds me of
prehistoric tar pits.
We searched this area high and low to no avail so we looked up to see where the Korok seed was because surely with 900 in the game this unique location would have one. Well, per the interactive map on ZeldaDungeon.net, this area has no Korok seeds. So that was a bit of a bummer. But regardless, it's a real treat to come across them.

Not sure if already posted but what in the actual fuck

(Spoiler-ish of the Rito beast, but not really)
Well not too surprising given
how the great plateau has a void plane which if you managed to get past (can be done with stasis boost off a metal door) there is a kill plane in the surrounding region of hyrule. "Sure you can sequence break...but not like this..."

pbsapeer

Banned
Bought on Wii u and haven't opened it yet. Just bought the LE on switch and don't even have one yet. Need to save another £100 and I can buy the console. So hyped but only willing to play on switch. &#128516;

Also, finding Korok seeds under rocks is scientifically proven to help reduce stress,
but only when you drop the rock on their heads afterwards.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the most hearty meal it's possible to make, and is there a limit on how many hearts you can have in total?

My son tried
5x durian fruit
which gives Full recovery + 20 hearts. Can't imagine you can get much better than that. If you have 25 hearts would that give you 45, or is there a cap?

maxcriden

Z Target, hit once with sword, then give times with hammer.

Thanks! I'll give this a try right away.

Most of my launches were hitting the target, but had just the slightest bit too much power so they'd hit the rim and keep flying.

Agree with this. Some of the coolest parts of the whole game were discovering these for the first time.

Move the ball back before you hit it. You don't need to launch it from the platform it orig ally drops onto.

Thanks for the tips on this, atr0cious and pwack. GiantBreadbug, I'm looking forward to hearing if you were able to get that chest. I had a similar experience with trying to get it and had given up for now, but now that I'm reading these hints I want to try again.

Taking a peek of the korok puzzles and I would've never guessed done of them were puzzles. There's no way anyone could've gotten all of these without a guide.

This was our experience also. I mean, I'm sure people can, but some of them are so subtle I wouldn't have ever thought they were puzzles.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So the still very early in the game but I read the total number of shrines in the game is
and upgrade every 4 orbs so total number of upgrades is

Is that right?

maxcriden

So the still very early in the game but I read the total number of shrines in the game is
and upgrade every 4 orbs so total number of upgrades is

Is that right?

Yes, that's right. But, you can also get additional heart containers by (mild spoilers)
beating the main bosses.

Also, regarding what you choose to spend your orbs on, (mild vague spoilers)
the game has a mechanic that lets you change your mind about what you previously cashed in your orbs for.

Anteo

What's the most hearty meal it's possible to make, and is there a limit on how many hearts you can have in total?

My son tried
5x durian fruit
which gives Full recovery + 20 hearts. Can't imagine you can get much better than that. If you have 25 hearts would that give you 45, or is there a cap?

Cant get more than 30 hearts between yellow and red

jariw

My son tried
5x durian fruit

I got full recovery +25 hearts with
big heart radishes
. There are hearty fishes as well, that I haven't tried.

Timeaisis

My son tried
5x durian fruit

That's a waste, because you can't get more than 30 hearts total. I think Durian is probably the best ingredient for recovery. Combine it with nearly any other recovery item.

I think 2 or 3x Durian will give you Full Rec + 10 hearts so try that.

Just got a Switch the other day and started playing, but I had a smile on my face the whole time. "Oh, I can go here, and here, and here..." and just wandering around and enjoying all the stuff you can do.

The open world is very well done.

The closest comparison I can think of is Skyrim, with the joy of exploration, but the gameplay is a step above. This could be a very special game.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yes, that's right. But, you can also get additional heart containers by (mild spoilers)
beating the main bosses.

Also, regarding what you choose to spend your orbs on, (mild vague spoilers)
the game has a mechanic that lets you change your mind about what you previously cashed in your orbs for.

Okay that's fantastic. maxcriden I have 2 hearts and 2 stamina (like I said very early) so your advice on going forward? Should I average both? They said stamina for exploring but also you need the hearts for later so what do you think?

Okay that's fantastic. maxcriden I have 2 hearts and 2 stamina (like I said very early) so your advice on going forward? Should I average both? They said stamina for exploring but also you need the hearts for later so what do you think?

Something that's worth noting is there are 30 hearts instead of the traditional 20. I purchased one stamina upgrade and then went for 15 hearts. I took out the story bosses and then started doing sidequests before venturing to the end. I'm still going with 19 hearts and 11 orbs in my inventory.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'll be starting this game as soon as my dog recovers from nearly dying of a major illness :(. Any recommendations or "do's/dont's) when starting so I get the most enjoyment out of it?

Top Bottom