• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Anteo

Can someone answer confirm this for me: do armor effects get stronger as you upgrade them? For instance would a 3 star climbing set let me climb faster than the base level? Thanks.

No but you do get a set bonus at level 2. For the climbing makes it so jumping while climbing takes way less stamina than normal.

Wood Man

My progress:
135 Hours
104 Shrines
103 Korok Seeds

I feel like I'm very far behind in my Korok seed hunt compared to most of you. But I haven't had an issue with equipment space at all.

But I've been doing a good job upgrading my armor. Maxed out 4 different sets, the ones I use the most. Going to find the rest of the shrines, max out my Twilight Armor set then head off for Gannon. Finally.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Saw a video of someone beating their final shrine and saying they are finished with Zelda only for their Korok to be about 39 (because they heard the final count and couldn't be bothered)

How
did
they
cope?

I have all slots unlocked and find myself still throwing weapons away.

Also, that feels like really missing out on exploring. Did they never get curious of anything in the overworld?

Tripon

I've been rotating my elemental weapons because I'm realizing I barely been using them before. So I start with a fire weapon to burn them, then switch to ice to freeze, then electricity to shock them and get rid of their weapons and shields, then I pick my strongest weapon to do damage.

Then I start the chain again, the enemy doesn't really get a chance to counter attack.

Doesn't work with Lynels, though.

joesiv

Encountered my first bag glitch last night. I parasailed toward Hyrule Castle from the North-West, and as I thought I was about to grab onto the structure, I flew through it and many other walls until Link just froze and I couldn't pause or do anything. Had to turn the system off. Wii U.

I've noticed a few annoyances here and there, never a collision issue.

For me, these were annoying:
- One shrine has boulders rolling down a hill, once under control, I could push around them with link. but if I touched them,after I pushed them, even from the backside or side, I'd get damaged. kind of annoying.
- When trying to mount the zora boss, I don't know if it's intentional or not but when I had to shoot arrows at those for areas, my ride kept forcing me to the wrong side for the last of the 4. Maybe it was intentional, so that I was forced to be more challenging, but I thought it was a bug at first as I shot out two in one leap on the first side, I restarted from a save, and did it one at a time to find the same behavior. Maybe not a bug, but this scripted sequence seemed less polished than the rest of the game.

ahh well...

Have you ever just sat down and watched groups of monsters before? There was a large band of Bokoblins hanging out around a campfire so I climbed a tree to spy on them. Was pretty amused by the way they behaved. They looked like they were just relaxing, then the silver one would seem to give a speech or something and they'd all cheer or start dancing. Then I shot a fire arrow into an exploding barrel and killed all but the silver one who ran away before turning to look back. And here you get to feel like an ass as the lone survivor of a once merry band looks on destitute, cautiously returning to the camp, pausing every now and then to cry and wipe its eyes over comrades lost.

hmT8Yx7.png

Speak American!

Seriously, though, is that from a translator app or something?

maxcriden

I've been rotating my elemental weapons because I'm realizing I barely been using them before. So I start with a fire weapon to burn them, then switch to ice to freeze, then electricity to shock them and get rid of their weapons and shields, then I pick my strongest weapon to do damage.

Then I start the chain again, the enemy doesn't really get a chance to counter attack.

Doesn't work with Lynels, though.

It's amazing how useful the elemental items are against wizzrobes. Especially arrows. Those electric wizzrobes can be a real hard time otherwise, especially when they spawn electric keese.

Have you ever just sat down and watched groups of monsters before? There was a large band of Bokoblins hanging out around a campfire so I climbed a tree to spy on them. Was pretty amused by the way they behaved. They looked like they were just relaxing, then the silver one would seem to give a speech or something and they'd all cheer or start dancing. Then I shot a fire arrow into an exploding barrel and killed all but the silver one who ran away before turning to look back. And here you get to feel like an ass as the lone survivor of a once merry band looks on destitute, cautiously returning to the camp, pausing every now and then to cry and wipe its eyes over comrades lost.

I love watching lizalfos chill and use their tongues to catch bugs around their camp. They'll slurp them up, gulp, then let out a little burp.

Ugh, does anyone have tips for the
part where you have to fire bomb arrows while on the sand seal
for the Divine Beast in the desert? Holy shit is this frustrating.

I feel like I can't speed up to get as close as I want because the speed is basically dictated by what's-her-name with the Thunder Helm, and a lot of the time she hangs out where I'm just out of reach of being able to hit its feet.

I've also died three times now because I'll be JUST OUTSIDE of the circle, ugh, so fucking annoying. They really should have made the circle just a tad bigger, maybe I just suck but I feel like it's way to easy to be momentarily outside the safe zone and if the Beast attacks during that split second, back to square one.

This is the first part of the game in several dozen hours that I haven't enjoyed but man, not having fun with this at all.

Edit: Apparently if you dash she'll try her best to catch up with you, I take it you're supposed to dash right after a bolt hits, quickly take out a foot, and then get back in the safe zone. But it's still way to easy to slightly mess up, if you have to turn around to get back to her it's really hard to reliably make it. I just died again after getting three feet down and I was literally inches outside the zone. Riding the sand seal is fun and it's a neat scene, the idea of making the lightning attack a one hit kill was idiotic and ruins it for me though.

I was able to get by by leaving the circle in between major lightning strikes and pummeling it a couple times before catching up to or falling back to the circle before the next round.

Ugh, does anyone have tips for the
part where you have to fire bomb arrows while on the sand seal
for the Divine Beast in the desert? Holy shit is this frustrating.

I feel like I can't speed up to get as close as I want because the speed is basically dictated by what's-her-name with the Thunder Helm, and a lot of the time she hangs out where I'm just out of reach of being able to hit its feet.

I've also died three times now because I'll be JUST OUTSIDE of the circle, ugh, so fucking annoying. They really should have made the circle just a tad bigger, maybe I just suck but I feel like it's way to easy to be momentarily outside the safe zone and if the Beast attacks during that split second, back to square one.

This is the first part of the game in several dozen hours that I haven't enjoyed but man, not having fun with this at all.

Brake and dash often to stay within the bounds. Its the best wya to match her speed. You will get super close to the beast after you dodge a lightning strike or two.

Smeags

At this point the game should be called The Legend of Mine Cart: Link's Excellent Adventure

Its a work in progress.

ReBirFh

I've noticed a few annoyances here and there, never a collision issue.

For me, these were annoying:
- One shrine has boulders rolling down a hill, once under control, I could push around them with link. but if I touched them,after I pushed them, even from the backside or side, I'd get damaged. kind of annoying.
- When trying to mount the zora boss, I don't know if it's intentional or not but when I had to shoot arrows at those for areas, my ride kept forcing me to the wrong side for the last of the 4. Maybe it was intentional, so that I was forced to be more challenging, but I thought it was a bug at first as I shot out two in one leap on the first side, I restarted from a save, and did it one at a time to find the same behavior. Maybe not a bug, but this scripted sequence seemed less polished than the rest of the game.

ahh well...

So far I only had one bug in the entire game. Also in the Pre Zora DB, after the third hit the game would never go to the right side and let me finish it. Had to die and start again.

Crayolan

So far I only had one bug in the entire game. Also in the Pre Zora DB, after the third hit the game would never go to the right side and let me finish it. Had to die and start again.

That's not a glitch. Sidon approaches from whatever side you finish destroying the ice blocks on, but even if you finish on the wrong side you can just paraglide over.

Futureman

I just expanded my slots (err...) like ten times then tried to pull the Master Sword and died. I'm not even mad because I get to hear the amazing "slot expansion song" ten more times!

maxcriden

You don't even need to stasis the laser. You can literally walk behind it which made it in my mind a really useless obstacle.

IIRC, you can jump into one of the alcoves to get to one of the raised platform.

Ah, yes. But I placed a square bomb to a corner, away but not so far that the explotion wouldn't hit the switch. And then with the other type of bombs I aimed them carefully so they wouldn't land close to the square bomb and kept progressing until a... fence was blocking my view.. Switched to the Square Bomb rune and detonated it. That activated the switch to up the pillar and be at the level of the Sheikah monk.

Awesome. Nice work both of you. I think your methods are cleverer than the actual solution since there's no good context clue IMO to make the player think you can
pick up a laser.

At this point the game should be called The Legend of Mine Cart: Link's Excellent Adventure

Its a work in progress.

The Mine-ish Cap.

One of those mine carts
leads to one of my favorite shrines thus far.

I just expanded my slots (err...) like ten times then tried to pull the Master Sword and died. I'm not even mad because I get to hear the amazing "slot expansion song" ten more times!

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but you know
it's heart containers and not general slot expansions that let you pull out the
Master Sword, right?

emb

How in the heck did you get through it otherwise? o__O

It took us forever of exploring it to give up and look up the solution. We couldn't figure out any other way. Did you use
updrafts
or something? That's the only thing occurring to me now that we could have tried. I would have liked a bigger hint that you could
lift the laser.
Never would have guessed that.
I was able to barely jump
from one of the raised pillars onto one of the caged off pillars that was also raised, skipping one of the switching cycles. I think the little tiny bit of height you get when the pillar stops rising helped. Then did the bombs.
Felt very precise, like it should have probably not worked.

I agree, they should probably do a better job of leading you to the actual solution.
I was so content with myself jumping over the laser that I never considered trying to disable it. Though I think I did notice it was Stasis-able, I figured that was just for stopping the laser to get the chest.

maxcriden

I was able to barely jump
from one of the raised pillars onto one of the caged off pillars that was also raised, skipping one of the switching cycles. I think the little tiny bit of height you get when the pillar stops rising helped. Then did the bombs.
Felt very precise, like it should have probably not worked.

I agree, they should probably do a better job of leading you to the actual solution.
I was so content with myself jumping over the laser that I never considered trying to disable it. Though I think I did notice it was Stasis-able, I figured that was just for stopping the laser to get the chest.

Ah ha. Yeah, we did
try jumping to one of the raised pillars as well,
but didn't make a high enough one to see it through even with how we positioned the bombs. I'm impressed that you jumped
the laser.
We just
used stasis on it to get the chest
as you surmised. I wonder if updrafts even work in shrines. I imagine that could be used to cheese too many puzzles so probably not...?

Looking at the map for possible hidden shrines (I have 2 left to find), seems fishy that the mountains encircling Zora's Domain have none. Maybe I should investigate.

Futureman

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but you know
it's heart containers and not general slot expansions that let you pull out the
Master Sword, right?

OH I know. It's just that
where you upgrade your slots is like 10 feet away from where you pull the Master Sword

Did a shrine last night that took me a long time to get through. I look it up now and the actual solution is completely different. Apparently for the Bravery's Grasp shrine you're supposed to
remove the laser and put it on the moving platform. I would have never known! Right after I finished, I thought, how can that platform possibly be useful?

I thought the same thing. Random platform that served no purpose at the moment until I realized from the other shrines what I could with the objects they had in the room.

After I finished, I looked up other people's solutions and they did way more improvising lol.

Anyone know if Nintendo will transfer your DLC prepurchase from Wii U to Switch? I kinda doubt it, and who knows what the Switch stock situation will be like when the DLC drops, but it'd be nice...

Cleared my first two major tests of strength but I had to burn through a chunk of my bomb arrows in the process.

Am I using the ancient arrows incorrectly or are they inferior to bomb arrows (even against guardians)?

maxcriden

Cleared my first two major tests of strength but I had to burn through a chunk of my bomb arrows in the process.

Am I using the ancient arrows incorrectly or are they inferior to bomb arrows (even against guardians)?

I've only ever used ancient arrows on the overworld guardians, one arrow right in the eye does the trick. I seem to get shafted when it comes to finding ancient shafts so I've avoided using them elsewhere. Parrying and Guardian melee weapons are useful for the tests of strength I think.

My Wii U copy's receiving a mandatory update! I thought it played fantastic but wouldn't mind squashing that giant moblin hitching if possible.

This game got my heart racing at mere updates, lo, DLC nees to arrive asap haha

ReBirFh

That's not a glitch. Sidon approaches from whatever side you finish destroying the ice blocks on, but even if you finish on the wrong side you can just paraglide over.
hmm I remember ending up three times on the wrong side... If it was my fault then no bugs so far.

So I have all 120 shrines. My mission log shows I'm still short 4 missions. I take it it's because I didn't speak to ??? NPC before finding 4 of the secret shrines. Can I still speak to NPC or am I stuck with this stat?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Outside drinking a beer with Zelda on pause in my room and I hear about an update. Gonna grab my Switch and play outside now.

I fuck8ng love this system.

atr0cious

Patch note is the same as last time.
Speaking of, was jump always a cancel for animations? Ever since the first patch, I've been able to cancel sword swings with jump, which makes two handing super fun. I thought for sure it wasn't in the base game, because people were cancelling the two hand swing with the weapon switch.

Hopefully it fixes death mountain. First time doing some actual fighting there and the FPS came to a crawl and there were only like two of those giant bokoblins

Jims

Did a shrine last night that took me a long time to get through. I look it up now and the actual solution is completely different. Apparently for the Bravery's Grasp shrine you're supposed to
remove the laser and put it on the moving platform. I would have never known! Right after I finished, I thought, how can that platform possibly be useful?

Oh man, so that's what it was. I ended up just
dropping 2 bombs near the switch (on opposite sides), shot arrows until I flew over to the steps, and then detonated twice to climb the steps. Didn't even think about moving the laser, for some reason.
I solved it, but had this feeling looking at that platform going back and forth that there was some element I didn't understand.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, that's what I did. It took me forever to even think of picking it up, it only occurred to me when I saw I could stasis it.

Top Bottom