• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

maxcriden

Okay that's fantastic. maxcriden I have 2 hearts and 2 stamina (like I said very early) so your advice on going forward? Should I average both? They said stamina for exploring but also you need the hearts for later so what do you think?

It's up to you, really, because you are going to have plenty of opportunity to create heart or stamina buffs using cookpots at any time. However, personally speaking, in playing the game my wife and I focused on getting a total of ten or so hearts before upgrading stamina at all, and relied on elixers when needed. We found that more to our liking and were still able to climb most cliffs, using the designated stopping points and avoiding jumping. With that said, were I to do it over again I would probably upgrade stamina once after getting say four or five additional heart containers just to balance things out a bit since the stamina is very helpful.

rhandino

Banned
I'll be starting this game as soon as my dog recovers from nearly dying of a major illness :(. Any recommendations or "do's/dont's) when starting so I get the most enjoyment out of it?
1) Try to not use guides or read things online for enhanced experience.
2) Explore
3) If you feel lost or that you are doing aimless exploration try following the story path for a little of structure and story pacing.
4) Explore!
5) Talk to everyone
6) EXPLORE!

Some people will say that you should enable Pro HUD (No minimap, weather forecast and temperature/noise indicator) but that would depend of you (I can live without most of them except the weather forecast lol)

Sorry for your dog, I recently lost my cat that lived with us after 3 years and it was a big downer for all of us (even more when we found his body under the living room couch, his favorite spot in the house)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'll be starting this game as soon as my dog recovers from nearly dying of a major illness :(. Any recommendations or "do's/dont's) when starting so I get the most enjoyment out of it?
Do:

Be observant about your surroundings. There are a lot of subtle details put into the world.

Feel free to take your time and explore anything that catches your interest. Getting sidetracked and investigating things that might not be related to what you were doing is one of the core parts of this game.

Try out anything you can think of. There's a ton of stuff the game lets you do mechanically.

Keep to the roads if you want to interact with civilization. You'll run into more NPCs and stuff that way.

Go OFF the roads if you want to just explore the world. You can go almost everywhere by climbing wherever you want as long as you manage your stamina for it.

Don't:

Endlessly save your weapon durability. You'll get back other weapons soon enough, so don't be afraid to break stuff.

Restrict yourself to a given objective or area. The game encourages exploration and sidetracking. Treating it like a linear set of goals like the older 3d Zeldas does the open world style of BoTW a disservice.

What's the most hearty meal it's possible to make, and is there a limit on how many hearts you can have in total?

My son tried
5x durian fruit
which gives Full recovery + 20 hearts. Can't imagine you can get much better than that. If you have 25 hearts would that give you 45, or is there a cap?

That must have been a critical success. I think it's hilarious that you can get a cooking crit.

Didn't see an answer in the last few pages, but does anyone know if the stock of Amiibo at the Nintendo NY store is more robust than the regular stock? Do you think I'll be able to find OOT and WW Link?

Anyone know where to get a
Great Flameblade
? Want to farm some horns and the video I watched had the guy using it to create updrafts. I broke my last one the other day :(

Also, does lighting wood for a campfire reduce durability?

Nyoro SF

Great Flameblade
? Want to farm some horns and the video I watched had the guy using it to create updrafts. I broke my last one the other day :(

If you head to the
Coliseum north of the Great Plateau
, it has a full set of enemies with every elemental weapon.

Should be able to spot the structure from your map.

jariw

Great Flameblade

There's at least one in Hyrule Castle. Don't remember the other places I have seen that weapon. But you can use anything fire to create updrafts, such as a torch, fire arrow, and so on.

Flint slightly reduce durability, at least. Don't know about fire weapons.

maxcriden

Great Flameblade

There's one at the mixed enemy camp in the Eldin
Great Skeleton.

If you head to the
Coliseum north of the Great Plateau
, it has a full set of enemies with every elemental weapon.

Should be able to spot the structure from your map.

Damn that sounds exciting. I'll head that way tonight! Just took out the
Lynel
in the
jungle
. I think I got all the shrines here so I'll move on to that area now. Thank you!

BD1

Banned
I've completed the Main Quest, played about 100 hours and I'm closing in on all 120 Shrines. As I complete the last 15 or so I have left, I'm feeling sad about wrapping up this game.

Very much looking forward to the Holiday DLC.

1) Try to not use guides or read things online for enhanced experience.
2) Explore
3) If you feel lost or that you are doing aimless exploration try following the story path for a little of structure and story pacing.
4) Explore!
5) Talk to everyone
6) EXPLORE!

Some people will say that you should enable Pro HUD (No minimap, weather forecast and temperature/noise indicator) but that would depend of you (I can live without most of them except the weather forecast lol)

Sorry for your dog, I recently lost my cat that lived with us after 3 years and it was a big downer for all of us (even more when we found his body under the living room couch, his favorite spot in the house)
You forgot to tell him to
explore

Shaanyboi

Banned
Great Flameblade

Northwest of the plateau, you should find Mount Daphnes. Check out the large stump sticking out of the water.

I feel like I'm going to have a very D'Oh!! moment after hearing the answer to this, but is there some way to use the
radar
feature on the Sheikah Slate to locate
shrines
?

I feel like there should be, and I tried but couldn't see how, so I gave up that thought

hemo memo

Gold Member
Something that's worth noting is there are 30 hearts instead of the traditional 20. I purchased one stamina upgrade and then went for 15 hearts. I took out the story bosses and then started doing sidequests before venturing to the end. I'm still going with 19 hearts and 11 orbs in my inventory.

It's up to you, really, because you are going to have plenty of opportunity to create heart or stamina buffs using cookpots at any time. However, personally speaking, in playing the game my wife and I focused on getting a total of ten or so hearts before upgrading stamina at all, and relied on elixers when needed. We found that more to our liking and were still able to climb most cliffs, using the designated stopping points and avoiding jumping. With that said, were I to do it over again I would probably upgrade stamina once after getting say four or five additional heart containers just to balance things out a bit since the stamina is very helpful.

Thank you :)

Nosgotham

DO turn on pro Hud as soon as you get off the plateau.

DO turn off shrine seeker as soon as you get it

DO whatever you want. Follow your own path

Shaanyboi

Banned
I feel like I'm going to have a very D'Oh!! moment after hearing the answer to this, but is there some way to use the
radar
feature on the Sheikah Slate to locate
shrines
?

I feel like there should be, and I tried but couldn't see how, so I gave up that thought
Pretty sure it is automatically on, but once you have the radar, go into your map and press Y. It'll just start ringing when you get close to one and are heading in the right direction.

Pretty sure it is automatically on, but once you have the radar, go into your map and press Y. It'll just start ringing when you get close to one and are heading in the right direction.

D: ............. Shit, I totally forgot that it did that at the beginning of the game..... Didn't know the "Press Y on the map" bit, so I used the
sensor
to find Royal items

I feel dumb, but slightly proud at getting 100 shrines without the slate's help for the most part

noshten

So I have over 120 hours and I just figured out that Rock Octoroks can be easily defeated by throwing a bomb and detonating it once they have sucked it in.

Here's a bit of an abstract question.

I completed all the labyrinths last night and I have say, they are some of the coolest pieces of environment in the world. Coming up on the one in Hebra, guarded by a single Lynel in the barren snowscape, I felt like this maze was built for some reason and abandoned. Is there any context for these? I feel like there could be substantial lore about them and I just missed it.

maxcriden

Thank you :)

My pleasure. I also recommend you read the tips on this page for how to potentially best enjoy the game. And please do come back and report how you're progressing and liking the game!

I completed all the labyrinths last night and I have say, they are some of the coolest pieces of environment in the world. Coming up on the one in Hebra, guarded by a single Lynel in the barren snowscape, I felt like this maze was built for some reason and abandoned. Is there any context for these? I feel like there could be substantial lore about them and I just missed it.

I originally thought they were related to
the dragons in Skyward Sword
but now I really don't know, and we've only come across one so I should probably avoid any better answers.

Edit: nevermind sorry haha I thought you were referring to
the skeletons.

DO turn on pro Hud as soon as you get off the plateau.

DO turn off shrine seeker as soon as you get it

DO whatever you want. Follow your own path

I actually disagree with this. It drags the end-game out if you don't even have a clue where shrines vaguely are.

I'm with Crab, here. I regret not keeping the Shrine Sensor on for the first 60 or so hours. I think it's worth it to keep it on and you can always change your mind later or temporarily turn it off. There are a lot of shrines and I would rather know if I'm near one when exploring a remote area I wouldn't plan to return to.

I also respectfully disagree about the pro HUD. Test and see if it works for you or if it doesn't. I personally prefer having it off, but I think it's a personal preference thing vs. a "crucial to experiencing the game" thing.

So I have over 120 hours and I just figured out that Rock Octoroks can be easily defeated by throwing a bomb and detonating it once they have sucked it in.

Apparently they will also give your (mild game mechanic spoilers)
rusty weapons a new shine.

arlucool

Well, I have only done the one in the Gerudo Desert, but I assume the "lore" in them is the same as with any other courage trial: They were designed for the Hero chosen by the Goddess to make him stronger 10,000 years ago(?)

emb

Did a shrine last night that took me a long time to get through. I look it up now and the actual solution is completely different. Apparently for the Bravery's Grasp shrine you're supposed to
remove the laser and put it on the moving platform. I would have never known! Right after I finished, I thought, how can that platform possibly be useful?

Well, I have only done the one in the Gerudo Desert, but I assume the "lore" in them is the same as with any other courage trial: They were designed for the Hero chosen by the Goddess to make him stronger 10,000 years ago(?)

That's possible. I'm just more curious as to who the hell built the things.

maxcriden

Did a shrine last night that took me a long time to get through. I look it up now and the actual solution is completely different. Apparently for the Bravery's Grasp shrine you're supposed to
remove the laser and put it on the moving platform. I would have never known! Right after I finished, I thought, how can that platform possibly be useful?

How in the heck did you get through it otherwise? o__O

It took us forever of exploring it to give up and look up the solution. We couldn't figure out any other way. Did you use
updrafts
or something? That's the only thing occurring to me now that we could have tried. I would have liked a bigger hint that you could
lift the laser.
Never would have guessed that.

arlucool

That's possible. I'm just more curious as to who the hell built the things.

I had a similar feeling when I got to Lanayru Square, or exploring the ruins in Akkala. I want to see all this locations in their former glory. :c
It reminds me a little of Twilight Princess in that sense. Hopefully that will be another convention they'll get rid of: Hyrule Kingdom in a stay of decaed.

hemo memo

Gold Member
My pleasure. I also recommend you read the tips on this page for how to potentially best enjoy the game. And please do come back and report how you're progressing and liking the game!

Got my ass kicked in the
Muwo Jeem
shrine.. I think I'm moving too fast :/

schopaia

There are stats, but except for hearts and stamina, they're not character based. Armor has stats, but you can only upgrade it gradually, as you continue to play the game. And weapons have stats, but due to breaking after a couple of uses, you can't entirely break the game progression when getting a really strong one early.

Then there's of course enemy scaling to accommodate that you'll sport better equipment later on. Which will in turn also provide you with better weaponry taken from the enemies.

Really good explanation - also a great counter point to the endless complaining about weapons breaking. Keeping the open world design and having unbreakable weapons would mean you could beeline to the strongest weapon and you'd just use that for the rest of the game.

arlucool

How in the heck did you get through it otherwise? o__O

It took us forever of exploring it to give up and look up the solution. We couldn't figure out any other way. Did you use
updrafts
or something? That's the only thing occurring to me now that we could have tried. I would have liked a bigger hint that you could
lift the laser.
Never would have guessed that.

Is that the one where a glowing switch lower and ups some pillars? I used the two types of remote bombs to "hit" it. What I did did was to stasis the laser so I could get the treasure, xD

maxcriden

Got my ass kicked in the
Muwo Jeem
shrine.. I think I'm moving too fast :/

Nah, you're not moving too fast - no such thing, you can explore the game at whichever pace you like, dependent on your in-game attributes and weapons - you just so happened to run across a decently tough shrine. That is absolutely not considered an easy one, but you will just find some to be tougher than others. You should feel free to explore wherever, though. Some places will just happen to have tougher environs and/or shrines than others.

Personally, I recommend you at least complete the main quest through the first two big village stops, to complete
your Sheikah Slate
before adventuring too heavily, as this will aid very much in exploration, but that's a recommendation and by no means something you must do.

Is that the one where a glowing switch lower and ups some pillars? I used the two types of remote bombs to "hit" it. What I did did was to stasis the laser so I could get the treasure, xD

Yes, that's the one. We used two types of remote bombs too but based on the number of times you need to raise/lower the pillars it wasn't enough seemingly. We did stasis the laser too, heh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lol. I too clearly got through that shrine with the wrong method as I didn't
use the platform either and was puzzled by its inclusion.

You don't even need to stasis the laser. You can literally walk behind it which made it in my mind a really useless obstacle.

Yes, that's the one. We used two types of remote bombs too but based on the number of times you need to raise/lower the pillars it wasn't enough seemingly. We did stasis the laser too, heh.
IIRC, you can jump into one of the alcoves to get to one of the raised platform.

I had a similar feeling when I got to Lanayru Square, or exploring the ruins in Akkala. I want to see all this locations in their former glory. :c
It reminds me a little of Twilight Princess in that sense. Hopefully that will be another convention they'll get rid of: Hyrule Kingdom in a stay of decaed.

Yea. I'd honestly be perfectly OK with them doing an OoT and giving us the ability to go into the past or something. With today's technology, developers could actually make it so actions in the past affect the future and we wouldn't get any weird Song of Storms situations.

arlucool

Ah, yes. But I placed a square bomb to a corner, away but not so far that the explotion wouldn't hit the switch. And then with the other type of bombs I aimed them carefully so they wouldn't land close to the square bomb and kept progressing until a... fence was blocking my view.. Switched to the Square Bomb rune and detonated it. That activated the switch to up the pillar and be at the level of the Sheikah monk.

oti

Banned
Yesterday I finished Zelda after 120h.
Today all I can think about is Zelda.
Also, im listening to the soundtrack all the time lol.

I'm a little bummed out by the lack of Darknuts in this game, or at least I haven't seen them be mentioned anywhere :<

Yeah. Imagine Darknuts getting the treatment Lynels got in this game.

Could've made the Divine Beasts a lot more challenging. And there are ways around the "do them in any order" design; maybe each dungeon has 3 rooms where a Darknut could be, but in the 1st one you do, they're all empty. 2nd one has 1 Darknut, then 2, then 3.

Oh, well, lots of ideas for future Zelda games! Or who knows, there is a "Cave of Trials" or some such planned as DLC, right? Maybe we'll see Darknuts in there.

You forgot to tell him to
explore

. -..- .--. .-.. --- .-. .

hmT8Yx7.png

Encountered my first bag glitch last night. I parasailed toward Hyrule Castle from the North-West, and as I thought I was about to grab onto the structure, I flew through it and many other walls until Link just froze and I couldn't pause or do anything. Had to turn the system off. Wii U.

Can someone answer confirm this for me: do armor effects get stronger as you upgrade them? For instance would a 3 star climbing set let me climb faster than the base level? Thanks.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Can someone answer confirm this for me: do armor effects get stronger as you upgrade them? For instance would a 3 star climbing set let me climb faster than the base level? Thanks.
No, but you may get a new ability when upgrading the whole set to two stars (not really spoiler, great fairy tells you this when upgrading).

Top Bottom