• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

So I "finished" the game on 120 shrines and 430 Koroks a fortnight ago, and since then I've mostly been dabbling in other, smaller games, occasionally poking my nose back into BotW to scan some Amiibo or try a few tricks like
using Amiibo chests to shortcut my way through Korok challenges, moving heavy objects like boulders without Stasis.
But in the past few days I've fallen back into Hyrule headfirst.

I'm now playing with a rule of no fast travel: no point, anyway, when it's mainly Koroks I'm missing and I'm likely to bypass them if I warp everywhere (though I reserve the right to violate this rule if I'm chasing down a Star Fragment, as I need them for Amiibo gear upgrades). It's wonderful, and I strongly recommend it as a post-completion activity.

This game does not let up when you think you've completed everything. I was effectively done—short of a few side quests, yes, but with no intention of collecting every Korok or checking every spot on the map to get to 100%—and I still beheld new experiences like I was back in the mid-game again, only this time without any remaining shrines:

- Discovered an entire mini-game I didn't know existed (
the golf course under Tabantha Bridge
);
- Found a significant post-Divine Beast quest chain and reward that I had somehow completely missed (
the Thunder Helm chain in Gerudo Town, which also filled in what several of the NPCs were for
);
- Went back to inspect the massive crack in the ice high up in the
Gerudo Highlands
, one of the first areas I explored in my first 10-20 hours before I knew how to look for Koroks, only to see
the dragon Farosh barrelling straight towards me and ejecting balls of electricity everywhere, suddenly explaining why the crack was there
;
- Attacked an enemy camp for the heck of it, just to try out new tactics, which serendipitously brought me to the stumbling block that precluded me from completing the
Weapon Connoisseur
side quest before I hit the end credits (
a Frostspear dropped by a Bokoblin at a camp in Hebra
)—and, adhering to my rule of no fast travel, rode all the way across the world back to Hateno Village to turn it in;
- Located fairly obvious Koroks pretty much every time I sat down with the game, sometimes within minutes, even though I was already well over the bar of 441 to obtain all inventory slots.

Let me assure you that if you are the kind of player who takes inherent pleasure in running around in the world, and particularly if you enjoy BotW enough that after completing the game you feel a certain craving to run around the world for no reason at all (because somehow, that is actually more appealing in the moment than playing any other game), it is absolutely worthwhile to just load up the game and fool around. The Korok system makes a lot of sense to me now. I'm in that zone of over 441 and far under 900 where in terms of utility, they are absolutely pointless. I still have no intention to get to 900. But it's unspeakably nice just to have them there: if you want to run around Hyrule, they give you a reason to pay attention to the landscape, keep your eyes peeled, dismount from your horse from time to time. The tantalizing promise of hundreds of Koroks still out there to be found leads your eye to no end of new locations that, on previous visits, you just narrowly missed.

And all the while, the landscape continues to take my breath away. I mean this in a literal sense: I ride around the hills and over the ridges and through the lightning storms and I am physically short of breath at the beauty and majesty of it all.

It's possible I love this game.

Let me assure you that if you are the kind of player who takes inherent pleasure in running around in the world, and particularly if you enjoy BotW enough that after completing the game you feel a certain craving to run around the world for no reason at all (because somehow, that is actually more appealing in the moment than playing any other game), it is absolutely worthwhile to just load up the game and fool around. The Korok system makes a lot of sense to me now. I'm in that zone of over 441 and far under 900 where in terms of utility, they are absolutely pointless. I still have no intention to get to 900. But it's unspeakably nice just to have them there: if you want to run around Hyrule, they give you a reason to pay attention to the landscape, keep your eyes peeled, dismount from your horse from time to time. The tantalizing promise of hundreds of Koroks still out there to be found leads your eye to no end of new locations that, on previous visits, you just narrowly missed.

And all the while, the landscape continues to take my breath away. I mean this in a literal sense: I ride around the hills and over the ridges and through the lightning storms and I am physically short of breath at the beauty and majesty of it all.

It's possible I love this game.

I have similar post-game feelings. From a distance, I think about how it could have done so-and-so better, or what could be in a sequel, but if I enter the game for a few armor upgrades or Koroks, I find myself playing for an hour or more soaking it in. It really feels like that Mario 64 goal of a game that's simply fun to exist in.

Pinky

Banned
Feels like I'm the only one who doesn't find Zelda's voice terrible.

I think it's okay at times, but, most of the time, it's way overdone. Now, her design, on the other hand, is beautiful. Design-wise, BotW Zelda and SS Zelda are the best in the series, IMO.

My Deluxe Edition guide just came in!

Holy shit this thing is fucking HUGE!

VLNQrIu.jpg

Jaagen

Are there any alternative ways of entering
Gerudo Town
, other than
spending 600 rupees on womens clothing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need a
wind cleaver
my guess is that's what the bigger yiga clan guys use in the HQ? So do I have to go back there to get one? I thought I killed one before but the weapon despawned.

I need a
wind cleaver
my guess is that's what the bigger yiga clan guys use in the HQ? So do I have to go back there to get one? I thought I killed one before but the weapon despawned.

They also occasionally spawn in the overworld instead of the smaller Yigas. Can't say for sure, but they seem more likely to show up in Akkala.

Lexxon

My progress:
135 Hours
104 Shrines
103 Korok Seeds

I feel like I'm very far behind in my Korok seed hunt compared to most of you. But I haven't had an issue with equipment space at all.

But I've been doing a good job upgrading my armor. Maxed out 4 different sets, the ones I use the most. Going to find the rest of the shrines, max out my Twilight Armor set then head off for Gannon. Finally.

You have almost exactly my Shrine and seed stats (I know it's 104 shrines, I want to say it's 103 seeds too!), my seed + shrine count has been pretty close since around ~60-70, before that shrines were way ahead. I've missed SO MANY SEEDS. I just defeated Ganon last night.

I did it in ~80 hours though. Once I started dabbling in other games (Andromeda mostly) I lost some patience in exploring and started looking some quests up that were frustrating me.

The biggest thing that surprised me is how many sidequests I missed. I have 4 active, and I'm missing something like 30. I'm also missing 11 shrine quests.

jepense

I need a
wind cleaver
No. They spawn in the overworld too. At least in central Hyrule.

TheJoRu

I find it to be uneven. There are times when I think it's pretty good, but the delivery often feels a bit insecure, which I think doesn't fit the character all that well. It's not that they couldn't have Zelda be that kind of character, but it feels like the writing positions her as more confident and strong than the voice acting would have you believe.

I have similar post-game feelings. From a distance, I think about how it could have done so-and-so better, or what could be in a sequel, but if I enter the game for a few armor upgrades or Koroks, I find myself playing for an hour or more soaking it in. It really feels like that Mario 64 goal of a game that's simply fun to exist in.

I think we're all familiar with treating a Zelda game as a dense, unforgettable experience where you hit 20 hearts, mop up the big side quests, and put the disc away for years. Then there are all the games that are built for dabbling: a race in Mario Kart, watering some flowers in Animal Crossing, things you do when you have an itch to press some buttons for half an hour but no attention span to cut through a backlog of bigger games that are sitting unplayed.

BotW is the rare kind of game that is both of these at once. You can play it to hit 120 shrines and hit the end credits before putting it away for months (which I think appeals to more objective-driven players who need designed, tangible goals and feel finished once those goals are met), or you can dive back in and dabble for an hour to stave off the feeling that you want to play something but don't know what to play.

I own BotW on a cartridge, and I'm beginning to think I might go digital over physical on more Switch games than I originally intended, specifically to keep BotW on hand at all times.

Red

I have gone through 40+ hearts worth of healing foods at the base of death mountain. I assume there is some way to prevent everything from burning up. Heat-resistant foods aren't working. I saved at some shrine in the middle of a lava pool. On my way to the tower.

Boem

I have gone through 40+ hearts worth of healing foods at the base of death mountain. I assume there is some way to prevent everything from burning up. Heat-resistant foods aren't working. I saved at some shrine in the middle of a lava pool. On my way to the tower.

I got more heat resistance potions than I ever needed from NPC's in that area, and I quickly got some outfits that protected against intense heat.

Make sure you're not wearing wooden weapons/shields. Those will burn.

Red

I got more heat resistance potions than I ever needed from NPC's, and I quickly got some outfits that protected against intense heat.

Make sure you're not wearing wooden weapons/shields. Those will burn.
Yeah I forgot to unequip a +damage korok bow, was a little disappointed.

It's not as well explained as it could be, but heat resistance is different from flame resistance, which is what you need for Death Mountain. There's a woman at a stable at the foot of the mountain that'll sell you fireproof elixirs, and you can get fireproof armor when you get to Goron City.

duckroll

You know. If I wandered into a really hot place that started setting me on fire, I would probably leave and look for help instead of staying there and burning up. Just a thought.

sqwarlock

I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game after writing it off initially. Playing on the WiiU and have pumped so many hours into it. Only done one Divine Beast (the Zora one) and have three or four towers left to go. Trying to get all of those done before focusing on the rest of the world.

While I would love to play this on the Switch, I can't justify the cost. That being said, if I end up with a Switch in the future, I can't imagine I'll want to revisit this. When I dump this many hours into a game, it's usually only going to happen once.

spekkeh

Banned
Welp two seconds into the fight with Ganon I accidentally
one shot my own horse
. I both love it and hate it that shit like that can happen.

Pinky

Banned
You know. If I wandered into a really hot place that started setting me on fire, I would probably leave and look for help instead of staying there and burning up. Just a thought.

Or, if you know you're a goner, just throw some raw meat on your stomach and cook up your last meal before you die.

hot-shots-o.gif

Tripon

Eh, I tackled Death Mountain last, but figured that the Gorgan town must have sold clothing that prevented being set on fire. Of course I wasted half a page of food to just get to the town....

Red

You lack doggedness.

I had a few +20 heart foods that served me well.

Jyester

I started talking to a shopkeeper just as my heat potion wore off and he was extremely concerned.

Fuck that! I ran and glided all the way.
I assumed Goron City had to be nearby since it was Death Mountain. The look on the armor shop's shopkeeper when he saw me in regular armor was hilarious, though. He yelled at me to buy his armor so I didn't burn up. I think I had one or two hearts remaining with no food left by the time I made it there. And then that Goron child sells elixirs? Are you kidding me?

I later learned that someone in the nearby stable tells you how to make the elixirs haha.

arlucool

Is this actually true? Or do they just power up naturally as you get further into the game?
I don't know about stronger enemies but there's a cooking book in the Gerudo city that hints that cooking under a Red Moon causes the dishes to have their maximun effect.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Holy shit. I've played this game for 140 hours and I only have 84 seeds 34 shrines and one divine beast completed.

Been dicking around most of the time. I guess I don't want my adventure to end<3

Still have like three or four continents to unlock too. Should probably start using the roads as well since I have only seen three villages so far.

spekkeh

Banned
I couldn't find the Hyrule Castle memory. I guess it leaves me something to do after finishing it.

So I just googled Mipha's voice actress.

14f53e92694ac1dd3108c4a29d8a6053.gif

Nope, I'm with you and after watching all of the memories back to back I've come to the conclusion the voice acting complaints are nuts. Only ones I had a problem with were Mipha who just sort of speaks in a sing song voice, and the Deku Tree who speaks with a rather odd pacing, like a first pass reading straight from a script. I like Zelda quite a bit.

Kyzer

Banned
I think the voice acting is incredible, better than most games. Everyone has a very distinct voice with a lot of character and I found the scenes to be well-acted

joesiv

That's not a glitch. Sidon approaches from whatever side you finish destroying the ice blocks on, but even if you finish on the wrong side you can just paraglide over.

That's what I ended up doing, but it would have been more polished to at least have a voice over, or text, saying something like "I can't get to the other side, you'll have to find another way to get the last one", it just seemed unpolished compared to the rest of the experience.

Top Bottom