• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

What's up with the (northern tower)
Akkala tower malice eye? I didnt notice anything different after killing it. Also, does anything happen when all the torches around the tower are lit? I don't know if I found them all.

I have 6 shrines to go and nfi where they are. My general rule of thumb for hunting them now is to look at areas of my world map that haven't been populated by shrines for a good amount of distance.

arlucool

Akkala tower malice eye? I didnt notice anything different after killing it. Also, does anything happen when all the torches around the tower are lit? I don't know if I found them all.

Are those torches with blue flame? I've been wondering this, too. Torches also appear in Hateno and Akkala laboratory, but doesn't seem to trigger anything?

Btw, I just found the
4th Great Fairy
and I can't believe what I just saw. Talk about suggestive themes, haha... Only Nintendo could've made that animation work.

Adryuu

Shit Link's idle animation at night is getting sleepy, lol.

I finished Kass's quest line and I can only love that character even more. Best mate. My birdie bro.

MDave

Don't know how many hours I have spent with this game but it has been consuming me for the past few weeks. I now have all beasts, all memories, all shrines, 201 korok seeds and upgraded every armor to the max. If I sell all the gems I have on me now I end up with roughly 70k in rupees. I did not get any headgear you can buy in
Gerudo Town
but might get them but they are definitely not worth upgrading once you have all armors maxed out (I already have 2, one found in a shrine the other for the sidequest).

I know it's time to go for Ganon but I just don't want this to end. Was thinking about getting the headgears and max those too, it's just the need for star fragments makes this a no go for me. I think I have 2 left but farming those is a real pain. I got the ones I needed from npcs or from enemy drops and I had 2 fall during normal gameplay, I just don't want to sit on a mountain for hours just to uprade something I don't need. I could search for more korok seeds but I don't think searching for more korok seeds is worth it in the end.

I might have to finally head for the final battle... SAD!

Edit: I really love this game but I have to agree that the voice acting can be horrible at times. Even though I'm German I play all my games in English, it just wouldn't feel right in German. But since I heard the German voice acting at a friend's I wish I could just select German voices with English in game text. The German voices simply put the English ones to shame.

Oh, you haven't found the star fragment that is inside a chest on the over world? Pretty sure it respawn after a blood moon, might be the fasted way to get them. It is in a well hidden enemy camp I suppose :p now go spend another 50 hours looking for the camp hah!

ReBirFh

Meh, I disagree, the open world gameplay has been very free form, I've just started tackling the beasts, this one seemed very linear, and my fish dude was very chatty, it just seemed out of place why he wasn't going to the other side, I was waiting many rounds of the ice attacks. Even if he didn't spell it out, at least tell me why he isn't going to the other side... "I can't find an opening on the other side!" That would have been enough for us to know we have to try to get creative.

To me this should have been found in play testing, but if you've played the scenario hundreds of times, like the QA testers, and the developers, they'd know how the scenario worked, so it'd be easy to miss.

Exactly, it was the only thing that seemed like a bug to me. There was no reason for him to not reach the other side after you cleared the wave of of ice attacks muçtiple times and it didn't occur to me trying to fly over because I had very little stamina and the act os slo-mo shooting depletes it.

ReBirFh

I don't know if it is the malice I'm remembering but
but it drops a metal door to be used as bridge in certain parts.

Adryuu

I've never had it unskipable, just make sure you press x then + and only +.

I was going for Ganon tomorrow but I just found a shrine mission or two just before closing for today. Well I'll go with 107 shrines done I suppose, unless I find more while solving these two.

Lots of side missions to complete though but I'll probably do it after finishing the story.

Also 1 memory left so I'll bail out to talk to that quest giver before pushing to the end.

150 hours says my Wii U system, and I can easily see another 30-50 spent on side missions and rest of shrines and fucking around.

This game is SO GOOD.

Ogni-XR21

Oh, you haven't found the star fragment that is inside a chest on the over world? Pretty sure it respawn after a blood moon, might be the fasted way to get them. It is in a well hidden enemy camp I suppose :p now go spend another 50 hours looking for the camp hah!

I think I got 6 from sidequests/chests and 2 fell from the sky (that I saw dropping and actually found later). I was under the impression that chests are not affected by blood moon, is that one different because it's connected to killing those enemies?

I honestly couldn't tell if I found that one... but there really is no point in upgrading the headgears anyway... I'll see ... who knows ... I guess there are still some sidequests I haven't done...

SomTervo

This is funny to me because there are a crazy amount of variations all of over the UK as far as English goes. Like, I think I read somewhere that the dialect changes like every 20 kilometers or something.

The accent changes; not the dialect.

And arguably there is no accent like Zelda's. I don't think she's too bad but it's certainly not good.

If you're going faux-medieval, it's not even the right British accent. There was a marked shift in the way English was pronounced in the 16th and 17th centuries, and 'posh English' dates from after that shift. English as it was originally spoken is preserved only in the more rural dialects, especially Gloucestershire which probably has the most conservative sound. If you pronounce 'cider' without an 'o' sound, you're not being authentic enough.

The game doesn't seem faux anything. The great vowel shift isn't relevant here. I can't think of any media which feature pre-GVS English.

This is true, but Zelda is trying to do BBC English/Oxford English, which is rapidly becoming the predominant accent and is the 'stereotypical' British accent (that and RP). It's also my accent.

That said, if what you're saying is that you want a Geordie Zelda, I'm all in. Cheryl Cole for next Zelda VA here we go!

EDIT: and no subtitles, either. You figure it out yourself!

Sorry, RP is nowhere near becoming predominant. If anything it's being rapidly dispreferred.

Geordie Zelda would be great though

"why aye Link"

Red

I don't know if it is the malice I'm remembering but
but it drops a metal door to be used as bridge in certain parts.
I never saw a metal door. It must do something, but I didn't notice any change.

Kass song at the death mountain stable is the worst. The worst!

Calamity came, and the people were sad
The green chap Link was the best they had
To fight evil Ganon, who was very bad.
Link beat the baddie, and the people were glad.
They were no longer sad cause Ganon was bad.

Stopdoor

Game is genuinely enjoyable, been playing for about two hours now. Discovery and sense of achievement is on point.

Nintendo should really patch in a way to drop weapons and shields from the dpad menu though, I can see this getting annoying really fast. Weapon durability isn't as bad as I expected, I wonder if I can turn off the message in game though? Otherwise I will just null the text but the former is obviously much more preferable.

You can throw weapons, which takes care of part of that problem.

Zelda's VA might be okay if you're American, but if you're British you have to suffer someone committing a savage desecration of your accent with all the finesse of a drugged up rhinoceros. In general, the voice-acting was super poor in BotW, I'm not making any excuses. It is especially disappointing given how good it was for Kid Icarus.

I don't feel like she's trying to sound British. She simply sounds posh and scholarly, like this is what the dialect of the educated royalty of Hyrule sounds like.

Luigi87

Just finished the game. Did all the shrines and got all the memories before completing.

The Legend of Zelda, the series, is my favourite anything. It's the one thing I obsess over, and all my friends and family know this. This was a pretty special game for me. Breath of the Wild, for the most part, surpassed any expectation I had of the game. It is one of the best video games I have ever played.

... That being said I don't think it is without its flaws. I don't mean durability, because I actually didn't mind that much... No my main issue lays with the four main dungeons being rather uninspired. They were neat ideas that lack the appeal of the previous games. I don't wish to go into a spiel about that though.

Zelda herself is one of my favourite incarnations of the character due to her being a scholarly type, and her design. She equals Skyward Sword's for me I suppose.

Of course now I go into the post-Zelda blues knowing it'll be years before another Zelda game of this scale is released.

Whenever I eventually replay it, I don't see myself doing all the Shrines again, but still... I will replay it.

Menitta

After you fully upgrade your sheikah slate, what are the uses for Ancient Screws and Springs and such? Or could I just sell them?

Kevtones

I've loved all 3 of the main dungeons I've done. I don't think they're flawed design-wise nor approach-wise and entering each has been a unique thrill.

That said, the dungeons don't feel noticeably epic in comparison to shrines. I think this is why they're getting flack. When you have 4 main beasts vs. 120 shrines, it's a fair assumption to expect those four dungeons to be on an entirely different level. They're clever, well-designed, but they're not giant and they're not as stark as prior dungeons.

Still, the game isn't really flawed that way but it could be better. I say that while at the same time feeling like this is going to surpass OOT to be my GOAT.

Saved Eventide Island for my last shrine. At that point I was so ready to be done with them that I cheesed the quest by dropping all my armor on the shore, activating the quest, and then picking the stuff back up. Beating the game and completing the shrines only took...150 hours.

Now to upgrade all the classic Link outfits. Some of these requirements are insane. 30 Ambers?! And these star fragments, Christ.

I have 6 shrines to go and nfi where they are. My general rule of thumb for hunting them now is to look at areas of my world map that haven't been populated by shrines for a good amount of distance.

Good luck. I finally found the last shrines yesterday, I have been stuck at 118 for two weeks.

I did the same strategy as you, but it doesn't work that great.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Saved Eventide Island for my last shrine. At that point I was so ready to be done with them that I cheesed the quest by dropping all my armor on the shore, activating the quest, and then picking the stuff back up. Beating the game and completing the shrines only took...150 hours.

Now to upgrade all the classic Link outfits. Some of these requirements are insane. 30 Ambers?! And these star fragments, Christ.
...30 ambers is nothing.

Put 81+ hours into the game in March. Haven't touched it in April.

At 50 hours, it got too easy. I was able to kill lynels without a shield and barely any weapons. I'd play until I had to stop because all of my weapons broke.

At this point, if I try to go for 100% or something, I'd just get super bored, and I don't want to play the game out before the Hard mode DLC drops. I do have a lot of side quests to finish, though...

watershed

Banned
Someday someone is going to write or record an amazing retrospective looking at how Skyward Sword brought us to BOTW. From big design philosophy to the minute details of UI and gameplay loops, the two are so different. Yet it came from the same developers and even the same director.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, RP is nowhere near becoming predominant. If anything it's being rapidly dispreferred.

Geordie Zelda would be great though

"why aye Link"

No, I meant RP is the other 'stereotypical' English accent you see in American media, even if it is actually very uncommon and becoming more so over time; not that it was becoming predominant like BBC English.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I'm British and I don't mind Zelda's voice, but my opinion may be affected because I heard a lot of negativity about it before going in so I was expecting much worse.

Though I should note, while I said I didn't mind Zelda's voice, it doesn't mean I'm a fan of some of the others.

What I find funny about the VA is how token it is. Almost like Nintendo said, "here's your damned VA" for one line and then they go back to text in a box. Prince Sidon is a classic example of this. Literally just says hello and that's it.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm a fan of the silly soundbites method.

SomTervo

No, I meant RP is the other 'stereotypical' English accent you see in American media, even if it is actually very uncommon and becoming more so over time; not that it was becoming predominant like BBC English.

Nice one, that makes sense.

CassSept

Someday someone is going to write or record an amazing retrospective looking at how Skyward Sword brought us to BOTW. From big design philosophy to the minute details of UI and gameplay loops, the two are so different. Yet it came from the same developers and even the same director.

Actually while the general idea is vastly different when you get down to smaller details you can notice similarities.

Streamlining items (fewer items, used more consistently over the entire game), expandable limited inventory, stamina gauge for running/climbing, collecting materials to upgrade gear/prepare potions, these were all introduced in Skyward Sword and built upon in Breath of the Wild. I'd say some ideas like overly advanced ancient technology, which was sometimes hinted upon but never quite taken to the level seen with Lanayru timeshift stones and ancient mines, had been continuously used with Sheikah technology.

I'd say instrumentation in Breath of the Wild is the extension of what was done in Skyward Sword (as the first Zelda game to use orchestrated music) - particularly in Gerudo and Eldin regions.

Art style is debatable, on one hand it's the continued use of art styles that are inspired by 2D animations with adult link, on the other BotW is more reminiscent of TWW.

I think in the finer details you can see how BotW is the next entry in the series after SS.

Chinbo37

Im nearing 60 hours and still only have 1 DB.

I am right next to the second and each time i say "ok this time I will go for it" and I end up getting side tracked doing shrines, seeds and side quests.

I THINK, FINALLY, I will go for it tonight.

spekkeh

Banned
giphy.gif

Top Bottom